[From Feltham's Tour, 1798]
Is a rectory and archdeaconry; bounded by the sea on the north, Lezayre on the south, Bride on the east, and Jurby on the west.
This parish is flat and devoid of mountains, as are most of the northern parishes beyond the range of promontories described as running through Lezayre. This flat tract affords much and excellent peat, and is termed the Curragh; but by drains, and the fine marl found in this parish, the crops are rendered firm and good.
Of curiosities in this parish, may be mentioned the ancient fort
behind Mr. Christian's, at Ballachurry * which, though modern
compared with the various Druidical and Danish remains, may yet be
esteemed a great curiosity. Besides this,there are, the Cabal Druaig,
the remains of an old chapel, and several tumuli.
[ * This noble old camp, Mr. Townley thinks is not older than Charles I. This conjecture he grounds on having seen several similar to this formed durring the civil war; he therefore thinks it was formed when the troops of the Lord Protector Cromwell were in the island. It is the most complete of any of that time, and the situation is a most eligible one, upon a small natural eminence, in a very level district. There are four noble bastions at the four corners, and it is surrounded with a wet fosse of very ample dimensions. The internal square for the troops to encamp upon, is a fine level piece of ground, sunk so much below the bastions and curtains as effectually to secure the troops within from any outward attack by fire-arms. There is not the least breach in the works. Ballachurry is a very pretty situation, rendered pleasant by some charming plantations made by Mr. Christian within memory, and which thrive well.
The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and is one of the oldest in the island; fifty-three feet in length, and eighteen in width. The inside is too primitive for modern comfort, and the whole too ruinous for its liberal endowments.
We trust the Archdeacon, Lord George, and his Grace the Duke, will gratify the parishioners in the very necessary erection of a new temple of worship.
The parochial school is supported out of Queen Anne's Bounties, and the impropriate fund.
Lanemore and Rue Point creeks are in this parish.
There are two poor funds, amounting both to about 20l. per annum. One for distressed farmers; the other for the parish poor.
The register begins 1666. A N.B. at the beginning of it says,"The old church registry is much defaced, torn, and abused, which was md by Sir John Huddlestone, curate of Kirk Andreas, under the Rev. Jonathan Fletcher, archdeacon of this isle, and chaplain to the Earl of Derby; which is transcribed and writ in this new registry, as far as the names could be read and understood (beginning in 1666, after the restoration of the royal family, six years) by me, Charles Wattleworth."
In Andreas churchyard are interred 6 persons between 72 and 75; and 4 between 89 and 88. Here is a handsome tomb to the memory of the Rev. William Mylrea, archdeacon of this isle, and rector of this parish 27 years. He died Sept. 14, 1787, aged 65. Also Mrs. Elinor Mylrea, alias Gell, his wife,who died Feb. 6, 1795, aged 66. Another to Esther Lace, daughter of D. Lace, Esq., deemster. " Floruit amabilis et amata,et deflects, evanuit. June 22, 1778, aged 21. Gull. Cubbon, posuit."
1640. Rev. Samuel Rutter, chaplain to the Earl of Derby whilst in the Isle of Man; and at the Restoration was consecrated Bishop of this Isle, who died 1662, and was buried in the cathedral of Peele Castle, with his epitaph on a brass plate.*[* See p. 10, .and Kirk German.]
Rev. Jonathan Fletcher from 1660 to 1669, chaplain to the Earl of Derby, died at Knowlesly. He built the old brick house in Kirk Andreas, 1663.
Rev. Dr. William Urquart, from 1669 to 1690, also the Earl's chaplain, and vicar of a parish in Kent; who laid violent hands on himself by cutting his throat.
Rev. John Lomax, from 1691 to 1695, having the curacy of Buzzy in Lancashire: he built the new house adjoining to the old one in Kirk Andreas.
Rev. Archippus Kippax, from 1695 to 1699, then rector of Kirk Bride, being vicar also of Ormskirk; who resigned the archdeaconry and rectorship in 1699.
Rev. Christ. Marsden, from 1699 to 1701; he perished on the sandy banks near Liverpool, Oct. 4, 1701, in a violent storm.
Rev. Samuel Wattleworth, from 1703 to 1718; who died the 20th of December, and was buried in the cathedral in Peele Castle, the 23rd. He was first vicar of Kirk Michael, from1672 to 1676; thence removed to Kirk Patrick and German, till 1704. He died aged 72 was registrar from 1684 to 1694,and vicar-general from that time to 1703, when he was sworn archdeacon, and inducted the third of June.
Rev. Robert Horrobin, curate of Warrington, inducted Oct.13, 1719. He resigned the archdeaconry by an instrument under his own hand, to Thomas Lord Bishop of this Isle, about the16th of May, 1727, and removed to a living in Dorsetshire, near the Island of Portland, viz. to Winfrith, and died 1729.See further particulars of him in the Rev. C. Cruttwell's Life of Bishop Wilson.
Rev. John Kippax succeeded, who was chaplain to James, Earl of Derby.
1760. Rev. William Mylrea, who died in 1787.
1787. Right Hon. and Rev. Lord George Murray. The duty done by the Rev. Daniel Mylrea, son of the above William Mylrea.
Kirk Andreas has 58 quarterlands,* most other parishes run from 30 to 45; Jurby indeed has but 18 3/4. A quarterland is a well-known division of land in the island of indeterminate value and extent, worth from 10l. to 125l. per annum. The number of what are termed intacks is estimated, including 79 mill rents, at 2,700. A quarterland pays 2s. and intacks 6d. in lieu of carriage services, which were ancient services required by the lord for building or repairing forts, houses, &c. But they have fallen into disuse since 1773, when people began to refuse payment; and since the death of Governor Wood, about 1777, it does not appear to have been demanded. *[* See Letter IV. page 4l, on this head.]
There is an ancient monument in the churchyard, with this
description; deciphered and translated by Mr. Beaulord.
" Sona Ulf sui Svaudti raisti crus dono Aftirarin finine Cunnasine.
" The son of Ulf of the Swedti (or Swedes) erected this cross to the warrior Afterarin the son of Cunnu."
Many barrows are seen round this parish. Mr. Chaloner, who opened one, found fourteen rotten urns or earthen pots, with their mouths downward, with one neater than the others, in a bed of white sand, containing a few brittle bones, (as having passed the fire) but no ashes left discernible. Some of these are environed with great stones placed end-ways in the earth; and some of the urns are found inclosed in stone coffins, one coffin containing many of them.