[from Manx Place-names, 1925]
Parish of Kirk Braddan.
|| Bull of Pope Gregory IX.
|| Terras Sti Bradarni.
|| Synod. Ordin. Bp. Mark.
|| Ecciesia Scti. Bradani.
|| Cas. Rush. Papers.
|| Kirk Scti. Brandani.
|| Kirk Bradan, Bradon.
|| Dioc. Reg. Eccies.
|| Sti. Brandini,
|| Dioc. Comm. Book.
|| Eccies. Sanct. Braddani.
|| Court Document.
|| Eccles. St. Brendin.
|| Skyll Vraddan.
THE 1511 Man. Roll [form] is identical with that of 1291. The 1550-1 form occurs four times
in different documents. There were ten Irish saints named Brenainn, but Brenainn, abbot of Clonfert, whose dedication date
was May 16th, is probably the saint from whom the parish of Kirk Braddan derived its name. In the Calendar of Ængus,
under May 16th, we find the following entry :Togairm brenaind cluana, the calling of Brenainn of Cluan
We have two records of a fair held in Douglas on May 24th for the years 1733 and 1754, which might he considered
to be within the octave of Brenainns dedication date.
In the Scottish Calendar of Saints it is stated that Brenainn baptised and taught Machutus (v. Kk. Maughold).
In the Brussels MS. Lives of the Saints appears the following : "He (Brenainn) said to his brethren, Let us go into
the regions of the Mananei, for that land requires us. " Did this refer to the Isle of Man ?
St. Brennans Fair was held in Kilbirnie, Scotland, on May 28th, and in many other places on May 2nd.
The form Braddan into which Brenainn developed in Mann, took place at an early date, if one assumes that the name was rightly
spelt by the early scribes. The various conflicting forms found in MS. material have proved a stumbling block to the saints
identification for a long time, but it has generally been conceded by most writers on Manx history that Braddan is identifiable
with Brenainn. The metamorphosis of Brenainn into Braddan, however, is not an insurmountable phonetic barrier, and, as a
parallel case, one might instance the place-name Cornama,which has now become Cordeman (Kk. Malew).
The following are some forms of the name found in Ireland, Scotland and the Hebrides : Brandan, Bran-don, Brannon, Brenand,
Brengan, Brenghan and Brennan. There is also a Kilbradan in Limerick, where possibly the same phonetic development has taken
place as in Mann. What is, perhaps, of more importance, is the fact that the Irish Martyrologies and Calendars do not record
any saint named Braddan.
Kirk Braddan comprises within its limits a small portion of the town of Douglas, that part which is south of the river,
the latter being the boundary between the parishes of Kirk Braddan and Kirk Conchan.
The parish is about eleven miles long from north to south, and varying from one to five miles in breadth from east to west.
Its area is 11454.015 acres. It is bounded on the east by Kirk Conchan, Kirk Lonan and the sea, on the south by Kirk
Santan and the sea, on the west by Kirk Michael, Kirk German, Kirk Marown and Kirk Santan, and on the north by Ballaugh
and Kirk Christ Lezayre.
The Abbot of Rushen held extensive lands in this parish, including the Nunnery,
which was formerly a priory. The Bishop of Mann also owned lands which are mentioned at a very early period.
Old Kirk Braddan church and church-yard are situated about two miles from Douglas,
on the Douglas-Peel road, and the old church-yard which was used until quite recently, must have been used as a place of
sepulture during the Norse period, as is proved by the runic monuments found in the church-yard, now set up in the nave
of the old church.
- The Abbeylands of Braddan comprise the quarterlands and lands of Ballaslig, Ballacregga, Kewaigue and the Nunnery.
- Airy Wind.
- 1643 Man. Roll. Nary Ween.
1739 Parochial Visit. Airy Wind.
- Mx. (Yn) eary veen, smooth, or fertile hill-pasture.
- Algayre 
- 1643 Man. Roll Algare.
1744- Dioc. Reg.
- Ir. Ealgar from root ealg, nobility, justice ; and locative suffix -ar : place
of justice. The ancient Tynwald Hill is on this estate, where John Walton, Lieutenant of Mann, held a Tynwald Court
c. 1429. There is a place called Drumalagagh in county Roscommon, which is now called Mount Equity.
The true meaning of the name is Ridge of Justice v. Isle of Man, Its Name, Introduction.
- Annacur 
- 1703 Man. Roll. Anacurr
1737 Dioc. Reg. Anacur.
1750 ,, ,, Ana-curr.
- Mx. Anagh cor (Ir. eanach), the marsh of the herons.
- Ary beg, .
- Little shieling.
- Awhallan .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Awhellan.
1742 Paroch. Visit. Aquallan.
- Mx. Aad whallian, whelps ford. This farm takes its name from a ford on the river Glass.
- 1643-1703 Man. Roll.
- Little farm. Now Spring Hill.
- Baldwin .
- 1511 Man. Roll. Baldall.
1643 ,, ,, Baldal.
1703 ,, ,, Baldin.
1734 Dioc. Reg. Bauldin.
- Manx Form Boayldin.
- Scand. Boldair, homestead dale. It is tempting to derive this name from Irish Bealitaine, the
Summer festival of the Celts. The Manx form is Boaldyn, which is pronounced exactly like Boayldin
and the proximity of the ancient Tynwald Hill, Algare, etc. makes the theory all the more alluring. The early forms, however,
are against this derivation.
- Baldwin Mill.
- 1511 Man. Roll. Baldall, Mill of.
1703 ,, ,, Baldin Miln.
- 1773 Dioc. Reg.
- The farm of the kiln. "Brebag, a kiln without a roof to dry corn or flax on" (Creg. Dict.) Now Leece Lodge.
Part of Ballafletcher.
- Ballabunt .
- 1703 Man. Roll. Bailnebunt.
- Mx. Bailey buinnt, cut or mown farm. Where crops were raised, in contradistinction to Ballavagher
(q.v.) which would be kept for grazing purposes.
- Ballacain .
- Cains farm. Modern name. Formerly part of Ballacaroon.
- Ballacaroon. 
- 1703 Man. Roll. John Carrown.
- ,, ,, Ballacarrown.
- Caroon, or Carrowns farm. (Ir. Mac Carrgharnhna).
- Ballachrink .
- 1643 Man. Roil. Ballacrunk.
- Mx. Bailey chrink, hill farm. One in Treen of Camlork, one in Gresby and one in Baldall Reynylt
- Ballachristry [Treen],
- 1511 Man. Roll. Baldall Cristen.
1643 ,, ,, Ballachristry.
- v. Baldwin. Surname Mac Cristen (Cristeen). Ir. Mac Cristin.
- Ballacottier, .
- 1511 Man. Roll. Donald McOtter.
1643 ,, ,, Richard Cottier.
1703 ,, ,, Richard Cottier.
,, ,, ,, Ballacottier.
- McOtter or Cottiers farm.
- Ballacregga .
- 1580 Lib. Episc. Ballacregga.
1736 Dioc. Reg. Ballacreggan.
- Mx Bailey creggey, rocky farm. Ab. F.
- Ballacubbon .
- 1511 Man. Roll. Gibbon McNicholl.
- Gibbon, McGibbon or Cubbons farm. This name seems to have developed from a Christian name rather than
a surname. Such place-names are not uncommon in the Isle of Man.
- Ballacutchal .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Ballaquitchell.
- Custal or Christophers farm. In 1703 Christopher Hampton held the adjoining farm of Ballabunt.
- Ball Enjaghyn.
- 1734 Dioc. Reg.
- Boayl or Bailey Injeigyn, the place or farm of the nooks or angles.
- 1643 Man. Roll. Thos. Fletcher.
1703 ,, ,, Robt. Fletcher.
,, ,, , Ballafletcher.
- Fletchers farm. An English surname. Part of Ballafletcher was Bishops Barony, held by Robt.
Fletcher in 1680.
- Ballagarey .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Ballagary.
- Mx. Bailey garee, river thicket farm.
- Ballaglonney .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Ballaglonna.
1703 ,, ,, Ballaglanney.
- Mx. Bailey glionney, glen farm.
- Ballakewish .
- 1703 Man. Roll. Ballakewish.
- Ir. Mac Thdmhais, Kewishs farm.
- Ballakinnish .
- 1511 Man. Roll. Donald Mclnesh.
1643 ,, ,, Ballakenish.
- Ir. Mac Aonghuis, Mclnesh or Kinnishs farm.
- Ballaleney .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Balnaleany.
1703 ,, ,, Balneleanna.
1735 Dioc. Reg. Bal ny Lheany.
- Mx. Bailey ny lheeannee, farm of the meadow.
- Ballalig .
- 1703 Man. Roll. Ballalugg.
- Mx. Bailey ihigg, farm of the hollow. Ab. F.
- Ballalough 
- Bailey loghey, lake farm.
- Ballamillaghyn .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Ballavillaughan.
1734 Dioc. Reg. Balmillagiiyn
1831 Manks. Adv. Ballamillaghen.
- 'Millaghan or OMillaghans farm. Containing lost surname. (Ir. OMaoileachdn).
- Ballamoda .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Balnamoddey.
1777 Dioc. Reg.
- Mx. Bailey ny moddey, farm of the dogs.
- Ballamona .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Ballamoney.
1734 Dioc. Reg. Bal ny moaney.
1739 Paroch. Visit. Ballamoaney.
- Mona as a second element in Manx names may have two meanings : 1 A boggv or turfy place ; 2. A brake or
shrubbery. As the bogs have in most cases been drained and the shrubberies brought under cultivation, it is often difficult
to say what was the original word. The farm of the turbary or shrubbery.
- 1780 Lib. Episc. John Otes.
,, ,, ,, Ballaoates.
- Oates farm.
- Ballapaddag .
- 1825 Dioc. Reg. Ballapethag.
- Modern. Anciently part of the quarterland of Ballacubbon. A hybrid name, paddock farm. Paddock from O. E.
pearroc, a small enclosure.
- 1643 Man. Roll. John Quiggin. 1734- Dioc. Reg. Baiquickin.
- McHugen (1511) or Quiggins farm. (Ir. Mac Huigin). Now Southampton.
- Ballaquine 
- 1511 Man. Roll. James McQuyne.
1703 ,, ,, Ballaquine.
- Quine or McQuynes Farm. (Ir. Mac Cuinn).
- 1680 Lib. Episc. John Quirke.
- ,, ,, ,, Ballaquirk.
- Quirks farm.
- Ballashamrock .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Ballashamregg.
1737 Dioc. Reg. Ballashamrack.
- Mx. Bailey shamrag, shamrock or white clover farm.
- Ballashuggal .
- Mx. Bailey shoggyl, rye farm.
- Ballavere .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Bealevare.
1703 ,, ,, Belevere.
- Mx. Beealy vayr, mouth of the road.
- Ballaughton. .
- 1583 Lib. Episc. John Aughton.
- ,, ,, ,, Ballaughton.
- 1741 Dioc. Reg. Ball Aughton,
- Gibbon Aghton was in the treen of Douglas in 1511.
- Ballaughton Mill.
- v. Ballaughton and Mullin Aspick.
- Ballavagher. .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Ballavaugher.
1741 Dioc. Reg. Ballavachir.
- In Ir. and Sc. G. machair means a stretch of level unenclosed land, but in Manx simply a field. Where
?nagher occurs in Manx place-names, its Ir. meaning must be taken for granted, and not its restricted Manx application.
The best translation of Ballavagher would therefore be farm of the field land as opposed to woodland, fenland,
or perhaps, tilled land.
- Ballavriew Treen, 
- 1511 Man. Roll. Baldall Brew.
1643 ,, ,, Baldalbrey.
1703 ,. ,, Ballabrew.
- For first element v. Baldwin. The surname is Manx Brew ; Irish O Brughadha. As this is near
Algare (q.v.) briw, a judge might also be considered here.
- Ballawyllyn .
- 1643- 1703 Man.Roll. Ballawillin (-wollen,-wallen).
- Mx. Bailey wyllin, mill farm.
- Ballig 
- Mx. Bailey hg, farm of the Hollow.
- Balnacregnilt, Treen.
- 1511 Man. Roll. Baldall Reynylt.
1643 ,, ,, Balnacregnilt.
- For Baldall v. Baldwin. Norse personal name Rognvaldr became Raghnali and Raonull in Gaelic.
McReynylt in Man in 1511, now Crennell.
- 1746 Dioc. Reg.
- Mx. Baare doo, black top or summit. This may also stand for Bayr doo, black road.
- Bayr Jiarg 
- 1867 Highway Accounts.
- Red road. The road leading from Kenill Abban to Garragh an.
- Barony, Bishops.
- In 1580 the Bishops Barony of Kirk Braddan consisted of the following lands : Ballaoates, Ballacregga, Ballaquirk,
Ballaughton, Ballacrye, Ballafletcher.
- Black and White Water.
- 1648 Blundell.
- v. Doo and Glass.
- Black Rock.
- On Pen-y-pot, boundary of Braddan and Lezayre.
- Booiley vane .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Bollyvane.
1703 ,, ,, Boallyvane.
- Mx. Bwoajllee vane, white cattle-fold.
- Braddan Mill.
- 1680 Lib. Episc.
- Held by Robert Fletcher.
- Bullrenney, Buirhenny. .
- 1703 Man. Roll. Boalrenny.
1732 Dioc. Reg. Bolereinney.
1739 Paroch. Visit. Bolerenny.
1768 Dioc. Reg. Bwoilrhenney. Mx. Boayl rhennee, ferny spot or place.
- Camlork Treen, .
- 1511 Man. Roll. Camlorge.
1703 ,, ,,
1735 Dioc. Reg. Camlourk.
- Mx. Camlurgey, crooked or winding ridge. Lurga means the shin, but in place-names
it is applied to a long low hill or ridge.
- Castle Ward Treen.
- 1511 Man. Roll. (Castell Newade.
1703 ,, ,, Castle Ward.
- Mx, Cashlal ny waaid, castle of the sods. This is the name of the hill, partly natural and partly
artificial, which is on this estate. Part of the estate is still locally known as The Sod Castle. The ancient
name of the estate was Knock e troddan, q.v.
- Cheu ny Howe.
- The side of the Howe. v. Quay, South.
- Chibbyr Niglas .
- (St.) Nicholas well.
- Claddagh .
- 1734 Dioc. Reg. Claddagh.
- Claddagh here means meadowland on the bank of the river. Purt ny shee Claddagh.
- Claughbane .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Balmacly baneij.
1734 Dioc. Reg Ballaclei baneij.
1735 ,, ,, Bal fly cleibany.
- Mx. Bailey ny cleigh bane, farm of the white fence. Ir. Baile na claidhe bána.
- Colden [ko:l~n1.
- 1761 Dioc. Reg. Coldin.
- Scand. Kollrinn, the top, summit. Moore (Manx Names) gives Coidran as an older form but quotes no
authority. This mountain is 1598 ft.
- Colden River.
- v. Colden.
- Collooneys .
- 1511 Man. Roll. Ulyst.
1643 ,, ,, Ulist, Quoole Ulist.
1703 ,, ,, Quoileloonas.
1751 Dioc. Reg. Cooil Looneys.
- Scand. Olafssta~r, Olafs farm. Mx. cooill corner, nook, added later. There
were several kings of Mann named Olaf or Olave.
- Coolebegad .
- Mx. Cooill beggan, little corner. A little creek to the North of Keristal.
- Cooil, The .
- 1643-1703 Man. Roll. Quoole.
- A contracted form of the quarterland of Colooneys q.v. In 1702 we find William Craine ne quooiey, W. C.
of the Cooil ; in the adjoining farm of Ballaglonney.
- 1765 Deed.
- Mx. Carrick, a rock. On Ballaughton.
- Cown .
- Ir. Cabhan, in Ulster means a round, dry hill ; which may be its meaning here. The name is not found
early and may be modern.
- Creg, The.
- The rock. v. Creg y Whallien.
- Creg y Cowin .
- 1511 Man. Roll. Paul McCowne.
1703 ,, ,, Wm. Cowne.
- McCowne or Cowins rock. In this place-name y is not the article, but a weakened form of the genitive
- Creg y cowhi River.
- v. Creg y cowin.
- Creg yn arroo.
- 1736 Dioc. Reg.
- The rock of the corn.
- Creg y Whuallian, .
- Rock of the whelp.
- 1765 Deed. Cronnaggs.
1788 Lib. Episc. Cronags.
- Cronnag, a hillock ; with English plural. On Balla. fletcher.
- Cronkbane .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Knockbane.
- White hill.
- Cronkbourne .
- Hill of the burn or stream. Mx. cronk, a hill and Eng. burn. Modern.
- Cronk Dhoo.
- 1785 Lib. Episc.
- Black hill. The older name of Snugborough, q.v.
- Cronk Glass.
- 1735 Dioc. Reg.
- Green hill.
- Cronk y chiyt .
- The hill of the cat. On Castle Ward.
- Cronk y keeill Abban .
- v. Keeill Abban~ Hill of Abbans church.
- Cross-valla .
- Mx. Crosh voalley, wall, fortification or rampart of the cross. Canon Quine says that this place,
west of West Baldwin, contains the remains of an immense stone circle.
- Crot a da fing.
- 1703 Man. Roll.
- Mx. Croit y daa phing, twopenny croft.
- Crot Doo.
- 1703 Man. Roll.
- Black croft.
- Crott my Quay
- 1703 Man. Roll.
- The croft of Quays daughter. In 1703 Ballalough was held by Ann daughter of Humphrey Quay and
Robert Fayle her husband.
- 1703 Man. Roll. Crotvatta.
1736 Dioc. Reg. Crott Vatty.
- Mx. Croity vaatey, boat croft.
- 1703 Man. Roll,
- Apparently Jockeys croft.
- A modern name. English.
- Dhoon .
- 1739 Paroch. Visit. Doom.
- Mx. Dowin, deep place. The name ofa deep valley in Baldwin ; also the name of a small farm
- Doo .
- 1648 BlundelI Ye Black Water.
- Rises in the Curragh Glass, a flat boggy district at the foot of Greeba, and flows east through the central valley.
It joins the Glass above the Nunnery.
- Douglas Head.
- A translation of the Manx Kione Doolish.
- Dream Road, The.
- 1869 Highway Accounts.
- Mx. Dreeym, a ridge. The road from the parish church to the Vicarage.
- A modern English name.
- Farm Hill.
- Anciently Ballaquirk, q.v.
- Fiddlers Green.
- No history.
- Fort Anne.
- Modern. Queen Anne.
- Fort William.
- Modern. King William IV.
- Garyashen [gE:ri a:,fon].
- Mx. Garee aittin, river-shrubbery of the gorse.
- Garey Flugh.
- 1703 Man. Roll.
- Mx. Gareefliugh, wet river-shrubbery.
- Garey na Mutton.
- 1703 Man. Roll.
- A hybrid form of Garee ny mohit, river-shrubbery of the wethers or muttons.
- Garraghan .
- 1703 Man. Roll. Caraghan.
- Ir. Carrachan, ~rough, craggy or rocky place. Here applied to a mountain.
- Glion Feeagh 
- Ravens glen.
- Gob y creggagh [g3b e krega~].
- Point of the rocky-place. Adjectival creggagh, rocky, used as a locative.
- Gresby Treen.
- 1511-1643 Man. Roll.
- Sëand. Grasabyr, grass or pasture farm.( Manx Names).
- Gullet ny ghow.
- 1850 Par. Reg.
- The gullet (small creek) of the oxen.
- Hampton Court.
- 1703 Man. Roll. John Hampton.
1831 Manx Sun Hampton Court.
- English. Formerly part of Ballachrink in Treen of Gresby.
- Horse Leap.
- English. This may be a translation of the Manx Lheimy chabbil, (i).
- Injebreck .
- Ingabrekka, Ingis Slope, (Moores Names). Also Injebreck River and Hill.
- Howe .
- 1725 Dioc. Reg. The Howe.
- Also called the Nunnery Howe, as it belongs to the Nunnery. Howe has the Old Eng. meaning here of high land near
the sea. v. Balnahowe in Kirk Christ Rushen.
- Jetty, The.
- On the south side of Douglas Harbour, Erected in 1837.
- Keeill Abban .
- 1429 Manx Statutes Killabane.
1735 Court Document. Kell Abban.
- Abbans church. now called St. Lukes. Under date March 16th in the Calender of Ængus we
find the following entry : Abbán, i.e. feast of the death of Abbán son of Hua Cormaic of Leinster.
Baldwin Fair, latterly held on Ash Wednesday, must have been formerly held on a date close to St. Abbans Day.
- This ancient church stood on the estate of Algare,q.v., and must have had a connection with the Tynwald Hill
- Keristal [kerostgal].
- Probably represents the old Norse name of the farm above : Skerjastaðr, rock farm. [v,
introduction in regard to prefixed s] Statr becomes stal in several Manx place-names. The coast-farm
above is called Ballacreggey (q.v.) which was either a translation of the Norse name, or was contemporary with
- Kewaigue [kjueg].
- 1747 Dioc. Reg. Kewage.
- This name contains a root-word which occurs extensively throughout the north of Ireland,cabh, ahollow.
cognate with Latin cavus, from whence Eng.cave. The Irish place-name form is usually cabhan, with
diminutive suffix -an, as in Cavan. Our Manx place-name contains the diminutive suffix -ag, -aig, -age, etc.,(Ir.
-og). Ir. Calihóg, Mx. Kewaig, little hollow, or, with extended meaning,
simply a hollow place. Ab. F.
- Kilkenny .
- Anciently part of the quarterland of Ballaglonney. An Irish place-name, Cill Cainnaighe, church of St.
Kenneth. A modern importation.
- Knock e troddan.
- 1643 Man. Roll.
1793 Manks Mercury.
- This was the ancient name of the quarterland of Castle Ward (q.v.). It is usually translated the hill of
the contest. Mx. Cronk y troddan. Knock has been preserved in Manx names through literary agencies. In the
Manx language the Irish cn became cr, as it has also become in Sc. Gael and in some Irish dialects.
- 1703 Man. Rolls.
- Mx. Liargec Breck, speckled slope or hillside.
- Lark Hill.
- Modern name.
- Little Ness.
- Little naze. Probably English.
- Lheeney ny Hown.
- 1793 Manks Mercury,
- Mx. Lheeannee ny hawin, the river of the meadow. Part of the quarterland of Algare.
- Lhergy Awhallan .
- Mx. Liargee aah whallian, slope of the whelps ford. V. A whallan.
- Nuns Chair.
- According to Train (History of the Isle of Man) there was a high rock, on the coast of the Howe, with two
depressions, one above the other, like elbow-chairs, in which nuns had to sit and do penance while the sea ebbed and flowed.
- Modern. Originally part of Cronk Bane. [see under Houses]
- 1703 Man. Roll. Ballaoates.
- Oates Farm. Prior to 1703 held by Michell Oates of Douglass.
- Pigeons Stream.
- 1833 Manks Adv. Struan Commaan.
- Mx~ Strooan Cholmane, Pigeons stream. "A place where bathers went into the sea."
- 1870 Ord. Sur. Map. Pisco.
1882 Browns Dir. Piscoe Top.
- The fanciful name of a small estate in Baldwin, formerly intack.
- Poalroash Miln.
- 1703 Man. Roll.
- v. Pulrose.
- Port-e-chee .
- This is usually translated Harbour of peace, If an old name it may be Purt ny shee, the fort
of the fairies. Port has two meanings in Irish : 1, a bank or landing place, or harbour, port or haven ;
2, a fortress or military station, a royal fort, a chieftains residence. There are the remains of an ancient
earthwork on the brow overlooking the main-road between the Quarter-bridge and Braddan, which probably at one time was
much more extensive than at present. One can well imagine the superstitious folk of a byegone age passing along the main-road
from Douglas to Peel on a moon-light night and seeing fairies dancing round this romantic spot. Irish sidh, Manx
shee, in place.names usually indicates places where the little people indulged in their nocturnal gambols. v.
Cronk ny shee, Hill of the Fairies, in Malew. Cloonshee in Roscommon, Fairy Meadow."
- Port Wailberry.
- v. Wailberry.
- Pulrose, .
- 1643 Man. Roll Poleroash.
1703 ,, ,, Poalroash.
- Mx. Poyll roish, pool of the wood.
- Purt ny Coan.
- This name on the Ord. Sur. Map should probably be Purt Coon, narrow.harbour.
- Quarter Bridge.
- The boundary between the quarterlandsof Ballabrooie and Ballaquayle, in the Treen of Douglas. This bridge spans the
Glass, which is here the boundary between the parishes of Kirk Braddan and Kirk Conchan.
- Quay, South.
- 1779 Cas. Rush. Papers How Side.
1811 George Woods South Quay.
18xi R.C.I.P. How Side.
- Called in Manx Chsu ny Howe. The South Quay still receives its Manx name by Manx speaking people.
The South Quay is in the Parish of Kirk Braddan, the river being the boundary.
- Quines Hill.
- Rabog .
- Scand. RIpvIk, rocky creek. v. Rheboeg in Kirk Christ Rushen.
- Roast More.
- 1703 Man. Roll.
- Mx. Resast mooar, big moor.
- Renscault .
- 1643 Man. Roll. Ren Scault.
1700 Dioc. Reg. Rineskald.
- Mx. Rheynn sheilt, split division. In Manx names rheynn often means a ridge,
as it does in this case.
- 1833 Manks Adv. Richmond Hill.
- Anciently part of the quarterland of Ballacubbon. A modern name, probably from the surname Richmond.
- Rose Hill.
- Formerly part of Ballachrink, Gresby. There is another place of the same name in the Treen of Ulyst, formerly part of
- Saddle Road, The.
- "At Kirby, is so called from a stone shaped like a saddle, whtch is fixed in the wall close by a stile. It is
supposed to have been used by the fairies in their nocturnal equestrian excursions Manx Names
- Sea View.
- Anciently part of Ballacrink, Gresby.
- 1703 Man, Roll.
- Mx. Shenn voayl, old place or spot.
- Sir Georges Bridge.
- Named after Sir George Drinkwater, a former Mayor of Liverpool, who
settled in the parish of Kirk Braddan. Mr. George Drinkwater of Kirby Park, a descendant, says : "The road by the Abbeylands
was a favourite drive of his and as there was no bridge he had to drive over the ford or be stopped by the floods. When
the bridge was constructed Sir George gave £100 towards it and hence it was called after him."
- Skillion, Port .
- 1870 Ord. Sur. Map Port Skilleig.
- Scand. SkeljarvIk, shell creek. Port, harbour, is a later addition. [see under
- 1780 Lib. Episc. Snugg Burrow.
1785 ,, ,, Snugborough.
- Apparently English snug borough, where the latter element is used to denote a farm. v. Cronk Dhoo.
- Soderick, Port .
- 1772 Fish Tythe Port Soltrick, Purt Saudrick.
1787 Par. Reg. Port Sattrick.
- The older form suggests Scand. SÓlvIk, sunny creek, rather than the usually accepted
SulSrvIb, south creek. [see under Gazatteer]
- 1703 Man. Roll. Robert Hampton.
- v. Ballaquiggin.
- Spring Hill,
- 1830 Manks Adv.
- v. Ballabeg.
- Spring Valley.
- 1830 Manks Adv.
- Stack Indigo.
- v. Scand. stakkr elsewhere. The second element is obscure. Perhaps from the colour of the surrounding
- Strang 
- 1736 Dioc. Reg. Strangford.
1737 ,, ,, Strannford.
1741 ,, ,, Strangford.
1793 Manks Mercury
- Now the Mental Hospital estate. Probably named by an Irishman, and a native of
Strangford. Joyce says that "The Danes had a settlement somewhere near the shore of Strangford Lough, in the 9th and 10th
centuries, and it was these who gave it the very appropriate name of Strangford, which means strongford from the
well-known tidal currents at the entrance, which render its navigation so dangerous."
- Testraw Treen.
- 1511 Man. Roll. Testro.
1703 ,, ,, Testraw.
- The meaning is obscure. The same name occurs in Kirk Arbory where I have given no derivation. It may be Scand. TeigstrO~,
from teigr, a strip of field or meadowland ; a close or paddock ; and trbL a piece
of fallow-land where cattle are kept grazing.
- Thweites Meadow.
- 1808 Deed.
- Near Ballaughton.
- Ulican .
- 1643, 1703 Man. Roll. Owlican.
1735 Dioc. Reg. Ulican.
- Probably the same name occurs in Kirk Santan [Ellican] , and Kirk Arbory [Welkin] . It seems to be a
diminutive of Ir. uiadh, a tomb, cairn ; and later a penitential station,
i.e. where a stone altar was erected usually over the tomb of some saintly person as a place of devotion.
It is not far from Keeill Abban.
- v. also Naish.
- 1734 Dioc. Reg. Virginy.
1742 Paroch. Visit.
- Probably named by some traveller who had returned to his native Isle from Virginia, U.S.A. Formerly part of Ballacaroon,
- Wallberry .
- Scand. Vaiaberg, hawks cliff. Where hawks or falcons bred. Valeberg in Norway.
- Whing, The.
- Locative form of Mx. coon, narrow. Applied to a deep narrow gorge or pass. The name of a gorge between
Douglas and Port Soderick.
- White Hoe .
- 1793 Manks Mercury White Hoe.
- 1830 Manks Adv. Whit toe, Whittoe. From Old Eng. hwit hoh, white ridge or hill. Imported from