[Fom Manx Soc vol 29]
The parish church, dedicated to St. Columbus, was consecrated 1st November 1759.
The living is in the gift of the crown.
£141 8 0
Glebe, 4 ac. 3 ro. 36 poles. Rateable value
12 8 9
£153 16 9
A good vicarage-house and garden. Bishop Wilson, with the assistance of the parish, built the former house.
The register commences in 1652.
The church is 78 feet long by 27 feet broad. An old stone font.
In an old map of the island the parish is called Kirk Kerebrey,
In the twenty-fourth year of Edward 1. (1295) is the following presentation to the living :"Alan of Wygeton (Whithorn, in Galloway), has letters of presentation to the vacant benefice of St. Carber, in Man, in the gift of the king, on account of the land of Man being in the king's hand."-Rotuli Scotim
An Act received the assent of the Duke of Atholl and Strange on the 24th of February 1758, for the removal and rebuilding the parish church on the north side of the old church, and within the precincts of the churchyard.-Mill's Statutes, pp. 325-326.
A board is affixed to the wall in the chancel with an inscription in old English characters, said to have been removed from the friary, on which is the name of "Thomas Radcliffe, Abbot"
VICARS OF ARBORY.
|Appointed.||Cause of Vacancy.|
|ALAN of Whithorn .||June 16,1291|
|By gift of Edward I. Manx Society, vol. vii. p. 113. Bishop in 1305.|
|DOMINIC KENNETH .||1370|
|Died vicar about 1372.|
|MALTYR||1372||Death of D.Kenneth.|
|Son of Judge John. Clerk of thediocese of Sodor. Chronicle of Man, Dr. Goss. Manx Society,vol. xxiii. p. 392.|
|AYG MAC PETER||1375|
|" Of Kerepol in Sodor." Manx Society, vol. xxiii. p. 404|
|JAMES SMYTH .||1577|
|Vicar of Jurby 1585.|
|Robert Parr "and his assigns, theclerkship of Kk. Arbory, with theglebe and fine." "Lord's Book,"1610.|
|THOMAS HARRISON .||1623|
|Resigned 1650. Robert Parre "the clerkship, and his assigns, for twenty-one years, and fine." " Lord's Book," 1630.|
|JOHN CRELLIN .||1650||Resignation of R.Norris.|
|The parishioners petitioned to have him presented to the living,|
|SAMUEL ROBINSON .||April 23,1680|
|Bishop Wilson supplied the vicarage for 1712, and gave the proceeds thereof to the building.|
|ROBERT PARR .||April 13,1713|
|Rector of Bride 1723.|
|CHARLES WATTLEWORTH .||June 21,1726|
|Son of Archdeacon Samuel Wattleworth. Died 26th May 1728. Aged 52. Buried in German Cathedral.|
|JOHN QUAYLE .||July 1,1728||Death of CharlesWattleworth.|
|Vicar of Rushen 1729.|
|JOHN MOORE .||July 6,1748|
|Vicar-General. Translated Deuteronomy into Manx. Buried 23d September 1791, aged 77, at Arbory. Vicar fifty years|
|JOHN CHRISTIAN||Oct. 20,1791||Death of John Moore.|
|ALEXANDER GELLING||March 4,1816|
|JOHN QUALTROUGH .||Aug. 16,1859|
|Rector of Bride 1875.|
|WILLIAM THOMAS DINWOODY||1875||Resignation of John Qualtrough.|
|Died 14th October 1876. Aged 38. Buried in German Cemetery.|
|FREDERICK GRIER||1876||Death of W. T. Dinwoody.|