[From Old Church Plate,1907]
A PLAIN silver Beaker, slightly tapering, the lip and base moulded. It is inscribed in roman capitals in an oval cartouche surrounded by engraved scrolls, foliations, etc., and surmounted by a cherub:
Dublin date-letter for 1708-9-10. Maker's mark, IH, with crown above, in a shaped shield (John Hamilton).
Height, 4 in.; diameter, 3¼ in.
This Beaker was given in 1714 by Jo. Holroyd, Esq. He is believed to have been a friend of Bishop Wilson.
A plain silver Paten on foot, inscribed in script lettering:
Dublin date-letter for 1708-9-10. Maker's mark illegible. Diameter, 5 5/8 in.; height, 1 5/8 in.
This Paten was given to this Church by Madam Elizabeth Wybrants, who is believed to have been a friend of Bishop Wilson. (Plate X., No. 1.) [William Wybrants of Ballashott (Ballahot) gave £5 towards Wilson's Library - his family and that of his wife were Dublin based - her brother was a fellow at Trinity]
A tall Pewter Flagon, with an upright cylindrical body, moulded lip, flat cover, plain scrolled handle, and a moulded base.
Inscribed in large roman capitals:
Height, 10½ in.
Probably of Dublin make.
A circular Alms Dish of Pewter, 12½in. in diameter. Date, circa 1710. Probably of Dublin make.
The donor of the pewter Flagon and Alms Dish was probably Mr. Philip Hooper, Steward of the Bishop's Court Estate during the episcopate of Bishop Wilson. He also gave a Bible, Common Prayer, a Dish, two pewter Plates, which are now at Kirk Michael, and an Alms Bason. The Alms Bason has disappeared. All these gifts were presented at the consecration of the Church on S. Peter's Day, 1714 (though the Flagon is dated 1711), and are recorded in the Parish Register in Bishop Wilson's own handwriting. The Bishop himself gave the pulpit, reading desk, Communion table and rails, and the Clerk's desk. The first Vicar appointed was the Rev. Matthias Curghy.
An Elizabethan silver Beaker, engraved near the curved lip with a plain intersecting double strap-work band filled with conventional foliage, a spray of three roses suspending from each intersection. On the edge of the foot is an ovolo moulding. There is no inscription. It bears the London date-letter for 1591-2, and the maker's mark is a double-headed eagle displayed, with the initials TS above, as on two silver-gilt Flagons, dated 1587-8, at S. Mary Woolnoth, London, and on a parcel-gilt Beaker of the date 1602-3, at S. Giles', Cripplegate, London. Its height is 61/8 in. ; diameter at mouth, 35/8 in.; diameter at foot, 35/16 in. (Plate iii.)
A large Commonwealth silver Chalice with beaker-shape bowl, the surface matted, supported by a tall baluster stem on plain splayed foot. This inscription is engraved in an oval cartouche :
Peelæ in Insula Monne
D D D Suus Humilis Minis-
In an oval cartouche on the opposite side, a shield of arms the arms of the See: . . the Virgin Mary standing on three ascents, supporting on the dexter a church all proper. In base the arms of the Island, surmounted by a mitre, impaling the arms of the donor, Bishop Henry Bridgeman ten plates, four, three, two, and one, on a chief a lion passant . . and a crescent.
London date-letter for 1650-1. Maker's mark, a hound sejant in a shaped shield, as on Communion plate at Rochester Cathedral.
Height,11 in.; depth of bowl, 4¾ in. ; diameter of mouth, 5 in. Weight marked, 35 oz. 8 dwt. (Plate iv.)
The donor of this fine Chalice and the Paten Cover was Henry, third son of John Bridgeman, who was Bishop of Chester in 1619. He was Dean of Chester in 1660, and succeeded Isaac Barrow, on this prelate's translation to St. Asaph, in the Bishopric of Sodor and Man, which he held from 1671 until his death in 1682. It will be observed that the Chalice was given the year before his appointment as Bishop.
A Commonwealth silver Flagon, with tall, plain, cylindrical body, moulded lip, the foot spreading out from a plain moulding, the scrolled handle terminating in a tongue-shaped shield. In front, within a double-lined oval cartouche, the standing figure of Christ, represented as the Good Shepherd, has been engraved by a contemporary artist. The original flat cover has been superseded by a tall domed cover, surmounted by a vase-shape knob.
London date-letter for 1653-4. Maker's mark is probably TL with rose between two pellets above, in ornamental circular cartouche.
Height to top of cover, 11 7/8 in.; body, 9½ in.; diameter of mouth, 4½ in.; diameter of foot, 7¼ in. (Plate iv.)
A plain silver Paten Cover, inscribed on the foot:
Eclesiae St. Germani."
Bishop Bridgeman's arms, . . ten plates, four, three, two, and one, on a chief . . a lion passant . ., are engraved in the centre.
There are no marks. Date, circa 1665. Diameter, 5¼ in. ; height, 17/8 in.
A plain silver Beaker, on a moulded foot, inscribed in two lines:
" The Gift of John Crane.
Renewed by Captain Philip Cowell."
The only mark is that of an unknown maker, IW, in an oblong. Probable date, about 1710.
Height, 6 5/16 in.; diameter of mouth, 3½ in,
"The very large silver Chalice given by Lady Moore," wife of Sir George Moore, Knt., Speaker of the House of Keys from 1763 to 1780, mentioned in Church Notes in the Diocese of Sodor and Man, by W. Harrison, vol, xxix. of the Manx Society's Publications, has unhappily disappeared.
There is here a plain silver Chalice with inverted bell-shape bowl, supported by a tall slender stem divided by a narrow plain moulding, and resting on a splayed foot. It is inscribed in roman lettering within a wreath of palm leaves:
"Thos. Wilson, D.D.,
Thos. Lord Bishop of
SODOR & MAN
humbly offers this Chalice
for the Use of the Altar
of K.K. Michael, ye Place
of his Nativity 1755"
London date-letter for 1754-5. Maker's mark, FW, with pellet between, in a shaped shield the mark of Fuller White. Height, 81/16 in.; diameter of mouth, 37/8 in. (Plate vii.) The donor was born at Bishop's Court, in the Isle of Man. He was Prebendary of Westminster in 1743, Rector of S. Margaret's, Westminster, 1753, Rector of S. Stephen's, Walbrook, where he is buried, from 1737 until his death in 1784. He was noted for his great benevolence, and in this Island he will be remembered for his benefactions to the Church. He rebuilt the chancel of Kirk Michael Church in 1776, and he gave several pieces of Communion plate, including the silver Beaker and Dish at S. Paul's, Ramsey, and the silver Beaker at Kirk Lonan.
A tall pewter Flagon, with domed cover and tapering cylindrical body, 13 in. high. No inscription.
Date, circa 1750.
A circular Bowl and Cover of pewter, inscribed :
" KK. MICHAEL 1759."
Diameter, 8½ in.; depth, 4 in.
A similar Bowl and Cover are at Kirk Bride. Two pewter Plates, inscribed:
" S. PATRICK 1711"
Diameter, 8 in.
These two plates originally belonged to Kirk Patrick, and formed part of the gift of Mr. Philip Hooper to that Church.
In this Church are two plain silver Chalices with oviform bowls supported by splayed feet with reeded edges. There are no inscriptions or initials to indicate whether they were given to this Church or purchased by the parishioners. They have the London date-letter for 1795-6, and the maker's mark, RG, in a rectangular shield with scalloped edges.
Height, 6 in. (Plate xiv., No. 2.)
The comparative newness of these cups is explained by the fact that, according to a note in the parish register of Marown, the older ones are said to have been stolen in " Mr. Howard's time," and that popular opinion charged the local watchmaker with this sacrilegious act, and in consequence he "died miserably forsaken by God and man."
The silver Chalice here is an interesting and, in the Isle of Man, unique example of a pre-Reformation Chalice of the type prevailing from about the year 1510 until 1525. It has a plain conical bowl, broad and shallow, with plain hexagonal stem, with hollow-chamfered mouldings at the junctions, divided by a large ornate knop, on which are six diamond-shape projections decorated with angel faces. A rudely-engraved representation of the Crucifixion appears on the foot, which is sexfoil in form and has a border of delicately-chased foliage. It bears the London date-letter for 1521-2, and a maker's mark two links of a chain as on a Paten of 1509-10 at Great Hockham, Thetford, and on another, of 1521-2, at Great Waltham, Essex. Its dimensions arc: Height, 7 in.; depth of bowl,115/16; in.; diameter, 4 3/16 in.; greatest diameter of foot, 4 11/16 in. (Plate i.)
Five other pre-Reformation silver Chalices of this type have escaped destruction. the first, with the same maker's mark as on this Chalice, now in S. Mary's Roman Catholic Church at Leyland in Lancashire, but formerly in the Parish Church at Leyland; the second at S. Sampson's, Guernsey; the third at Corpus Christi College, Oxford; the fourth, dated 1527-8, said to have been found in Iceland, now in the South Kensington Museum; and the fifth is in a private collection.
[see also Manx Soc vol 15]
The old plate in this Church is entirely of pewter, and consists of a Flagon, Dish, and Bowl with cover. The Flagon has an upright cylindrical body, a short spout, splayed base, domed cover, and a scrolled thumb-piece. It is inscribed in script lettering in two lines :
" Heb : 13 . 2o The Blood of the Everlasting &c.
1. In°. 1 .7 Cleanseth us from all sin."
Above the inscription, the sacred letters, IHS, within a halo, are engraved.
Height to top of cover, 10½ in. ; height of body only, 9¼ in. ; diameter of mouth, 5 in. (Plate xvii., No. 2.)
The large circular Dish is 15 in. in diameter, and is inscribed on the flat rim in roman capitals:
" KK BRIDE 1759."
The circular Bowl has a short moulded base, and a slightly domed cover with an acorn-shape knob. It is inscribed in script lettering in one line:
"The Poor ye have always with you."
Diameter of Bowl, 85/8 in. ; height, 3 in. ; height to top of knob, 53/8 in.
Both the Flagon and the Bowl may be said to date from circa 1759. The Bowl appears to have been intended solely for the receipt of alms, not for baptismal purposes, as its shape would seem to indicate. A similar Bowl and cover, dated 1759, are at Kirk Michael.
The parish register of Marown contains a note that a silver Cup was stolen from this Church some years ago.
The old plate here consists of two silver Chalices. The earlier of the two has a plain, tapering, beaker-shape bowl, on which is a rudely engraved representation of the Crucifixion, with the sacred letters, IHS, in roman capitals, above, and this inscription below: " Andreas Cristi famulus." A twisted rope moulding encircles the edge of the base of the bowl, which is supported by a short vase-shape six-lobed and notched stem, on a plain splayed foot. The only mark stamped on it is SH, with a flower below, in a heart-shape shield the niark of an unknown silversmith, probably a provincial craftsman. From the form and general appearance of this Chalice, its date may be assigned to the fourth quarter of the seventeenth century, circa 1685. Its dimensions are : Height, 5½ in. ; depth of bowl, 37/16 in.; diameter of mouth, 33/16 in. (Plate viii., No. i.)
The other Chalice is tall and plain, with an inverted bell-shape bowl, standing on a stem divided by a plain knop, and resting on a moulded foot. It is inscribed on the bowl in script lettering: " Parish of KK Andreas." The marks stamped on it are the Sheffield date-letter for 1820-1, and the maker's mark, IW, with pellet between, in a rectangular cartouche the mark of John Watson. Its height is 8 in., and the diameter of mouth 43/16 in. (Plate viii., No. 1.)
Two tall, plain silver Chalices with inverted bell-shape bowls, the lips moulded, supported by stems divided by depressed reeded knops, resting on moulded bases with reeded edges. Inscribed in roman capitals:
" FOR THE USE OF
CHRIST CHURCH LEZAYRE
Both bear the London date-letter for 1793-4, and the maker's mark, SH, in a rectangular shield. Height, 8¼in.; diameter of mouth, 43/16 in.
A plain silver Paten with wide flat rim, standing on a short truncated stem. There is no inscription, and the only mark, which is indecipherable and repeated three times, is that of the maker. Its date is circa 1685. Diameter, 65/16 in. ; width of rim, in. ; height, 1 7/8 in.
Bishop Hildesley (1755-1772), to whose generosity the Church in the Isle of Man owes so much, complained bitterly of the lamentable condition not only of the fabrics them selves, but also of the contents of the Churches, and at Lezayre he deplored the lack of a Dish for the service of the Communion, an Offertory Bason, and the neglected state of the Flagon. The Flagon, which was probably of pewter, is, however, no longer in this Church.
A plain silver Chalice with oviform bowl, moulded lip, on a short stem, with moulded base. It is inscribed in an oval cartouche in script lettering: .
And on the opposite side, in a similar cartouche :
" K K Maughold
London date-letter for 1812-13. Maker's mark illegible. Height, 513/16 in. (Plate xiii.)
A silver domestic Salver in use as a Paten, with gadroon border, the centre engraved with scrolls, standing on three feet formed of a claw, scrolls, roses, and shells. Inscribed :
" DONUM REVERENDI BOWYER HARRISON
VICAR OF MAUGHOLD
London date-letter for 1819-20. Maker's mark, I E D. in a square.
Diameter, 8¼ in.
The donor was Vicar of Maughold from 1818 until his death in 1871.
A pewter Flagon (I), with plain cylindrical body, spreading base, moulded lip, short spout, scrolled handle, and domed cover, with solid scrolled thumb-piece, inscribed:
"The Gift of Mrs. Margret Taubman to ye Altar of God in the New Chappell of Ramsea A.D. 1746."
Height to top of cover, 11 in. ; body only, 9¼ in.; diameter of mouth, 4¼ in. ; diameter of base, 7¼ in.
No marks. (Plate xvii., No. 1.)
A pewter Flagon (2), with cylindrical body, a moulding encircling it, moulded base, short spout, domed cover, plain solid thumb-piece, and scrolled handle. No marks or inscription.
Height to top of cover, 104 in.; body only, 84 in. ; diameter of mouth, 44 in.
A large circular pewter Paten, on moulded foot, inscribed in roman capitals in one line:
THIS THIS PATEN BELONGS YE PARISH XCH. OF KK MAVGHALL HENY ALLEN VICAR."
Marks : (I)
with a sheaf and an animal rampant.
Diameter, 133/8 in. ; height, 3¾ in.
Henry Allen was Vicar of Maughold from 1727 until 1746. He died in 1748, when he was succeeded by his son. His father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and great-great-grandfather had preceded him as Vicars of this parish, the dynasty of this family lasting in unbroken succession for one hundred and twenty-eight years, from 1625 until 1753.
Two small pewter Patens on moulded feet, inscribed in script lettering in a circle:
"The Gift of Mrs. Margret Taubman to the Alter of God in the New Chappell of Ramsea, A.D. 1746."
One is stamped with three marks in small shields (I) Lion rampant; (2) fleur-de-lys ; (3) CR.
Diameter, 8½ in.; height, 2 in.
A large pewter Alms Dish with flat rim, inscribed:
" The Gift of Mrs. Margret Taubman to the Altar of God in the New Chappel of Ramsea, Anno Domini 1746." It is stamped with four marks in small shields: (1) Fleur-de-lys ; (2) lion rampant; (3) fleur-de-lys ; (4) illegible. Diameter, 14 in.
The donor of the two pewter Patens and Alms Dish was probably the daughter and heiress of Captain Nicholas Christian, of Ballure, who married Deemster John Taubman.
This new chapel was known as the Chapel of Ballure S. Catherine, and built in the parish of Maughold by Bishop Wilson, and consecrated by him in 1747.
A fine old silver Beaker, partially gilt, engraved near the lip with a double, plain, interlaced strap-work band, filled with conventional sprays of foliage, large sprays of similar foliation suspending from each intersection. The base has a vertical reeded moulding. It is inscribed in rude black letters
" Tho. Sodor & Man
Tho. Wilson S.T.P.
Ramsea Chapel A. D. 1747."
On it are stamped three marks T, a crowned lion rampant, and L in separate, shaped shields. It is probably of Dutch work, wrought at Utrecht at the end of the sixteenth or the beginning of the seventeenth century. Height, 5 3/8 in. (Plate vi., No. 2)
Another silver Beaker here, though not old, is worthy of mention as having been the gift of Thomas Vowler Short, Bishop of Sodor and Man from 1841 to 1846, when he was translated to St. Asaph. This is engraved with arabesques, and is inscribed:-
Deo Deo et Altari Capellae de Ramsea Manens Sacrum
Thos. Vowler Sodor & Man."
The Paten in use here takes the form of an old silver sweetmeat dish, circular in shape, with fluted and scalloped border. In the centre the sacred symbols, IHS, a cross and three nails in a halo, are engraved, and surrounded by this inscription :-
" Deo & Altari Capellae de Ramsea Manens Sacrum."
It is inscribed on the back:-
" Ex Devotionibus Patris & Fillii Ille. THO SODOR & MAN EPISCOPVS : Hic THO. WILLSON, S.T.P. Sti Stephani de Walbroke Rector Regiae Majestatis a Sacris, & Eccles Chathed. Westmonist. Prebendarius."
It bears the London date-letter for 1718-19. Maker's mark illegible. Diameter, 65/8 in.
The Beaker and Paten Dish were given at the consecration of this chapel in 1747 by Thomas Wilson, son of Bishop Wilson, who also gave the interesting silver Chalice at Kirk Michael and the silver Beaker and pewter Flagon and Plates at Kirk Lonan. The chaplain at the consecration was Thomas Woods, a kinsman of the Bishop's old friend, the Rev. John Woods, Vicar-General, and one of his alumni.
A large, plain silver Beaker, with curved lip, inscribed: " DEO ET ALTARI STI LONANI SACRVM. Ex devotionibus Thomae Wilson Mannensis, A. M. Thomæ, Episcopi Sodorensis Filii Die Consecrationis Hujus Ecclesiæ 1735."
Marks illegible. Maker's mark, IG, a mullet between, in trefoil. Height, 57/8 in. (Plate x., No. 2.)
A plain silver Paten, with narrow moulded edge, on plain truncated stem, engraved with TAR in a double monogram in an oval cartouche surrounded by engraved foliage, scrolls, etc., and this inscription:
" Deo Sacrum
ECCLESIA STI. LONANI."
London date-letter for 1722-3. Maker's mark illegible. Diameter, 57/8 in.; height, 1¾ in. (Plate x., No. 2.)
A pewter Flagon, with tall cylindrical body, short spout, spreading base, domed cover with vase-shape knob, scrolled thumb-piece, and plain scrolled handle. Inscribed:
" DEO ET ALTARI ECCLESLIAE STI LONANI SACRVM
Ex devotionibus Thomae Wilson Mannensis A.M.
Thomae Episcopi Sodorensis Filii 1735."
No marks. Date, circa 1735.
Height to top of cover, 15 in. ; body only, 12¼ in.; diameter of mouth, 5 in.; foot, 8 in. (Plate xix., No. 2.)
A large circular pewter Plate, 12 in. in diameter, with the same inscription as on the Flagon.
No marks. Date, circa 1735.
A smaller pewter Plate, without inscription, 93/8 in. in diameter.
Another pewter Plate, with same inscription as on the Flagon, 87/8 in. in diameter.
A pewter cover of a bowl, inscribed "KK Lonon, S.G.V." The bowl is missing. This probably resembled the covered bowls at Kirk Bride and Kirk Michael.
The silver Beaker and the pewter Flagon and two Plates were given by Thomas Wilson, D.D., son of Bishop Wilson, at the dedication of the new church at Kirk Lonan, March 25th, 1735. He also gave a silver Chalice to Kirk Michael, and a silver Beaker and Dish to S. Paul's, Ramsey.
A Charles I. plain silver Chalice, with V-shape bowl, supported by a baluster stem, on splayed foot. No inscription. London date-letter for 1637-8 ; maker's mark, IB, with pellet between, buckle below, in shaped shield (? J. Buckle).
Height, 59/16 in. (Plate vi., No. i.)
A George III. plain silver Chalice, an exact copy of the previous Chalice. No inscription. London date-letter for 1802-3. Maker's mark illegible.
Height, 5 9/16 in.
A plain circular silver Salver, George III., with shaped shell border, on three feet. No inscription. London date-letter for 1804-5. Maker's mark, HS in an oblong (Henry Sardet). Diameter, 79/16 in. (Plate vi., No. 1.)
A pewter Flagon, with tapering cylindrical body, moulded lip and base, spout, flat cover, scrolled thumb-piece, and scrolled handle, inscribed:
" DUGGLESS C."
A pewter Dish or Plate, with wide flat rim, engraved with the initials, IAm. (Plate xix., No. 1.)
Two pewter Patens, mentioned in vol xxix., published in 1879, of the Manx Society's Publications, are missing from this Church.
A plain silver Chalice with inverted bell-shape bowl, a plain knop in centre of the tall stem, the foot moulded. Inscribed : " KK. BRADON 1757.'
London date-letter for 1756-7. Maker's mark illegible. Height, g in. (Plate v.)
A silver Goblet, with oviform bowl; the rim on the lip is engraved with Greek fret-work pattern, and the lower part of bowl is engraved with acanthus foliage. The stem is plain, and the foot has a gadroon moulding. It is inscribed in an oval cartouche :
" Presented by
I. C. CURWEN ESQR M.P.
President of the Workington
ISLE OF MAN
A Member of the House of Keys
to .......... for
the best Cultivated Farm
in the said Island."
London date-letter for 1807-8. Maker's mark, R s, with pellet between, in a square (Wm. Burwash and Richd. Sibley). Height, 6½ in.
John Christian Curwen (1756-1828), a distinguished Manxman, was Member of Parliament for the City of Carlisle in 1786, and later for West Cumberland. He did much to foster agricultural improvements in his native Island by the establishment of agricultural societies and other practical means, and this Cup was no doubt presented to this Church by the winner of a prize in the Manx branch of the Workington society [see Notes to Bullock's History]. The cup is engraved with the Curwen arms: Quarterly, 1-4 arg. fretty gules, a chief az. (Curwen), 2-3 a demi-mascle between three covered cups or, with an inescutcheon. Quarterly, r-4. Curwen, 2-3 azure a lion rampant argent charged with five lozenges gules (Lc Brun). Crest a unicorn's head erased. Motto Si Je n'estoy.
A small plain silver Beaker, on short moulded foot, and moulded lip, inscribed:
" The Gift of P.M. to KK Braddan 1745." No marks. Height, 24 in.
The donor of this Beaker was a noted Manxman, the Rev. Philip Moore, Rector of Bride and Chaplain of S. Matthew's, Douglas, Master of Douglas Grammar School, and chaplain to his great friend, Bishop Wilson.
A Charles II. large plain silver Tankard, with moulded lip and base, flat cover, scrolled handle, and double volute thumb-piece. On the shoulder of handle the initials of the original owners, W K * M are engraved. The names of the owners cannot, unfortunately, be traced. It bears the London date-letter for 1675-6, and the makers mark, TK. with pellet between, a flower below, in plain shield.
Height to top of cover, 6 in. ; body only, 55/8 in. ; diameter of mouth, 5 in. (Plate v.)
A Queen Anne plain silver Paten, with narrow moulded edge, standing on a moulded truncated stem. No inscription. London date-letter for 1705-6. Maker's mark, St Pe in black letters in a plain shield. (Jno. W. Stocker & Edw. Peacock.)
Diameter, 7 in. ; height, 2 in. (Plate v.)
A tall pewter Flagon, with tapering cylindrical body, a moulding encircling body, moulded lip and foot, domed cover, pierced scroll thumb-piece, an acanthus leaf applied to the shoulder of the scrolled handle. No marks.
Height to top of cover, 11 in. ; body only, 9½ in. ; . diameter of mouth, 41/8 in.
A large circular pewter Dish, with flat rim. No marks. l5å in, in diameter. (Plate xviii., No. 2.)
A plain silver Chalice, 74 in. high, with beaker-shape bowl, supported by a stem divided by a plain knop, resting on a moulded base. It is inscribed in script lettering in one line: The The Guift of Major Charls Nicholson to the Chappel of Douglas in the Isle of Man 1710."
The bowl and the inside edge of the base are stamped with these maker's marks,SH,
in oblong shields, twice repeated.
The " sterling" mark a guarantee of quality was adopted at Cork between 1710 and 1719, and was used by Limerick goldsmiths at the end of the eighteenth century. Chester silversmiths of the end of the seventeenth century also stamped plate with this mark. No name of a goldsmith with these initials appears in the valuable list of Cork goldsmiths given in Mr. Jackson's book, English Goldsmiths and their Marks, and therefore the place of origin of this Chalice, though probably Cork, must for the present remain uncertain. (Plate IX.)
Another plain silver Chalice, 75/16 in. high, of similar style, inscribed in black letters in three lines:
St. Matthews Chapel
Chester date-letter for 1790-1. Maker's mark, IH, with pellet between, in an oblong (? Isaac Hadwine, of Liverpool).
A small plain silver Beaker, with tapering body, curved lip, and moulded base, inscribed :
" ELIZ : MURREY Sacello Douglasiensi Donavit
Chester date-letter for 1741-2. Maker's mark, RR, in a plain shield (Richard Richardson).
A large plain silver Flagon, with cylindrical body, short spout, moulded base, domed cover, leaf and scroll thumb-piece, and on the shoulder of the scrolled handle is a notched "rat tail." It is inscribed in script lettering in two lines:
" The Gift of John and Susanna Murrey to the Chaple of Duglas Isle of Man 1727."
Dublin date-letter for 1728-9. Maker's mark, DK, with crown above, in an oval cartouche (David King).
Height to top of cover, 12 in. ; body only, 10 in. ; diameter of mouth, 43/8 in. ; diameter of base, 8 in. Weight, 58 oz. 8 dwts. Susannah Murrey, or Murray, neë Patten, was a cousin of Bishop Wilson's wife. Her husband, John Murrey, was a prominent Manx merchant, and son of John Murrey, who issued the first Manx coinage in 1668 a brass token of the value of a penny, with his name on and who gave a clock to S. Matthew's in 1709.
A large plain circular silver Dish, with wide flat rim, on which is inscribed in script lettering:
"The Gift of David and Susanna Egwin to Douglass Chappell 1740."
Dublin marks, no date-letter. Maker's mark, T.W., with pellet between, in a shaped shield (Thos. Williamson).
Date, circa 1740. Diameter, 105/8 in.
Susanna Egwin was a daughter of John and Susanna Murrey. She was married to David Egwin, or Aigoin, by Bishop Wilson in 1739.
A domestic silver Salver, plain centre, with shaped and shell border, on three feet. The sacred letters, I.H.S., and this inscription are engraved in the centre:
" SACROSANTO  IN EUCHARISTIA.
The Gift of David Murrey & Margt his
wife to Douglass Chap'."
London date-letter for 1741-2. Maker's mark, RA, in script capitals, with pellet between, in a double-lobed shield (Robt. Abercromby).
Diameter, 7½ in.
David Murrey was probably a son of John and Susanna Murrey, the donors of the Flagon. (Plate ix.)
" Douglass Chapel " was built mainly from funds collected from the Earl of Derby and others by Bishop Wilson, who was himself a liberal subscriber. It was consecrated on the 21St September, 1708.
A massive plain silver Communion Service, consisting of two Chalices, two small Patens, a large Paten, Alms Dish, Flagon, and Spoon. The Chalices, which are alike, and have oviform bowls, moulded lips, vase-shape stems, and moulded bases, are inscribed on the bases :
" DOUGLASS NEW CHAPEL
Engraved with sacred symbols, IHS, cross and three nails in a halo.
London date-letter for 1776-7. Maker's mark, FK, in script capitals in an oblong. Height, 813/16 in. (Plate xvi.)
The large Paten has a gadroon border, and is supported by a trumpet-shape stem, with moulded edge; the sacred symbols as on the Chalices are engraved in the centre, and this inscription in roman capitals on the foot :
" DOUGLASS NEW CHAPEL 1777."
Same marks as on the Chalices. Diameter, 11 in.; height, 4¼ in. Weight, 29 oz. 7 dwts.
The circular Alms Dish has a gadroon border, the sacred letters IHS within a halo are engraved on the rim, and also the same inscription as on the Chalices and Paten ; same marks. Diameter, 1 1 in. Weight, 22 oz. 4 dwts.
The tall Flagon has a tapering cylindrical body, moulded lip and base, a plain moulding encircling the body near the base, a domed cover, double scroll thumb-piece, and a scrolled handle. The sacred symbols as on the Chalices are engraved in the centre, and this inscription in script lettering on the base : " DOUGLASS NEW CHAPEL
London date-letter for 1776-7. Maker's mark, CW, in an oblong (Chas. Wright).
Height to top of cover, 149/16 in.; ; body only, 125/16 in; ; diameter of mouth, 4¾ in.
The two small Patens have moulded edges and plain feet. No inscriptions or symbols.
Same marks as on the Chalices. Diameter, 47/8 in. ; height, 1 3/16 in.
A silver Spoon, with oval bowl, a cross at the end of the flat, square stem, inscribed :
" 1878 St George's Communion Service."
Maker's mark, RS, in an oblong.
Length, 4¾ in.
A tradition has been handed down to successive sextons of this Church that the donor of this Service was John, fourth Duke of Atholl. The sovereignty of the Isle of Man passed to James Murray, second Duke of Atholl, in 1736, on failure of the heirs male of the sixth Earl of Derby, and on the death of Lady Harriet Ashburnham, only daughter of Lord Ashburnham. The second Duke's maternal grandmother was Amelia Sophia Stanley, third daughter of the seventh Earl of Derby.
A large plain silver Beaker, the body slightly curved, the base moulded. It is engraved with this inscription, enclosed in a cartouche formed of scrolls, clusters of flowers, etc., surmounted by a cherub's head:
No marks. Date, circa 1703.
Height, 55/16 in.; diameter of mouth, 41/8 in.
A small plain silver Beaker, bell shape, with moulded lip and short foot. No inscription. French work, circa 1730. Height, 2¾in. ; diameter of mouth, 2½ in.
A plain, silver Paten, with moulded edge, inscribed:
" Ecclesim St. Rumi Mannesis Sacrum 1759.
The Gift of the Rev. John Christian, Vicar "
The donor was Vicar from 1753 to 1779
Date, circa 1750. Marks illegible. (Plate viii., No. 2.)
At a visitation of Archdeacon Hall, on the 30th August, 1841, the Sacramental plate of this Church consisted of a "very small silver Cup and Paten, a Flagon presumably pewter and a pewter Plate, in addition to the vessels here now, but these have, unfortunately, since disappeared.
A very curious and probably unique old silver Beaker, with curved body, narrow moulded lip, inscribed in rude roman capitals :
" KK ST ANNE 1758."
It is engraved on the flat bottom with this inscription " THOS APPLEBY Faecit DUGLIS," and his initials, TA, in a rectangular cartouche, are roughly stamped three times.
Height, 4¼ in.; diameter of mouth, 3¾ in.; base, 39/16 in. This Beaker was made, as the inscription indicates, by a Douglas craftsman, and is therefore of the highest value and interest. All attempts at discovering his exact trade have, unfortunately, proved unsuccessful. (Plate xii.).
There is also in this Church a massive silver Service, consisting of a Chalice, Paten, Flagon, and Alms Dish, all engraved with the sacred symbols, IHS, cross and three nails in glory. The Chalice has an inverted bell-shape bowl, supported by a tall stem on a circular base, with fluted edge. It is inscribed in script lettering on the base:
"Dedicated to the Service of God at the Altar of the Parish Church of St. Anne, by Mrs. Ann Bacon, widow of the late Jn°. Jo's. Bacon Esqre. and daughter of the late Revd Jos. Cosnahan of Seafield, alias Balla Villa, on Christmas Day, A.D. 1832." (Plate xiii.) London date-letter for 1832-3. Maker's mark, WE, in an oblong (probably Wm. Eaton).
Height, 7¾ in.
The plain Paten has a fluted border, on short foot, and is engraved with the same inscription as on the Chalice. Same date-letter and maker's mark.
Diameter, 6 in.; height, 2 in.
The tall cylindrical Flagon has a plain body, a moulding encircling it near the base, the edge of foot fluted, an applied acanthus leaf on the spout, the edges of the domed cover fluted, shell thumb-piece, and hollow scrolled handle. Engraved with same inscription as on the Chalice.
London date-letter for 1824-5. Same maker's mark as on Chalice.
Height to top of cover, 11¾in. ; body only, 10¼ in. ; diameter of mouth, 4½ in. ; diameter of foot, 7 in.
The Alms Dish has a plain sunk centre and fluted border, and is engraved with same inscription as on the Chalice, and has the same marks.
The donor was the daughter and heiress of the Rev. Joseph Cosnahan, Vicar of Braddan, and owner of Seafield, Santon. She married John Joseph Bacon, Captain in the 95th Regiment.
A medieval silver Paten, with sexfoil depression, filled with a rudely engraved vernicle or face of the Saviour, surrounded by long, straight-sided rays, a small radiating ornament filling the spandrels between the lobes. The flat rim is inscribed in small black-letter characters, the words divided by Gothic foliage :
" SANCTE LUPE ORA PRO NOBIS." There are no marks.
Date, circa 1525.
Diameter, 55/8 in. (Plate ii.)
Three other examples of English silver Patens of similar type are known, one at Cliffe Church in Kent, with an enamelled representation of the Holy Trinity in the centre, and the rim engraved with the legend, " Benedicamus patrem et filium cum spirito sancto " ; another, dated 1527-8, at Trinity College, Oxford, with vernicle in the centre, and this legend on the rim, " Calicim salutaris accipiam et nomine Domine in vocabo " ; and the third, dated 1521-2, at Great Waltham, Essex, with the same legend as the Paten at Cliffe, and has the same maker's mark as the Chalice at Jurby.
Two plain silver Chalices, with oviform bowls supported by plain stems on circular bases with beaded edges. They are engraved with a shield of arms, probably those of an unknown donor: sable, three pheons . . . with an inescutcheon, Quarterly, 1 and 3, gules, a lion rampant . . . , 2 and 4, argent, three boars' heads cabossed
London date-letter for 1781-2. Maker's mark illegible. Height, 511/16 in. (Plate xiv., No. i.)
This Church contains portions of two medieval relics, namely, a Crucifix and the top of a Thurible, both of latten a mixed metal resembling brass, much used in medieval ecclesiastical vessels and ornaments. (Plate xx.)
Some old pewter Dishes and a Flagon have been alienated from this Church; one of the Dishes or Plates is at present in private hands, but unfortunately the others cannot be traced. This is inscribed in large script lettering in one line on the wide, flat rim:
"The Gift of Mrs. Catherine Halshall to God and the Alter of
KK Maliew, Anno Domini 1745 "
Its diameter is 143/4 in., and it is stamped with four small marks in separate shields, (i) fleur-de-lys, (2) lion rampant,
(3) as No. 1, (4) maker's initials; the first is a G, the other is illegible. This is similar to the Dish at Kirk Maughold given by Mrs. Margaret Taubman, and is probably by the same maker.
The letter of Bishop Wilson, dated S, Peter's Day, 1745, written to the Rev. James Wilks, Vicar of German, and later of Kirk Michael, Vicar-General in 1749, who was then on a visit to Dublin, ordering these pewter vessels, is, we believe, still in existence, and is as follows:
" But I fear a letter of mine hath miscarried in which I desired you to bespeak a Flagon of a gallon at least, one large Dish, and two or three plates of the best Pewter with this inscription, `The Gift of Mrs. Catherine Halshall to God and the Alter of KK Malew Church.'"
Charles II. silver Chalice, with Paten-cover. The Chalice has a plain, beaker-shape bowl, and is supported by a truncated stem with moulded edge. The Paten-cover is plain, and has an incised line around the edge of rim. The Agnus Dei is engraved on the foot of the Paten an unusual feature in English patens of this period.
Both have the London date-letter for 1661-2, and the maker's mark, TG, with three pellets above and below, in a dotted circle. No inscriptions.
Dimensions: Height of Chalice, 7 in.; depth of bowl, 37/8 in.; diameter of mouth, 4¼ in. ; diameter of Paten-cover, 5 11/16in. height,15/16 in.
This Chalice and Paten-cover were no doubt given to the Chapel at its consecration on the 11th April, 1701. It was built mainly at the cost of William, ninth Earl of Derby, and was the first church building erected during the eventful episcopate of Bishop Wilson.
A silver Chalice, with short beaker-shape bowl, the lower part of which is repoussë with formal floreation, foliage, etc. The same decoration is repeated in the centre of the tall stem and on the border of the circular foot. The sacred symbols, IHS, a cross and nails in a halo, are engraved on the bowl. It is inscribed:
"This Cup was given by Robert Quayle Esqr for the use of Saint Mary's Chapel Castletown
Oct 25th 1830."
London date-letter for 1827-8. Maker's mark,
in a quatrefoil (Rebecca Emes and Edwd. Barnard).
Height, 97/8 in.
There is also a silver Paten, standing on a plain foot, with flat acanthus-like foliage on a matted surface on the border, and acanthus edge, and is engraved with the same inscription. The sacred symbols, IHS, a cross and three nails in glory, are engraved in the centre.
London date-letter for 1830-1. Maker's mark,
in a quatrefoil (Edw. Barnard, Edw. Barnard Junr., John Barnard & Wm. Barnard).
Diameter, 8 in.; height, 2 in.
This Chapel is also in possession of a large and handsome silver Cup and cover, with two plain scrolled handles, of Irish make. The body is repoussë with foliage and scroll decoration above and below the plain moulding which encircles the centre, and rests on a moulded foot, which is similarly decorated. The domed cover is also similarly decorated, and is surmounted by a pine-apple knob. The only marks are the Dublin mark, an Irish harp crowned, in an irregular shield, and the maker's mark, TW, with pellet between and crown above, in a shaped shield the same initials, but in a shield of different shape, appearing on the body probably the mark of Thos. Walker, of Dublin. Its date is circa 1725.
Height, including cover,113/8 in.; exclusive of cover, 8 in.; diameter, 5¾ in. Weight marked, 47 oz. 17 dwts.
The donor of this valuable Cup and cover was Margaret Christian Quilliam, daughter of Richard Ambrose Stevenson, of Balladoole, and Marjery Trissel. She married Captain John Quilliam, R.N., who fought at the Battles of Camperdown and Copenhagen, and was under Nelson on the Victory at Trafalgar. She was born in 1770, and died in 1844. In her will, dated November 19th, 1831, she directs, " I leave to the chaplains and wardens (for the time being) of St. Mary's Chapel in Castletown aforesaid my two best silver chased Candlesticks to and for the use of the said Chapel for ever and to be placed therein on the Communion Table. I also leave to the chaplains and wardens of St. Mary's Chapel aforesaid and to their successors in office for ever my best silver chased Cup and Cover to and for the use of the said Chapel."
A pair of tall silver Candlesticks, of gadroon and shell decoration, with baluster-like stems on hexagonal bases, and with gadroon borders, engraved with a crest, perhaps a Cornish chough with a small branch in its beak.
London date-letter for 1770-1. Maker's mark, E.C, with pellet between in an oblong.
Height, 107/8 in.
These are the Candlesticks which were left to this Chapel by Margaret Christian Quilliam according to the terms of her will. She also bequeathed another pair exactly similar and of the same date, to the Chapel of King William's College.
A large, plain silver Salver, with shaped border, on four feet, inscribed on the back:
"The Gift of Miss Qualtrough
to Castletown Chapel
London date-letter for 1734-5. Maker's mark, GH, in an oblong (Geo. Hindmarsh).
Diameter, 101/8 in.
The donor was Miss Jane Qualtrough, of Kentraugh. (Plate xi.)
A silver Chalice, inscribed:
The The Gift of the Ladies of the
Parish of Kirk Marown
St. Mark's Chapel."
London date-letter for 1772-3.
Height, 65/8 in.
The Rev. John Christian, Vicar of Marown, gave the sum of £3 13s. 6d. towards the purchase of this Chalice.
A silver Salver on three feet, with the Arms of the Isle of Man, surrounded by the following inscription, engraved in the centre :
" Presented to St. Mark's Chapel in Kirk Malew by Ann Bridson of Douglas."
London date-letter for 1750-1. Maker's mark, EC. Diameter, 6¼in.
These gifts were made at the consecration of this Chapel in 1772.
A small silver Mug, with ribbed body, and these initials, WWC, engraved in script capitals thereon.
London date-letter for 1812-13. Maker's mark,
in a square (Thos. Wallis and Jonathan Hayne).
Height, 35/16 (Plate xiii.)
A plain Beaker of old Sheffield plate, inscribed:
" Ecclesiae Christi de Rushen Sacrum Insulâ Monâ 1789."
Height, 5½ in.
Another Beaker, described as of silver, and inscribed: " Ecclesiae Christi de Rushen Sacrum Insula Mona, 1703," has been lost from this Church.