[From Thwaites Directory, 1863]


KIRK CHRIST RUSHEN parish forms the south-western extremity of the island. It is about four and a half miles from north to south, and one mile and a-half from east to west. On the north, lies Patrick, on the south and west, the sea, and on the east, Arbory. The parish church is four miles west from Castletown. In the centre of the parish the soil is excellent. The northern and southern portions are mountainous and barren. Here are some extensive limestone beds. A considerable quantity is burnt for manure for lands. The principal owners are –Messrs. Edward M. Gawne, Thomas Gawne, P. T. Cuninghame, C. Cary, James Clague, John T. Clucas, T. Cottier. W. Corrin, C. Corran, J. Gale, John and Wm. Gas n-, T. Harrison, T. Kegg, W. Kelly, J. Kermode, R. Kneen, Thomas Moore, Peter Petrie, J., R., and W. Qualtrough, J. Quirk, J. Shimmin, John Taylor, and H. Watterson. In 1861, Rushen contained 641 houses,–617 inhabited, 18 unoccupied, and 6 building. The population was 3297,–1630 males and 1667 females. In 1851 the numbers were – houses 635, population 3266. Increase in the past ten years, 6 houses and 41 inhabitants. Kentraugh, the seat of Edward M. Gawne, Esq., the speaker of the House of Keys, is a delightfully-situated mansion, about three miles from Castletown. It is built of freestone, brought from the quarries of Mostyn, in Derbyshire, A noble colonade, supported by massive columns of the Tonic order, extends along the entire front of this building. The cations rooms are fitted up in a most tasteful and elegant manner. The offices and outhouses are conveniently situated, and contain all the various requisites, furnished by the best judgment. The gardens and pleasure grounds are laid out in a most (tasteful manner, and contain a choice collection of exotics and plants, and fruits of every description. The name of the parish, according to Challoner, is derived from the church being erected on the side of a rushy bog. The greater probability is that Rushen is derived from St. Russin, one of the twelve missionaries who accompanied St. Columbus to Iona. The parish church, about the centre of the parish, is a small structure, affording accommodation for only 450 persons. It was rebuilt about the middle of last century. At the west end is a bell turret, the bell being rung from the outside. In a meadow near this church King Reginald was slain. (Seepage 41.) The living is a vicar age, value £180, in the Patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Hugh S. Gill,B.A. Here is 1a 3r.14p. of glebe land. Through the liberality of E. M. Gawne, Esq., a small farm, (annual value £50,) will be added to the vicar's glebe on the death of the present life tenant. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists here several places of worship in the parish. Here are two schools, one for boys the other for girls. The former has recently been erected, and will hold about 120 scholars, about 60 attend: Mr. Edward Illemnaster. The girls' school will accommodate 100,–attendance 80: Miss Elizabeth Grace Warburton, teacher. In the parish are several valuable mines. The Brada mines employ 52 hands. The depth of the mine is 38 fathoms below the sea level. The mines, which are in a prosperous state, are under the management of Captain William Kitto. The Glen Chass Mining Company employ about 40 hands, The depth of the workings, which are in a progressive state, are about 70 fathoms. Mr. John Trewin, captain. The South Foxdale Silver-Lead Mining Company have recently been established for the working of a set of mines lying south of the Foxdale mines. The set includes the Ballacorkish Mine, and is upwards of four miles in extent. The capital of the company is £25,000, raised in shares of £6 each. The works comprise an edit level, driven about 300 fathoms, which has yielded a considerable quantity of lead ore and blonde. About 200 fathoms from the entrance is a large east and west lode, from which, within a very small space, a cargo of rich silver ore was raised. About 80 fathoms in advance of this edit, two shafts hare been sunk about 20 fathoms deep, and several parcels of ore raised; and a few fathoms from the present end of edit, several lumps of ore near the surface have been found in an east and west direction, yielding from 60 to 60 ounces of silver to the ton of ore. The mines are man. aged by Capt. M. Grose. At Poolvash are extensive black limestone quarries. The name Poolvash, i.e., Pool of death, is conjectured to be derived from the great number of lives formerly lost in Poolvash bay, in consequence of the numerous sunken rocks. At Strandhall is a submerged forest, (see page 407,) and a little eastward of this forest, a brackish spring. (See page 407.) At the base of hill Gramma, near Rushen Church is Fairy hill, or Cronk mooar, the largest mound in the island. The hill is a truncated cone, composed of gravelly soil, 40 feet high, and 474 feet in circumference. On the summit is a circular excavation, about five feet deep, and 40 feet across. The excavation is surrounded by elevated edges, in the form of a parapet. The base of the mound was surrounded by a deep fosse, part of which may be seen on the south east side. According to tradition, Reginald, who was murdered by the Knight Ivar, lies interred here: other accounts state he was buried in St. Mary's Church, Rushen. Challoner observes, he had one of these mounds opened. It contained 14 rotten urns, or earthen pots, with their mouths downs arc. In one was a few brittle bones. Near Port Erin are the Giant's Quoiting Stones,–two massive pieces of clay slate, about two feet thick, three wide, and ten high. They are said to have been hurled hither, from the Mulls hills, by two giants, while having a trial of skill at quoit playing. They are probably two of the bauta stones erected by the Danes (o the memory of their brave. At the southwestern extremity of the parish is Spanish Head, a bold promontory, 800 feet above see level. It was here, in 1688, several of the ships composing the Spanish armada were dashed to pieces [sic -there is no basis for this story]. Near this promontory are the famous chasms formed by the deep readings of the rock. The principal masses have thus slid into new positions, while several lesser fragments are seen still suspended, as if in the act of sliding down. The chasms, twelve in number, run across the veins of the stones. "About 80 yards inland from the brink of the precipice, a line of subsidence runs east and west magnetic, and between this line and the cliff, a series of parallel deep fissures, some a yard wide and from 40 to 50 fathoms deep. At right angles to these fissures are others penetrating to a similar depth, though evidently narrowing as they lower. The area of the most disturbed mass is 12000 square yards. On a small portion of rock which has subsided somewhat more than the rest, are the remains of a stone circle." The chasms are supposed to have been caused by earthquakes, or by the action of the sea. Some few years ago, one of these large masses of rock fell from the top of Spanish Head into the sea. Near Spanish Head, apart from the mainland, are two conical-shaped rocks–the Sugar loaves–perfectly insulated, which jut up to the height of 150 feet from the water. Contiguous to them is a cave formed in an immense solid body of adamantine rock, so neatly excavated and regular in its proportions, that one would imagine it to be a work of art. It is supposed to have been formed by the action of the water against the rock. The entrance of the cave is about the width of a boat. Proceeding a few yards the visitor becomes enveloped in darkness. Further on, light breaks through from an opening beneath Spanish Lead. The way out from hence is clear. Ashocking accident occurred in this vicinity some time ago. Two samphire gatherers, a man and his wife having observed a large bed of samphire on the rocks beneath the precipice, determined to obtain it. The woman was let down for that purpose, and on being drawn up the rope broke, and she was precipated on the rocks beneath. In a farm yard about three quarters of a mile east of Port Erin,is a runic cross, said to be the tallest in the Island. It is more than eight feet high and is about two feet wide. Although much defaced it still bears traces of having been ornamented with knot work on the pillars. At the entrance gates of Ballachurry are two stone cannon balls,which were fired into His Majesty's ship, Suberb, while passing the Dardanelles, in 1806. On the estate of Ballagawne is an old Treen chapel. Another formerly stood at Ballakeihll Moirrey, be., the place of Mary's cell. Fleshwick is a narrow rocky creek, between Ennyn Mooar and Brada Head. It is sheltered from all winds except the north west, and affords good anchorage to the small fishing boats. In the mountains there is a mineral well, on the waters of which it is said ducks cannot live.

PORT ERIN, more generally termed Port Iron, is a thriving little village, nearly five miles west from Castletown. It is said to have received its present appellation from its bay opening towards Ireland. More probably the name is derived from the Manx Eirenoch, i.e., west. The inhabitant: are chiefly employed in the fisheries, and according to Feltham, send to the market the first samples in point of excellency, of all the choice kinds of fish frequenting these shores. The herrings are superior to all others, The bay forms a most excellent natural harbour: it is about half a mile in diameter. On the North is Brada Head, on the south the western coast, forming a sort of perpendicular wall, rising to the height of about two hundred feet. The bay is easy of access, and affords shelter from all winds except from the direct west. In favourable weather, vessels of 200 tons burthen can come close up to the rocks on the south side. Exertions are being made for erecting a breakwater, by which the bay would be converted into the best refuge harbour on the coast. It is expected a bill will be introduced into the House of Commons for this purpose during the present (1863) session. When completed there will be shelter and anchorage for 1,000 vessels. It is intended to run a pier 1,000 feet long from Bollan Rocks, in a northerly direction, into the water 30 feet deep. The original estimate was £25,000, but Captain Sullivan, (Board of Trade,) recommends a more substantial structure, to cost about £40,000. The money will be obtained from the Loan Commissioners at 3½ per cent., the security being the tolls received from vessels entering the harbour. In addition to the interest, two per cent. must be paid yearly, to repay the original outlay. Vessels will be charged 3s. 4d. every time they enter the harbour, or they may commute the tolls into a fixed sum of £2 for the season. It is not unlikely in a short time, Port Erin will become a favourite resort for sea bathers. The sands are beautiful–the views in the neighbourhood fine and picturesque–and the locality is dry and healthy; indeed there is everything to make this spot one of the most agreeable in the island. The visitor will find every accommodation and convenience at Mr. John Geary's, Falcon's Nest, or Port Erin, Castle Hotel. The rooms are spacious and well fitted up, and the views in the neighbourhood are most magnificent. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here. The Infants' School, attended by about 60 children, is taught by Miss Catherine Anderson. The Wesleyans have a chapel at Ballafesson. At the head of the bay is St.Catherine's Well: to which, in former times, the people resorted in great numbers on acconnt of the supposed medicinal virtues of its waters. Many wonderful cures are said to have been effected by its waters. Near to the well, formerly stood St. Catherine's Chapel. According to an ancient map it was in existence at the latter end of the sixteenth century. Port Erin is the most convenient place for taking a boat, to visit the Calf of Man.

PORT ST. MARY anciently Purt-noo-Moirrey, (i.e., the Port of Mary,) pleasantly situated on the western side of Poolvash bay, about four miles W. from Castletown, is another small village. It is chiefly occupied by fisher mall. The name is said to be derived from a Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, which stood in the vicinity. Here is a good harbour, which, though small, is well protected from the violence of the sea by a substantial stone pier, 690 feet long and 240 feet broad. At the head of the pier is a lighthouse, with one light fixed, and visible in clear weather for nine miles. The harbour, which is dry at low Cater, has about 9 or 10 feet of water at neap tides, and from 14 to 18 feet at spring tides. It has been much im. proved through the exertions of the late Edward Gawne, Esq. At the south side a new pier has been erected, which affords extra facility for the loading and unloading of vessels. The harbour is one of the principal rendezvous of the fishing boats, when engaged on the Irish coast. At some parts of the season there are as many as 700 boats here. The total number of vessels belonging this port is 192. Of these, 140 are engaged in the fisheries. The amount received for herrings alone in one season has exceeded £40,000. Considerable exports are made of agricultural produce and lime. It was from a stratified quarry of limestone in this neighbourhood, that the stone was obtained for the erection of the new jetty at Douglas. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each places of worship here. The Parochial School, a small building, will accommodate 150 scholars. About 60 attend: Mr. Thomas Clague, Master. The school-house is also used as a Chapel of. Ease. The Port St. Mary Hotel, commands a fine prospect of the bay. Visitors and tourists will here find every accommodation: Mr. Thomas Miller, Proprietor. A little below Port St. Mary is the small hamlet of Creigneesh. The inhabitants are very exclusive and primitive in their habits, and in many instances cannot converse in the English tongue.

THE CALF OF MAN is a small island separated from the mainland by a narrow channel about 600 yards in width. This channel abounds with dark hidden rocks; and the passage is made still more difficult by a small island called–The Kitterland. According to tradition, this latter islet was named after a Norman Baron.–(Seepage 26.) Another rock,–The Thousla, on the western outlet of the sound, has recently had a beacon erected on it. The tide through the channel is so strong that, according to Townley, vessels can seldom get through it without being driven sideways or stern foremast. Few vessels, however, run the risk of passing through except the fishing boats, which pass through on account of its saving them a considerable distance in doubling the island. A most fearful calamity occurred in this channel in December, 1852. It appears that the brig Lily, of Liverpool, 180 tons, was, by the severe gales, stranded on Kitterland. The captain and five of the hands were drowned in attempting to escape. The vessel had fifty tons of gunpowder in cargo; and the sub-agent of Lloyd's, at Port St. Mary, took a party of 27 men, with the police of the village, to save the cargo. Soon after they arrived on board a tremendous explosion took place, imparting a momentary shock like an earthquake. Thirty two sailors, principally belonging to Port St. Mary, were killed, and twenty three widows and seventy-five children were deprived of the means of subsistence. Several fragments of the wreck and limbs of the unfortunate men were scattered over the country, and a portion nearly to Castletown, six miles distant. It is supposed this disaster originated from incautious tobacco smoking. A foreign vessel which had been sunk about fifty years before was broken up and a considerable quantity of tallow came ashore in Castletown Bay and on the neighbouring coasts. A barque was lost off this island some few months ago. She was the Black Eagle, from New York to Glasgow, with a cargo of grain. When off the Calf, during a heavy gale, the cargo shifted, and the vessel was thrown on her beam ends. Part of the crew and the captain were picked up the same day, about two miles and a half off Douglas Head, by the schooner Jane Gardener, of Whitstable, and landed at Douglas. The island comprises about 800 acres; part of which is cultivated. It is the property of C. Cary, Esq. The name is derived from the old Norsk, Kalfey, in., Calf Island. On the west side of the island are two lighthouses erected for the protection of vessels navigating the Irish Sea. They are from 180 to 190 yards apart. The highest is 396 feet above sea level, and the other about 90 feet lower. The higher light bears from the Chickens, north-east half cast, distant about a mile and a-quarter. When the lights are in one they lead on the Chickens. These lights are doubly revolving, without colour, making their revolution in two minutes, and becoming gradually fainter during that time until at a distance they appear totally obscured. At their brightest period they are seen seven leagues off, when they appear like stars of the first magnitude. These lighthouses belong to the Board of Northern Lights~at Edinburgh. They are open to the inspection of visitors. Several high columnar rocks surround the islet, which hare evidently been detached by the impetuous dashing of the sea. On the western side, about 15 yards from the island, are two grand pyramids of rock called the Stack. They are of a triangular shape and upwards of thirty-five yards higher than the sea. On the southern extremis, of the island are the rocks–Burrough and Eye,–the former, in appearance like a lofty tower. On the head of the latter is an excavation in the form of a cross. It is called Bushell's Grave, though for what reason is unknown. The excavation measures about six feet long by three wide. It is about two fee' deep. At the bottom is a quantity of sea v ater. The Eye i' said to have received its name from its being perforated near its summit with a natural arch, the shape of the eye of a needle. The name is more probably derived from the Norse, Oe, an island. The island abound with sea-fowls, of various kinds. Chaloner says–"In the Calf of Man is curious sort of sea-fowl, called Puffins, of a very unctions constitution, whic breed in the coney holes. Here are some eyries of mottled facons that build in the rocks, great store of conies, and red deer; and in the


placed out at interest, in the lands of the Driney and Kew, in German, as appears by Bond and Mortgage From Wm. Morrison, dated 19 Feb., 1810, interest six per cent. Esther Clague, wife of Rev.John Glague, Vicar, by will, 1813, bequeathed to the Vicar and Wardens £20 Manks, the interest to be annually distributed amongst the poor. She also bequeathed to her grand niece Esther Jane Coulthard, her half share of the lands in Surby, called the Grampions, with half the houses thereon erected, the grand niece to pay yearly out of the said lands £3 Brit., to a Schoolmaster, for keeping a public Sunday School, which Master the Vicar and Wardens is to appoint. The said legacy of £20, with some interest in respect thereof, amounting to the sum of £21 Brit., is placed out at interest, as appears by a Promissory Note from the Rev. John Nelson and John Clucas, dated 1824: interest six per cent. The Rev. John Clague, Vicar, bequeathed to Norris Clague's son, (John Clague,) half of the Grampion Hills, with half of the houses built on John Crebbin's estate, and purchased by him, (Rev. J. Clague.) The said John Clague to pay yearly, £8 Manks'to a Schoolmaster, for teaching the youth their catechism, and other necessary branches of erudition, as shall be deemed right to the Captain, Vicar, and Wardens of the parish He also bequeathed to, the poor £20 Manks, the interest to be paid yearly to the poor. This bequest to the poor, with tonne interest due thereon, has been added to the £20 left by John Stevenson, for the use of the Vicar, (see below,) and lent to John Clucas and John Nelson, who have passed their Promissory Note to the vicar and Wardens for £43 16s. Od., dated 29th of December, 1818: interest six per cent. John Stevenson, Sen., of Castletown, Gentleman, by will, 1756, bequeathed to the Vicar of Rushen, and his successors, the interest of £20 Manks; the said stem to be well secured by the Vicars' General of the Isle, and the Wardens of the parish. Ele also bequeathed to the poor of Rushen and the poor of Castletown, the interest of £43 Manks, equally to be divided; the said sum to be well secured by the Vicar and Wardens of Kirk Christ and the Vicar and Wardens of Malew; the interest to be distributed yearly on the festival of St. Thomas the Apostle. He likewise left £12 Manx to the School to be erected by the Trustees of Mr. Philip Moore, Senr.'s Will, and to be on the same foundation, then to be paid with the foregoing Legacy for the use of the poor of Rushen,£21 l0s.; Bishop Wilson's bequest' £3; Mrs. Margaret Stevenson's bequest, (see Malew,) £10; John Kermod's bequest, £ l 4s. 6d.; John Watterson's bequest, £2 9s. oaf.; Cash added by the Vicar and Wardens, £1 16s. 6d.; making a total of £40 0s. 0d. Manks, which is now placed at interest at the rate of six per cent. per annum, as appears by a Promissory Note from Saml. Keggeen, Thos. Gawne, and H. Kelly, for -£35 Brit.' dated 16th Deer., 1818. Mr. John Nelson, by will, 1796, bequeathed to the poor £3 Brit., to be secured by the Vicar and Wardens, the interest to be divided amongst the poor yearly. Edward Qualtrough, by will, 1799, bequeathed to the poor £8 Brit., to the Vicar and Wardens, to be laid out upon interest, the interest to be paid yearly These two last-mentioned legacies, with Alice Gawne's legacy of £10 for a School, and Mr. Clucas's legacy of £5 for the same purpose, amounting, with interest, to £28 Manks, have been laid out at interest on certain lands in S;lureby, in Rushen, as appears by Bond and Mortgage from Michael Crebbin, dated 18 April, 1821: interest six per cent. The aggregate of bequests to the poor is Interest on Mortgage from Wm. Morrison, £6; interest on Promissory Note from the Rev. J. Nelson and John Clucas, £1 5s. 2d.; interest on the Rev. John Clague's bequest of £20 Manks, with interest thereon, amounting to £26 his. Brit., secured on Promissory Note from J. Clucas and J. Nelson, £1 l 1s. 11 1d-; interest on Promissory Note from Samuel Keogeen, Thomas Gawne, and Henry Kelly, £2 2s.; interest on bequests of John Nelson and Edward Qualtrough, yes. clod.; making a yearly income of £11 12s. 6d. Brit.

Katherine Qualtrough, by will, 1742, bequeathed to the Vicar or Curate of Trinity, Rushen, £16, to be secured by mortgage from William Mylchreest, on a new-erected Corn Hill, in Malew; the Bishop and Vicars' General to have the management of the charity. The Mill is a ruin, and produces nothing.



POST OFFICE at Margaret Harley's. Letters arrive from Castletown, at 9 a.m.: despatched at 4 p.m.
POST OFFICE at James McCombe's, Port Erin. Letters arrive at 9 a.m.: despatched at 3 p.m.

Marked 1. are at Port St. Mary: and 2. at Port Erin

Gawne Edw. Moore, Esq., Speaker House of Keys, Kentraugh

Adie James, agent to E. M. Gawne,Esq., Kentraugh

Cannell Wm.,stone cutr, Balladoole
Clague Jno., stone cutr, Balladoole
Clucas John, sail maker
Clucas Jno.T.,advocate.,Ballakilley
Corrin Thos., Esq., Ballasholough
Costain Thos.,miller, Kentraugh Mill

Gack Jas, lightkeeper,Calf of Man
Gawne Thos., Esq., Ballagawne and Ballacurry
Gill Rev. Hugh S. B.A.,Vicarage
Graham John,draper
Grose Capt. Math., manager, South Foxdale Mines

Haywood Wm.,lightkeeper, Calf of Man
2 Hoskin James, engineer
Howland John, over., Ballaquinney

Kitto Capt Wm., manager, Brada mines; h. Cross-four-ways

Mylecraine Edward, miller, King Willin Mill
Mylrea Jno.,cooper, Mount Gawne

1 Qualtrough Joseph, boat builder
1 Qualtrough Tlms., harbour mastr
Quilllam Thomas, lessee Poolvash Black Marble Quarries, and Castletown

Read Mrs. Ann, The Level

1 Sansbury William, nail matter
Scott Jas. B.,principal lightkeeper Calf of Man
1 Sheppard William, butcher
1 Skillicorn William, baker

Taggart Mrs. Mary, Ballasholough
1 Taubman Thos., timbermerchant
1 Trewin John, agent, Glenchass Mining Company

1 Watterson James, car proprietor
1 Watterson John, car proprietor
1 Watterson John, sail maker
1 Watterson Matt, baker


Allen Edw., Parochial (New) School
2 Anderson Catherine, Infant
1 Clague Thomas, Parochial
Qualtrough Thomas, Ballafesson
Warburton Eliz.G.,Girls' Parochial, Cross-four ways


1 Qualtrough Thomas
1 Quayle William
l Cubbon Edward
Taylor William, Ballafesson
Turnbull Robert, Cross-a kaley
Turnbull Thomas, Cross-four ways


1 Callow Thomas,
1 Callow William
Crebbin Richard, Ballafesson
Gamine Thomas, Ballafesson
Kegg Samuel, Ballacurry
1 Kegg Thomas
1 Qualtrough Henry
Sansbury Joseph, Surer


Bell Thomas, Surby
Bell William, Ballafesson
Callister William, The Howe
Carrin Edward, The Sound
Clague James, Rowena
Clague Richard, Ling-yeig
Clague Thomas, Rowena
Clucas John, Ballakilley
Clucas Thomas, Rowena
Cooill John, Cronaback
Cornish Henry,Ling-yeig
Corrin William, Ballavare
Costain John, Cronk-e-dooney
Costain John, Cronkmoar
Crebbin John, Ballacrink
Crebbin John, Ballawood
Crebbin Thomas, Fleshwick
Dawson Jas. E., Scholaby
Gale John, Strand hall
Gawne John, Little Rowena
Gawne Thomas, Ballafesson
Gawne Thomas, Calf of Man
Gawne Williams Glendowin
Griffin John, Drogedfell
Griffin Thomas, Ballahowe
Keig John, Aristine
Kelly Henry
Kermode Henry, Croughlagh
Kermode Henry, Brada West
1 Kermode John
Kinley Edward, Ballakermode
Kinley Thomas, Ling-yeig
Kinvig John, Ling-yeig
Kneen Richard, Cross-a Caley
Loway Thomas, Ballarock
Maddrell John, Ballahowden
Maddrell William, Glen Chass
Moore Thomas, Ballafesson
Moore Thomas, Ballaglena
Moore William, Fleshwick
Petrie David, Ballacreggin
Preston Richard, Ballacurry
Qualtrough Richard, Surby, East
Qualtrough William
l Quayle John, (and ship owner)
Radcliffe James, Aristine
Sansbury John, Surby
Taubman Thomas, Creigneish
Taylor Jo]m, Ballaqueeny
Taylor John, Ling-yeig
Watterson John, Brada moar
Watterson William, Corrella
Watson William, Strand hall


(Marked thus * are Wine &. Spirit Dealers.)
1 Bell William, (and tide waiter)
l * Brown Jane
Corrin John, The Level
l * Cubbon Jane
Cubbon William, The Level
Gray Abel, Cross four-ways
1 Harley Margaret, Post Office
l Henderson Christopher
1 Lace Thomas
1 * Lester John
1 Moore Thomas
1 * Qualtrough Edward


1 Crellen Daniel, Odd Fellows' Inn
Geary John, Falcon's Nest & Port Erin Castle Hotel
1 Maddrell Jane, Cumberland fun
Miller Thos., Port St. Mary Commercial and Family Hotel and Boarding House
Qualtrough John, The Level
Qualtrough John Kentraugh Brdg
Sansbury Wm., Port St. Mary


(Marked * are Cartwrights.)
Bell Richard, Ballafesson
1 Crebbon John
1 Gelling Robert
* Gray Abel, Cross-four-ways
1 * Hodgson Thomas
2 McCoombe James
2 Moore John
Moore Robert, Ballafesson
1 Moore Thomas
Sansbury Thos., (and boat builder) Port St. Mary; h. Ballavasson
1 * Taubman John
1 Taubman William, (and turner)
Taylor Peter, Smelt


1 Maddrell Catherine
1 Maddrell Isabella
1 Quayle Catherine
1 Quayle Jane


Brada Head Mines:– Capt. Wm. Kitto, manager
Glenchass Mining Compy.:– Capt. John Trevin, manager
South Foxdale Mines:– Capt. Matthew Grose, manager


2 Clucas William
1 Cowin Hugh
1 Lace Thomas


1 Brideson John
1 Callister Thomas
Duggan John, The Howe
Quirk Robert, Cross-four-ways


From Port St. Mary, at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., returning at 12 noon and 6 p.m.



Back index next

Rushen Parish

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000