Hillberry (Cold Clay) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1864

Hillberry (Cold Clay) c.1950

Closed 1971 and buildings (chapel + Sunday School/reading room) sold 1972.

The name was 'invented' the original Manx name being cronk-e-berry (hill of sharp point)

In 1920s a reading room + SS erected across road - part paid by a gift from a Wm Sayle in USA

Grid Reference SC387798


Land, part of intack called Monalghall in onchan, sold by John Oates 7 March 1863 to James Cowin for £5 Cowin then transferred it (15 July 1863) to the first trustees:

Most of these were well-known figures in Douglas Wesleyan Methodism.


 Chapel Index

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 1999