The Illustrated London News was first issued on 14 May 1842;
founded by Herbert Ingram it remained in the family until the 1960's
when it became part of the Thompson organisation. As indicated by its
title it made extensive use of illustrations
Illustrations in early issues are printed from wooden blocks - the
larger engravings, some of which occupied a double page spread, were
built from smaller blocks clamped together. A group of engravers
would cut these blocks, once clamped they would be completed to hide
the joins (the largest IoM-related views were single sheet size
though most were smaller). Later in the century it became possible to
print directly from photographic blocks. Ingram installed the latest
technology of the age but the large rotary presses could not easily
handle illustrations thus a two stage process was employed in which
the rotary press printed a text-only side of a page and then a slower
flat bed press was used for those sides with illustrations.
English competitors included Penny Illustrated Paper (from 1861),
the Graphic (from 1869) and the Pictorial World (from 1874). Initial
print runs were of 26,000 but increased to 60,000 by the end of 1842;
the Great Exhibition of 1851 boosted circulation to 130,000 copies
per week and following the abolition of advertisement duty and other
taxes on newspapers it achieved a circulation of 200,000 by the late
The following list of articles relates to the Isle of Man
[based on that in Cubbon but with
some additions and corrections]. (In some cases I have only the
blocks as the text being on a different page was possibly on the
obverse of another block - dealers tend to sell the blocks as the
text is not considered important)-
- 1844 (27 Jan) Destruction of King
William's College by fire.
- 1847 (6 Mar) The Herring
- 1849 The Tynwald Court.
- 1853 (8 Jan) Terrific explosion at
the Calf of Man.
- 1854 (14 Oct) Gigantic Water
- 1855 (8 Dec) Ancient Runic Stone
from Kirk Braddan
- 1856 (2 Aug) Interesting Ceremony in
the Isle of Man.
- 1857 (18 July) -The Tynwald Court :
the reading of the new Acts.
- 1861 (23 Feb)- The arrival in
Douglas Harbour of His Excellency Governor Pigott. & Villa
Marina, Douglas, the seat of the Governor.
- 1863 (16 May) The Dalrymple Memorial
- 1865 (11 Feb) - Douglas Breakwater
as damaged by the late storm.
- 1865 Gigantic water Wheel at Laxey
- 1866 (18 Aug) Isle of Man Company's
New Steam Boat Tynwald
- 1867 (20 April) - Election of
members of the House of Keys.
- 1869 (22 May - supplement) Port Erin
: Prince Arthur's visit.
- 1869 (18 Sep - supplement) The
Douglas Promenade Pier
- 1871 Sketches in the Isle of Man.
- 1872 (13 July) The New Pier at
Douglas [Queen's landing pier].
- 1873 Opening of the Isle of Man Railway
- 1878 Visit of Prince Leopold. Illumination of Douglas
- 1881 (16 Apr) Fishermen's Cottages
at Port St. Mary.
- 1881 (7 May) A Manx Cottage
- 1881 (25 May) Peel and Peel Castle.
- 1881 (10 Sept.) - Sketches in the Isle of Man.
- 1881 (8 Oct.) - Sketches in the Isle of Man.
- 1881 (5 Nov) Fisherman's Cottage in
the Isle of Man.
- 1882 (11 Feb) The Duke of Edinburgh
in the Isle of Man
- 1888 (22 Sep) Noble's Hospital, Isle
- 1891 (10 Oct.) - Mr. Hall Caine's
Mission to Russia.
- 1891 The late Rev. Romsey Hill.
- 1892 The Great Laxey Water Wheel.
- 1892 (23 April) - A Manxland Ramble.
- 1892 (17 Sept) - "Mona's Isle" on
the rocks at Castletown
- 1895 (28 Dec) - St German's Cathedral (illus only)
- 1896 (25 April) The Snaefell
- 1902 (30 Aug) - The King's
- 1908 (26 Sep) A Much-condemmed Contest (motor racing in
W.B.Orme The Illustrated London News Book and Magazine
Collector #7 Sept 1984 pp25/35