[from Manx Place-names, 1925]

Parish of Kirk German.


1231 Bull Pope Gregory IX Ecclesia Cathedralis Sancti Carmani.
C. 1376 Chron. Mann. Ecciesia Germani.
,, ,, Eccies. Scti. Germani in Insula de Holm.
,, ,, Eccles. Cathedralis Scti. Gerrmani in Mannia in Holm
1505 Chart. B’pric. Mann. Eccles. Cathedralis Scti. Germani.
1515 Man. Roll Parochia Scti. Germani.
1592 Lib. Bangor et Sabal Kirke Garman.
1637 Dioc. Reg. ,,
1643,1703 Man. Roll Kirk German.
1648 Blundell ,,
1710 Dioc. Comm. Book Ecciesia Scti. Germani.
  Manx Skyll Charmane.

THE saint to whom this church was probably dedicated was German Mac Guill, ‘German, son of Goll,' an Irish saint mentioned under the date July 30th, in the Martyrology of Donegal. In the Roman martyrologies, Germanus, Bishop of Auxerre, is also commemorated on this day. As early as the middle of the 13th century, we find the Irish saint displaced and the Roman one substituted. The remarkable resemblance, both in name and dedication date, would easily account for this. A Bull of Pope Gregory IX addressed to Bishop Simon in 1231 is dated 30th July, which would be intentionally written on Saint German of Auxerre's dedication date rather than St. German Mac Guill's, and the former saint was evidently recognised at the Vatican as the patron saint of the Cathedral Church of St. German on St. Patrick's Isle at that date.

The saint was called Noo Carmane in Manx, and he was honoured on the 13th July, Laa'l Carmane, ‘St. German's Festival Day.' It must be borne in mind that both in the Irish and Roman names, the g was pronounced like g in ‘get,' and not g in ‘gem,' and the Manx Carmane represents approximately its Gaelic pronunciation. The patronal fair was held on St. German's Day, July 13th, which was altered to July 24th on the N.S. Calendar. We have early records of the fair for 1737 and 1755, and it is mentioned by Feltham in 1797.

The ancient parish church was probably on the site now occupied by the ruins of St. German's Cathedral. Sometime previous to the Reformation— we have no record of the exact date, but the presence of a piscina seems to justify this conclusion — a parish church was built in Peel, but dedicated to St. Peter (June 29th), he being the most important Biblical saint whose dedication date approximated to that of St. German. As St. German's Cathedral was then still in use — although under the Derby regime access to the latter, as well as to St. Patrick's Church, became increasingly more difficult—although no longer as a parish church, the need of dedicating the new parish church to another saint will be apparent. Until about the beginning of the 18th century the Church of St. Peter had to do duty as a parish church for both Kirk German and Kirk Patrick, and one priest officiated for both parishes.

The Abbot of Rushen held extensive lands in this parish, amounting to thirteen quarterlands. The parish also contains part of the Barony of St. Trinian's, which was held by the Prior of Whithorn in Galloway (v. Introduction to Kirk Patrick). The Bishop also held lands here, and one name—mentioned in a Bull of Pope Gregory IX in 1231—is of extreme interest : ‘The land of the staff of St. Patrick,' which see discussed under Ballaterson.

The area of Kirk German is 11678.560 acres. The parish is bounded on the north by Kirk Michael, on the south by Kirk Patrick and Kirk Marown, on the east by Kirk Braddan, and on the west by the sea. The town of Peel and the village of St. John's are in this parish. in the latter village stands Tynwald Hill, where from remote times the people have assembled at Midsummer to hear the laws promulgated.


Abbey Lands.
The abbey lands of Kirk German consist of: Lhergy Dhoo, Knocksharry, Ballavaish, Ballacross, Ballaquane and Ballagyr.
Abbey Mill.
Held by the abbot of Rushen. Somewhere in the vicinity of the present Brick Works, this land being still known as the Abbey. In the Man. Roll of 1515 we find the following entry : "From the Monastery of Rushen for the run of water to their well per annum as in the preceding 3s. 4d."
Airyrhody, Treen.
1515 Man. Roll Aryrody
1703 ,, ,, Airyrhody
Ir. Airigh Ui Rodaigh, ‘O'Rody's shieling.' Obsolete surname.
Aittnagh [].
1867 Wood Atchnach
1882 Brown's Dir. Atnaugh
‘Place of gorse.'
Alia Gnebe, Treen.
1515 Man. Roll
v. Greeba.
Altar y jouyl.
‘The Devil's altar.' Large white quartz boulder at Lhergy Doo.
Ashton's Fort.
"On Peel Hill, opposite the Castle. Built in 1648 on the advice of Sir Arthur Ashton to stop any relief that might be brought by boats in case the castle should either rebel or be besieged."—J.J. J0UGHIN.
Astravagan [].
On Knock Sharry quarterland. A house and a few fields above Lhergy Dhoo.
Ballabuigh [].
1666 Man. Roll Ballaboij
1703 ,, ,, Ballaboy
1780 Par. Reg. Ballaboey
‘McBoy's farm.' This family had removed to the adjoining parish of Kirk Michael in ~
(Ir. Mac Giolla bhuidhe). Ab. L.
Ballachrink [].
1643 Man. Roll Ballacronck
1793 Par. Reg. Ballacrink
‘Hill farm.'
Ballacraine [].
1515 Man. Roll Rich. McCrayne in adj. treen
1703 ,, ,, Gilb. Craine
‘Craine's farm.' (Ir. Mac Giolla Chiara'in).
1643 Man. Roll Bàllacrank
1689 C.R.P. Balla knuck~
Mx. Balley crank, (Ir. cnag, ‘a knob') ‘farm of the knob (of rock).' The Gaelic name of Skeristal.
Anciently part of treen of Scaresdaile, q.v.
Ballacross [].
1579 Lib. Episc. John Crosse
1643 Man. Roll Michael Cross
1703 ,, ,, Silvester Cross
‘Cross's farm.' Ab. L.
Ballacurry [].
1703 Man. Roll Wm. Kelly Currey
‘, ,‘ ,‘ Balla hurrey
1764 Manx Soc. XIV. Ballacurrey ‘Marsh farm.'
1867 Wood
Mx. Balley cooyrtney, ‘farm of the court.' From an earthwork here called the Court. The second element may be also derived from an obsolete surname, Court-ney, which assumes various forms in Irish.
Balladoyne. Treen.
1526 Man. Roll Balydoyne
1643 ,, ,, Balladoyne
1703 ,, ,, Balla Weene
‘Doyne's farm.' (Ir. Dubhdn or O'Dubhdin). This surname became Quane later, by the substitution of mac for o, V. Ballaquane. One of the quarterlands in 1703 was Balla Weene (bal~w~n), which was an aspir. ated form. This surname becomes Doyne, Dowan, Dwane, etc., in Ireland.
Ballagarraghyn, Treen [].
1526 Man. Roll Balydorgan
1643 ,, ,, Balladoraughan
1703 ,, ,, Balla Gharrahen
‘Dorgan or O'Dorgan's farm' (Ir. O'Dorcháin), Lost surname. The metamorphosis of Dorgan or Doraughan into Garraghyn suggests that mac had replaced o before the name disappeared.
Ballaelletson [] .
1579 Lib. Episc. Henry Elletsonne
1666 Man. Roll Margt. Elletson
‘Elletson's farm.' Ab. L.
Ballagyr [].
1643 Man. Roll Ballagirr
Mx. Balley giare, ‘short farm.' Ab. L.
Ballaharra [].
1643, 1703 Man. Roll Bailnahorra, Ballahorra
174' Dioc. Reg. Ballnaharrow
The meaning of harra or horra is doubtful. It may be from eirbhe, ‘a wall of turf and stones ;‘ O.Ir. airbe, ‘a fence' (primarily ‘ribs'). Prof. Watson says that at Aitnaharra in Sutherland there is an old wall going across moor and hill. If there ever was an earthwork of this description at Ballaharra, it has now disappeared.
An obsolete surname O Harra (Ir. O h Eaghra or O h Eadhra) might also be considered here.
Ballajarge [].
1643 Man. Roll Ballajarg
Mx. Balley jiarg, ‘red farm.' Ab. L.
1515 Man. Roll Rich. McCaghen
1643 ,, ,, Robt. Kaighen
‘Kaighen's farm.' [Ir. Mac Eachdin].
Ballakilley [].
1643 Man. Roll Crock ne Killy
‘The farm of the church ;‘ older, ‘the hill of the church.' There is no vestige of an ecclesiastical building here now.
Ballakillworrey [] . Bishop's Barony.
1580 Lib. Episc. Ballakilmoiry
1643 Man. Roll Ballakille Mory
1736 Dioc. Reg. Ballakilmurrey
1747 ,, ,, Ballakilimoury
‘Farm of the church of Mary.' v. Keeill Moirrey.
Ballaleece [].
1703 Man. Roll Jo. Leece
1784 Par. Reg. Ballaleece
‘Leece's farm.' (Ir. Mac Giolla losa). In 1703 this quarterland was called Balla Weene. v. Balladoyne treen.
Ballalough []. Particle.
1643 Man. Roll Ballalough
‘Lake farm.' The remains of the lake is still visible.
Balla na haij
1703 Man. Roll Gilb. Craine na haij
Mx. Bailey ny hoaie, ‘farm of the graves.' There was an ancient cemetery here, and probably a church. Now Ballacraine, q.v.
Ballanahoughty [].
1882 Brown's Dir. Ball na hough
Mx. Bailey ny hughtee, ‘farm of the height.'
Ballanayre [].
1666 Man. Roll Ballanare
1703 ,, ,, Balla Naire
Mx. Bailey ‘n aiyi', ‘farm of the grass.' In Irish place-names fér orfeur (Mx. faiyr is often applied to a meadow, a grassy place or lea land. Lissanair in Glare means the ‘fort of the grass or the grassy land.' Ab, L.
Ballaoates [].
1643 Man. Roll Thos. Oates
1703 ,, ,, Ballaoates
‘Oates' farm.' In Ireland ‘Oates' was often a translation of Mac Cuirc, on the assumption that the latter surname stood for Mac Coirce, ‘oats son.' Mx. corkey. In several parishes in Mann we find the two surnames grouped together under circumstances which suggest that Oates and Quirk were regarded as synonymous.'
In 1703 Margaret Oates and John Querk her husband held part of the quarterland of Ballaoates, which was tenanted in 1643 by Thomas Oates. In the Bishop's Barony, parishof Kk. Braddan, two quarterlands adjoin, namely, Ballaoates, and Ballaquirk, and in 1720 these were held respectively by John Otes and John Quirke.
Ballaquane [].
1579 Lib. Episc. Robt Quane
‘Quane's farm.' (Ir. Mac Dhubhdin). v. treen of Balladoyne. Ab. L.
Ballaquine []
1515 Man. Roll Wm. McQuyne
1643 ,, Ballaquine
‘Quine's farm.' FIr. Mac Cuinn].
Ballasale [].
1643 Man. Roll Philip Saile
1703 ,, " Jo
1882 Brown's Dir. Balla Sayle
‘Sayle's farm.' (Ir. Sdl or de Sal, from the Norman ‘de la Sale.')
Ballashimmin [].
1515 Man. Roll Jenken Symyn
1703 ,, " Jo. Shimmin
,‘ ,, ‘, Aryhimyn
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Ballashimmin
1882 Brown's Dir. Eary Himmon
‘Shimmin's farm or shieling.' (Ir. Mac SIornÓin).
Ballaskebag. Treen.
1515 Man. Roll Balykebag
1703 ,, Ballaskebag
Mx. Bailey cabbag, ‘farm of the dock' (weed). (Ir. copÓg).
Ballaspur []
‘Farm of the spur.' A modern name. Anciently part of Ballig. Spur is an Eng. word, although introduced into Ireland very early, as it is found in the Annals of Loch Ce.
Ballaterson Treen. [].
1515 Man. Roll Balytersyn
1703 ,, Ballatersin
‘Farm of the staff, crozier, etc.' It is possible that this was the "Land of the Staff of St.Patrick"mentioned in a Bull of Pope Gregory IX in 1231, as part of the Bishop's barony. Peel, or Holm town as it was then called, is also mentioned as part of the barony. Ballaterson is surrounded by abbeyland and particles.
v. Ballaterson in Maughold
Ballavaish [].
1643 Man Roll Mase More
1787 Dioc. Reg. Ballavaase
The second element is the Irish mas, ‘a thigh;' applied to a long low hill or ridge, which is an exact description of the place in question. The earliest form means the ‘great ridge,' the modern form ‘ridge farm.' It is often simply called ‘the Vaish.'
Ballavarkish [].
1515 Man. Roll Richard McQuerkus
1643 ,, ,, Ballavarkish
1825 Dioc. Reg. Palla Vargis
‘Marcus or McQuerkus' farm.' v. Ballacorkish in Kirk Christ Rushen. In treen of Alia Gnebe
Ballawattleworth []
1703 Man. Roll Casar Wattleworth
‘Wattleworth's farm.' Anciently Close Toalt.
Balla Weene.
1703 Man. Roll Balla Weene
v. Balladoyne. Now Ballaleece.
Ballawyllin [].
1579 Lib. Episc. Henry Byllinge
1703 Man. Roll Ballawillen
‘Byllinge's farm.' Ab. L.
Ballellis [].
1643 Man. Roll Wm. Elletson
1745 Dioc. Reg. Balla Ellys
‘Elletson's farm.'
Balley ny hawin.
1703 Man. Roll Balla Hoane, Ball ne Houne
1740 Dioc. Reg. Ballnehouan
1867 Wood Ballahowin
‘Farm of the river.' Now Laurel Mount, on the W. bank of the Neb.
Ballig [].
1643 Man. Roll Ballalugg
1785 Manx Soc. XIV Ballalig
1787 ,, ,, ‘, Ballidge
‘Farm of the hollow.'
Beary [].
1643 Man. Roll Bery
Scand. Byarg, ‘farm of the shieling.'
By prefixed showing Gaelic influence. v.Introduction. Also, Beary Mountain and Pairk.
Bella Truan or Ballatrowan.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Beeal y trooan, ‘mouth of the stream.' Where a tributary of the Neb enters the latter river at Glen Helen.
Bayr ny maynaghyn [].
Colloquial form for an older Bayr ny maynagh, ‘road of the monks.' The old road passing Manannan's chair, now generally known as the Starvey Road. Tradition says that the monks of Rushen Abbey used this road when proceeding to the Abbey Lands of Lezayre to bring back their rents in kind to the Abbey.
Bayr ny ooylyn.
‘Road of the apples.' The road behind Lhergy Doo.
Bayr Thur [].
‘Road of the bleach-green' (tuar). Near Knocksharry Chapel field ; between White Strand and Knocksharry.
Bill jeig.
Obscure ; the first element may be biliey, ‘a tree.'
The hill going down to Gilnas Mill (Rhenass).
Bill Syl's Meadow.
Near Ballacraine.
Bishop's Barony.
Ballakillmorrey and Ballacurry. The barony in Kirk German was much more extensive in the 13th century.
Blabae River [].
1870 Ord. Sur. Map Blabae River
1906 Mx. Names Awin blaber
Scand. bidber, ‘bleaberry' ; Mx. awin, ‘river' (Manx Names, 2nd ed.)
Boaley Shoagell.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Bwoaiilee shoggyl, ‘rye fold.'
Bollagh [].
1703 Man. Roll Bollough
,, ,, ‘, Jo. Gell a Volly
1734 Manx Soc. XIV Bollagh
‘A path, track, or old road.'
Boll roij.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Boayl ruy, ‘red place.'
Braid [].
‘Gorge.' Ballabuigh.
Breck y Broom [] . Particle.
1702 Man. Roll Brackabrowme
1739 Dioc. Reg. Brack a broon
1741 ,, ,, Bracka brown
1765 Mx. Soc. XIV Brackabroom
1794 C.R.P. Brack Broun
Scand. brekkubrunnr, ‘slope spring or burn.' A small tributary of the Neb has its source here.
Bwoajllee ard heear (and hiar).
‘West (and East) high milking-fold.' Kerroo Garroo.
Bwoajllee carnane heose (and heese).
‘Milking-field of the upper (and lower) cairn.' Kerroo Garroo,
Bwoailleecowle [buli kaul].
‘Cowle's fold.'
Bwoailleegell [buli gel].
1703 Man. Roll Margaret Gell
‘Gell's fold.
Bwoaillee gharroo.
‘Rough milking-fold.' Two ; on Kerroo Garroo.
Bwoaillee ny chibbyragh mooar (and beg).
‘Milking-field of the big (and little) well.' Kerroo Garroo.
Bwoaillee ny goayr Mar.
‘West milking-fold of the goats.'
Bwoaillee ny thammag.
‘Milking-fold of the bush.'
Bwoaillee Quiggin.
‘Quiggin's milking-fold.'
Bwoaillee vooar vullee.
‘Top great milking-fold.' Ballabuigh.
Bwoaillee wooar heear.
‘West great milking-fold.' Ballabuigh.
Caine's Land.
1579 Lib. Episc. Thos. John and Wm. Cayne
1666 Man. Roll Caine's Land
Ab. L, The shore here is called Caine's Strand.
Callow's Meadow.
1666 Man. Roll
Held by the Crosses of Knockaloe, q.v.
Cam ard.
‘High curve.' Ballawillin.
Carrett's Ground.
1579 Lib. Episc. John Carrett
1703 Man. Roll Carrett's Ground Ab. L.
Cashtal y vuggane mooar.
‘Castle of the big sprite.' (Ir. púca). Earthwork on the brows at Ballanayre.
Cass Strooan [].
‘Stream foot or end.' Shore at Lhergy Doo.
Chibbyr ny fairiaghyri.
‘Well of the warts.' Water is said to be good for curing warts.
‘River-bank.' Ballawillin.
Claddagh heose.
‘Top claddagh.' Ballawillin.
Clash doo kione thoar.
‘Black trench (at the) end of the bleaching-green.' Kerroo Garroo.
Claveg [].
Mx. Ciabag, ‘little mouth.' (Ir. dab, ‘a wide mouth.') A tributary of the Neb. This stream comes down through the Staarvey.
Clay Pits.
1643 Man. Roll idem
1749 Dioc. Reg.
Clay for brick-making is still obtained here.
Cloddaugh [].
1643 Man. Roll
Close Bane.
1515 Man, Roll Patric Gilvorr Bane
‘, ,, Patric Bane
1703 ,, Michael White
,, ,, Close Bane
It is unusual to find a man with two Christian names so early as 1515, but he also appears as Patric Bane, holder of Balyhig mill. Close Bane was in the adjoining treen of Ballagarraghyn, Kirk German. ‘Bane's close.' Michael White appears in the same neighbourhood in 1703, and he was probably one of Bane's descendants. Mx. bane, Ir. han, ‘white;' whence the surname.
Close Bane.
‘White enclosure.' Two fields on Kerroo Garroo.
Closebwee [:].
‘Yellow (buigh) enclosure.'
Close e Keery.
1703 Man. Roll Kath. Çubon
,, " Close e Keery
1882 Brown's Dir. ,, ,, Geary
‘Catherine, Kitty or Kherree's enclosure.'
Close hiar.
‘East enclosure.' Ballabuigh.
Close Michael.
1749 Dioc. Reg.
‘Michael's enclosure.'
1703 Man. Roll
‘Great enclosure.'
Close ne Brebagg (or) brabag.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Close of the kiln.' A roofless kiln.
Close ne Lougher.
1643 Man. Roll Close ne Lougher
1747 Dioc. Reg. ,, ny Laaghey
Mx. Close ny loghey, ‘close of the lake,' or ny laaghey of the mire.' Kerroo Garroo.
Close shellee.
‘Willow or sally close.' At White Strand.
Close No.
1703 Man. Roll
‘New (noa) close.'
Close y Carinell.
‘Cannell's enclosure.' Near Peel.
Cluggid Blabae.
‘The Blabae gorge.'
Cole Currough.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Cooyl-churragh, ‘ back c urragh.'
Colvin's Land.
1579 Lib. Episc. John Colvin.
1703 Man. Roll Colvin's Land
1867 Wood Colvin's 4 qr. land
1870 Ord. Sur.Map Lherghycholvine
‘Colvin's land or slope.' (Ir. Mac Conluain).
Congary [].
1754 Dioc. Reg. idem
1831 Manx Sun
‘Rabbit warren.' (Conning, ‘a rabbit.') Ir. Coinicer.
Cooilsleau [].
‘Back (or behind the) mountain.'
Cornelly [].
Mx. Coryn ellee. (Ir. Cor an ailigh), ‘hill of the fort.' In Irish names aileach means a stone fortress. This name may have been introduced by an Irish settler, but if an old name, it must have originally referred to the cairns, several of which are found here.
Corragh Kelle or Keal.
1643 Man. Roll idem
1747 Dioc. Reg.
Mx. Curragh keyl, ‘narrow marsh.'
Corrough Ballagaraghan.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Ballagarraghan marsh.'
Corrough e Gell.
1515 Man. Roll Christian inc Gill
1703 ,, ,, ffinlo Gell
‘, ,, ,‘ Corrough e Gell
‘Gell's marsh.'
Corrough Kennough.
1643 Man. Roll Win. Kennough
1703 ,, ,, Phill. ,,
‘Kennaugh's marsh.' (Ir. Coinneach).
Corrough Mollough.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Curragh mollagh, ‘rough marsh.'
Corvalley [].
1703 Man. Roll Corvalley
‘Odd farm.'
‘Miry place.' Ballabuigh
Creggan Mooar,
On Knocksharry. v. idem. in Kk. Patrick.
Creg Malin [1.
1703 Man. Roll idem
‘Rock of the hill-brow.' (Ir. Creag malainn). The nom. is maia, Mx. mollee, ‘an eyebrow.' Malin in Donegal. The local derivation is Creg mhollim, ‘soft or friable rock,' but the phonetics are against it, and the 1703 form was spelt exactly as it is to-day.
Creg ny gayt [].
‘Rock of the cats.' Wild ? The Manx name of the rock on Skerestal.
Creg Willy Syl.
‘Willy Syl's (Sylvester) crag.' Usually rendered Creg Willys Hill. v. Bill Syl's meadow.
Crine's Close.
1747 Dioc. Reg.
‘Kneen's close.'
Croit beg.
‘Little field.' Ballawillin,
Croit liauyr,
1703 Man. Roll Long Croft
,, ,, " Crot Lower
1736 Dioc. Reg, Croit liaur
‘Long croft.'
Cronk Bane [].
1703 Man. Roll Cronk Bane
1745 Manx Soc. XIV. Knockbane
1779 ,, ,, ‘, Nockbane ‘White hill.'
Cronk beg.
‘Little hill.' Ballawillin.
Cronk breac [].
1643 Man. Roll Croch Breck
1747 Dioc. Reg. Knockbrack
The 1643 form means ‘speckled cross,' but the distinction to be drawn between croch and crosh is, that the former was always used in the sense of a gallows or gibbet. The 1747 form means ‘speckled hill.' The 6 in. Ord. Sur. Map marks ‘Site of Stone Cross' on this estate, all history of which has been lost, but the raised mound is still there, and the site is known locally as ‘the Crosh.' If the 1643 form is correct, this cross was used as a gallows.
Cronkdhoo [].
1703 Man. Roll Cronk Doo
1867 Wood Knock Dhoo
‘Black hill,'
Cronk Grianagh, bc. Crorik ny Creenee.
The first is Ord. Sur. Map name, meaning ‘Sunny Hill. ‘ The second is the local name, and the old people say it means the ‘Hill of Wisdom.' Both derivations are doubtful. It more probably contains a lost surname, such as Grene.
Cronk Keeill Ean [].
‘Hill of John's church.' The meaning of this place-name is obvious, but the map-makers have elected to place Keeil Moirrey here. The latter church should he on Ballakillworrey, but according to the Ord. Survey it is on Ballalough. The probability is, that the site of Keeil Moirrey was lost, and the name was attached to Cronk Keeill Ean, we thus find the church with two dedications.
It may be here noted that Ran (Sc. G. lain) is the Gall-Gaelic form of the Ir. Eoin. The former is more common in the Isle of Man. Where we find names in Eoin, Irish influence may be assumed.
Cronk Keeill Eoin [].
‘The hill of John's church.' The Manx name of Tynwald Hill.
Cronk Lheannag, bc. Cronk Lammag.
‘Hill of the little meadow.'
Cronk mooar.
‘Great hill.' Ballawillin.
Cronk ny fasney.
‘Hill of the winnowing.' Between Knock Bane and Moaney~
Cronk ny killey.
‘Hill of the church.' The old name of Laurel Bank There was an ancient church which has now disappeared. Also field name on Ballawillin.
Cronk ny wheagil or whoagil.
1792 Old Plan
Mx. Cronk ny quiggal, ‘hill of the distaff.' On Kerroo Garroo.
Cronk ny lhenagh.
1792 Old Plan
Mx. Cronk ny lheaitnagh, ‘hill of the meadow.' On Kerroo Garroo.
Cronky [].
‘Hilly place.' Field on Kenna.
Cronk y jucklee or chucklee.
‘Hill of the broom.' The latter element is a corruption of gioicagh. Elevation on Peel Golf Links.
Cronk y toshiagh []
Mx. Cronk y toshee,'hill of the chieftain.' The Scottish surname Macintosh (Sc. G. Mac an TÓisich), meaning ‘Chieftain's son,' might also be entertained here. On Ballakaighen,
Cronk y voddee [].
‘Hill of the dog.'
Crosh Mooar [].
‘Big cross.' Said to have been here at one time, now lost.
Crot e Crellin.
1515 Man. Roll Jenken McNellen
1643 ,, ,, Martin Crellin
1703 ,, ,, Crot e Crellin ‘McNellen or Crellin's croft.' (Ir. Mac Nialidin).
Crot ny killagh [].
‘Croft of the church.' The ancient church, south of St. John's Chapel, which gave name to this croft, has now disappeared. Near St. John's Chapel
Crott Vonaughan.
1703 Man. Roll
Mx. Croit Vayncighyn, ‘Monks' croft.' Near Peel.
Crot Vore.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Big croft.'
Crot y bod.
1703 Man. Roll
‘Croft of the butt.' Probably for practising archery This place was close to Peel, in the treen of Ballatersyn.
Curragh bane.
1749 Dioc. Reg.
‘White marsh.'
Curragh Bugogue []
1643 Man. Roll
‘Marsh of the blackthorn.'
Curragh Craine [].
1643 Man. Roll Wm. Craine
1703 ,, ,, Jo.
‘Craine's curragh.' v. Ballacraine.
Curragh Doo.
1643 Man. Roll Curraugh Doo
1747 Dioc. Reg. Curragh Doo
‘Black marsh.'
Curragh Feeagh []
1643 Man. Roll Curragh ffeaugh
1747 Dioc. Reg. Curragh Feeagh
‘Raven's marsh.'
Curragh garey.
‘Marsh of the garden.' (or garee). On Kerroo Garroo.
Curragh Glass.
‘Green marsh.'
Curragh Greate.
‘Great marsh.'
Curragh Greeby.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Greeba marsh.'
Curragh Kelly
1643 Man. Roll Patt. Kelly
‘Kelly's marsh.'
Currough Balla Varkish.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Ballavarkish marsh.'
Currough e Groat [].
1643 Man. Roll
‘Marsh of the groat.' (4d.)
Devil's Elbow.
Alternative name for Glion Cam,
Obscure. Perhaps darrag, ‘oak, bog-oak.' An ancient canoe, which is in the Manx Museum, was found on the adjoning farm of Ballakaighen. On Ballabuigh.
Dowse [].
Mx. Dooys, ‘black land' (Ir. dubhas).
Dreembeary [].
‘Beary ridge.'
Driney [] Particle.
1643 Man. Roll Dryny
1741 Dioc. Reg. Drinagh
Drinagh or drinee, ‘thorny place,'
Dubbyr y fidder [].
‘The weaver's dub.' A pool on the Neb in which a weaver drowned himself in the year 1735.
Eairy Beg.
1703 Man. Roll Narry Vigg
1704 Dioc. Reg. Neary vegg
‘Little shieling.'
Eairy Moar.
‘Great shieling.' Anciently Bellatruan.
1643 Man. Roll Nary Glass
‘Green shieling.'
Earyihean [].
1643 Man. Roll Airy Lame
1867 Wood Earylhane
‘Broad shieling.'
Faaie veg.
‘Little green.' Between Knock bane and Moaney.
Feed Dial.
Obscure. Perhaps ‘twenty dial.' A field behind Cowley Terrace, Peel.
Foraad [].
‘Under or beside the road.'
Fort or Port.
1769 Dioc. Reg. John Kaighin e furst.
1771 ,, ,, ,‘ " e fort.
This was probably an earthwork which has now disappeared. v. Port y candys. In treen of Alia Gnebe.
Gaairey hessa.
1792 Old Plan
Mx. Garee chassagh ‘winding shrubbery.' On Kerroo Garroo.
Giants' Fingers.
v. Meir y foawr.
Gilyn eas, ‘gil of the waterfall.' v. p.37. At Rhenass.
Glebe, Kk. German.
The old glebe bounded on the S. and E. by Ballakillmorrey, on the N. and W. by Lhergydhoo-baine, Ballajiarg Cross and a part of Ballagirr..
Glen, The.
Kerroo Garroo.
Glen Broigh [].
‘Dirty glen.'
Glenfaba [].
v. Sheading of Glenfaba.
Glen Helen [].
This should probably be Glen Nellen or Glion Ne llen, ‘Nellen's glen,' from the early holders. v. Crot e Crellin. [nonsense - Kneen didnt know history!]
Glen Mooar [].
‘Great glen.'
Glen Obbeeyn [].
‘Glen of spells or sorceries.'
Glion Cam [].
‘Crooked or winding~glen.'
Glion Darragh [].
‘Oak glen.'
Glion Gill [].
1515 Man. Roll John McKill
1703 ,, ,, ffinlo Gell
‘Gill or McKill's glen.'
Glion Kerrad [].
1515 Man. Roll John McKerd
‘McKerd's (now Garrett) glen.'
Glion mucklagh.
‘Pigstye glen.' At Glen Broigh.
Glion Quaggan.
‘Quaggan's glen.' Between the two Lhergy Doos.
Glion Shellan [].
‘Glen of bees.'
Glion thoar.
1792 Old Plan
‘Bleaching glen.'
Gob, The.
‘The mouth or beak.'
Gob y Deigan [].
‘Point of the dagon.' Dagon was the national god of the Philistines—half-god, half-fish. It was an old name in Peel for a certain type of fishing-smack.
"About 1760 a builder named Cowin launched a smack of sixty tons, and called it Dagon. Up to that date no vessel so large had been built in Peel, and every smack built for sometime afterwards was given the same nick-name" (Voc. Ang. Mx. Dial.) There is no history why this headland received this name, but it is probable that one of these vessels was wrecked there.
Gob y Skeddan [].
‘Point of the herring.'
Greeba, Treen [] Also Alia G.
c. 1193 Chart. Olave II Ballacgniba
1515 Man. Roll Gnebe
1703 ,, ,, Kneebe
Olave II, King of Mann and the Isles, granted to the Canons of Candida Casa the hospital of Ballacgniba, and also the Church of St. Ninian of Ballacgniba, with the lands belonging to them. This probably means that the treens of Gnebe and Alia Gnebe were included in the grant. This is not only an extensive piece of land, but part of it is now in Kirk Marown, to wit, St Trinian's (Ninian) Church ; and it is possible that the parishes as we know them to-day were at that time still unformed. Greeba (Gnebe) is from Scand. gnIpa, ‘a peak' ; applied to the hill which still bears that name, and the earliest name of the treen, now divided into two parts, was Bailey gnipa, ‘farm of the peak,' — a hybrid name, half Gaelic and half Scandinavian.
Greeba Mountain and River.
v. Greeba.
v. Peel.
Hunter's Meadow.
1703 Man. Roll
Hunter was a common surname in the parish in the 16th and 17th centuries. They first appear as soldiers in Peel Castle, and were probably brought over from Lancashire by the Earls of Derby.
Immer Lower.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx Immyr liauyr, ‘long ridge.'
Injeig vlieaun.
‘Milking nook.' Between Knock Bane and Moaney.
Keeill Eoin [].
‘John's church.' At Tynwald Hill. We find two dedications to John in the same neighbourhood, Keeill Roin and Keeill Ean. The former is the Irish form (EÓin) and the latter is the Scottish form (Eoin.) It is probable that names containing the Irish form are much older than those containing the Scottish form, the Irish form being introduced by the early Irish missionaries, and the Scottish or Hebridean form being introduced during the Gall-Gaelic period, when Mann was the centre of an island kingdom.
Keeill Moirrey [].
‘Mary's church.'
"A Court of all the Commons of Mann, holden at Tinwald, before Henry Byron, Lieutenant of Mann, upon Thursday next after the Feast of St. Mary, in the Year of our Lord God 1429" (Mx. Statutes). It is extremely probable that, in connection with this Court, a fair was also held in honour of the patron saint of this little Church. v. Ballakiliworrey. The site of this church, which must have been on BallakiliWorrey, is lost ; and the name has become associated with another site. v. Cronk Keeill Ean.
KeeilI Pharick a Drumma [].
1643 Man. Roll Kylfarick è dromma
1747 Dioc. Reg. Kill Parick y Drommey
Mx. Keeiil Pharick y drommey, ‘Patrick's church of the ridge' (dreeym). The ruins of this ancient church may still be seen.
Kennaa [].
1515 Man. Roll John McKe (Ir. MacA odha)
1643 ,, ,, Kena
1742 Dioc. Reg. Kynna
Ir. Ceaun A odha, ‘Aodh's hill.' ~ Mac is omitted in the place-name. The usual meaning of ceann (Mx. kione) is ‘a head or end,' but when followed by a personal name it usually means ‘a small height or hill.' In place-names the dative form cinn is often used as a nominative, as it appears to be in this case ; thus Cinn-A odha.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Kione toccar, ‘end of the causeway.'
Kerrow chord [].
1515 Man. Roll John McKerd
1703 ,, ,, Kerrow Koar
1787 Dioc. Reg. Kerroo Coyard
1869 High. Acc. ,, Cord
‘McKerd's quarterland.' v. Glion Kerrad which adjoins the quarterland. The 1703 form is obviously miscopied.
Kerrowgarroo [keru garu].
1643 Man. Roll Kerrow Garrow
‘Rough quarterland.'
Kerrow Moore.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Great quarterland.'
Kerrow Glass.
1703 Man. Roll ~ Kerrow Glass
1741 Par. Reg, ,, ,,
1768 Dioc. Reg. Kerrooglas ‘Green quarterland.'
Kerroo ny Claghagh.
1703 Man. Roll Kerrow Clough
1747 Dioc. Reg. Kerroo ny Glogh
1791 Manx Soc, XIV Kerro ny Glagh
Mx. Kerroo ny glagh, ‘quarterland of the stones.' v. note On eclipsis in introduction.
Obscure. Field on Ballahimmin.
Kessa Road.
v. Kessah in Kk. Santan. At Ballabooye.
Kew []. Particles.
1526 Man. Roll John McKewe
1703 ,, ,, Mollen e Kew
From the surname Kewe or McKewe. Anciently called the Driney.
"From the Mill of Tynwald this year in the tenure of John McKewe 125. 8d." Man. Roll 1526.
Kione Cammal.
‘Cammal (q.v.) end.'
Knocksharry [].
1626 C.R.P. Knocksharry
1703 Man. Roll Knockshary
‘Sharry or McSharrey's hill.' (Ir. Mac Searraigh). V. Ballacharry in Kk. Arbory. Ab. L.
Lady Port.
No history.
Lag Dhoan [].
‘Brown hollow.'
Lag Doo.
‘Black hollow,' Ballabuigh.
Lammall, Treen. []
1515 Man. Roll Lambefell
1703 ,, ,, Lambfell
1734 Manx Soc. Lammal
Scand. Lambafjall, ‘lamb mountain.' v. Maase, the Gaelic name of this ridge. Two quarterlands called L. Beg and L. Mooar.
Land of the Staff of St. Patrick.
v. Ballaterson.
Laurel Bank.
Modern. Formerly Cronk y killey, q.v.
Leany bugoage.
1747 Dioc. Reg.
Mx. Lheeannee bugogue, ‘blackthorn meadow.'
Leany Garrow.
1643 Man. Roll Leany Garrow
1747 Dioc. Reg. ,, Garroo
Mx. Lheeannee gharroo, ‘rough meadow.'
Leany chrin.
1792 Old Plan
Mx. Lheeannee chreen ,‘withered meadow. ‘ On Kerroo Garroo.
Leany Cregga.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Lheeannee ny creggey, ‘meadow of the rock.'
Leany Droghad.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Bridge meadow.'
Leny herin.
1643 Man. Roll
Mx. Lheeannee ny hoarn, ‘meadow of the barley.'
Leany Poalrey.
1747 Dioc. Reg.
Mx.Lheeannee poyli rea, ‘meadow of the clear pool.'
Leany Vore.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Great meadow.'
Lheanee runt.
‘Round meadow.' Kerroo Garroo.
Wood Colvin's qrland.
‘Colvin's slope.' Ab. L.
Lhergydoo [].
1643 Man. Roll Large Dow
1706 Dioc. Reg. Lurgy doo, Largadow
1738 ,, ,, Liargey doo
‘Black slope.' Ab. L.
Lhiannag [].
1870 Ord. Sur. Map. Lhiannag
1882 Brown's Dir. Lynauge
Scand. Lyngvik, ‘ling or heather creek.'
Lhing dub.
Mx. Lhing doo, ‘black pool.' At Glenfaba.
Lhoob y Rheast [].
1791 Dioc. Reg. Loob y Reayst
‘Gulley of the moor.' "Brig cast away on the night of Feb. 2nd, 1791, all hands perished. The captain's (Robt. Anderson) corpse only found on the 23rd Feb. and buried in the Cathedral. ‘—D.R.
Logan's Rheast,
1703 Man. Roll Reast
1840 Dioc. Reg. Logan's Rheast
1874 H.B.N. ,,
Mx. reeast, ‘a moor, waste.'
Maase [].
In Maase mooar, ‘great ridge.' v. Ballavaish.
Magher beg.
‘Littlefield.' Kerroo Garroo.
Mar ragh.
Perhaps magher raahagh, ‘prosperous or fortunate field.' On Starvey.
Magher y thie losht.
‘Field of the burnt house.' Ballabuigh.
Manannan's Chair [].
Traditionally associated with Manannan, the Celtic god of the sea, about whom much lore was formerly extant in the Isle of Man.
This earthwork is sometimes called Managhan's chair, and as it is situated on Bayr ny maynaghyn, it makes the association with Manannan very doubtful.
Meir y foawr [].
‘The giant's fingers.' The remains of a megalithic monument on Lhergy Dhoo uplands, and visible for miles around.
Mill of Tynwald.
1515 Man. Roll
Now Mullin e Kew.
1703 Man. Roll Mony Vore.
‘Great turbary.'
Molendio de Hulmtoun.
1513 Man. Roll
‘Mill of Peel.' V. Peel.
Mollen beg.
1643 Man. Roll
‘Little mill.'
Mollen e Cowle.
1643 Man. Roll James Cowle
'Cowle ‘ s:mill.'
Mony Robinson.
1703 Man. Roll
‘Robinson's turbary.'
‘Top.' Starvey.
Mullagh Dawson.
‘Dawson's top.' Small farm near cemetery.
Mullen e Kew [].
1526 Man. Roll John McKewe
1643 ,, ,, Mullen e Kewe
‘Kewe or McKewe's mill.' (Ir. Mac Aodha, anglicized Mac Hugh).
Mullen Renash.
‘Mill of Rhenass.'
‘Naaigh hoal
‘The far fiat.' Ballawillin.
Neb, River [].
1648 Blundell Neb, the
v. Sheading of Glenfaba.
Nelargaigh, Nelairgaigh.
1759 Dioc. Reg.
For Yn Liargagh, ‘the slope.'
Northop [].
Scand . Norðrthorp , ‘ north hamlet or village. ‘ Modern. Anciently Bollagh.
Obbyr laa ny guilley buigh
‘Day's work of the yellow boys. ‘ The peculiar name of five small fields on Ballabuigh, q.v. Guilley buigh's descendants became Mac Guilley buigh, but by 1515 shortened to Mac buigh ; now Boyde.
Officer's Cave.
On the coast of Ballagyr.
the beginning of the 18th century, but not into general use until the 19th century.
The night-watch for the parish of Kirk German was kept at Peel.
Ooig Beg [].
‘Little cave.'
Ooig Mooar [].
‘Big cave.'
Usually called in Manx thalloo, a plot or parcel of ecclesiastical land, the rent of which was devoted to the training of poor scholars for the priesthood.
Particles of Kirk German.
In the Man. Roll of 1702 the particles are set down as follows :—Ballalough, Ballakille Mory, Dryny, Ball-nahorra, Brackabrowme.
Peel [].
1231 Bull Pope Gregory IX Holme Towen
1515 Man. Roll Hulmtoun
1580 to 1662 Lib. Episc. Holmetowne
1655 and after ,, Peeletowne
1703 Man. Roll Peele
In Lib. Episc. Peel is called Holmetowne or Villa de Holmetowne up to 1662 ; after the latter date it is usually called Peeletowne, and Holmetowne only occursin Latin material. The earliest documentary form is the Norse Hólmtún, ‘island town'; which was probably used side by side with its Gaelic equivalent, Purl ny hinshey (Ir. Port na h-inse). It took the name Peel town, of course, from the castle. Pile as an alternative name for this Patrick occurs in a Bull of Pope Gregory IX in 1231, and was probably borrowed from the English by the Scandinavians of Cumberland, who introduced it into Mann. Peeley is used in Manx with the meaning of ‘fortress.'
The abbreviated form, Peel, came into use as early as
Peel Castle.
1669 C.R.P. Castle Pele.

 [see under Peel for Peel Street names]

Pondary Meddow.
1671 C.R.P.
This meadow may have been used for pounding cattle. "For Rent out of ye Lord's Meddow att Peele called the Pondary Meddow by Ensigne Harrison 00 05. 00."
Pooil reiy.
‘Level or smooth pool or hole.' On road from Manannan's chair to Cronk y voddee.
"Said to have been so called from a member of the De la Poer family. who once resided there." (Mx. Names)
[fpc - the De La Poer family was a long established family in Ireland - De La Poer of Gurteen le Poer according to Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland - the name was later altered to Le Power - Richard 6th Baron of Le Power and 1st Baron Tyrone died a Jacobite prisoner in Tower of London, 14 Oct 1690. Subsequent members were also attainted as Jacobites in 1715 - John Power 9th Lord Power and Curraghmore was a colonel under James II and died attainted in Paris in 1725. Corris's map of Peel also has 'Poor Lands' on Ballatersin adjacent to 'the Flat']
Port y candas [].
This was a name applied to an earthwork on Scravorley, q.v., and it is peculiar to note that the first and last elements of the place-name are practically identical in meaning. According to Prof. Joyce, port means a fortress or military station, a royal fort, a chieftain's residence. Ceanannus was a circular earthen fort or dun in which the king or chieftain resided. Probably its earlier name was ceanannus [] ,to which port was a later edition.
Purt ny Lady.
‘Port of the lady.' An old inhabitant of the district gives a tradition that a lady in white frequented this little port which is at the mouth of Glen Cam, and that one of his ancestors, a Kaighen of Ballakaighen, married her.
Quarral Road.
‘Road of the quarry.' Near Poortown. The road is an ancient one on the Kew. ‘The Giant's grave,' a megalithic monument. is on the road.
Reeast heese.
‘Lower waste.' Adjoining Strooan y kirkey.
Rhenass [].
1526 Man. Roll Rennesse (mill of)
1643 ,, ,, Mollen Renash
1755 Dioc. Reg. Renaish
Mx. Rheynn eas [rein ja:s] , ‘waterfall division.' Also Rhenass river.
Rhenny [].
1643 Man. Roll Boll e Renny
Mx. Boayl y rhennee, ‘place of the fern.'
Rheynn Sheilan.
1792 Old Plan
‘Bee division. ‘ On Kerroo Garroo.
Rheynn vane [].
‘White division.' Ballabuigh.
Rheynn Yemmy.
‘Jemmy's division.' Ballawillin.
1854 Ballachrink
Mx. Bailey yn chrink, ‘farm of the hill.'
Sandall. Treen.
1515 Man. Roll Santedale
1703 ,, ,, Sandall
Scand. Sanddalr, ‘sandy glen or dale.' Either Glion broigh or Glion cam, both of which are in the treen.
Scravorley [].
Mx. Scra-voalley, ‘mire rampart or mound.' This small estate takes its name from a large earthwork here, which also bore the name Port y candys.
Shenn Harra [].
1882 Brown's Dir. Shenarra
‘Old (Balla)harra.' A modern name applied to part of the particle where the old farm buildings were situated.
Shenn thalloo sthie.
‘Old inside or inner land.' Kerroo Garroo.
Skerestal, Treen [].
1516 Man. Roll Scaresdale
1703 ,, ,, Scaresdaile, Scarsdale
1784 Manx Soc. XIV. Skerristal
,, ,, ,, ,, Skerriston
1789 ~ ,, ,, ,, Scaristyl
Scand. Skersstatir, ‘rock or sherry farm.' There is a remarkable outcrop of rock on this estate. In 1703 one of the quarterlands of this treen was called Ballacran,q.v.
‘The hollow.' Or perhaps the Norse slakki,'a slope
Stream from Kirk Patrick, joining the Neb near the Raggatt.
Stack, The.
v. Stack in Kirk Christ Rushen.
Staarvey [].
1882 Brown''s Dir. Stervy
From Ir. Scairbh, ‘a rough, shallow ford.' The adjectival suffix, -ach, is often added to the root, making: it scairbheach, and the oblique form scairbhigh is also common. From the latter the name Staarvey is derived These three forms are found in the following Irish place names;— Scarriff in Clare, Scarva in Down, and Scarvy in Monaghan. Palatalisation, or change of c to t, is common in the Manx language. .
St. German's Cathedral.
v. Parish of Kirk German. ~
St. John's.
Called in Manx Keeill Eoin, ‘John's church.' It is dedicated to John the Baptist, and probably had some connection with the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. v. Boaly Spittal.
St. John's Church or Chapel.
"There must have been various edifices erected for the purpose of holding these Tynwalds ; that mentioned in the statute-book of 1429 is the first we find in a public document In 1699 the one then standing had become ruinous, and a new one was commenced on the same site, as appears by a note in the memorandum-book of Bishop Wilson"—Mx. Soc., Vol. xix, p.21. The present building was consecrated in 1849.
Stockfield []
1689 C.R.P. Stockle
1703 Man. Roll Stockhill
1794 C.R.P. Stockell
Scand. Stokafjall, ‘block bill.' v. Stockfield in Kirk Malew.
Strooan y kirkey [].
1703 Man. Roll Struan a kirky
1747 Dioc. Reg. Strooan y kirkey
‘Stream of the church.' Scand. kirk, with Gaelic genitive. The stream has its source near an ancient church called Keeill Moirrey on the Ordnance Survey map.
Tallow Quayle.
1579 Lib. Episc. Thos. Quaill
1643 Man. Roll Don. Quayle
1794 C.R.P. Tallow Quail
1882 Brown's Dir. Thoulough Quayle
‘Quayle's land.' Ab. L.
1643 Man. Roll Tather
1747 Dioc. Reg. Tagher Veary.
‘Beary causeway.' Toccar, ‘a causeway over a stream or bog.'
Thie Runt.
‘Round house.' Ballanayre. It is said that a woman died in (of) the cholera in this house and no one would bury her. A man hooked a chain to her and attached it to a horse and pulled her out into the Bwoaillee Cowle field adjoining, and buried her in a corner of the field. A thorn-tree now grows over the grave. [This is probably Judith Cringle]
Thoannaghyn beggey.
1792 Old plan.
‘Little bottom-lands.' v. Tonvane in Kirk Malew. On Kerroo Garroo.
Traie Fogog [].
The local name is Traie feoghaig [], ‘periwinkle shore,' which is probably correct.
Traie Vane.
1706 Dioc. Reg. Traibane
1788 ,, ,, White Strand
‘White strand.'
Tynwald Hill [].
c. 1376 Chron. Mann. Tyngvalla
1515 Man. Roll Tynwald [mill of]
Scand. Thingvollr, ‘parliament field.' Hill where the thing or court sat. v. Cronk Keeill Eoin.
Ughtagh brish my chree [].
‘Break my heart hill.' Tradition says that Alswith a son of Hiallus nan ord, the dark smith of Drontheim, undertook to walk round all the churches in the Isle of Man in one day. Alswith started off very early one fine summer morning, and he had almost accomplished his task, but evening overtook him as he approached St. John's, and while going up the Starvey road leading over the Driney he fell down exhausted. If he had reached Kirk Michael, a few miles away, he would have finished his task. The hill was afterwards known as Ughtagh brish my chree.
West and east flatts and meadows.
On Kerroo Garroo.
Will's Strand.
No history.
Wood's Strand.
1643 Man. Roll John Woods
1703 ,, ,, Thos. Held the adjoining land.


The following list of names of fishing-marks as used by the old fishermen has been collected by Mr. J. J. Joughin, of Peel. They are all off the coast of Kirk Patrick and Kirk German. In regard to their usage Mr. Joughin makes the following observations : "These fishing places, locally called Fishing Marks, took their names from (i). The names of the men who discovered them ; (2). Some peculiarity of the place or sea-bottom; (3). Some prominent feature of, or object on, the land from which they took their bearings."

Anchor Place, Badys, Ballakaighen,

Bay Mark, Ben's Place, Biilyah's Place,

Bluggan. ‘Coal-fish?'

Boayl Dawson. ‘Dawson's place.'

Boayl fadane. ‘Solitary spot.'

Boayl fo yn train. ‘Place beneath or near the train'

Boayl Harry, ‘Harry's place.'

Boayl Irvine. ‘Irvine's place.'

Boayi Jane. ‘Jane's place.'

Boayl Jiass. ‘South place.'

Boayl Joe. ‘Joe's spot.'

Boayl joogh. ‘Greedy spot.'

Boayi Mooar. ‘Big spot.'

Boayl ny blockan. ‘Spot of the coal-fish.'

Boayl ny frog. ‘Place of the frogs.'

Boayl Stack. ‘Place of the stack.'

Boayl Stock.

Boayl y daahder. ‘Place of the dyer.'

Boayi yrjey. ‘Highest spot.'

Cabbyl bane. ‘White horse.'

Creg. ‘Rock.'

Fairy Place.

Freeagh. Freoagh, ‘heather' (?)

Greie. A variety of fisherman's line.

Gob ny slate. ‘Small headland or point of the slates.'

Grunt y ghailley mooar. ‘Ground of the big stomach.'

Grunt y villey. ‘Ground of the tree.'

Harry the Doctor's Place.

Jack Geel's Place.

Johnny's Place.


Kione Eiragh.

Knocksharry Beg.

Meer Carroo. ‘Quarter-piece.'

Nagg. Perhaps yn crgg, ‘the notch"

Old Man's Place.

Paddy Clark's Place.

Round Tower, "On St. Patrick's Isle. When used as an object on land for taking their bearings at sea was called the Clag, i.e., a tower which contained a clock or bell."—j.j.j.

Skinner's Place.

Sonnen Mooar and Sonnen Beg. Perhaps from



Back index next


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000