Victoria College

Victoria College c. 1899
Victoria College c. 1899

Founded 1881 by Richard Farrell BA LL.D when he acquired(? leased) two houses in Victoria Road adding an annex to provide a schoolroom and a dormitory - he claimed in his advertisement later that year that he had been Vice-Principal of a large London school and intended to provide high class boarding and day education. His reputation quickly grew, helped by the retirement of Dr Steele the school prospered, though as Bird points out within a declining sector - by 1884 it was outperforming KWC in Oxbridge entrances - Farrell opening a special class designed for this end in 1885. After Farrell's retirement in 1892 the school declined and closed in early years of 20th century. The school became a private residence, a convalescence home in WW1 then forming a base for Marathon Road Methodist Chapel.

In 1894(Brown's Directory) Farrell was noted as occupying no 20 Victoria Road - in the rateing valuations no 18 and 20 were dwelling houses both valued £32 rates owned by Elizabeth Robinson(widow of John Robinson architect) - brother Henry Robinson also owned a nearby property - is it possible that the two houses (which appear to be mirror images were also designed and built by the Robinsons ?

Principals

1883-1892 Richard Farrell, B.A., LLD.
1892 Hockly Rev. F. J

References

Hinton Bird The Island that led - The History of Manx Education vol 2 1995 [ISBN 0-9516918-1-3] the history is considered pp73/4

 


School's Index

   

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 2005