[taken from Chapter 9 Manx Worthies, A.W.Moore, 1901]

GEORGE QUAYLE (b. 1751, d. 1835),

of the Bridge House family, was conspicuous in a variety of ways. In 1777, he entered the first regiment of Fencibles that was formed, ultimately becoming a captain. But, not satisfied with this, he raised a corps of yeomanry, which he commanded until it was disbanded at the Peace of Amiens in 1802. In the same year, he, in conjunction with his brother, Mark Hildesley Quayle, John Taubman, and James Kelly, opened the " Isle of Man Bank " in Castletown. In 1818, when the bank closed, he sold the Barony of St. Trinian's, in Marown, as well as other property, that the people should not suffer from the trust placed in his name, "Quayle's Notes " being considered as good as those of the Bank of England. He became a member of the House of Keys in 1784, his connexion with that body continuing till his death. He travelled extensively, and was the originator of several mechanical inventions, from which, however, he reaped no benefit. 


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000