[From Thwaites' Directory, 1863]


MALEW is a considerable parish, comprising within its limits the town of Castletown and the village of Ballasalla. It extends fiom north to south eight miles, and from east to west about filer miles. The parish church is a mile and a-half north from Cast]etown. The parish is bounded on the north by Marown and Patrick, on the south by the sea, on the east by the sea and Canton, and on the west by Arbory. The principal part of this land is fertile. The northern part is mountainous and barren. The principal landed proprietors are–Messrs. P., T., and W. Bridson, W. Callister, F. B. Clucas, T. Cretney, John Curphey, C. Dodds, John Drinkwater, J. Ewart, Wm. Fargber, H. Fitzsimmons, Edward M. Gawne, W. Gick, J'. Graham, J R. Harrison, W. B. Jefferson, John and Thomas Moore, H. Mylechreest, J. Quane, Mark H, John, and R. Wm. Quayle, John Quinney, Richard Quirk, Wm. Shimmin, and J. S. G. Taubman; the Trustees of the Academic Fund, the Trustees of the Impropriate Fund; Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. Duff, Miss Lucas and Mrs. Quayle. In 1861 the parish contained (exclusive of Castletown) 545 houses and 2692 inhabitants. Of the horses, 445 were inhabited, 44 uninhabited, and 6 building. Of the inhabitants, 1370 were males and 1322 females. In 1851 there were 595 houses and 3260 inhabitants, skewing a decrease in the ten years of 50 houses and 668 inhabitants. The name of the parish is said to be derived from St. Lupus, the patron of the church, (.71fa, the Celtic for Saint and, Lupus.) On the ancient paten preserved in the church is the following inscription: " Sancte Lupe ore pro nobis." St. Lupus was Bishop of Troyes. He came over to England with St. Germain, in the year 429, to suppress the Pelagian heresy, when he obtained such a high reputation for sanctity that several churches were dedicated to him. He afterwards returned to Troyes, and died there in 478 The parish church, a small ancient structure, about 65 feet in length and 18 feet in breadth, contains nave, chancel, and transept,–the latter on the north side of the nave. At the west end is a bell turret, containing two bells. The chancel window is embellished with some beautiful modern stained glass. The old Romanesque font stands at the south door of the chancel. The interior of the church is neatly fitted up, and is decorated with ensigns of the Stanley family and of the island, carved in wood, and with monumental slabs, the most ancient of which is in the chancel, and was "erected to Elin Corwyn, daughter of Robert Corwyn, of Cumberland, wife of Henry Stafferton, receiver of the castle, who departed in great mikeness, and that patience Christ did, 1578." This monument is said to bear the ablest date of any in the island. It is worthy of note, that the sacred vessels v hick were used in the service of the church previous to the Reformation are still preserved. They consist of a silver chalice and a patent The crncifix, the upright stem of a candlestick, l 3 inches long, and an extinguisher of brasswork, which was also anciently used, are likewise keptin a box'in the church. Waldron relates a curious story connected with the ancient communion cup. " A farmer belonging to Malew, returning homeward from Peel, was benighted in the intervening mountains and lost his way. After wandering he knew not where, he was insensibly led by the sound of sweet music into a large hall, where were a great number of little people sitting round a table, eating and drinking in a very jovial manner. Among them were some faces whom he thought he had formerly seen, but forbore taking any notice of them or they of him, till the little people offering him drink, one of them' whose features seemed not unknown to him, plucked him by the coat, and forbade him, whatever he did, to taste anything he saw before him, 'for if you do,' added he, ' you will be as I am, and return no more to your family.' The poor man was much affrighted, but resolved to obey the injunction, Accordingly, a large silver cup, filled with some sort of liquor, being put into his hand, be found an opportunity to throw what it contained to the ground, on which the music ceased and all the company disappeared, leaving the cup in his hand. He returned home and communicated to the minister of the parish all that had happened, and asked his advice how he should dispose of the cup, to which the parson replied that he could not do better than devote it to the service of the church, and this very cup they tell me, is that which is now used for the consecrated wine in Kirk Malew." The living is a vicarage, value £180, in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Gill. Attached to the living are seven acres of glebe. On a tombstone in the churchyard is an inscription to the memory of Susanna Taubman, (alias Quay,) who died on the 2nd July, 1784, in the 71st year of her age. She was born on a midsummer day, married on a midsummer day, and was buried on a midsummer day. In the Museum of King William's College, at Castletown, may be seen an ancient Scandinavian Cross, beautifully ornamented, which vvas discovered in this churchyard about nine years ago. Previous to this, there had been found in one of the graves–two Scandinavian swords. In the parish register are several interesting entries. (See pages 234 ~ 236.)

The Chapel-of-Ease of St. Mark is a small edifice, five miles north of Castletown. It was erected by subscription in 1772, under the direction of Bishop Hildesley, and is endowed with glebe lands, now yielding upwards of £90 per annum. The Rev. John Thomas Clarke is the chaplain. The National School at Grenaby, a small neat structure, erected in 1835, and capable of accommodating about 150 hearers, is also used as a Chapel-of Ease. The Rev. Thomas H. Gill, B.A, is the chaplain. The School has an average attendance of 35 scholars, and is conducted by Mr. John Wallis. St. Mark's School was erected in 1815. It is a neat building, and has a house for the master attached. The school, which is well attended, is under the superintendence of Mr. Philip Mylrea. The Wesleyans have chapels at Kerrow Kiel, Ballamoda, and Ballageary. The Primitive Methodists have also a place of worship at The Clougher. A short distance from St. Mark's Chapel-of-Ease, there formerly stood a large block of granite, knovn by the name of Godred Crovan's Stone. In connection with the stone is a singular legend:–" Godred, it appears, had a most turbulent wife. On one occasion being driven almost to desperation by the noise of her tongue, he turned her out of his castle, situated at the summit of Barrule. No somler did she think herself out of his reach, than she turned round and rated him worse then ever. Enraged at her conduct, Godred seized hold of this immense block, and burring it at her with all his might, killed her on the spot. The stone has since been broken up and some portions of it used in the erection of St. Mark's Parsonage. Not far from Godred Crovan's Stone there was in a field called the Great Unknown–an ancient Danish encampment called Black Fort. It stood in a valley, and was surrounded by a fosse and defended by a parapet. The Black Fort, is remakable as being the one described by Sir Walter Scott, in his Peveril of the Peak. " In former times," observes Sir Walter, " a Danish or Norwegian fastness had stood here, called the Black Fort, from the colour of a huge heathy hill, which,rising behind the building, appeared to be the boundary of the valley, and to afford the source of the Brook." Scarcely any vestige of the old fort remains. A little west from the parish church was a stone circle, constructed of irregular white quartz blocks. The circle was about 30 feet in diameter. The only vestige now remaining is one single quartz block. The remains of another stone circle may be seen in a field on the left hand side of the road' From Castletown to St. Mark's, near Atholl Bridge. In this parish is South Barrule, one of the highest mountains in the island. It is 1684 feet above the level of the sea, and is composed chiefly of clay slate. On the north side are large masses of granite, containing silvery mica,red and white fellspar, and grey quartz. It was anciently called Wardfel. (See page 236.) It is supposed to have received its ancient appellation from their having been a military post here of great importance. Its present name, Barrule, is derived from the Manx Baareooyl, i.e., the top of an apple. On the highest point of the mountain, are the ruiusof some ancient walls enclosing an irregular area, of rather more than four and a-half acres. On the north side, the walls are 27 feet thick; OF the opposite side they are not of so great a strength. Near the summit of this mountain, on the western side, may be seen some massive blocks of granite; one nearly two tons in weight, which has been forced from the granite boss, nearly two miles distant, and full 800 feet below the place where they are now situated. (See page 132 ) The prospect from the summit of Barrule is most extensive, and embraces some of the finest views in the island. The great Earl of Derby, in a letter to his son, remarks, " When I go on the mount you call Barrule, and by turning me round, can see England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, I think shame to see so many kingdoms at once, which no place I think in any nation that we know of under Heaven can afford such a prospect of, and have such little profit by them." Manninan beg mac y Lheear is said to have had his wigwam on this mountain; ('See page 17.) Baron Kitter is also said to have his castle on Barrule. ~ See page 2fi ) Waldron says–" At the base of the mountain, a giant's cave may be seen. In this cave, it is believed that a great prince, who never knew death, has been bound by enchantment for the last six hundred years. A huge dragon, with a tail and wings that darkened all the elements, and eyes like two globes of fire, has frequently been seen descending into this cavern, and aflerv arcs the most terrible shrieks and groans have been beard. If a horse or a dog is taken to the mouth of the pit, its hair will stand on end, its eyes stare, and a damp sweat will cover its whole body."

CHARITIES.–John Caesar, of Ballakick, by will, 1788, left to the poor of Malew, £200, the produce or interest thereof to be paid yearly, in such manner as the vicar and wardens shall direct.

Mrs. Ann Bridson, widow of the Rev. John Bridson, by will, 1819, left lo the poorest widows of Ramsey, and of the parishes of Bride, Alalew, and Marown, 30s. Brit., yearly. But the number of widows not to exceed six. The said sums to be distributed every year upon St. John's day, in Christmas in such proportions as her executrix, heirs, and successors may seem meet. The amount to be paid out of the estate of Ballaquinneg-Beg, in Marown. The said estate to be for ever subject to the payment thereon

ST. MARK'S CHAPEL AND SCHOOL.–Extract from the Register.– Provided the several Farmers, Quarterland and Intack holders adjoining that neighbourhood, do in proportion to their respective holdings, for the use and benefit of the seats or sitting places, endow the said Chapel with some yearly stipend or living to the officiating Clergyman, for the time to come, who is to teach School For these subscribers, and to be paid viz., for children reading, per quarter, one shilling and twopence; for reading and writing, one shilling and ninepence; for reading, writing, and arithmetic, two shillings and fourpence; and for Latin, three shillings and sixpence. Therefore be it known, that we whose names are hereunto subscribed, do, in consideration of the seats of the said Chapel, at the rate of ten pounds for each seat, promise and engage on our parts to endow and support the said Chapel, for the time being, with such sum or sums of money as shall hereafter be respectively affixed to our names, having it severally in our option or choice to pay the same or the interest thereof yearly, at the rate of five pounds out of one hundred pounds." ~ For other (Charities, see Castletown).


POST OFFICE at Peter Mylrea's, St. Marks. Letters arrive at 10.30. a.m. and are despatched at m.

Clarke Rev. Jno. Thos. chaplain, St. Marks
Cooil Thos., joiner, Grenaby
Corrin Rd., blacksmith, Grenaby
Crellin Thos., tailor, BlackHill

Gelling Mary, vict., Crossfourways
Gill Jno., shopkeeper, St. Marks
Gill Rev. Wm., Vicarage

Jefferson Wm. P., Limeburner, Ballahott
Joughin Chas., vict. and tailor, North Star, Ballamoda

Kegg Robt., shopkpr., Ballamoda
Kelly Jno., joiner, St. Marks
Kennish Robt,, joiner, St. Marks
Kinvig Robt., schoolmaster
Kinvig Sophia, milliner, Ballamoda

Maddrell Thos., miller and millwright, Grenaby
Moore Thos.,lime burner,Ballown and Great Meadow
Moore Thos., blacksmith, St. Marks
Mullen Robt., carding mill, Silverburn
Mylrea Peter, schlmster., St. Marks

Patty Jas., vict., St. Marks
Taggart Matthias, tailor, Barrule

Wallace John, schlmstr., Grenaby


Brideson Robt., Ballacrink
Corlett Thos., Couilcam
Quayle John, Grenaby
Watterson Wm., St. Marks


Bell Wm., Ballabell
Blyde Jas. Ballagloney
Brew John, Kerrowmoar
Bridson Jas., Felldraw
Bridson Mrs., Baulare
Bridson Thos., Silverburn
Bridson Thos., Gibdale
Bridson Thos., Ballabridson
Bridson Wm., Ballacrink
Bridson Wm., Cardeman
Burrows Wm., Craggins
Burrows , Clyour
Cain Chas., Ballacubbon
Cain John, Rensheant
Cain Thos., Llhergy
Callen Eliza, Bullynrenny
Callister Saml., Ballowne
Callister Wm., Ballagaroi
Callister Wm., Lhen Valley
Caugherty Jas., Claighnamm~a
Caugherty Wm., Corbea
Clague John, Oristal
Cooil Thomas, Ballabeg
Corbett S., Ballamoda beg
Corrin William, Felldraw
Cowin James, Bullyurenny
Crane Robert, Ballakew
Crane William, Ballaghunvearl
Cretney Thomas, Jassaby
Cubbon James, Whitestone
Cubbon Robert, Ballaquayle
Curphey Edward, Carbea
Curphey John, Cardeman
Faragher Stephen, Whitestmle
Fargher Thomas, Ballaquestion
Fargher William, Cooilcam
Fargher William, Barrule
Gawne Rubert, Crossag
Gelling William, Ballanank
Gill James, Ballanank
Halsall James, Cardeman
Halsall John, Moanney moar
Kaighan Thomas, Ballamodabeg
Kaighan William, Ballaworral
Kelly Eenry, Bullyurenny
Kelly Philip, Donore
Kelly Richard, Clycur
Kennaugh EIenry, Ballatrollog
Kennaugh William, Moamley moar
Kennish John, Ballacroak
Kennish Thomas, Mullinarogher
Kermode Christopher, Ballawallin
Kewley James, Ballakewn
Killey William, Ballanank
Kneale Robert, Ballavoddan
Kowish Thomas, Balladuggan
Loway William, Glasber
Maddrell George, Grenaby
Moore Robert, Ballafarrant
Moore Thomas, Dreem frearie
Mylechreest Humphrey, Ballamoda
Mylechreest Wm., Ballowne
Naylor , Quirk's Hill
Qualtrough Tlmrnas, Ballowne
Quarrie James, Ballahick
Quayle John, Ballowne
Quayle John, Ballamenagh
Quayle John, Kerrowmoar
Quayle Thomas, Ballahot
Quayle Thomas, Ballakew
Quayle Wm., Kerrowmoar
Quayle Wm.S Gate
Quaggin John, Thallovell
Quine John, Ballacharry
Quine Wm., Silverburn
Quinney John, Ballastrang
Radcliff John, Knockranney
Radcliff John, Corbea
Radcliff Richard, Ballachrink
Radcliff Robert, Ballagarig
Radcliff Thomas, Ballageary
Roney Wm., Kerrowkail
Sayle Charles, Ballavarvane
Shimmin John, Ballageary
Shimmin Robert, Ballakilley
Sbimmin Robert, Close Clark
Shimmin Mrs., Corber
Shimmin Thomas, Ballachrink
Shimmin Wm., Grenaby
Shimmin Wm., Ballafarrant
Shimmin Wm., Ballakilley
Skelly Edward, Corber
Taggart Elizabeth, Ballamoda beg
Taggart Wm., Gibdale
Taylor Wm., Blackhill
Turnbull Robert, Whitestone
Watterson John, Ballarobin
Watterson Thomas, Felldraw
Watterson Wm., Kerrowkail
Woodhouse Wm., Blackhill
Wright John, Ballachrink
Wright – , Donore


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2001