[from Proc IoMNH&ASoc vol2 #2 1923]


Leader, Mr P. M. C. KERMODE.

Forty members and 17 visitors attended.

The Leader spoke on the history of the Church, and referred in detail to the architectural traces of different periods found in the walls. The small capital of a pilaster, figuring a human head, was romanesque of the 11th Century, and. must have been part of the building at the time of Bishop Roolwer, who was here buried about 1050. The miracle-working pastoral staff was still preserved, when the 'Manx Chronicle ' was being written at Rushen Abbey; it then saved the Church from the raid of Gilcolum, under Somerled, 1158. The large, plain font might be 12th Century, and other traces were met with of 13th and 14th Century. The Leader thought that the standing Cross at the gates had been there set up in commemoration of a rebuilding by Furness Abbey, to which Maughold was at that time appropriated. The old east window was of the same period. The north doorway was 15th Century. A drawing of the 17th Century shows that the porch at that time was not in its present position. There had. been a separate enclosure to this Church, parts of which could be seen in the middle of last century, while, in the large churchyard were foundations of four others each in its own enclosure. The monuments in the Cross-house were described.

Back index next  

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received MNB Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2008