[from Manx Place-names, 1925]

Parish of Kirk Malew.

1153 Bull of Pope Eugenius III. Villa Sancti Melii.
1153 Bull of Pope Eugenius III. Monasterium Sancti Leoc.
1377 Bull of Pope Gregory XI. Ecclesia Sti. Moliwe.
1408 Add. Chart Ecclesia Sti. Lupi.
1511 Man. Roll. Parochia Sti. Lupi.
1525 Engraved on ancient church patten. Sancte Lupe ora pro nobis!
1703 Man. Roll. Kirk Malew.
1729 Dioc. Comm. Book. Ecclesia Sti. Lupi.
  Manx Skyll Malew.

IN this parish two saints have been confused from the beginning of the 15th century, St. Lupus and St.Lua or Molua, whose dedication dates were July 29 and June 25 respectively.

The earlier forms suggest St. Lua rather than St. Lupus. With the honorific prefix mo or ma, ‘my,’ and the endearing suffix oc or og, we get a great variety of forms in Ireland, Scotland and the Hebrides, such as :— Kilimaluag, Kilmoluag, Kilmoloig, Kilmolowaig and St. Moluay. We also find St. Mallock’s Fair, Luoch Fair and St. Malogue’s or Ernagola’s Fair. In the Manx names of 1153 we have two forms, Ma +Lua and Lu + oc, but in 1408 and 1511 church and parish bear St. Lupus’ name. The older dedication to St. Lua, however, has persisted to the present day, both in Manx and English. A fair, formerly held at Cross Four Ways on 25th July, was probably originally dedicated to St. Molua.

Malew is the largest parish in Rushen, comprising within its limits Castletown—the ancient metropolis of the Island —and Ballasalla, an agricultural village of some importance. The parish is eight miles long from north to south, and about four miles broad from east to West. It is bounded on the east by Kirk Santan and the sea, on the south by the sea, on the west by Kirk Arbory, and on the north by Kirk Marown and Kirk Patrick. The area of the parish is 12865.579 acres. The parish church is situated about a mile north of Castletown. The abbots of Rushen formerly held jurisdiction over the greater part of this parish.

Castletown being the seat of government for such a long period, many English names are found in the parish, such as : — Red Gap, Great Meadow, Bowling Green, etc. The homestead names, Grenaby, Tosaby, and Orrisdale, and many obsolete names found in old charters, such as Oxwath, Staynarhea, Steinredale, Rozefel, Oxrayzer, etc., testify to the fact that this parish was well colonised by the Norsemen, and there are very few place-names which belong to the pre-Norse period.

This parish is rich in historic associations and architectural remains. In Castletown, the ancient castle, dating back to Norse times ; in Ballasalla, the remains of the Abbey or Monastery of St. Mary of Rushen, and also the famous Crossag Bridge.


Abbey Meadows.
Belonged to Rushen Abbey. v. Great Meadow
Abbey, Rushen.
c.1376 Chron. Mann. Abbatia Sancte Marie Cistertii. (Cistertian Abbey of St. Mary) 1098.
c.1376 Chron. Mann. Abbatia Sanctæ Mariæ de Russin. (Abbey of St. Mary of Rushen).
Manx Name Mannishter Rushen.
Amnis de Russyn.
c.1376 Chron. Mann.
‘River of Rushen,’ now the Silverburn.
Angle Field, The.
Ardvolley [].
1703 Man. Roll. Ardvolly.
Mx. ard-woaillee, Ir. ard-bhuaile, ‘high cattle-fold.’ On the Granite Mountain. Ab. F.
Arerna, Treen.
c.1376 Chron. Mann. Aryeuzryn. [fpc note z according to Ralfe should be prounced as 'w']
1511 Man. Roll. Arernan.
1643 ,, ,, Arerna.
The first element is airgh, ‘a shieling’; the second an obsolete personal name,either Amhráin or Earnán. The Chron. Mann. name suggests the former, the Man. Roll name the latter.
Awin Ruy [].
‘Red river.’ This river takes its name from the fact that its course is strewn with boulders and stones washed down from the Granite Mountain, where it has its source. v. Mouru, Rozefel, Granite Mountain, and Bayr Ruy.
Awin y reaisht [].
Ir. Abhainn a’ réisg, ‘river of the moor.’
Bagnio, The.
1511 Man. Roll. Bagnio. the
1728 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds. Bagneo. The Lords
The Lord of Mann’s bath-house in Castletown, the site of which is in Arbory Street.
Bailie Gullet (Bailiff).
Ballabeg [].
Mx. Bailey beg, Ir. Baile beag, ‘little farm.’
The surname Begson [Ir. Ó Beig] is found in the adjoining parish of Arbory in 1511 . v. Ballabeg in Arbory.
Ballabridson [].
1666. Man. Roll. Ballabredson.
‘Bridson’s farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballacaine Moar.
1666 Man. Roll. Wm. Caine.
‘Cain’s great farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballacharry [].
‘Charry’s farm.’ (earlier Mac Sharry). Ab. F.
Ballachrink [].
1666 Man. Roll. Ballacruink.
‘Farm of the hill.’ Ab. F.
Ballachurry [].
1666 Man. Roll. Ballacurry.
Mx. Bailey curree, Ir. Baile curraighe, ‘miry farm.’ Ab. F.
‘Rock farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballacroak [].
Ir. Baile Chróc, ‘Croke, or Croak’s farm.’ Contains lost surname. Ab. F.
Ballacruink [].
1703 Man. Roll. Wm. Harrison, hill. ‘Hill farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballacubbon [].
1611 Lib. Mon. John McGybbon. ‘Cubbon’s farm.’ Ab. F.
Balladuggan [].
1511 Man. Roll. William Dogan.
1643 ,, ,, Gilbert Duckan.
Ir. Baile Ui Dubhagáin, ‘Duggan’s farm.’
Ballafarrant [].
1611 Lib. Mon. Thos. ffarrande.
1666 Man. Roll. John Farrant.
In 1511 Thomas Faraund had a small croft close to here. Ab. F.
Ballagarey [].
1666 Man. Roll. Ballagary.
Mx. Bailey Garee, Ir. Baile Gaerthaigh, ‘farm of the river shrubbery.’ Ab. F.
Ballagilbert [].
1511 Man. Roll. Reginald & Patrick McGibbon.
1703 ,, ,, Gilbert Cubon.
‘Gilbert’s farm.’ Cubbon is a modern development of McGibbon, whilst Gibbon is a Norman diminutive or pet form of Gilbert.
Ballagilley [].
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Balagil.
‘Gill’s farm.’ Canon Quine conjectures that this farm was held by Gill the Prior (of St. Leoc’s Monastery) mentioned as a witness to a charter of Olave, King of Mann and the Isles, A.D.1134.. Ab. F.
Ballagrangey [].
1666 Man. Roll. Balnygrangy.
Mx. Bailey ny grangee, Ir. Baile na grainsigh, ‘farm of the Granary,’ The Ir. grainseach (also the Manx form) comes from the Eng. grange, and is applied to a store-house for grain, usually a monastic granary. Ballagrangey was the granary farm of Rushen Abbey. Ab. F.
Ballahick [].
1511 Man. Roll. John Hyk.
1703 ,, ,, Ballahick.
Ir. Tadhg, ‘Hick, or Hyk’s farm.’
Ballahot [].
1539 Rush. Abb. Comp. Cot (le).
1703 Man. Roll. Ballahott.
1882 Brown’s Dir. Ballacott.
‘Farm of the cot,’ [Old Eng. ‘cott.’] Ab. D.
Ballahuggal [].
1511 Man. Roll. Thomas Hogell.
‘Hogell’s farm.’
Ballajerai [].
1666 Man Roll. Ballageraij.
Ir. Baile Mhig Fhearadhaigh, ‘Gerahy’s (Geraij or Jerai) farm.’ Contains lost surname. Ab. F.
Ballajuanvark [].
1666 Man. Roll. Ballajohnvark.
‘The farm of John the son of Mark [Bridson] .‘ The Bridsons [Brydsonne] are recorded as holders from 1611 to 1703. Ab. F.
Ballakew [].
1611 Lib. Mon. Richard Kewe.
‘Kew, or Mac Kew’s farm.’ Ir. Mac Aodh.
Sometimes called Ballavell, from John Bell the holder in 1666. Ab. F.
Ballakewin [].
1611 Lib. Mon. Thos. Kewen.
1643 Man. Roll. Ballakewne.
‘Kewin’s farm.’ Ir. Mac Eóin. Ab. F.
Ballakilley [].
1666 Man. Roll. Balnekilley.
Mx. Bailey ny killey, Ir. Bails na cille, ‘farm of the church.’ Now disappeared. v. Mx. Soc. Vol. V p. 197 ; Vol. XV, p. 88. Ab. F.
Ballalhergy [].
1640 Dioc. Reg. Ballaliarga.
1666 Man. Roll. Bal na largy.
Bailey ny liargee, ‘hill-side farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballalona [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballaglonna.
1666 ,, ,, Ballaglanna.
Mx. Bailey Glionney, Ir. Baile Gleanna, ‘glen farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballalough [].
‘Lake farm.’ This lake has long disappeared.
Ballaluig [].
Ir. Baile Luig, ‘farm of the hollow.’ Ab. F.
Ballamodha [].
1666 Man. Roll. Ballamodda.
Mx. Baliey Moddey, Ir. Baile Madadh, ‘farm of dogs.’ Ab. F.
Ballamodha Mooar.
1666 Man. Roll. Ballamodda More. Ab. F. ‘Big Ballamodha.’
Ballamodha Beg.
1666 Man. Roll. Ballamoddamenagh,
The present form means ‘little B. M.’ and the 1666 forms ‘middle B. M., or farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballanank [].
1666 Man. Roll. Ballanank.
1723 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds 37. Ballanank’s land.
‘Farm of the sheep-pen.’ v. Fanc.
Ballaquaggan [].
1511 Man. Roll. Henry McWhaken.
Ir. Baile Ui Cuagáin, ‘Coogan, or Quaggin’s, farm.’
As in many Manx names O Cuagáin has become Mac Cuagain.
Ballaquayle [].
1511 Man. Roll. Mac Fayl.
Ir. Baile Mhic Pháil, ‘Quayle’s farm.’
Ballaquine [].
1511 Man. Roll. Mac Quyn.
1703 ,, ,, Wm. Quine.
Ir. Baiie Mhic Cuinn, ‘Quine’s farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballarobin []
‘Robin’s (dim. of Robert) farm.’
Ballasalla []
1376 Chron. Mann. Balesalazc.
1595 Durham. Balisaly.
1648 Blundell. Bala Sala.
1666 Man. Roll. Ballasally.
Manx Name Balley Hallagh.
Probably Saila or Sailach was the old Gaelic name of the Silverburn, (q.v.) ‘the village of the sally or willow river.’ The Manx name is formed on the assumption that sailagh is an adjective meaning ‘dirty,’ and is probably a modern corruption.
Ballasally Cross.
1703 Man. Roll.
Ballashimmin [].
1511 Man. Roll. Mac Symond, Symyn.
Ir. Mac SIomón, ‘Shimmin’s farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballasteene [].
Ir. Baile Stibhin, ‘Steen, or Stephen’s, farm.’ Ab.F.
Ballastole [].
‘Stole, or Stowell’s, farm.’ Ab. F. A surname of doubtful origin, but found very early in Man.
Ballastrang [].
From the Norse strengr, primarily signifying a string; but in a secondary sense, something drawn out like a string. In Icelandic names it means a narrow channel of water, and in Scottish names, sreang, ‘a ridge’ which meaning it seems to have in Manx place-names.
Ballastrang therefore means ‘ridge farm.’ Ab. F.
Ballatrollag [].
1643 Man. Roll. Ballatrollag.
‘Trolags farm.’ There were several families of this name in Kirk Malew in the 18th century.
Ballavarvane []
1666 Man. Roll. Ballavervene.
A. W. Moore (‘Manx Names,’ p. 115) derives this name from bayr vane, ‘white road.’ The surname Borwan is found in the adjoining parish of Santan in 1515, which might also be entertained here.
v. Ballakew.
Ballavoddan [].
Ir. Baiie Bhuadain, ‘Boddan, or O’Bodan’s, farm.’
Containing lost surname. Ab. F.
1611 Lib. Mon. Thos. Whetstonnes.
1643 Man. Roll. Thos. Whetstone.
‘Whetstone’ s farm .‘ Ballawhetstone near Malew Church is called Ballaqueston (for Ballaquetston) on Ord. Sur. Map. Now known as Church farm. Ab. F.
1703 Man. Roll. Carter Woods.
‘Wood’s farm.’
Balthane [].
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Byulthan.
1539 Rush. Abb. Comp. Bouleton (?).
1666 Man. Roll. Boaltane.
Probably connected with Beltany, Mx. Boaidyn, Ir. Bealitaine, the great Summer Festival of the Celts. Many places in Ireland receive their names from the same source, showing where a fair or great gathering was annually held with its many games and feats of strength. Ab. F.
Bayr Gawne.
1703 Man. Roll. Bare Mc Egawn. ‘Mac Gawne’s road.’
Barrule, Treen, [.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Worzefel. [fpc see prev note re 'z']
1511 Man. Roll. Warfell.
1643 ,, ,, Warfeild, Barrowle.
1703 ,, ,, ‘, Barroole.
S. Vörðufjail, ‘ward mountain.’ A name connected with the institution of ‘Watch and Ward,’ which was constantly enjoined on the inhabitants From the statutes respecting this duty, one finds that each parish had its warden, who was responsible for ‘the dutifull and carefull observance of watch and ward,’ and this went on till the year1815. The day-watch went to his post at sunrise, and the night-watch at sunset.
The late Dr.John Rhys—the eminent Celtologist—was the first to point out the probable derivation of Barrule from its ancient Norse name Wardfell, (v. Moore’s ‘Manx Names,’ preface p. vii).
The corruption of Vörðfjal1 to Barrule must have occurred very early, probably the evolution began soon after Norse influence ceased to exist in Mann. Literature, however, has also preserved a literary form, Warfell or Wardfell, down to the present day. We find the colloquial forms Barroole and Barrowle as early as 1645. The literary form was usually applied to the treen, and the colloquial one to the mountain.
The evolution of this Norse name through Celtic lips is interesting :—
Original form Vörðfjal1.
Contracted form Warfeil.
Vocalisation of labial (f)
and attraction ofstress Warool or Varool.
Change of spirant (v, w)
to mute (b) Barrool, Barrule
Barry’s Close.
1643 Man. Roll. Robt. Barry.
Bayr Beg [].
‘Little road,’ Ballavoddan.
Bayr Ruy [].
‘Red road.’ The Gaelic name of the road which leads from St. Mark’s to Ballamodda. This road crosses the Awin Ruy (q.v.) and the bridge here is still locally known as the Bayr Ruy (pron. birroo) Bridge.
Bayr Tessen [].
‘Cross road.’
1703 Man. Roll.
‘A house and garden adjoining the little tower against the Bellcony." In Castletown.
Bell’s Close.
Trans. of Mx. Close Veil. Ab. F.
Bell Nank’s Land.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Bell of (Balla-)nank’s land.’
Big Pairk [].
‘Big field.’ Scarlett.
Billown [].
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Bylozen.[fpc see previous re 'z']
1539 Rush. Abb. Comp. Belownde (Grete,Litill)
1643 Man. Roll. Beillowne.
1703 ,, ,, Billowne.
S. By + Loðinn, ‘Lodinn’s farm.’ By prefixed, showing Gaelic influence. Ab. D.
Billown Flats.
Black Hill.
1666 Man. Roll. Knock Dooe.
Mx. Cronk doo, Ir. Cnoc dubh. Ab. F.
Black Rock.
Gael. Greg doo.
Boaltan bana.
Mx. Bwoailtyn baney, Ir. Buailte bâna, ‘white cattle-folds.’
Boaly na muck.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx, Bwoaillee ny muc, Ir. Buaile na muc, ‘the fold of the pigs.’ Ab, D.
Boaly Vargeene.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Martin’s cattle-fold.’
Boe Norris.
‘Norris’ tidal-rock.’ v. Ballanorris.
Bog Croft.
1728 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds, 66.
Bole Mekketts.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Meaning obscure. Probably miscopied. The first word may be boayl, ‘a spot or place’ (Ir. ball).
Booilchyn-renny [].
Mx. Bwoaityn-rhennee, Ir. Buaiite raithnighe, ‘ferny folds.’
Booilley-corage [].
1515 Man. Roll. Mac Quarrag.
Ir. Mac Giolla Phádraig, ‘Corage’s fold.’
Booldoholly, Ord. Sur. Map.Locally [].
1666 Man. Roll. Boaldolly.
1882 Brown’s Dir. Boaldaley.
‘Daly’s [Ir. O’ Dálaigh] place.’ Ab. F.
Bowling Green.
1666 Man. Roll. Bowling Green.
Many English names occur around Castletown, the ancient seat of government. Ab. F.
Bravag, Port [].
S. Breiðvik, ‘broad creek’(?). On Langness. Breyvig in Norway.
Breck Willy [].
1666 Man Roll. Brack Boaly.
Mx. Breck woaillee or bwoaillee, Ir. Breac bhuaile, ‘speckled cattle-fold,’ [or ‘milking place.’] Ab. F.
Brome, The [].
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem. lands.
Old Eng. bróm, ‘broom, genista’ i.e. ‘a place of broom.’
Broogh, The [bru:].
Mx. Yn broogh, Ir. An bruach, ‘the brink.’
Brooy’s Garden.
1703 Man. Roll.
v. Knock e vriew.
Bwoaillee Beg.
‘Little cattle-fold.’ Ballavoddan.
Cabbal Leonard.
v. Crot Cabbal Leonard.
Calf Close.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
1153 Bull of Pope Eugenius III to Furness Abbey.
Probably this is an early Gaelic name, i.e. belonging to the period immediately prior to the Scandinavian colonization of Man. From the context one would imagine it to be somewhere near Castletown Bay, and if this is so it may be Cam an clad (or cloed), ‘the cairn of the sea-margin,’ which may have been the pre-Norse name of Hango Hill.
Cam lheeah, Ir. Cam liath, ‘grey cairn.’ Ab. F.
Carown’s Garden.
1723 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds 31.
Carret’s Ground.
1611 Lib. Mon. Henry Garret. Ab. D.
Cass ny hawin [].
.Sometimes cosh is found instead of cass. The former is the dative or locative form. Ir. Cos (cois) na h-abhann, ‘the foot of the river.’ Santanburn.
Castel-Land, Treen.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Villa Castelli.
1511 Man. Roll. Castel-land.
The treen of Scarlet q.v.
Knock Rushen.
Castle Rushen.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Castella de Russyn.
1511 Man, Roll. Casteltown.
A translation of its Manx name Bailey Cashtal, which it is still called by Manx speaking people.
Chibbyr Drine [].
‘Thorn (tree) well.’
Chibbyr Unjin [].
‘Ash well.’ This is the usual translation of this name. It is possible, however, that a saints’ name is involved here, as the well is quite close to the ruins of an ancient church.
Christian’s Ground.
1611 Lib. Mon. Edward Christin.
1703 Man. Roll. Christian’s Ground.
Belonged to the Christians of Lewaigue. Ab. D.
Church Street.
1703 Man. Roll.
In Castletown. Takes its name from St. Mary’s Church, built in 1698, by Bishop Wilson. Rebuilt at the beginning of the 19th century.
1703 Man. Roll. Cloddaugh.
1723 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds 31.
Mx. Claddagh, Ir. Cladach, in Manx names usually applied to meadow-land beside a stream.
Claberry [].
S. Kieifaberg, ‘cliff rock.’ Kleiberg in Norway.
Clarke’s Meadow.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Clagh-woaillee, ‘stoney fold.’
Cleigh Rour [].
1640 Dioc. Reg. Cley rower,
1703 Man. Roll. Cly rower.
Mx. Gleigh rouyr, Ir. Cladh reamhar, ‘thick (fat) dyke (hedge or fence).’ The earthwork known as the Black Fort was on this estate. (v. Sir Walter Scott’s ‘Peveril of the Peak.’) This name appears in Moore’s ‘Manx Names’ p. 96, as Claare Ouyr, which is obviously misspelt, as both the older and the modern name show.
Close Bane.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘ White enclosure.’
Close ny Chollagh,
‘Enclosure of the stallions.’ Collagh is aspirated instead of being ellipsed. This corruption often happens in place-names.
Clougher [].
1666 Man. Roll. Clycurr, Cleycur.
Ir. Claidh cor, Mx. Cleigh Coy, ‘odd dyke, fence, or rampart.’ Ab. F.
Cly ne mona [].
Cleigh ny moaney, ‘the dyke of the turbary, or bog.’
Colt’s Ground.
1539 Rush. Abb. Comp.
‘of the colts.’
Comissary, Treen.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Comsary.
1511 Man. Roll. Conessary or Cornssary.
1643 ,, ,, Comissary.
The 1511 spelling is doubtful. The original form may have been Scand. Konungsgarðr, ‘king’s enclosure,’ Ronaldsway (Derbyhaven), q.v. which adjoins the lands of the Abbot of Rushen. When proceeding to Castle Rushen it was usually here that the Kings of Man landed.
Cooill, The.
‘The nook.’
Cooilcam [].
1666 Man. Roll. Coilcam.
Ir. Cúil cham, ‘crooked corner’ (or angle). Ab. F.
Coole Cley.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Cooill cleigh, Ir. Cúil claidh, ‘corner (angle, etc.,) of the fence, (dyke, etc).’
Cordeman [].
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Cornama.
1640 Dioc. Reg. Cordama.
1666 Man. Roll. Cordaman.
S. Kverndrvað, ‘mill river ford,’ v. Coma. This was probably a ford on Santanburn at Ballahown, now spanned by a bridge. It is probable that the estate of Ballavarvane, between Cordeman and the Santanburn, was anciently part of Cornama. v. Coma and Cardle in Maughold.
Coren’s Grounde.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Corlea []
1703 Man. Roll. Curlea.
Mx. Cor-lheeah, Ir. Cor-liath, ‘grey hill.’
c. 1376 Chron. Mann.
This was the ancient name of the Santanburn as appears by a reference to the river in the Abbeyland boundaries of Malew . Scand.Kverná ‘ Mill water or river.’
A kvern was a horizontal water-mill, which the Norsemen introduced into Britain, and which are only found in those parts of Britain which were subject to Norse influence, especially in Man, the Hebrides and along the W. coast of Scotland. They are still in use in Scandinavia. v. Cardle in Maughold.
Corrin’s Croft.
1643 Man. Roll. James Corrin.
Cotteen’s Croft.
1703 Man. Roll.
Cotter’s Ground.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
‘Cottier's ground.’
Court Close.
Probably records the meeting of a jury. Above Silverburn, left side of road.
Creg Custane [].
‘Costain’s rock.’
Creggans [].
Creggan (with Eng. plur.), ‘rocky ground.’ Ab. D.
Creg Inneen Thalleyr [].
‘The rock of the tailor’s daughter,’ who was drowned here.
There is a legend connected with this rock similar to that of Creg ny neen in Kirk Christ, q.v.
Creg Mill.
1666 Man. Roll. Creg Mill.
Croit y Caine [].
‘Caine’s croft.’ Ballavoddan.
Cronk Breck [].
1666 Man. Roll. Knock Breck.
Ir. Cnoc breac, ‘speckled hill.’
Cronk Doo Ling [].
‘Black hill of the ling’ (heather). On Ballavoddan. Ling is Norse, but a common dialect word in Mann.
Cronk ny geayee [].
Ir. Cnoc na gaoithe, ‘the hill of the wind.’
Cronk ny shee [].
Ir. Cnoc na sidhe, ‘bill of the fairies.’
Cronk, The.
‘The hill.’ Ballavoddan.
‘Ferny hill.’
Cromwell’s Tanhouse.
1703 Man. Roll.
Cromwell’s Walk.
Crossag [].
1640 Dioc. Reg. Crossag.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘The little cross, or crossing.’ The Gaelic name of the famous bridge of the Abbey of Rushen, now known as the ‘Monks’ Bridge.’ "This is probably the oldest bridge in the Island, dating from the 13th century. Its breadth in the centre is only three feet three inches." ( Moore’s ‘Names,’ p. 105). The neighbourhood is still called the Crossag.
Cross Four Ways.
1723 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds, 36.
Cross Four Ways. Mx. Crosh ny Kiars Raaidyn.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann.
‘Ivar’s (Scand. name) cross.’ One of the Malew Abb. Land boundaries, and, following the text, one would imagine that this cross must have been somewhere between Ballahick and Balthane. Canon Quine conjectures that it was so named from a cross to commerncrate Ivar’s victory in 1250. Moore’s ‘Manx Names,’p. 202. The construction of this place-name, with pers. name last instead of first, shows Gaelic influence. The Scand. form would be Ivarrskross. v. Billown.
Crot a Quirry.
1703 Man. Roll. Edward Quirry.
Ir. Mac Mhuireadhaigh, ‘Quirry’s croft.’
Crot a taggart.
1611 Lib. Mon. John Taggart.
Ir. Mac an t-Sagairt. ‘Taggart’s croft.’
Crot Cabbal Leonard.
‘Leonard’s chapel croft.’
Crot e Caran.
1643 Man. Roll. Gilbert Carran.
Ab. F.
Crot Drinagh.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Croit drineagh, ‘thorny croft.’
Crot e Quiggin.
1666 Man. Roll. Nicholas Quiggin. ‘Quiggin’s croft.’ Ab. D,
Crot na killey.
1666 Man.Roll.
Mx.Croit ny killey, ‘church croft.’ Nr Malew Church.
Crot ney broy, Crott na broij.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Croit ny brooie, ‘the croft of the brink or border.’ Ab. D.
Crott Bell.
1666 Man. Roll. John Bell.
‘Bell’s croft.’ Ab. F.
Crott e dow hallow.
1718 Reg. Deeds.
Mx. Croit y doo-halloo, ‘croft of the black laud or plot.
Crott vally.
1703 Man. Roll.
Croity valley, ‘village croft.’ Near Ballasalla.
Crot Varteene.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Martin’s croft.’
Crot vegg.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Croit veg, ‘little croft.’
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
The meaning of this name is obscure. It was in the parish of Malew where there was a great deal of Eng. influence, and probably it is an English name. It may be 16th century Eng. Rochedale, ‘rushy dale or glen,’ which has been Gaelicized by prefixing dale instead of suffixing it as is usual.
Demyster Close.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
‘The deemster’s enclosure.’
Depe fold.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Mx. Bwoaillee Ghowin, ‘deep fold.’
A modern name of Irish extraction, probably after Donore, in Meath. Dun-uabhair, ‘the fort of pride.’ Joyce’s ‘Irish Names of Places,’ Vol. II, p. 473, 1912 ed.
Dreeym Ruy [].
1703 Man. Roll. Drim Roy.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map. Dreem Froy.
Ir. Druim Ruadh, ‘red ridge.’ Several places in this neighbourhood take their names from the colour of the granite when weathered, as it has a distinctly ruddy hue. v. Awin Ruy, Bayr Ruy, Mouru, Rozefel and Granite Mountain. There is a church and small hamlet here. v. St. Mark’s.
Dreswick (Point and Harbour) [].
S. Drangsvík, ‘rock creek.’ Drangr is a lonely upstanding rock. In Scandinavian lore these rocks were thought to be giants turned into stones.
Drangsland in Norway.
Ellan Vretyn [].
‘Isle of Britain or Wales.’ At the extreme south of Langness, a ridge of rocks bears this name.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann.
Sc. G. fang, ‘a sheep-pen.’ This was the name of a glen on the southern slope of South Barrule, now Glen Cham. Probably its Manx name was Glion Faing, Sc. G. Gleann Faiing, ‘glen of the sheep-pen.’
1723 S.S.S.. Reg. Deeds 37.
Probably a fair held here at one time. In Fildraw.
Flat, The.
Translation of Manx jaaigh, ‘a field near the farm-house.’ On Ballavoddan.
Fildraw [].
1666 Man. Roll. ffildraw. 1723 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds 37.
Ir. Pal an t-sratha, ‘the fence of the holm.’ Fál, a fence dividing two estates, and sometimes the land enclosed by the fence. Srath, a holm, or meadowland beside a river, sometimes liable to be inundated On the W. bank of the Awin Ruy. Ab. F.
Four Nobles.
1703 Man. Roll.
This piece of land to the west of the Granite Mountain was held by the Abbot of Rushen, his yearly rental to the Lord being ‘four nobles’ 26/8.
Garland Hill.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Garey, ‘a garden,’ or garee, ‘a river-shrubbery.
Probably from Scand. gata, ‘a road, way,’ etc.
Gelling Beg’s Croft.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Little Gelling’s croft.’
Gibdale []
1703 Man. Roll. Gibdale.
173’1- Dioc. Reg. Jibdel.
1736 ,, ,, Jeebdyl.
S. Djúpdalr, ‘deep glen.’
Glashen [].
1643 Man. Roll. Glashin.
Ir. glaisín, ‘a streamlet.’
This stream, which flows through the estate bearing the name, is a tributary of the Silverburn. Ab. F.
Glion Cam [].
‘Winding glen.’
Goayr, The [].
‘The goat,’ (rock).
Godred Cronan’s Stone.
A large granite boulder, which formerly stood in the Awin Ruy. For legend connected therewith, v. Moore’s Folklore,’ p. 27.
Granite Mountain.
v. Rozefel.
Grave Gullet.
On Langness : Probably records a shipwreck.
Greathill, The.
1703 Man. Roll.
Great Meadow.
c. 1257 Chron. Mann. Pratum Monachorum.
1539 Comp.Abb.Dem.Lands LeGrete Medowe.
The early form means ‘the meadow of the monks.’
Grenaby [].
1511 Man. Roll. Grenby.
1643 ,, ,, Greneby.
S. Grænbyr, ‘green farm.’
Grete Barleyfold (and Littell).
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Grete Close.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Guley Feld.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
‘Gully field.’
Gullet Chreagh Moainee [].
‘Inlet of the turf-stack.’
Gullet Buigh [].
‘Yellow inlet.’ From Eng. gullet, ‘a throat. Used in this parish in place-names with the meaning of an ‘inlet or creek.’ In Kirk Christ the usual word is giau,q.v.
Gullet ny Guiy [].
‘Inlet of the geese‘ ; probably wild geese.
Halsall’s Hill (Croft and Land).
1611 Lib. Mon. John Halsall.
1703 Man. Roll. Halsall’s Hill.
Ab. D.
Hango Broogh [].
Ir. bruach, Mx. broogh, ‘a brink.’ This place may have been used as a place of execution, similar to Hango Hill, q.v.
Hango Hill [].
1640 Dioc. Reg. Angohil.
S. Hangahóll, ‘hill of hanging,’ v. Croak y croghee, in Kirk Michael. The last person to be executed here was William Christian (Illiam Dhône), Receiver-General, in 1663. Ab. F.
Head Gullet.
‘Inlet of the head (land).’
Hentra, Hentrae.
c. 1316 Chron.Mann.
Scand. Henatröð, ‘Heni’s cattle-pasture.’ One of the Abbey Land boundaries.
Hole, The.
A peculiar crater-like hole in the rocks near Castletown. Probably a translation of Mx. towl, Ir. toll.
‘Islet croft.’ Modern.
Horse Close, Le.
1539 Comp. Abh. Dem.
Horse Gullet.
Hungry Field.
Katherine’s Close.
1703 Man. Roll. Kathrine Parker.
This lady was one of the Stanleys, and the wife of Christopher Parker, who was Receiver-General in 1703.
Keeill Pharlane []
Ir. Cill Phartholáin, ‘St.Partholan, or Bartholomew’s, Church. ‘ Now disappeared.
Kerrookeil []
1643 Man. Roll. Kerrow Keale.
Mx. Kerroo keyl, Ir. Ceathrarnha caol ‘narrow quarterland.’
Kerrow Barroole.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Barrule quarterland.’ Now Ballagilbert, q.v.
Kerrow Renny.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Kerroo Rhennee, ‘ferny quarter.’
King William’s College.
Founded in 1830, and named after William IV.
Kirk Michell, Treen.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Kirkemychel.
1511 Man. Roll. Kyrkemychell.
1703 ,, ,, Kirk Michell.
A little church here dedicated to St. Michael. In the Chronicle of Mann this treen bears the alternative designation of Villa Thorkel, Thorkel’s farm.’
Knock Dow Moore.
‘Great black hill.’ v. Black Hill. Ab. F.
Knock e Vriew []
1703 Man. Roll. Knock Brew.
Ir. Cnoc Ui Brughadha, ‘O’Brew’s hill.’ This name became Mac Brew in Mann, and now Brew. Nycholas Brew was a tenant in the Abbey Lands of Malew in 1611. Ab.F.
Knock Rushen [].
‘Rushen hill' Name of tumulus and farm.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Meaning obscure. Perhaps ‘Creggans’ q.v.
Land at McTeare’s.
1703 Man. Roll.
Langness [].
1595 Durham. Lang Nouse.
1643 Man. Roll. Langnose.
This name is either derived from Norse or Old Eng., but the earlier forms point to the latter. There are many Old Eng. names in this parish. v. Rushen Shdg.
Lawn Street.
1703 Man. Roll.
In Castletown.
Leany Totaby.
‘Tosaby meadow.’ v. Tosaby.
Leany Keale.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Narrow meadow.’
Leany Stren.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Lheeannee streen, ‘meadow of strife.’ This meadow is near the Whallag, q.v., and to judge from its name, was the cause of the dispute which was probably settled by the Setting Quest.
Leany Vark.
1703 Man. Roll.
‘Mark’s meadow.’
Lea’s Closes.
1611 Lib. Mon. Thomas Lea.
1703 Man. Roll. Lea’s Closes.
Ab. D.
Le lawe gayse.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Norm. art. le, ‘the ;Old. Eng. Maw, ‘a hill.’ Meaning of gayse obscure, probably miscopied.
Lhergey, The.
‘The hillside, or slope,’
Lhing y Vaarlee [].
‘The robber’s pool.’ There are two fields of this name on Ballavoddan, ‘near’ and ‘far.’ This farm is on the Silverburn river.
Lond Folds, Le.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Lough, Treen.
1511 Man. Roll. Logh.
1703 ,, ,, Lough.
Ir. loch, ‘a lake or firth.’ The inlet of Cass ny hawin, which is the largest firth on the Island.
Lough Skillicore [].
Ir. sceilig; ‘a rock.’ ‘Rocky firth.’
Magher e Quayle [].
‘Quayle’s field.’ Scarlett.
McGawne’s Croft.
1703 Man. Roll.
Manowle [].
1703 Man. Roll. Manowle.
1867 Wood’s Atlas. Monowle.
S. Manafjall, ‘Mani’s hill.’ v. Tosaby.
Martha Gullet.
Probably records a shipwreck. Langness.
Maugher More.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Magher mooar, ‘great field.’
McTaggart’s Garden.
1703 Man. Roll.
Eng. Self explanatory.
Mill Street.
1728 S.S.S. Reg. Deeds 64. Miln Street.
This street leads to a corn-mill, which still exists.
In Castletown.
Moaney Mooar.
1643 Man. Roll. Mony More.
‘Big turbary.’
Monasterium Sancti Leoc, Lat.
1153 Bull of Pope Eugenius III. to Furness Abbey.
‘The Monastery of St. Leoc,’ or rather ‘Luoc.’ Probably an earlier dedication of Rushen Abbey or part thereof to St. Lua, to whom the parish is also dedicated.
Money ne moddey.
1703 Man. Roll.
Mx. Moanee ny moddey, ‘marsh (turbary, etc.) of the dogs.’ Moddey-oayldey, ‘wild-dog,’ is the usual Manx name for a wolf, and it is possible that this is the meaning in some Manx names. We have no records of any wolves in Mann, but it is not two centuries since the last wolf was exterminated in Ireland.
Moor’s Close.
1703 Man. Roll. Chas. Moore,
Mouru, Muru.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann.
Ir. An abh ruadh, ‘the ruddy river.’ This river still bears the same name, but in a more modernized form. v. Awin Ruy. Mouru for Nouru is a scribal error.
Mullenaragher [].
1703 Man. Roll. Mullen Argher.
,, ,, Mary ffargher.
Mx. Mwyllin Aragher, Ir. Muillen Fhearghoir, ‘Fargher’s mill.’
Nuttfold, Le.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Orrisdale [].
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Herynstaze.
1640 Dioc. Reg. Eristole.
1666 Man. Roll. Oristall.
1675 Dioc. Reg. Aristall.
183] Manx Sun. Harrisdale.
S. Hæringsstaðr, ‘Haering’s farm.’ Containing lost surname. Ab. F.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann.
S. Uxahreysar, ‘cairn of the oxen.’ This appears to have been the more ancient name of Ballanicholas, (q.v.) and probably was named after the so called ‘fort’ on the latter farm.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann.
S. Uxavað, ‘ox ford.’ This ford was somewhere near the Silverburn Bridge.
1703 Man. Roll, Paradice,
A croft in Castletown. The adjoining lane still retains the name. Said to have taken its name from a family named Saint whose property it once was.
Pickard’s Closes.
1643. Man. Roll. Wm. Pickard.
Poyll Breinn [].
‘Stinking (stagnant) pool.’
Racecourse, The.
A record in the Rolls Office states that James, 7th Earl of Derby, gave a cup to be run for at the races here celebrated. This cup is still in the possession of the Earl of Derby.
Raggey [].
1703 Man. Roll. Rackey Croft.
This is obscure. Perhaps from S. Rák, meaning ‘a path for cattle.’
Reash [].
1703 Man. Roll. Reast.
Mx. Reeast, Ir. Riasg, ‘a moor.’ From the locative form reaisht (Ir. reisg).
Red Gap.
1703 Man. Roll. Red Gapp.
Owing to Castletown being the seat of government for a long period, many English place-names are found in Malew. The name was possibly a translation of its Gaelic equivalent baarney jiarg. The farm is situated on the old road which leads to Kirk Arbory.
1703 Man. Roll.
Eng Self explanatory.
Renshent [].
1666 Man. Roll. Renshante.
Mx. Rheynn sheaynt, Ir. Roinn séanta, ‘blest division.’ Ab. F. Site of an ancient church here.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem. Lands.
Mx. Rheynn Hullad, ‘owl’s division.’ Hullad the usual Manx name of the owl species is a loan-word from Lancashire.
Ronaldsway [:].
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Rognalswath, Ronalswath.
1537 Furn. Abb. Rev. Ronatswathe.
1595 Durham. Ramsway.
1643 Man. Roll. Ranoldsway.
1649 Furn. Abb. Rev Rongstworth. Manx form. Roonysvie, Runnysvie, [].
S. Rõgnvaldsvað, ‘Reginald’s ford.’ There were several Manx kings of this name. Here va~’i must have referred to the tarbert across the neck of Langness, where the boats were dragged over to the other side of the peninsula.
Modern. ‘Ronald’s stream.’ v. Ronaldsway.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann.
S. Rjoðfjall, ‘ruddy mountain.’ This is the old Norse name of the Granite Mountain, and takes its name from the colour of the granite when weathered. v. Mouru.
Sandwick [].
S. Sandvik, ‘sandy creek.’
Sandwick Boe.
‘Tidal rock of S.’
Scarlett [].
1511 Man. Roll. Scarclowte.
1595 Durham. Scarthlet.
1643, 1703 Man. Roll. Scarlott.
Manx form. Scarleod [skarljo:d].
S. Skarfakiuft, ‘cormorant’s cleft.’
‘Flie obscure name of a creek on Langness.
Seal Rock
Probably a translation of Manx Creg y raun.
Shenvalley [].
‘Old farm.’ Ab~ F.
Silverburn [].
1666 Man. Roll Silverburne
‘Silver stream.’ This river is called Awin Argid, ‘silver river’ in Manx, but this is probably a modern Gaelic rendering of its present name. v. Ballasalla. Ab. F.
Sixpenny Croft.
1703 Man. Roll.
Skerranes, The [].
Mx. Ny Skerraneyn. A Gaelicized diminutive of Scand. sker, ‘a rock,’ i,e. ‘the little rocks.’
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Skibrick [].
1539 Rush. Abb. Comp. Skiprig.
1660 Man. Roll. Skibrick.
1703 ,, ,,
S. Skiphryggr, ‘ship ridge.’ Mr. P. G. Ralfe conjectures that this ridge was so called from its resemblance to a ship turned upside down. On Ord. Sur. Map Skybright. Ab. D.
Spire Gullet.
Opposite the Spire (on Langness), a tower formerly used as a landmark before the lighthouse was built.
Stack of Scarlett, The.
v. ‘Stack’ elsewhere, and Scarlett.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann.
S. Steinarhagi, ‘stony pasture land.’ The ancient name of the district around Ballamodda.
St. Mark’s.
There was an ancient church here, close to the site of the present one, which was probably dedicated to St. Mark. There was a fair held at St. Mark’s on May 12, of which we have a record for the year 1741, twelve years prior to the alteration of the Calendar and which, therefore, could not have been a dedication to the Celtic summer festival of Beltane. In the Calendar ofÆngus, we find that there was a feast held in honour of St. Mark on May 18, and the fair, held at St. Mark’s on May 12, was almost certainly originally held in honour of the patron saint of the little church which has now disappeared. The record of the consecration of St. Mark’s Church in 1772 states that fairs were held on the ancient fair-ground long before the church was built. There was formerly a fair held at Ballasalla on St. Mark’s Day.
St. Michael’s Island.
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Insular Sancti Michaelis.
1595 Durham St. Mighill’s Island.
1648 Blundell. St. Michael’s Island.
We do not find its Gaelic name, but the Latin is probably a translation of Inis Michil,’the Isle of Michael.’ In Gaelic names of places dedicated to saints, the name ‘saint’ (naomh) is usually omitted.
This island is now often called ‘Fort Island,’ after the fort built thereon by James, 7th Earl of Derby, and Lord of Mann.
1539 Rush. Abb. Comp. Stokfeld.
1703 Man. Roll. Stockfield.
S. Stokafjail, ‘trunk (log or block) hill.’ Where the trees have been cut down and the stumps left remaining in the ground. It is possible, however, that this name may be derived from Old Eng. Stocfeld, the meaning being practically the same. Ab. F.
Symound’s Grounde.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
Tarrastack [Rock].
S. Tharastakkr, ‘sea-weed stack.’ (Rock name).
Thallow Gart.
1869 High. Acc.
Mx. Thalloo gort, ‘stale, or sour, land,’ adj. Great Meadow.
Tobacco Gullet.
Tonvane [too:n væ:n].
1703 Man. Roll. Ton vane.
1867 Wood’s Atlas. Thon vane.
1912 Brown’s Direct. Ton bane.
Mx. Toinn Vane, Ir. Tóin bhán, ‘white bottom (land).’ (Lat. podex). v. Joyce’s ‘Place-Names,’ Vol. I, p. 525.
Ab. F.
Tosaby Treen [].
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Totmanby.
1511 Man. Roll. Totnamby.
1640 Dioc. Reg. Totaby.
1643 Man. Roll. Totnemby.
1800 ,, ,, Totaby.
S. Toft+ Manabyr, ‘the knoll of Mani’s farm.’ Toft is here prefixed, showing Gaelic influence.
Towl Foggy [t]
The name of a cave at Perwick. The meaning is obscure. It may be Towly phoagee, ‘the hole of the bag.’ It is also possible that the Irish Pooka (púca) is contained in the name, although he is not met with in Manx legend. This merry and oftimes malignant fairy has bequeathed his name to many wild lonely dells, caves, chasms in rocks on the seashore, or pools in deep glens in Ireland. He bears a striking resemblance to the Manx Phynnoderee,
Usta mahallow.
1703 Man. Roll,
Mx. Ushtey mie-halloo, ‘water of the good land.’ This may have been applied to a stream or well. It appears to have been in the vicinity of the Silverburn farm.
Villa Melan magni, Lat.
1153 Bull of Pope Eugenius III. to Furn. Abb. Ir. Muilenn, ‘the farm of the great mill.’ Probably either the Rushen Abbey corn-mill or Castletown mill.
Villa Narwe Stainredale
1153 Bull of Pope Eugenius III.
Lat. Villa, ‘estate’ ; Scand, Nat-/I, pers. name Scand. Steinardalr, ‘stony glen or dale.’ i.e. ‘the estate of Narfi [in] Stainredale.’ Probably the latter was the ancient name of the Silverburn Glen.
Villa Thorkel.
v. Kirk Michell.
Villa Thore filii Asser, Lat.
1153 Bull of Pope Eugenius III. to Furn. Abb.
It is probable that Thore the son of Asser is identifiable with Thorfin the son of Oter mentioned in the Chronicle of Mann. He was a famous chieftain of the Isles in the 12th century. It is now impossible to identify the site of this estate, but it was probably in the Parish of Malew.
Walter Miller’s Land.
1703 Man. Roll.
v. Barrule.
Water Street.
1703 Man. Roll.
In Castletown. Probably now Hope Street. [No it was a small lane now replaced by Bank Street]
West Croft.
1703 Man. Roll.
West Street.
1703 Man. Roll.
In Castletown. Probably now Arbory Street.
Whallag [].
1703 Man. Roll. ‘The Court.’
Mx. Yn whaiylag, ‘the little court.’ Probably records a dispute between adjoining landholders, when the ‘Setting Quest’ would be called in. They were called the Bing Veg, (little jury) in Manx, and consisted of four of the lord’s tenants in each parish. v. Leany Streu.
Whinny Close.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.
White Stones.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem. White Stone (le).
No history. It is possible that there was some connection between this name and the surname Whetstone, once common in this neighbourhood. The White Stone Inn (Ballasalla) may record this name.
v. Ballawhetston. Ab. F.
1539 Comp. Abb. Dem.

  Back index next Malew

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000