[taken from Chapter 1 Manx Worthies, A.W.Moore, 1901]
was the son of Thomas and Catherine (nee Callow)1, widow of John Christian, of the " Flat," Maughold. His first teacher was the Rev. Henry Maddrell, who, between 1790 and 1803, was Chaplain at Ramsey. He then went to the Rev. Joseph Stowell's school at Peel, where he was " distinguished for his capacity and amiable disposition." He then went to St. Bee's School, where he remained till 1803, when he received an ensign's commission in the Royal Manx Fencibles. The fact of his half-brother, John Christian,* being a captain in his company, was probably an inducement to him to join. He served, during the rebellion in Ireland, at Omagh, Coleraine, and elsewhere, being both a great favourite with his brother officers, and much respected and beloved by the men. But his quiet and peaceable turn of mind, his delicate health, and the religious views with which he was strongly imbued, all combined to render a military career distasteful to him, and so he resigned his commission in 1806. He at once began reading for Holy Orders, and was ordained by Bishop Crigan in 1807. His first appointment was as Curate of Maughold. After a very short stay there, he came to St. George's as curate. In 1809, he was admitted to Priest's Orders, and, in 1810, he became Vicar of Braddan. In 1832, on the resignation of Benjamin Philpot, who had accepted the Archdeaconry and the Rectory of Andreas, he, at the urgent request of his friends, took the Chaplaincy of St. George's. He still retained the title of Vicar of Braddan, and appointed the Rev. Robert Brown as his curate there, giving him the full emoluments of the living. The Rev. Hugh Stowell having died in Octobers 1835, THOMAS HOWARD was, in April, 1836, promoted to the Rectory of Ballaugh. In 1868, he was prostrated by a severe illness, and. though he recovered in a marvellous way; and his mental powers were as clear as ever, his bodily health was so weakened as to prevent his being able, except very occasionally, to attend to the duties of his parish. He was, however, fortunate in having a most devoted curate and son-in-law in the person of the late Rev H. G. White, who was afterwards Vicar of Maughold. In a charming account of him in the Ramsey Church Magazine, the Rev. T. E. Brown uses the epithets " wise, prudent, circumspect patient, loving," and, more especially, " courteous," in describing his character; and in describing his appearance, he remarks that " he was a singularly handsome man, though, perhaps, 'beautiful' more aptly fits the type," and he continues, " Tall and shapely he had a most loveable countenance.... The whole face the gesture, were full of purity and perfect sweetness," and, he adds, "you could not look on him without loving him." He was diligent and indefatigable in the discharge of his clerical duties being of a truly catholic spirit, though, at the same times a decided evangelical. Cheerfulness was a prominent trait in his character, in which gentleness and firmness were blended to a remarkable degree." The conspicuousness of the first might lead people to underrate his true manliness. Affectionate and charitable, there was in him a rare combination of Christian qualities. He was, indeed, the "beau Ideal" of a clergyman, being quite the country depicted by Herbert and Goldsmith. He was considered a good preacher, and his sermons all breathed the spirit of genuine Christianity and fervent holiness. He published two series of these, which he entitled " Plain and Practical Sermons."3 " The Rev T. E. Brown comments on the " tranquil radiance of his Spirit,'
* son of John Christian and Catherine Callow
1 Catherine was born at Ballaglass in the same parish which belonged to her family
2 Memoirs of Joseph Stowell, p. 91.
3 The first in 1827 and the second in 1850.