[The initial report was circulated in small numbers but later was reprinted (1907) so as to allow it and subsequent reports to be seen as a sequence the Armitige Rigby sketches mentioned do not appear to be included with the reprint which is given here]
TO HIS EXCELLENCY THE RIGHT HON. THE LORD RAGLAN, LIEUT.-GOVERNOR, &c., &c.
REPORT OF THE MANX MUSEUM AND ANCIENT MONUMENTS TRUSTEES, VIZ :
A. W. MOORE, Esq., C.V.O., Speaker of the House of Keys,
he Right Rev. the LORD BISHOP;
G. A. RING, Esq., Attorney General;
the Rev. Canon SAVAGE;
the Rev. Canon KEWLEY ; and
Messrs. J. C. CRELLIN, M. H. K., and P. M. C. KERMODE, Hon. Sec.
This being the first of a proposed series of Annual Reports by the Trustees, it may be of interest to give a brief account of the Trust since the passing of the Act, in 1886.
By section 3, the body of Trustees consists " of the " Lord Bishop of the Diocese, the Attorney-General for the time being, the Speaker of the House of Keys for " the time being, and of four other persons to be from " time to time appointed, for periods of five years, by " the Governor, by warrant under his hand." The first members of the Trust were as follows: Ex officio: Bishop Hill, Sir James Gell, and J. S. Goldie-Taubman, Esq.; and, appointed by Governor Walpole, Messrs. A. W. Moore and W. Kneale, Capt. Kitto, and the Rev. Ernest B. Savage.
The first Meeting was held in Douglas, on the 12th August, 1886, when the Lord Bishop was elected chairman, the Rev. E. B. Savage hon. secretary, and Sir James Gell hon. treasurer.
At the following meeting, 16th November, 1886, a valuable report was presented by Messrs. Kneale, Moore, and Savage on the ancient monuments which stood in need of protection under the Act. The report dealt, in the first place, with the monumental "crosses" through-out the Island, as being movable and liable not only to wanton and thoughtless destruction by man, but also to injury by exposure to weather : it suggested that they should remain in the parishes to which they belonged, and be placed under cover in such position as to facilitate close examination.
Certain other ancient monuments were recommended for protection, and arrangements were made to invite the respective owners to place them under the guardianship of the Trustees.
A committee was appointed to confer with the Douglas Town Commissioners on the question of a Museum ; and at subsequent meetings of the Trustees, reports on this conference and correspondence on the subject were discussed.
On the death of Bishop Hill, in 1887, his successor, Bishop Bardsley, was duly elected chairman.
In June, 1890, a memorandum was prepared by Sir James Gell urging the protection of our ancient monuments, and pointing out the advantage of placing them under the guardianship of the Trustees. This was printed, and copies were widely circulated.
In July, 1891, a notice of penalties for injury to ancient monuments, prepared by Sir James Gell, was ordered to be printed and distributed ; and copies of 4 posters prepared by the Rev. E. B. Savage, hon. secretary, giving illustrations, from blocks kindly lent by Dr. Evans, of stone and bronze implements, and sepulchral pottery, were arranged to be exhibited in schools, at railway stations, and other public places.
A generous offer by Mr. R. S. Stephen, of a shelter for the Braddan crosses was accepted, and Mr. Nicholson's design approved. After several interviews with the vicar and wardens, and negotiations for gathering together and arranging the monuments, this offer was unfortunately withdrawn in July, 1894, because " the vicar and wardens of Braddan had done nothing about removing the crosses to the place selected by the Trustees."
On the 15th August, 1891, Deemster Gill was appointed a Trustee, Captain Kitto having left the Island for South Africa; and the Rev. E. B. Savage and Messrs. Moore and Kneale were re-appointed for a period of five years.
On the 26th October, 1894, Bishop Straton (who in 1892 succeeded Bishop Bardsley) was elected chairman. At this meeting the subject of the treasure-trove then recently found in Douglas was discussed, and the following resolution unanimously passed: "The Trustees strongly deprecate the removal of the recent treasure-trove in Douglas from the Island, and gladly accept His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor's offer of a room at Castle Rushen for its temporary custody."*
* Most of this find was returned to the Island, cleaned, named, and valued, and is now in the Museum ; but some objects of special rarity and value were retained, and should be sent back to the Island.
By request of the Governor, Lord Henniker, the Trustees inspected Castle Rushen in November, and suggested certain alterations, all of which have since been carried out.
From time to time the question of an Insular museum had been discussed by the Trustees, and much correspondence passed on the subject, particularly with the Douglas Town Commissioners, from whom a deputation was received on the 9th October, 1895, when plans were submitted in connection with the new Municipal Buildings. A conference with the Governor was now arranged for.
The Trustees recommended a grant of £60 from the Insular revenue towards the cost of the set of casts of the Manx crosses made by Mr. T. H. Royston for Mr. P. M. C. Kermode, which he proposed to present to the Museum. This was voted by the Tynwald Court in April, 1905.
In October, 1896, the Trustees recommended the purchase, for £40, of certain Manx articles in the museum of the late Mr. Wallace, of Distington. This sum was subsequently granted by the Tynwald Court, and the articles were duly received and are now in the Museum.
The Trustees were re-appointed for a term of five years, Mr. P. M. C. Kermode being nominated in place. of Mr. Moore, resigned.
On the invitation of His Excellency Lord Henniker, representatives from the Town Council of Douglas and the Town Commissioners of Castletown, Peel, and Ramsey met, together with the Trustees, on the 11th December, 1896, to consider the question of an Insular museum. After a lengthy discussion, which was fully reported in the local papers, it was unanimously resolved : " That, in the opinion of this meeting, it is desirable that a national museum be erected in the Isle of Man"; and the Trustees were appointed a. committee "to prepare a scheme for the establishment of such a museum, and for providing the ways and means."
Accordingly, on 16th December, 1896, the Trustees adopted the following memorandum:
i. That the collection to be formed in a Manx museum should consist of local objects to illustrate fully the archaeology and natural history of the Island.
ii. That buildings requisite for the purpose should have a minimum superficial area (including galleries) of 5,000 square feet, and that provision should, if possible, be made for future enlargement, if necessary.
iii. That the cost of the building and fittings should be not less than £5,000.
iv. That such an institution, being purely national, not municipal, should be provided partly by public subscription, partly by a grant from the revenue, and partly by the rates of the town in which the museum is established. "
v. That the cost of maintenance would be about £250 a year, which, also, should come, not from the rates, but from the revenue.
vi. That the museum should be in Douglas.
vii. That, a Manx museum being established, an arrangement should be come to with the Crown authorities that all treasure-trove found in the Island should be allowed to remain permanently in such museum."
Various possible sites for a museum were inspected, and inquiries made concerning them, and the Committee recommended that, in view of the urgent necessity for such an institution if a museum could not speedily be established Castle Rushen or the old Rolls Office, Castletown, should be utilized temporarily for the purpose.
On the 8th November, 1897, the Trustees Report was handed in to the Governor at a second meeting of the representatives of the various towns with the Trustees, and, after some discussion, the matter was held over for consideration at a public meeting to be held on the 24th. At this meeting, the question of ways and means was again discussed, and the Governor was requested to announce what he was prepared to propose as a grant from the revenue. His Excellency agreed to state his views on the subject to the Tynwald Court.
Nothing further has been done with regard to a building. In 1900, Lord Henniker placed some rooms at Castle Rushen at the disposal of the Trustees for the purpose of a temporary museum. The first object to be set up was the very perfect specimen of fossil "elk " found by the Isle of Man Natural History and Antiquarian Society near Poortown, in September, 1897, towards the cost of exhuming and mounting which the Tynwald Court had made a grant of £50.
In 1897, Mr. G. A. Ring became an ex officio Trustee upon his appointment as Attorney-General ; and, in 1898, Mr. A. W. Moore, upon his election as Speaker of the House of Keys, became an ex officio member in place of the late Sir John S. Goldie-Taubman. Sir James Gell, having ceased to be an ex officio member, was nominated a Trustee by the Governor on the death of Deemster Gill.
In October, 1900, a meeting was held in Castle Rushen, when a resolution was passed deeply regretting the death of His Honour Deemster Gill, who had taken such an active interest in the question of a national museum and generally in the objects of the Trust. It was reported that the articles formerly in the Government Office had been sent to the Castle, where they were to have been unpacked and arranged in cases by Deemster Gill. From various causes it was not found possible to have this done till the spring of 1905.
Draft regulations for the transaction and management of business, in terms of section 3, sub-section 10, of the Act, were considered, and Sir James Gell suggested that the first of the annual reports proposed by these rules should contain " a fairly full account of all that had been done by the Trustees to date."
The following Ancient Monuments have, from time to time, by deeds from the respective owners, been placed under the guardianship of the Trustees :
I. Earth-work on Cronk Sumark, Lezayre ; J. S. Robertson, Esq.; 31st October, 1890.
II. Fort, at Kerroo-garroo, Andreas ; W. W. Christian, Esq.; 19th July, 1890.
III. St. Patrick's Chair, Marown ; Miss S. C. Clucas ; 6th February, 1891.
"Crosses " from the following parishes :
IV. Rector and Wardens, Bride; 16th June, 1890.
V. Vicar and Wardens, Michael; 19th July, 1890.
VI. Rector and Wardens, Ballaugh ; 24th February, 1891.
VII. Vicar and Wardens, Braddan; 25th May, 1891.
VIII. The Lieut.-Governor ; St. John's, German ; 27th January, 1892.
XI. Vicar and Wardens, Lonan; 6th August, 1890.
X. Rector and Wardens, Andreas ; 3rd September, 1894.
These deeds are entered on the Minutes, and filed in the Diocesan Registry. The Trustees, however, consider that they should be duly recorded in the Registry for Deeds, and are preparing to have this done. But, as several more crosses have since been brought to light, they think that in these cases it would be better to get fresh deeds executed.
The nucleus of a collection for the museum had, since the days of Governor.Loch, been stored in the Government Office (Douglas), at Castle Rushen, and at Peel. Other Articles were, from time to time, received by the Trustees, and the Rev. Canon Savage has generously presented to them the large and valuable collection made by himself, at considerable trouble and expense. With the exception of the articles at Peel Castle, they are now all gathered at Castle Rushen, and have been duly catalogued.
Lord Henniker died in June, 1902, and the Trustees desire to express their appreciation of his efforts in regard to a national museum for the Island. Though he did not live to see the founding of such an institution, the interest displayed by him helped to arouse public opinion in its favour ; and he prepared the way for the preservation and exhibition of our collection of local antiquities by arranging for the use of rooms in Castle Rushen and the furnishing of cases.
The foregoing account gives a brief history of the Trust to the year 1905.
We feel that this Report would be incomplete without a reference to the remõval of some of the comparatively modern additions to Castle Rushen. This work, which is being judiciously carried out by Mr. Knowles, F.S.A., and Mr. Rigby, F. R. I. B.A., under the personal direction of your Excellency, who takes the keenest interest in it, has resulted in the restoration of our famous Castle, if not entirely to its primitive condition as a medieval fortress, to, at least, something nearly resembling it. From a strictly antiquarian point of view, the removal of the Court House and the old Rolls Office would be desirable, but we fear, as regards the former at least, impracticable.
In April, your Excellency re-appointed the Rev. Canon Savage and Mr. P. M. C. Kermode, with the addition of the Rev. Canon Kewley and Mr. J. C. Crellin, as members of the Trust for a further period of five years. Mr. P. M. C. Kermode was invited to arrange the collections at Castle Rushen, including the set of casts towards the cost of which the Tynwald Court had made a grant of £60. These now represent all the early sculptured and inscribed monuments yet found in the Island a hundred and twelve in all besides a few of the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries, forming a unique and very valuable collection. The other antiquarian objects received were arranged in the best and most methodical manner possible, considering the limited space available, and duly labelled with temporary descriptive cards. A catalogue, also, was prepared, and is sold at the Castle gates for a penny. The Trustees think, that with a view of encouraging donations of suitable objects, these catalogues should be distributed gratuitously, so that the establishment of the museum and the nature of its contents may be more generally known.
At the first Meeting in April, Mr. P. M. C. Kermode was elected hon. secretary, in place of the Rev. Canon Savage, who had resigned that office after many years of valuable service on behalf of the Trust.
A resolution was passed recording the great sorrow and regret of the Trustees in the death of Sir James Gell, late Clerk of the Rolls, and their sense of the irreparable loss to the Island "from his knowledge of Manx affairs, unrivalled in its thoroughness and width of view." The alterations to the Castle which your Excellency had then commenced were inspected, also the arrangements being made for the museum collections.
At the meeting in May, the Lord Bishop having resigned the chair, Mr. A. W. Moore, Speaker, was unanimously elected to that office. It was suggested that an effort should be made to have "Mount Strange," on the estate of Hango Hill, protected by a sea wall, as proposed by a committee of the Tynwald Court, in 1891. The Chairman was requested to see your Excellency on the subject, and to call your attention to the report. This was subsequently done, and the Trustees learn that your Excellency is carefully considering the question, and that it is proposed to have an estimate made of the cost of protecting the mount.
It was resolved to send out a notice to the clergy, captains of parishes, and the local newspapers inviting information as to objects suitable for the museum, as well as to ancient monuments in need of protection. This was subsequently done, but the result, so far, is not very helpful.
At a meeting in November, the question of the better protection of the early sculptured and inscribed stone monuments throughout the Island was discussed.
Sketches and plans, by Mr. A. Rigby, of a proposed shelter for Michael was considered, and he was invited to prepare a report on the subject, and to submit estimates for the consideration of the Trustees. A special meeting was held on 15th December to consider Mr. Rigby's report, which, after full consideration, was "generally approved." It was resolved to invite the clergy to ascertain the feelings of their parishioners in the matter, and, upon obtaining their assent, to apply to the Tynwald Court for a grant in aid, the balance to be raised by voluntary effort.
The ancient monuments under their guardianship have all been visited by one or more of the Trustees and found in a good state of preservation. Iron notices have been placed in or by them, warning against injury.*
* The notices are worded as follows: " The Manx Museum and Ancient Monuments Act, 1886. Persons injuring this monument will be prosecuted. By order of the Trustees."
No addition to the list has been made during the past year ; but the Trustees strongly urge the inclusion of Mount Strange and the Mull Circle, which stand in need of protection.
The crosses and early monumental stones throughout the Island have been provided for in the scheme above referred to, to which the consent of the respective vicars and wardens has been obtained, except in the case of Michael, for which a more extensive work than that contemplated by the Trustees has been proposed.
The Trustees desire to express their obligations to your Excellency for the use of rooms in Castle Rushen as a temporary museum. The chamber at the top of the north tower is well lighted, and makes a suitable room for the large collection of casts which are there arranged. In the window recesses many querns and heavy stone objects are temporarily placed. The banqueting hall has the fine and very perfect example of the "Irish elk" from Poortown in the middle of the floor; a cast of the beautiful Maughold standing cross near the fireplace ; while cases round the room contain flint and polished stone and bronze implements, sepulchral pottery, obsolete implements, appliances, and other objects of historic interest. In the room below, it is proposed to place a Manx hand-loom and articles connected with spinning and weaving. In a small lock-up room on the ramparts are cases with coins," and small articles of special value. The Trustees have also been allowed the use of one or two store rooms for such things as Mr. Fargher's box of elk bones, which cannot well be exhibited, and for receiving and unpacking articles preparatory to their arrangement in cases.
* It is hoped, in time, to have, in a separate case a complete collection of the peculiar and very interesting Manx coinage.
During the year, eighty-two additions to the museum have been acquired by gift or purchase, besides a number of valuable antiquarian objects, on loan, from the Isle of Man Natural History and Antiquarian Society, as duly acknowledged in the Museum Catalogue, 1905. But the Trustees desire to point out that, even for the purposes of a local archaeological collection, if approaching completeness, it is already evident that the space is insufficient for its methodical exhibition to the best advantage; that, though very willing to receive and store geological and other local natural history objects, they are at present unable to exhibit them ; and that, for the storage of books, prints, and papers, they are indebted to Mr. McLaughlin, the custodian of Castle Rushen, for kindly keeping them in his house.
Finally, the Trustees would urge very strongly that the time has now come when a definite arrangement should be made with the proper authorities whereby all suitable articles discovered in the Island, whether claimable as " treasure-trove " or otherwise, may be permanently preserved in our Insular museum. The return of part of the Douglas treasure-trove referred to above, and the recent presentation, after consultation with the Home Secretary, of the four polished stone axe-heads found on Government property at Knockaloe, show that the authorities are willing to recognise our museum; but, instead of being sought as a special favour in each case, it would be more satisfactory if the right of the Island to such things were definitely recognised.
A. W. MOORE, Chairman.
P. M. C. KERMODE, Hon. Sec.
6th March, 1906.
Ten Stones, of which nine are carved on both faces, and five on the edges also.
For this parish, Mr. Rigby submitted a plan with sketch of a special shelter to be erected within the churchyard opposite the gates, near the east end of the church.
All the cross-slabs could be accommodated in such a building under a roof about 16 feet square. One of them (100)* is broken across, and should be mended with clamps of bell metal, or some material which would not cause injury to the stone by rust. Another (64), now in the Museum, is broken down its length, and the iron bands by which it is held together should be replaced by lighter bands of similar material.
The stones should be set up in sockets. Two (90, which is now in the Museum, and ioi) should be raised about 3 feet on benches or pillars of rubble or brick, in order to be more easily examined. Five of them, (89, 90, 100, 101, and 104) being broken at the bottom, should be supported by stays, so as not to conceal any of the carving.
The large Joalf slab on the steps outside the gate (105) might be protected where it stands by a roof 6 feet by 5½. (See sketch.)
The Vicar and Wardens, however, have not agreed to this plan, but have suggested a larger scheme, designed, not only to protect the crosses but to improve the entrance to the churchyard by a lych-gate. While the Trustees agree that such a design would be a great improvement to the village, they feel that they would not be justified in undertaking it as part of this scheme, but they would be willing to assign towards it the amount which they had already proposed to expend for the preservation of the crosses, if the balance required could be raised by voluntary effort.
One Stone carved on both faces.
This is in the old churchyard, where it was placed by Mr. P. M. C. Kermode, in 1890. It has been set up by the present Rector in a socket on the floor, in such a position that both faces can be readily seen.
Eight Stones, of which five are carved on both faces, and two also on one edge.
Two of these (14, 78) are at the old Keeil in the Nappin, where they were found ; 14 is built into the wall and perfectly protected ; 78 is in two pieces, resting against the west gable. As they are broken in a clean fracture, these could be bound together with clamps and set in a socket in the most sheltered position, and so that both faces and edge could be examined. Probably the owners would do this if asked by the Trustees.
The large Sigurd piece (93) has for many years been degraded to the use of a gate-post in a field adjoining the churchyard, from which position it should be rescued at once and placed with the others, gathered together under a pent-roof to be erected between the tower and the steps-about 9 feet 6 inches by 6 feet. (See sketch) This should be set in a socket, two others (98, 99) should be raised from 12 to 18 inches, and (99) would also require stays to support it, as it is broken, and the carving and inscription extend to the bottom of what remains. The other fragments (79, 80) might be set on a raised bench about 18 inches to 24 inches high.
Seven Stones, carved on both faces, four being carved also on the edges.
The Trustees suggest a pent-roof (see sketch) against the north wall of the church, where there is an unoccupied grass border. Such a roof should be about 10 feet long by 6 broad.
The two large slabs (73 and 103) might be placed at each end, and between them a raised bench of rubble or brick, about a feet high, 4 feet long, and z feet 6 inches wide, might contain the five smaller pieces, in such position that each could be clearly and easily seen.
The two large slabs should be set in sockets, say of sand-stone, about a foot high by z feet square; and two of the smaller pieces might have a single socket stone between them.
The other three pieces are broken, and, in order that none of the carving or inscription should be hidden, would require support in the nature of stays or standards at the side.
Four Stones, of which two are carved on both faces, and one also on one edge.
The small red sandstone piece with figures of Adam and Eve (116), now over the entrance within the porch where it is in the dark and suffering from damp, might be set in the wall inside the church near the font.
The others might be set about a feet apart, with edge to wall, under a pent-roof about 9 feet by 4, attached to the east side of the tower; Mr. Rigby's sketch and plan of which is approved by the Trustees.
The two sculptured slabs (92, 97) would need to be set on flat stones, and the smaller one raised for convenience of examination about a feet above the ground, and supported by stays in order to exhibit all of their decorative treatment and inscription. The broken cruciform stone might be set in a socket or pillar about a foot high. Search is being made for the missing head which, if found, could easily be set in position and secured by bell-metal clamps.
Only one cross-fragment has yet been brought to light in this parish. The Vicar and Wardens have agreed to have it placed within the church porch, on a bracket or raised pillar, in such a position that both faces may readily be seen. It should be supported by stays, so as not hide any of the carving.
The exceptionally large number of 37 Stones has been found in this parish, of which nine are carved on both faces, and three also on one or both edges.
Nine of these, discovered or obtained by Mr. P. M. C. Kermode, have been handed over by him to the Vicar, and are now in the churchyard or the church-room, four of the very small pieces being placed for safety in the Museum at Castle Rushen. One (58) is in Malew Churchyard, having been removed about fifty years ago by Cumming for the purpose of having it cast.
Of the rest, the larger pieces are standing at the. S. W. corner of the churchyard, near Baldromma gable, while some of the smaller ones have been placed in the church-room near the vicarage.
For these stones the Trustees have adopted Mr. Rigby's suggestion of a large shed or shelter in the S. W. corner of the churchyard (see sketch and plans). A roof, 36 by 16 feet, would be necessary, and the boundary wall should be built up to shelter from the south wind. The west gable might be built up or partly so, regard being had to light.
This would accommodate all the stones, which might be arranged as in the plan herewith.
Fifteen of the pieces, which are carved on one face only (10, 18, 25, 28, 31, 45, 67, 55, 54, 58, 32, 51, 17, 23, and 21), might be set against the south wall. Two of them (21, 23I would have to be raised on a projecting bench say 2 feet high by 8 inches wide, and about 3 ft. 6 in. long in order that they might be more easily seen. Seven (38, 65, 72, 66, 45, 78, and 96) might be set in sockets on the floor of the shed one (39) is already provided with a good socket and eleven (20, 26, 27, 29, 30, 33, 52, 60, 91, 114, and 115) on a single bench ; or, better, on two benches, each about 8 ft. long by 14 in. wide and 2 ft. high.
One of those on the floor (96) and six on the bench (29, 52, 60, 91, 114, 115) would require stays, as they are broken and carved to the bottom of what remains. Four of those against the wall (23, 51, 60, 21) would, for the same reason, require holdfasts. Four, which are broken in clean fracture (30, 32, 38, 65), might be mended with clamps.
The three very small fragments (70, 71, 106), which show carving on one face only, might be built into the walls, at a convenient height.
Placed as in the plan, they would be all well sheltered, and could easily be examined. In the order suggested, regard is had to their dimensions and general appearance, not to their probable sequence in date or development in design.
Five Stones, all carved on one face only. If the west end of the old Parish Church were roofed over, accommodation would be found for all these stones. The Trustees, however, do not see their way to recommend such a work in connection with this scheme.
As now set against the temporary west gable they are well protected except from rain. Two of them (40, 41) might be raised and supported by holdfasts at a convenient height, while two others (42, 49) require mending. In the case of (49), this might be done by having two plain pieces of stone cut to the original outline so as to fill up the gaps left by the missing pieces which are believed to have been built into the reservoir at Glenroy.
The Trustees propose to leave the large wheelcross (57) in its present position, as it is fairly well protected from weather, and forms a handsome and venerable monument giving tone and dignity to the little churchyard.
Six Stones, two having both faces carved. Room might be found for these in the church porch, those which are carved on one face only being set against the wall, one (61) being raised to a convenient height for examination. The inscribed stone (113) would have to be so placed that both faces could be inspected.
The large rectangular slab by the tower (59) might remain as it is, being sheltered from the weather.
Nine Stones, of which, however, one is lost. Five have both faces carved, and two have the edges also carved.
These might be placed within the old church where there is room for them to be so arranged that all could easily be examined; and, in that case, the very interesting inscribed piece (110) from Mr. Wallace's museum, now at Castle Rushen, could be returned to the parish.
Three Stones, all carved on one face only. One of these (35) is at present in the hands of Mr. Gelling, of Conchan, but the Trustees hope that he will allow it to be placed with the others in the Parish Church.
The Port Soderick stone (68) which, on the death of Mr. Carran, of Douglas, came into the possession of Mr. P. M. C. Kermode, was sent by him to the vicar, by whom it has been placed in the church ; and the inscribed stone in the Museum (34), might now be sent there also.
Three Stones, one carved on both faces. The fine Sigurd piece (94), has been placed by the vicar within the church; and the two early pieces (7, 12) now at Castle Rushen, might be handed over if suitable positions are found for them.
Two Ogam Stones.
These two stones bear inscriptions in Ogam characters, and on account of their great rarity and special value, should be preserved in the Insular Museum where they now are.
In the Dublin Museum some Ogam stones may be seen in cases underglass, and ours in the Isle of Man should at least find a place in the special lock-up room in our Museum.
Five Stones, one carved on both faces. Two of these stones bearing Ogam inscriptions (1, 2), are in Mr. Kelly's garden, Ballaquinnea ; one exposed to the weather, the other in a damp greenhouse, and both liable to injury. As these, with the two from Arbory, are the only 20 monuments of this particular class found in the Island, and are of special value from their history and associations, they should certainly be secured for preservation in the Insular Museum, and the Trustees hope that Mr. Kelly may be persuaded to send them there.
The unique Calf-of-Man crucifix (50) is in the possession of Miss Quayle, Bridge House, and the Trustees hope would be handed over upon their undertaking its due preservation, which they are now in a position to do. It should be placed with other articles of special value in the lock-up room in the Museum.
The Bradda stone (47) on the farm of Mr. Moore, lies against a hedge on the side of a hill near Fleshwick. It has recently been tampered with by some one cutting a small additional cross-mark on its face ; and if it had not been previously cast and photographed, this would have proved misleading, altering the character of the stone. It ought to be secured at once and placed in the churchyard.
The "Clagh-Ard" (76) now at Cross-Four-Roads, is almost destroyed by weather, and should be removed to the churchyard and placed in a sheltered position. Probably the Vicar and Wardens would arrange for both of these stones if urged by the Trustees to do so.
The only cross-slab yet brought to light in this parish is against the gable of a barn at Ballelby, having been brought from an ancient Keeil near by. It is fairly well protected and might be left for the present.
But there is always a danger of loss or damage to a monument in private hands, and it should eventually be secured or placed under the guardianship of the Trustees.
Seven Stones, one carved on one face and both edges, and one upon one edge, and probably, both faces ; the rest on one face only.
One of these (81) is in the porch at St. John's near by which it was found; being well placed, protected, and accessible, it should remain there.
The others are in the Cathedral, or in the grounds of Peel Castle, and should be gathered together and placed in the guard-house or temporary museum.
The Trustees hope that this may be done by his Excellency the Governor out of the Castle funds.
Two of these (5, 6), each bearing on one face an incised linear cross, are in the monument know as St. Patrick's Chair. The carving is on the sheltered face, and for the present at all events, they can be left as they are.
The other small broken piece (111) from the Rhyne, bears only the remains of a Runic inscription, and is safer and more accessible in the Insular Museum, where it now is.
The Trustees propose to have the stones which most require it, washed with a special preservative against weather, such as Fluate, which has been successfully applied at Westminster Abbey and elsewhere, with a view to which inquiries and experiments are being made.
(Signed) A. W. MOORE, Chairman. March 5th, 1906.
* The numbers in this reprint refer to those in Mr. Kermode's "Manx Crosses," since published.
see subject entry Archaeology