[From 3rd Report 1911]
Not more than six Keeills or their sites are now remembered in this Parish, and unfortunately all of them have been destroyed.
The old Parish Church of S. Mary, near the shore on the Treen of Ballamona, O. S., IV, 6,(211), is an ancient site likely to have been occupied by an early Keeill, but no trace of such has been found. The handsomely-carved cross-slab, now in, the Church, is Scandinavian of the eleventh century.
1. Site of Keeill on the Quarterland of Broogh jiarg mooar, Treen of Broogh
2. Site of Keeill, Ballamoar, Treen of Carmodal.
3. Site of Keeill on Cronk Skeylt, Quarterland of Ballacurn kiel, Treen of Ballacurn.
4.. Site of Keeill Moirrey, Carmodal-beg, Treen of Carmodal.
5. Cabbal Rhullickey, on the Bishop's Demesne, Freehold.
This has long disappeared, but is marked on the O.S., IV, 9, (701), as " Site of Chapel," and is still so remembered. It stood at a height above sea-level of about 100 ft.
Faaie ny Cabbal, or the Chapel Close, South of the highroad, and behind Ballaugh village, is still remembered as the site of a Chapel and Burial-ground, and is so marked on the O.S., IV, 14, (1333). It stands 47 yds. East of the stream and 120 yds. South of the Bridge on the highroad, at a height above the sea of about 120 ft.
Cronk Skeylt, or Cloven Hill, on the North of the highroad just beyond the village, is not marked on the O.S., and must have finally disappeared just before the Survey was made, as men remembered both Cronk and Keeill in the early sixties. It would be on O.S., IV, 14, (1348), at the boundary of Bishopscourt with Ballacurn Keeill, about 11o ft. above sea-level. Mr. Crellin thinks that the highroad was probably cut through a part of it. This may have given the name to the farm, if, as Mr. Moore supposed, (Place-Names, p. 172) the second part of the word refers to a Keeill, and is not merely the Manx adjective signifying "narrow, small" sometimes applied when a Quarterland has been divided. The older form however with the use of the article-Ballackrn y keil, seems to show that it did refer here to the Keeill.
Carmodil, O.S., IV, 14, (527), is the only one which has preserved the memory of its dedication. As the site appears not to have been ploughed over, it is possible that some trace of the foundations may still remain. It is a little to the North of S. Mary's Glen, and stands about 170 ft. above the sea.
on the Bishop's Demesne, is not marked on the O.S., and no trace of it now exists. It should be on IV, 14, (1541), and stood about 3oo yds. S. E. of the highroad in a field adjoining Ballacurn-Keeill ; perhaps too ft. above sea-level. Mr. Crellin thought there had been another Keeill on Ballacurn Y.L.M., 1, 10, p. 152 (1888), but there is no trace of such, and as it would be so close to the one on the same Quarterland, and so near to that on Ballamoar and to Cabbal Rhullickey, we think this must be a mistake.
| Any comments, errors
or omissions gratefully received The
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2006