[Chapter 7 Manx Worthies, A.W.Moore, 1901]


Army, Navy, and Civil Service.

We are able to record the names of a greater number of Worthies" under the first two headings than under any other. This is not, of course, because their careers as soldiers and sailors were more distinguished than those of Manxmen whose occupations lay in other fields, but simply because military and naval services are necessarily conspicuous, and therefore likely to be recorded. The number of Manxmen who served in the Army and Navy, particularly in the latter, between 1778 and 1815 is very large. This is referred to by a committee of the House of Keys, which was appointed in 1798 to take measures to prevent Manx fishermen from being " impressed." With this object, a letter was written to the Commissioners of the Admiralty, in which it is stated that "the island had done all in its power towards the general safety, and, poor as it is with a population of less than 28,000, without a port that can boast of a square-rigged vessel, has furnished above 3,000 seamen to the British service, and to the army in Fencibles and otherwise not less than 1,000."* After 1803, the numbers were still larger. According to Lord Teignmouth, who visited the island in 1829, " the Isle of Man has perhaps furnished a much larger number of able and excellent seamen to the public service, in proportion to its population, than any other individual district of the British empire."+ Before the dates mentioned the number of Manxmen in the Army and Navy was, doubtless, much smaller.

* journals of the House of Keys.
+Scotland. V01. Il., P. 207.

The first Manx officer we hear of in the Royal Navy is EDWARD CHRISTIAN (see p. 60). We may mention that Hepworth Dixon, in " Her Majesty's Tower," refers to the fact that THOMAS CHRISTIAN* (b. 1716, d. 1752), a grandson of Illiam -Dhone's son, Thomas, took out letters of marque and captured several Spanish galleons. BRABAZON CHRISTIAN,* also Illiam Dhone's grandson, William, who had settled in Ireland after selling Ronaldsway, was a captain in the Royal Navy. Captain Brabazon's nephew, JONATHAN WHITBY CHRISTIAN,

* was also a captain in the Royal Navy and, afterwards, Controller- General of the Irish Coastguard.

The first Manx officer we hear of in the British Army is RICHARD STEVENSON (d. 1683 ), of Balladoole. His rank was that of major, but of which regiment is unknown. He was deputy governor, presiding over a Tynwald Court on the 24th June, 1661, in this capacity, and receiver- general.

[fpc: suspect some confusion - The deputy governor died 1683, his son Major Richard Stevenson died 1698 (having married twice) had son John Stevenson]

His grandson, also RICHARD STEVENSON (b. 1716, d. 1785), son of John Stevenson, of Balladoole, and Isabel Senhouse, of Netherhall, Cumberland, was a cornet of the Royal Horse Carbineers, and A.D.C. to Richard Boyle, Viscount Shannon, his uncle by marriage.

His brother, JOHN, was a colonel in the guards. He was owner of Ashley Park, Walton on Thames, which he inherited from his first cousin, the Countess of Middlesex.

Of about the same date were WILLIAM QUAYLE (b. 1721, d. 1744), son of John Quayle, C.R., of Bridge House, and Elizabeth Harrison, of Wyreside, Lancashire, who was a lieutenant in a dragoon regiment; and JOHN COSNAHAN, a major, who fought at the Battle of Quebec in 1759. He afterwards married Lady Janet Scott, daughter of the Duke of Buccleuch, but died without issue.

In the Navy, at a somewhat later date, was PETER FANNIN, master of the "Adventure," one of the ships which accompanied the famous Captain Cook in his first expedition. He retired in 1775, and set up a school in Douglas where he taught navigation. In 1789, he published a map of the Isle of Man, which was highly esteemed for the correct way in which it noted the anchorages. It contained a plan of Douglas Harbour, and a view of the south side of it taken from a house in which the Duke of Atholl then resided.

+Manx by descent only.

Contemporary with Robert Cottier was


There are only two Manxmen who are recorded as being officers in the army between 1776 and 1783, viz., WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM and JOHN TAUBMAN. WILLIAM CUNNINGHAM (b. 1754, d. 1825) was colonel of the 50th Regiment. He retired in 1802, and became a member of the House of Keys.

JOHN TAUBMAN (b. 1746, d. 1822), son of John Taubman, S.H.K., and Esther, daughter of Deemster Nicholas Christian, was, in 1769, a cornet in the 3rd Regiment of Horse in the Irish Establishment, but he soon retired. He purchased the Nunnery from Deemster Peter Heywood. In 1793, he joined the Manx Fencibles, being made major. He was afterwards Speaker of the House of Keys.

During the next French War (1783-1802), the following Manxmen served as officers in the Royal Navy : THOMAS FARGHER of Shenvalla (d. 1794), the gallant surgeon of H. M. S. "Bellerophon ;" JOHN FRISSELL, son of John Frissell and Elizabeth, daughter of Captain John Llewellyn, a lieutenant, who was wounded in the battle of the 1st of June, 1794. He afterwards married a French marchioness and settled in France. His brothers, Charles and William, were also in the Navy. PAUL CREBBIN (lieutenant), and John Cowley (quarter-master), who served in the "Phoenix " frigate ; JOSEPH CURPHEY (b. 1766, d. 1826), who attained the rank of master, and served both before and after 1802, and HUGH GARRETT, master (b. 1777, d. 1833), who also served in both wars. During the later years of his life he lived on the island, and was one of the early workers in the temperance cause. The Rev. W. T. Radcliffe, who knew him well, told the writer that he was a man of high character, and that he had considerable powers as a preacher. He is described in the notice of his death as being a faithful and zealous local preacher in the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion."

There were, doubtless, several Manxmen serving "before the mast " at this time, but we have heard of the names of three only : CHARLES CORLETT, JOHN CORKILL, and WILLIAM KEWLEY. KEWLEY (b. 1772, d. 1846), fought under Lord Howe in the battle of the 1st of June, 1794, and under Sir John Jarvis at Cape St. Vincent in 1797. He was with Lord Nelson, when he lost his arm at Tenerife, and at the Battle of the Nile. He was also in the fleet which blockaded the French and Spanish fleets off Toulon and Cadiz. He served in the " Princess Royal,", and in the " Culloden,", and, when he sought his discharge from the latter ship, on peace being proclaimed in 1802, he was described as a "deserving, sober, and diligent seaman." He settled in Douglas, where he worked as a shoemaker, but, finally, being incapacitated by age and infirmity, he sought an asylum in the House of Industry. JOHN CORKILL , of Ballagorry-Moar, Maughold, was in the Royal Navy between 1792 and 1801, and CHARLES CORLETT (see p. 141.) served both during this and the following period.

Naval Chronicle, Vol. XXI, p. 188.
+ He had seen some Privateer service (see Chapter VIII.)

In the Army there were JOHN JOSEPH BACON (b. 1770, d. 1805), son of John Joseph Bacon by his first wife, Jane Johnstone, who was a captain in the Fifth Veteran Battalion at Guernsey ; EDWARD GELLING (b. 1770, d. 1828), son of Edward Gelling of Castletown, a captain in the 59th Regiment (he also served after 1803) ; JOHN QUAYLE (b. 1762). son of John Quayle, C.P., of Bridge House, and Margaret, daughter of Sir George Moore of Ballamoore, a lieutenant in the Royal Artillery. He served in Flanders under the Duke of York, and he was also in the East and West Indies, having been present at the siege of Seringapatam, and various other important engagement. ; and RICHARD TYLDESLEY (b. 1776, d. 1805), son of Richard Tyldesley, of The Friary, and Margaret Quayle, who was first in the Manx Fencibles and then a lieutenant in the 39th Regiment. He retired in 1802 and went to Guadaloupe, where he died. The careers of Captain QUILLIAM and Captain KELLY had begun at this time, but they belong, to a greater extent, to the period of 1803-15, to which we will now refer.

Let us take the Navy first.


HOOD HANWAY CHRISTIAN* (b. 1784, d. 1849),

son of Sir Hugh Cloberry Christian and Ann Leigh, was made a commander in the Navy at the very early age of sixteen for the gallant way in which he commanded a division of boats at the siege of Genoa. In 1809 he took part in the ill-fated Walcheren expedition, after which he saw no active service. In 1838 he became rear-admiral.

*Manx by descent only.


There were also EDWARD GELLING, master (b. 1785, d. 1848), ROBERT KELLY, commander, THOMAS CRAINE*, commander (b. 1776, d. 1851), RICHARD CLARKE, lieutenant, son of Captain Edward Clarke* (b. 1788, d. 1823), THOMAS FREER, lieutenant (b. 1791, d. 1851). After the war Thomas Freer went into the merchant service, and, in 1851, was in command of the P. and O. steamer "Oriental, " on board of which he died ; and EVAN CHRISTIAN, midshipman, son of Vicar-General Christian and Ann Kelly of Peel, and cousin of Lieutenant Edward Christian (see p. 143), who was first on board the " Barfleur " and then on the " Brunswick "+ when she was at the bombardment of Copenhagen in 1807.

* See Chapter VIII.

+ This vessel had been Admiral Hood's flagship in 1778, when Prince William, afterwards King William IV., was a midshipman on her.

CHARLES CREBBIN, son of the Rev. Charles Crebbin, Vicar of Santon, was a major in the Marines. He, like Philip Cosnahan, was drowned in the " Lord Hill."

A number of Manxmen also served in the Navy before the mast. Of these. the seven following are known to have fought at Trafalgar: -

CHARLES CORLET (b. 1771, d. 1862)

was present at the battle of the Nile in 1798, at Copenhagen in 1801, and at Trafalgar in 1805. He was also at the siege of Rangoon, and took part in several cutting-out expeditions. During the whole of his career, though he was several times taken prisoner and several times made his escape from prison, he only received one wound. He latterly resided with his son at Rock Ferry. He was interred at Bebington with naval honours, being accompanied to the grave by about 60 of the crew of H. M. S. " Majestic. " (See also p. 135.)

JOHN LACE, of the Kerroodhoo, Kirk Bride, was on board the "Victory," where he lost his right arm. In fact he believed that the shot which mortally wounded Nelson, first passed through his (Lace's) arm. After leaving the Navy he was a pilot off Ramsey, and lost his life in Ramsey Bay when endeavouring to board a vessel to pilot her to Douglas.

JOHN COWLE, of Kirk Bride, was quartermaster of the " Victory. "

THOMAS CURPHEY (b. 1778, d. 1854) was boatswain in the " Britannia."

WILLIAM KELLY (b. 1787, d. 1866) was in the " Royal Sovereign." He entered the Navy in 1803, and continued to serve till 1819, when he retired on a pension.

THOMAS CANNELL, of Kirk German (b. 1783, d. 1864), was in the "Conqueror."

JOHN CRELLIN (b. 1791, d. 1855), born at Port St. Mary, was apprenticed when a lad to the owners of the brig "Sally," of Whitehaven. He was impressed into the Royal Navy and served on the " Bellerophon," Captain Maitland, being on that vessel when Napoleon came on board of her and surrendered. After the war he returned to the island and followed the avocation of a fisherman.

Another " man of war's man " at this time was PHILIP TEARE, of Ballaugh, who made use of his experience by drilling the northside people who took part in the potato riots in 1825, and he marched at their head against Bishop's Court.

JAMES GALE served on the " Apollo " frigate till he was discharged on becoming blind. We know from a subscription list dated 1811 that there were 25 Manx sailors prisoners in France in that year.

In the Army at this period, and probably also in the previous war, as regards the first three names, there were : CALCOTT HEYWOOD (b. 1766, d. 1852), a son of Robert Heywood, waterbailiff, and Margaret, daughter of Richard Joiner, who was a captain in the Manx Fencibles in 1794. In 1810, he was chosen as a member of the House of Keys, but refused to serve. The House then petitioned Lieut. -Governor Smelt to "take the proper and necessary steps according to Law and Custom in that case provided"* to make him do so. Instead of yielding he joined the 9th Regiment and went to the Peninsular War. Retiring in 1815, with the rank of captain, he was again elected a member of the House of Keys, and seems to have accepted his fate without further protest.

JOHN TAUBMAN (d. 1812), son of John Taubman, Speaker of the House of Keys, and Dorothy Christian of Milntown, was in command of the 66th Regiment and then of the 101st. After he retired from the Army he was commandant of the South Manx Volunteers, and he became a member of the House of Keys.

THOMAS CORLETT, of Loughan-e-Yeigh, Lezayre, was, after the war, made barrack-master of King's Mews Barracks in London

THOMAS WATTLEWORTH (b. 1785), son of Thomas Wattleworth and Catherine Kelly, was a lieutenant in the 26th Regiment, and fought at Martinique and Guadaloupe in the West Indies. His brother, JAMES KELLY WATTLEWORTH (b. 1787, d. 1812), was an adjutant in the Dragoon Guards. He was killed by a fall from his horse at Brighton. They were sons of Thomas Wattleworth and Christian Kelly, of Peel.

- Keys' journals.


EDWARD CHRISTIAN (b. circa 1780), probably a son of Edward Christian, of Lewaigue, and Catherine Allen, of Ballayarry, and certainly a nephew of Vicar-General Christian, was a lieutenant in the 43rd Regiment, which formed part of the army intended to oppose Napoleon's threatened invasion. He fought at Copenhagen in 1807, and at Corunna, but it is not known whether he went through the Peninsular War with his regiment or not. A number of letters written by him to his uncle, which have been published by Messrs. S. K. Broadbent & Co., throw a very interesting light on the history of the time.

NICHOLAS CHRISTIAN (b. 1790, d. 1814), son of the Rev. John Christian [1762-1815 and described by Bishop Murray as 'one of the best of the clergy'], Vicar of Arbory, was a lieutenant in the 47th Regiment. He joined it in India, where it had gone after the Battle of Maida, and died there.

[An interesting bit of graffiti was found in a cave at Kanheri, India and sent to me by Mary Hunt -

Indian Graffiti - N Christian 1810
Cave graffiti


THOMAS MOORE, youngest son of Deemster Thomas Moore, of the Abbey, and Margaret Moore, of the Hills, was a captain in the 59th He fought in the Peninsular War.

GEORGE HORSLEY WOOD (b. 1794, d. 1874), served as lieutenant in the 20th Foot in the, Peninsula and in India, and was one of the body-guard of the Emperor Napoleon at St. Helena (see p. 103).


There were a number of Manxmen in the ranks at this time, but, except heir names, we know nothing of them. COLONEL MARK WILKS and SIR MARK CUBBON were also in the army at this period, but their chief claim to distinction arises from their services as civil servants (see pp. 154-159).



We have now to refer to the extraordinary story of THOMAS COSTEAN, COSTAIN, or CASTINE, of the parish of Lonan, who is said to have been identical with the famous General Custine. It can, however, be proved beyond doubt that this was not so,1 but it is possible, and indeed probable, that there was a Manx Costain who served in the French army, & did attained high rank.

Let us give the account of him in the " Biographical Anecdotes of the Founders of the French Republic,"2 quoted by Train :-

Thomas Custine, one of the most conspicuous chiefs of the French Republic, was born at Ballaneille, in the parish of Lonan.

When a youth he enlisted in a British " regiment of the line" called the" King's Own," in which he rose to the rank of sergeant. Having returned, after a few years' absence, to his native isle, on leave from his regiment, he married a young woman named Helen Colace (Quilleash), with whom he had been acquainted previous to his departure; but, indulging too freely with his former companions in the dissipation which then prevailed in the island, he outstayed his pass so long that he was about to be apprehended as a deserter, when he escaped on board a smuggling lugger to Dunkirk. He then entered into the French service, and, it is said, served some time in America.3

The account of him up to this time is all probable enough, but, after it, COSTEAN is identified with the famous revolutionary general who was beheaded in 1793. It would seem that the Manx French COSTEAN had a son, also Thomas, who, according to Train, was a servant in the Isle of Man. He afterwards enlisted in the Manx Fencibles, and, in 1837, was a merchant in the village of Auchencairn, in Galloway. It is said that he, understanding that his father died possessed of some property in France, applied to Prince Talleyrand in the hope of regaining it. But, on prince making enquiries, it was found "if General Custine really been possessed of property at the, time of his death, all trace of it was lost amid the confusion into which France was thrown subsequent to the year 1793."4 Here again it would seem that the comparatively obscure Manx-French COSTEAN had been confused by Talleyrand with the Austrian-French Custine. The probabilities of the case are, then, that there was actually a THOMAS COSTEAN, whose name would easily become Custine in France, who served in the French army, probably attaining the rank of general, and that he married Helen Quilleash, which is not an uncommon name in the parish of Lonan. There is no reason to doubt the account of THOMAS COSTEAN the younger, and it may be mentioned that there are only two Thomas Costeans recorded in the parish register in the 18th century. One of these was baptized on the 2nd of November, 1746, and his son of the same name was baptized on the 28th of September, 1777.

1 Count Adam Philippe de Custine . . . almost a German, born of a high~'family at Metz." (Lamartime, " History of the Girondists." Vol. II.,P.t 3 7 1.)
2 London, 1798. Vol. II., P. 303.
3 History of the Isle of Man. VOL. II.. P. 349.
4 Ibid, P. 35..


The following distinguished Manx sailors and soldiers are of later date.


ALEXANDER TAUBMAN-GOLDIE, R.N. (b. 1811, d. 1893),

the third son of General Goldie and Isabella Christian Taubman, entered the Navy as a first-class volunteer in 1824. His first ship was the " Brazen," of 26 guns, in which he assisted in the capture of a number of armed slavers and in the liberation of nearly a thousand slaves. In 1826, he joined the " Ganges," of 84 guns, and served in her at the time of the mutiny among the German and Irish mercenaries at Rio Janeiro, where a landing party from the British squadron was instrumental in subduing the revolt. His next vessel was the " St. Vincent " in 1829, and in the same year he joined the " Druid," of 46 guns. He was made a lieutenant in 1831, and, as such, joined, first, the " Volage, " of 28 guns, and, second, the "Andromache," of 26 guns, in the Mediterranean. In 1839, he was promoted to be commander of the sloop " Blossom," and from 1841 to 1856 he was an inspecting officer of coastguards. He retired with the rank of captain in the latter year, and from thenceforward he lived in his native island, where he was appointed a magistrate in 1851, and in that capacity did much useful service. He was generally respected and esteemed for his many excellent qualities.

THOMAS LEIGH GOLDIE (b. 1807, d. 1854),

was the second son of General Goldie and Isabella Christian Taubman, of the Nunnery, where he was born. Till 1825, when he joined the 66th Regiment, he lived in the island. After attaining the rank of major in that regiment, he acted as military and private secretary to Sir John Colborne, afterwards Lord Seaton. He saw no active service till 1839, when he went with his regiment to Canada to assist in quelling the disturbances there.

For the ability and zeal he displayed at that time he was promoted to the colonelcy of the 57th Regiment. His next service was in the Crimea, where he commanded a brigade, at the head of which he fell fighting at the Battle of Inkermann on the 5th November, 1854. He was interred at Cathcart's Hill, near Sebastopol, where there is a monument to his memory. A large monument in the Nunnery Grounds, and a tablet in Malew Church, with the same object, were erected by public subscription. On the tablet are the following words :-" After repeated charges at the head of his Brigade of the 4th Division [he] . . fell mortally wounded and a few hours after departed this life." Lord Raglan, in the despatch announcing the result of the Battle of Inkermann, speaks of him as "an officer of considerable promise," who " gave great satisfaction to all whom he has served ;" and the " Manx Sun," in an obituary notice states that " he was remarkable alike for the strict performance of his own duties to the minutest item, and for his equally strict enforcement of the duties of those under him, but that without the needless severity of the martinet," and that " this in no way diminished his personal popularity, which was very great."

ALEXANDER J. J, MACDONALD (b. 1829, d. 1889),

son of Captain Ronald Macdonald, a brother of the Chief of Glencoe, and Maria, daughter of Dr. Thomas, of Ballacosnahan, and Ann Cosnahan, was born in Douglas, and was educated, for the most part, at Forrester's school in that town. He entered the 95th Regiment in 1847, and went to Varna and the Crimea in 1854. He was present at the Battle of Alma, where he received a slight contusion, a bullet having struck his breastplate, in which it remained embedded. At Inkermann he was adjutant of his regiment, and was very severely wounded, being struck on the knee by a bullet and knocked off his horse. When lying on the ground he got no less than twenty bayonet wounds, which, marvellous to relate, did not kill him. He went home invalided, and, being retired, as colonel, upon half pay, he was appointed fort major at Edinburgh Castle. On succeeding to the estate of Ballacosnahan, after the death of Miss Anne Thomas, he gave up this appointment and went to live in London, where he remained till his death. (Information from Col. Anderson receiver-general.)

The other Manx army officers in the Crimea were


whose epitaph in St. Mary's Church, Castletown, gives the following account of him :-

In memory of John Edward Taubman Quayle, eldest son of John Quayle, Esq., of Castletown, brevet major and senior captain of the 33rd, Duke of Wellington's Regiment, who died at Stirat on the 29th of May, 1859, aged 35 years, from the effects of a sunstroke received whilst in command of a field force sent against the mutineers. he served in the W. Indies and N. America, and was at the Battle of Alma and the Siege of Sebastopol, where he was shot through the body, for which service he received the Cross of the Legion of Honour, the Crimean medal and clasps, and the Turkish Order of the Medjide;

ROBERT C. CUNNINGHAM, captain in the 42nd Highlanders, who was at the Battle of Alma. He was invalided home in August, 1855, but died in September of low fever at Malta ;

EDWARD GAWNE (b 1836, d. 1869), who was the eldest, son of the Speaker of the House of Keys. He served as lieutenant in the '9th Regiment, but, not being in good health, he was granted leave of absence after a short stay in the Crimea. He died at Pulrose, Braddan;

WILLIAM DALRYMPLE THOMPSON, captain in the 17th Regiment. He, like Major Quayle, received the Legion of Honour ; and

JOHN JOSEPH BACON, captain in the 95th Regiment.

In the Navy there were LIEUTENANT, now ADMIRAL, PARSONS, son of the then government chaplain, brother of Mrs Crellin, of Orrysdale, who was in the naval brigade; and LIEUTENANT LEWIS GENESTE - the late Captain [? Commander] Geneste - who did good service during this war in the "Herring " gunboat, which was stationed in the Baltic. LIEUTENANT PARSONS also received the Legion of Honour. He and Messrs. Quayle, Thompson, and Lewis Geneste were educated at King William's College.

There were several Manxmen who served in the ranks during this war.

There seems to have been only one Manxman serving as an officer in the Indian Mutiny, namely, MAXIMILIAN GODWIN GENESTE, brother of Lewis Geneste [ ? son of Rev Maximillian who was brother to Lewis] , who was a lieutenant in the Bengal Engineers. He took ill during the operations before Delhi, and died in the Isle of Wight in 1858.

In the ranks there were, among others, COLOUR-SERGEANT BURROWS, who served in the 53rd Regiment during the Sikh campaign, as well as in the Mutiny. He was at the relief of Lucknow. After the war, when he became drill instructor to the Cumberland volunteers, he was presented by the War Office with £10 and a medal "for long and faithful service and good conduct."

There were also ROBERT and JOSEPH CREER, sons of Thomas Creer, commonly called " Tom Juty." his wife's name being Judith.

JAMES SPEDDING QUAYLE (b. 1843, d. 1882), of Bridge House, Castletown, was a captain in the Royal Artillery, and served with distinction in the Abyssinian campaign, for which he received a medal.

It is said that about one hundred, Manxmen have been engaged in the recent war in South Africa, and we have reason to be proud of the conduct of all of them, from COLONEL GAWNE to little BUGLER DUNNE, who was presented to Queen Victoria and received a bugle from her in recognition of his gallantry at the Battle of Colenso.

Of these we know that COLONEL GAWNE and COLOUR-SERGEANT WALLACE have been killed, but we fear that others of whom we have not heard may have died also.

JOHN MOORE GAWNE (b. 1854, d, 1900),

the youngest son of Edward Moore and Emily Maria Gawne (see Ch. I. and Ch. IX.) was educated at Lieutenant Shaw's school in Douglas, at Cheltenham College, and at Sandhurst. He served in the Zulu War of 1878, and in the South African War since June last. At the end of September he was appointed district commissioner and general commander of forces at Vryheid, in the Transvaal, " on account of his tact and impartiality in dealing with the Boers." His command was attacked on several occasions by the Boers, who were invariably repulsed with heavy loss. It was during the last of these attacks, on the 11th December, that COLONEL GAWNE, who had been complimented by General Hildyard on his " able and prompt measures", was mortally wounded. He died on the following day. According to a brother officer, who knew him well, he " was a most zealous and active officer. All through his military career his Profession came first with him. He stood alone, and asked favours from none. He saw his duty in front of him, and did it truly and well. His juniors went to him for advice and help, and did not go in vain, and his seniors knew they had in him one they could trust, and whose advice would always be what was right. He was loved by officers, n.c.o.'s., and men, and he has left a blank, not only in the regiment, but in the hearts of his friends, that can never be filled."

WILLIAM WALLACE, colour-sergeant (b. 1870, d. 1900), eldest son of John Wallace, master of Ballagawne School, Lonan, was born in Ballaugh. He joined the Seaforth Highlanders in 1892. His promotion was rapid, he being made colour-sergeant in 1897. He served through the Chitrtl expedition with great credit. In South Africa he fought bravely at Belmont and Graspan, and he was under heavy fire at Magersfontein, finally meeting with his death at Paardeburg. The writer of his obituary notice speaks of him as being "a fine specimen of a soldier and a man.'

The Fencibles.

Towards the end of the eighteenth century " Fencible regiments, which belonged, it must be remembered, to the regular army, but with service only within the British Islands, were formed in Man, as elsewhere. The first regiment of " Royal Manx Fencibles," as it was called, which numbered 333 of all ranks, was formed in 1780. It was disbanded in 1783, after the Peace of Versailles, and was re-embodied in 1793. In 1795, a second regiment of five companies, numbering about 360 men in all, was formed, and five more companies were added in 1797. This force, of about 700 men, served during the Rebellion in Ireland, while the first regiment was kept in the island. Both regiments were disbanded in 1802. On the renewal of the war, a single regiment of 800 men was formed. This regiment was disbanded in 1810. Its members were more remarkable for the breadth of their shoulders than their height, which averaged 5 feet 7½, inches, since they are said to have covered more ground than any other regiment in the British Army. They were, no doubt, a very fine body of men. Some of their officers have already been mentioned under other headings, and we give here the names of all the others about whom we have been able to obtain any information. The. following were:

* WILLIAM CUYNINGHAM probably a son of Col. William Cunningham. He was an M.H.K. ; also

CAESAR TOBIN (b. 1770, d. 1841). He was the proprietor of Middle in Braddan, and brother of Sir John Tobin. He was an M.H.K. from 1819 till his death.

The following were captains: THOMAS CHRISTIAN, probably the father of William Watson Christian, and proprietor of Ballachurry, Andreas. He was an M. H. K. in 1797 ; JOHN CHRISTIAN, the eldest son of John Christian of Pooildhooie and Catherine Callow of Ballaglass; WILLIAM BACON, probably an uncle of John Joseph and Caesar Bacon ; PHILIP MOORE (b. 1769), a son of Deemster Thomas Moore of the Abbey and Margaret Moore of the Hills; RICHARD HARRISON (b. 1774), probably an ancestor of the late Ridgway Harrison; JOHN FRISSELL (b. 1737, d. 1793), an M.H.K. from 1758 till his death. He was also High-Bailiff of Ramsey, father of John, Charles, and William, who were in the Royal Navy (see p. 134) and son of Attorney General Frissell and Margery, daughter of Deemster Nicholas Christian of Ballastole -JAMES QUIRK probably belonged to the Parville family and was an M.H.K. in 1797. He was afterwards attorney-general ; DANIEL F. WILSON was one of the Farm Hill family. He was an M.H.K. in 1824.

The following were lieutenants: CHARLES MOORE, brother of the Philip Moore already mentioned ; RICHARD QUIRK, probably James Quirk's son. He was afterwards receiver-general; EDWARD QUAYLE (b. 1761), a son of John Quayle, C.R, and Margaret Moore, daughter of Sir George Moore of Ballamoore. He was an M.H.K. in 1813 ; MARK HILDESLEY QUAYLE, his brother (b. 1770, d. 1804), became clerk-of-the-rolls in 1797 ; ROBERT FARRANT (b. 1753, d. 1820), High-Bailiff of Peel, became the proprietor of Ballamoar, Jurby, through his marriage with the heiress, Miss Christian. He was an M.H.K. in 1813; NORRIS MOORE. (d. 1818), afterwards deemster; WILLIAM QUILLIN, probably a son of the attorney-general of that name. He was an M.H.K. in 1797;

MARK COSNAHAN (b. 1773), son of Hugh Cosnahan and Eleanor Finch ; PHILIP THOMAS MOORE (b. 1772) ; JOHN LAMOTHE (b. 1764, d, 1808), the eldest son of Dominique Lamothe and Susanna, daughter of Henry Corrin of Castletown. The history of Dominique Lamothe, the French progenitor of a Manx family which has done good service to the island, is interesting enough to deserve a few lines. He was the son of Sieur Armand Lamothe of Bayonne, in the Basses Pyrenees, and Marguerite Perez. In 1769, he went as surgeon on board the privateer brig " St. Lawrence," of 10 guns. She captured several English vessels, the crews of which rose and took possession of her, bringing her into Douglas. Dominique, with the rest of the French crew, was imprisoned in Castle Rushen, but was released on parole. When H. M. S. " Delight " came to take off the prisoners, he, having gone on an exploring expedition into the island,"1 was not to be found, and so the " Delight" sailed without him. He was then re-imprisoned, but it it said that his medical skill proved so successful in the case of the governor's wife that be was released, and as, after the conclusion of peace in 1763, he remained in the island of his own free will, he continued the practice of his profession there ; RICHARD and ROBERT GELLING, probably sons of Edward Gelling of Castletown and Isabella Moore of Pulrose. This family is now, we believe, represented by Mr H. E. Gelling, advocate, Castletown; HENRY WHITESIDE, an ancestor of Mr. Robert Whiteside, now residing in Douglas.

The following were ensigns : FREDERICK LAMOTHE, John's brother (b. 1773, d. 1838), was both ensign and " surgeon's mate." He was afterwards an M.R.C.S., and practised in Ramsey for 35 years. He was the late high-bailiff's grandfather; EDWIN HOLWELL HEYWOOD, a brother of Captain Peter Heywood ; ROBERT BANKS (b. 1779, d. 1818), proprietor of Howstrake, Onchan. He was an M.H.K. in 1808; JOHN MOORE (b. 1778, d. 1854), a son of Robert Moore of Pulrose, and Eleanor Gelling. He married Eunice Teresa Caterine Oates, nee Moore, heiress of the Hills' property in 1808. He was a member of the House of Keys from 1819 to 1854, being speaker from 1852 to 1854 ; JOHN BRIDSON probably belonged to the Ballavarvane family DANIEL MYLREA, probably a son of Archdeacon Daniel Mylrea JAMES TOBIN (b. 1790, d. 1818), a son of Major Caesar Tobin and Ann Moore ; THOMAS MOORE, son of Charles Moore, of Billown, and Jane Clucas, of Mstryvoar. He was afterwards an M.H.K. The present proprietor of Billown is his grandson ; JOHN LLEWELLYN, probably a son of Captain John Llewellyn, already mentioned. He was an M.H.K. in 1813; WILLIAM GENESTE, a member of a well-known family which settled in Douglas early in the eighteenth century. He was probably an ancestor of the two Genestes who served in the Crimean War; PHILIP OATES CHRISTIAN, a son of Captain John Christian3 and Catherine Oates. He died at Omagh in 1801.

+We give the highest rank to which they attained in each case.
see p. 134. t
she afterwards married Thomas Howard (see P. 32).-

1From an account by the late J. C. Lamothe.
2 See p.
See p. 150.

There were also the following officers, with Manx names, whom we have not been able to identify : Lieutenants HENRY MOORE, R. CLAGUE, WILLIAM KEWLEY, WILLIAM BREW; Ensigns JOHN CLAGUE, ROBERT CHRISTIAN, THOMAS CLUCAS, WILLIAM CUBBON,1 WILLIAM CALLOW,1 JAMES GARETT, and PHILIP CALEY.

1 A William Cubbon and a William Callow were " M.H.Ks." in 1797.

The Militia.

Every Manxman was, and is, bound to give free military service. Early in the sixteenth century we find the militia divided into twenty-two companies, under their captains, lieutenants, and ensigns. Of these companies, one came from each of the seventeen parishes, except Lezayre, which had two, and one from each of the towns.+ Their only appearance on active service, as far as is known, was in 1651, when, under the command of Receiver WILLIAM CHRISTIAN (Illiam Dhone), they rose against the Countess of Derby and captured all the forts, except Rushen and Peel. Their chief leaders, in addition to William Christian, were WILLIAM CHRISTIAN of Knockrushen, EWAN CURGHY of Ballakillingan, SAMSBURY RADCLIFFE of Gourden, and JOHN CAESAR of Ballahick, of whom we will give brief notices.§


SAMSBURY RADCLIFFE, also a member of the House of Keys, was owner of the estate of Gourden, in Patrick. He was in command not only of his parish company, but of all the northern companies who laid siege to Peel Castle. The castle was actually taken by them, but they were afterwards driven out again. In 1657, he got into trouble for " defaming the Governor and Deemster."*

* Lib. Scaccar.

+ Manx Soc Vol. III., P. 35.


JOHN CAESAR, of Ballahick, Malew, a member of a once well-known insular family, now extinct in the male line, was lieutenant of the parish company of Malew, and seems to have been engaged in the vain attempt to take Castle Rushen. He was one of the delegates who met Colonel Duckenfield. He was a member of the House of Keys till 1654, and then, till 1660, attorney-general. We have only one more glimpse of JOHN CAESAR, and that is in connexion with his wife, Jane, who, in 1659, was acquitted of a charge of witchcraft, but was, nevertheless, ordered " to declare her innocence " in church. On the reading of this order, " Mr. Jo: Caesar (and his said wife beinge in their own seate in the Chancle) said to his wife, ' Can't you say that you renounce the Divell ?' which she accordingly did."* JOHN CAESAR's property, as well as that of Ewan Curghey and Samsbury Radcliffe, was restored by order in Council in 1663.

Civil Service

There have also been some distinguished Manxmen in the Civil Service of the Crown:


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2001