[from Manx Place-names, 1925]

Parish of (Kirk Patrick) Jurby.

1291 Rot. Scotiae Ecclesia Sancti Patricii de Dureby
1505 Bp's Charter Santa Patricius de Jourby
1648 Blundell Kirk Patrick of Jurby
Manx Skyll (Parick) Yurby  

THE church and parish are dedicated to St. Patrick, the Apostle of Ireland. The patronal fair was held on April 5th, the anniversary of St. Patrick's first baptism in Ireland. In the Calendar of AEngus, under date April 5th, we find : Baithes patraic primda .i. sinell mac findchada dohuib garrchon ise cëtduine robaist patraic inherinn he, "Excellent Patrick's baptism i.e. Sinell son of Finchad of the Ui-Garrchon, he is the first person whom Patrick baptised in Ireland." A fair was held at Kirk Patrick (of the Peel) on March 17th, the anniversary of Patrick's death. As April 5th was also the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin (in Manx Laa'l Moirrey ny Sansh) the fair in later times would naturally become associated with that saint.

The church and churchyard stand on an ancient pagan burial site,as probably most of the Manx churches and keeills do. A tumulus in the churchyard has been used for modern burials.

The parish of Jurby is bounded on the N. by Kirk Andreas and the sea, on the S. by Ballaugh, on the E. by Kirk Andreas and Kirk Christ Lezayre, and on the W. by the sea. It is about five miles long from east to west, and two miles broad from north to south. The area of the parish is 4721.069 acres. Jurby is almost insulated by the Lhane river and the Killane river, and in early times this was probably more so than it is at present. The Bishop of Sodor and Mann held extensive lands in this parish also.

v. Derivation of Jurby under names.


Ashenmoar .
1643 Man. Roll
Adding Moore
'Great gorsey place.' (Mx. aittin).
Ballacain .
1515 Man. Roll Rich. McCane
1643 Will. Caine
1703 Pat. Kane „ „ Ballacaine 'McCane or Cain's farm.'
Ballachrink .
'Hill farm.' Anciently Knockadowan. Particle.
Ballachristory .
1580 Lib. Episc. Mrke Christry
„ ,, ,, Ballachristry 'Christry's farm,' (Mac Cripstóra).
Bishop's Barony.
Ballachurry .
'Miry farm.'
1515 Man. Roll John McConoly
1643-1703 „ Wm. Connoly
'Conley's farm.' (Ir. Mac Coanlaodha). Particle.
Ballacry .
'Cry's farm.'
Ballaghaie .
1587 Lib. Episc. Ballageij
1749 Dioc. Reg. Balla ghay
'Gay's farm.' Obsolete surname. (Ir. Mac Giolla Dht). Bishop's Barony.
1600 Lib. Episc. Ballagarraghyn
1749 Dioc. Reg. Ballagarrahehyn
'Garraghyn's farm.' (Ir. Mag Arachain). Lost surname. Bishop's Barony.
1703 Man. Roll idem.
Contains a lost surname which is obscure. Probably an Irish 'O' name.
There is a place called Asnagh, near Granard, Long-ford, Ireland ; which Joyce (Irish Names of Places, Vol. 111,p.51) derives from Easnach(Mx. asnagh), ribbed or furrowed land, from the ridges left after ploughing.
Manx name of Ballasalla, by which part of the estate is still known. v. Ballasalla in this parish and also in Kirk Malew.
1515 Man. Roll Patrick McNele
1643 Ballakneale
'Kneale or McNele's farm.' (Ir. Mac Nëill).
Ballameanagh .
1643 Man. Roll Ballamanaugh 'Middle farm.'
Ballamoar .
1643 Man. Roll Ballamoar
1663 Manx Soc. XIV. Ballamore
'Great farm.' In names containing -moar as their second element, there is always a possibility of the surname Moore being involved. This surname is found in Ballaugh in 1515.
Ballaquane's Close.
1703 Man. Roll
v. Ballaquane in Kk. German. 1703 "John Brew of Ballaquane."
Ballaquirk .
1643 Man. Roll idem
'Quirk's farm.' (Ir. Mac Cuirc).
Ballasalla .
1643 Man. Roll Ballasally
'Farm of sallies or willows.' (Mx. shellagh).
Ballateare .
1515 Man. Roll John McTeare
1643 John Teare
1703 John Tear
'Teare or McTere's farm.' (Ir. Mac an tSaoir).
Ballavarran .
1515 Man. Roll Donald O'Barron
1643 ,, Ballavarran
'O'Barron's farm.' (Ir. O Beardin).
1515 Man. Roll Gilchrist McGilvorr
1643 ,, ,, Wm. Mollavory
1703 John Mollavorey
'McGilvory's farm.' (Ir. Mae Giolla Mhuire). This surname is now usually translated Morrison.
Ballig [].
1583 Lib. Episc. Ballalig
'Farm of the hollow.' Bishop's Barony.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Bayr ny creggey, 'road of the rock.'
Berag .
1643 Man. Roll
Scand. By-ragi,'Ragi's farm.' v. General Introduction p. xviii.
Bishop's Barony.
Consisting of :-Ballig, Ballachristory, Kerroocroie, Rhendhoo, Bretney, Ballaghaie, Ballagharraghan, Cooilldhoo, Lougheroute and Loughan.
Bolly Quiddy
1703 Man. Roll
'Quiddy or Cuddy's fold.' (Ir. O Cuidighthigh). Obsolete surname.
Bretney .
1587 Lib. Episc. Bretney
Ir. breac, briot or brest, 'speckled.' Breatnaigh or Breatnaigh, locative forms of Breacnach, Breatnach, 'speckled land.' Bishop's Barony.
Cashtal Lough .
1882 Brown's Dir. Castle Lake
'Castle of the lake.' The modern name of a small estate in the Curragh. There was a cairn here which may have been known as the 'Castle.'
Close Craine.
1703 Man. Roll
'Craine's close.'
Close Kelly.
'Kelly's close.'
Close Keppaugh.
1643 Man. Roll
Ir. Ceapach,'a tillage plot.'
Close Killip.
1703 Man. Roll
'Killip's close.' (Ir. Mac Fhilib). In Man. Roll of 1511-15 this surname is McKillip.
Close Sartfield.
1703 Man. Roll v. Sartfield.
Cooill dhoo. .
1587 Lib. Episc. Cooil Doo
1703 Man. Roll. Quoole Dow
'Black nook or corner.' Bishop's Barony.
1703 Man. Roll
Ir. Cor an Add, 'little hill of the hedge.'
Cronk Breck.
1703 Man. Roll Knockbreck
'Speckled hill.'
Cronk keilleig.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map
Probably this should be Cronk Killane. It is on the old quarterland of Kerlane - now Ballateare - and on the N. bank of the Killane river.
Cronk Mooar .
1627 C.R.P. Knockemore
1643 Man. Roll Knockmore
'Great hill.' Where the night watch was kept for the parish of Jurby.
Cronk Mwyllin.
1870 Ord. Sur. Map
This is the name of a tumulus, and it is very unlikely that either a water-mill or wind-mill ever existed here, as suggested by the Ord. Sur. spelling. The second element is probably an obsolete surname such as Mullen (Ir. O'Maoldin). 'Mullen's hill.' There was a family named McMoleyn in Castletown in 1511.
Cronk ny Arrey Lhaa .
'Hill of the day-watch.' A tumulus. v. idem in Kirk Christ Rushen.
Cronk y Cliwe .
'Hill of the sword.'
Cronk y Scottey .
`The Scot's hill.' On coast. Probably a legend.
Cronk y vargee.
'Hill of the market or fair.' Nr. Keeill Coonlagh.
Crot ne bunt.
1703 Man. Roll
'Croft of the end.' Bun with ending in -d, colloquially -t.
Crot ne cleay.
1703 Man. Roll
'Croft of the hedge or fence.'
Crott a Lough.
1703 Man. Roll 'Croft of the lake.'
Crott e Keeg.
1703 Man. Roll ' Keig's croft.'
1703 Man. Roll ' Keggin's croft.'
Crott e vore.
1703 Man. Roll ' Moore's croft.'
Dalliot, Treen. Lost.
1515 Man. Roll Dalyott
1643, 1703 ,, Dalliot
Scand. Dalljotr, 'Ljótr's glen.' A name of the same complexion as Billown, in Kirk Malew, q.v. The sur-name MacCorleot, now Corlett, from MacThórljót, was common in Kirk Christ Lezayre in 1515.
Ellen Attin or Nellan Attin.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Yn ellan aittin, 'the gorse island.'
Ellan a Cay.
1736 Dioc. Reg. 'Kay's farm.'
1703 Man. Roll
1768 Manx Soc. XIV Golane
1791 Comm. Rep. Gollean 'A pillar-stone' (Ir. galldn).
Jurby [].
"Ingimarr, contracted into Ingvar and Ivar, possibly occurs in jurby. 'Ivar's farm.' This derivation is suggested by Worsaae in his Danes and Northmen. The knight Ivar was killed in 1275 at the Battle of Ronalds way."-Mx. Names, p. 212. The Scand. Dyrabyr, 'beasts or animals homestead.' is also possible here, as suggested by Mr. Moore.
Keeill Coonlagh.
'Conley or Connoly's church.' An ancient church which stood on Ballaconley, q.v.
1587 Lib. Episc. Kerroo Creij
'Cry or McCry's quarterland.' There were several families of this name in the parish in 1515.
Bishop's Barony.
Killane River.
1761 Dioc. Reg.
1515 Man. Roll Carlan [mill of]
1643 ,, ,, Kerlane
Scand. Kjarrland, 'brushwood land.' This was the name of the land on the north and south banks of the Killane River, near the coast, and which was probably marshy and overgrown with brush-wood in early times.
1703 Man. Roll
'Hill of the dun or fort.' There is a tumulus on this farm. Now Ballachrink. Particle.
It may also be noted that a family named Dowan held part of the quarterland of Ballakey in Kirk Andreas in 1703.
Knock Shavell, Treen.
1515 Man. Roll Knok Sewell
1643 ,, ,, Knock Shewell
1703 ,, ,, „ Shavell
'Hill of the chapel.' Mx. shapel ; Ir. seipeal
St. Keyl's Chapel, q.v., and the parish church of St. Patrick are in this treen.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Cooill lhiabbee, 'corner of the tomb;' lit. 'a bed,' but used in the former sense in place-names.
Leanny Gollane.
1703 Man. Roll
'Meadow of the Golane,' q.v.
Leany Kaye.
1736 Dioc. Reg.
'Kaye's meadow.'
Leany Vark.
1643 Man. Roll
'Mark's meadow.'
Le Sulby, Treen.
1515 Man. Roll Le Soulby
1643 ,, Lez Sulby
'The Sulby.' v. Sulby in Kirk Christ Lezayre. There is a tradition that a branch of the Sulby river at one time turned N.W., discharging its waters into the Curragh and causing innumerable lakes and small islands ; it then drained into the Lhen river. The name of this treen on the bank of the Lhen (v. map) supports the tradition.
Loghan y shuin.
'Pond of the rushes.'
Loughan .
1580 Lib. Episc. Loughan y vaatey or voadey
1747 Dioc. Reg. Loughan Voady
Mx. Loghan y vaatey, `pond of the boat.' Bishop's Barony.
1703 Man. Roll Lougherout
'Route's lake.' Obsolete surname. Ir. Rut, anglicized Route, Routh, etc., from Norse Hrutr. Bishop's Barony.
Moughton s Close.
1703 Man. Roll Jony Moughton.
1703 Man. Roll.
Nappin, (East and West)
1643 Man. Roll Napping
Ir. Cnapdn, 'little round hill.' In treen of Sartfield, q.v.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Yn ellan, the island.'
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Poyll daah, 'dye pool.' A turf-pit where black water was extracted for dyeing purposes.
Reast, The.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Reeast, the moor, waste.'
Rhendhoo .
1580 Lib. Episc. Reindoo
Mx. Rheynn doo, 'black division.' Bishop's Barony.
Sandy Banks.
1703 Man. Roll "Lane Moore intacks."
Sandygate .
Sandy road.' Gat or gate from Scand, gata, 'a road;' must have been a common dialect word in the N. of the Island a century or two ago, as it is frequently met with in place-names.
Sandy Lands.
1703 Man. Roll "Near Lane Moore.'
Sartfell [].
Scand, Svartfjall, 'Black mountain.' v. Slieau Doo. Sartfell Treen. sartfel, loc. sartl].
1515-1643 Man. Roll Sertfell
1703 ,, ,, Sertfield, Sartall
In 1703 Sertfield mooar and beg.
Shian valley
1757 Dioc. Reg.
'Old farm.' (Mx. shenn). Clerk's glebe.
Sleckby, Treen.
1515 Man. Roll Slekby
1643-1703 ,, ,, Sleckby
Scand. Slakkabyr, 'slope farm.'
St. Keyl's Cappll
1749 Dioc. Reg.
"Petition to Bp. Wilson of Thos. Clark. Sheweth that John Lace, Wid. Tear, Carlane, John Killip, Phil. Gawn and others have a number of childn that is nothing but trouble and grief to them, being ruined for want of schooling and education. Altho' yr petr hath small children of his own and his wife and son being desirous and willing that he should keep school at his own house, or in Saint Keyl's Cappll (the which he was at the expense of building for that purpose) till a school-house may be built in a more convenient place, petitioner and ye aforesaid neighbours have agreed provided ye Lord Bishop will be pleased to approve of ye same.
The vicar and others petition the Bishop to grant petitioner a licence."
This chapel was dedicated to the Roman Saint Cecilia whose dedication date was November 22nd, but in Mann she was venerated on November 9th (O.S.). This day was called in Manx Laa'l Kickle, 'Cecilia's feast-day,' and a fair was held annually in the parish of Jurby, which in early times must have been held in close proximity to the Chapel of St. Cecilia. The fair is mentioned by Feltham in 1797, and it did not disappear until after 1834.
It may be noted that Cecilia was pronounced Kikilia in Latin and Irish, and as is usually the case in Manx, the final unstressed vowel dropped away.
The ruins of St. Cecilia's Chapel, now under the care of the Ancient Monuments Trustees, may be seen on the estate of W. Nappin, a little south of the parish church.
The usage of this chapel as a school house in the 18th century has probably been instrumental in saving it from destruction.
White House.
1883 Thie Vane


Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2001