[From Manx Annals,1901/2]
The following properties were advertised to be let
1815 "A large and eligible dwelling house, with kitchen, parlour, drawing room, four bedrooms and garrets, with a very good yard. The premises are attached to the quay and very fit for a genteel family or a person in business. Apply to the High-Bailiff of Peel" (Is this that house now known as the Peveril Hotel ? It was at one time the residence of Capt Savage, who was High Bailiff of Peel 1794-1802. The High Bailiff at the time of the advertisement was Hugh Clucas 1808-1817)
1816 A large dwelling house, together with a stable, backyards &c. The above house is three-stories high, having four rooms on each with excellent cellar under the whole. Situated in one of the most convenient and pleasant streets in Peel. Apply to Mrs L. Cannon, or to George Cannon, Peel. (There exists at the present day in the hands of a well-known Peel gentleman "A journal of a voyage per ship Iris from Liverpool to Benny in Africa. Commencing the 8th June 1798 by George Cannon." The log ran till the date, August 3rd, 1800, was reached the book then being completely filled. The ship was in the slave trade, and at the latter date had almost finished her second round between Africa and the West Indies. Inside of the book is "George Cannon, Peeltown, Isle of Man, 1820" One of his descendants emigrated to America and afterwards became the well known Mormon leader, George Quayle Cannon, who died in Utah a few months ago)
1818 "To be sold, a plot of ground, part of the premises
called "Joiner's Close" in Peeltown, fronting the main street from
the Rockmount highroad on the north-west and the new street called
Athol-street on the east. The premises will be more advantageous for
building than any other part of the town, well known for its
agreeable and high situation, which is elevated towards the country
on one side and decline to the town on the other; and on account of
the great breadth and beautiful direction of this new street that
passes through the premises. Apply to John Stephen, the proprietor,
Douglas" (The plot in question was probably where Mr H Cowley's
houses stand There were several members of a family named Joiner in
the Island about a hundred years ago. Athol-street was for many years
better known to the Peel people as "The Close"
a name which it is still occasionally called.)
[fpc - the only plot that fits this description is the corner plot of Athol street and Douglas street.]
"To be let, that dwelling house on Castletown Green called Hills House, lately occupied by James Quirk of Knockaloe. Apply to William Killey, of Castletown, or James Quirk, High Bailiff of Peel". (These two gentlemen of the same name were brothers-in-law. James Quirk of Knockaloe, M.H.K., who died in 1821, married Eleanor, daughter of Mr John Quayle, of Castletown, who was, I believe, a son of John, Clerk of the Rolls, who married a daughter of Sir George Moore. James Quirk, the High Bailiff, was appointed to that office in 1817, on the death of Hugh Clucas. In 1820 he was appointed High Bailiff of Douglas in place of John M'Hutchin, who was made Northern Deemster.)
1819 "To be let, Ballakillmorry, containing 150 or 160 acres in the highest state of cultivation, with large modern buildings which are expected to be soon finished. Apply at Ballakilmorry or to John Blake, Parade, Douglas." (John Blake kept the Plough Inn, Douglas Quay, and died not long after this date. His mother died in 1823 aged 90, was formerly of Brigham, Cumberland.)
"To be let, Ballacraine, St John's together with the mansion house, which is well adapted fro an inn. Apply to Miss Catherine Stephen of Douglas, the proprietor, or to William Stephen, advocate," (These were relatives of the Rev Thos. Stephen, who was at that time was vicar of Marown.)
"To be let, a convenient house with a garden, situate in Peeltown, and lately in the occupation of Peter Cranke Wood. Apply William Bridson, the proprietor, Raggat". This was that house in Factory street wherein the late Mr William Kelly lived for many years. P.C. Wood had removed to Castletown, where he died in 1821.)
"To be let, the shop and house in Peel now in the occupation of David McGray, Merchant. Apply to Thomas J. Graves, proprietor." (David McGray married, in 1818, Miss Summers, of Ballafayle, Maughold, and died at Peel in 1820, aged 34. His widow, in 1822, married at Kirk Christ Rushen, Dr James Fell, of Peel. Mr T.J. Graves was grandfather of the late Henry T. Graves, Esq. of Woodville.)
1822 "Knockaloe-Moar to be let. Apply to James Quirk, High Bailiff of Douglas, or to Robert Cunningham of Castletown. The premises will be shown by Alexander Cummin who resides near the avenue gate.
"To be let or sold, a dwelling house in Castletown, at present occupied by Mrs Corteen. Apply to Mr John Lucas, Knockrushen, or Mrs Isabella Farrant, Peel (Mr Thomas Farrant, merchant, of Peel , died in 1819. The above Mrs Farrant carried on her late husband's business. There were several members of the Farrant family living in Peel in the early part of that century; a daughter of one of them married Mr Philip Morre of Ballamoar. The first High-Bailiff of Peel was Robert Farrant, appointed to that office in 1777, who held it till 1794, when he removed to Ballamoar, Jurby. Mrs Corteen was, I believe, a granddaughter of Sir George Moore).
"To be let, a commodious shop and house in centre of Peel. Apply to Thos. Joshua Graves, proprietor."
1823 To be let, a shop, house and garden in the centre of Peel. Apply to Mr Coole, saddler, or to Mrs Killey, the proprietor, near St John's"
"To be let by auction, the minor's rights of the estate of Knocksharry (Cottier's) also a certain parcel of land called Thollowquayle in the same parish, belonging to the said minor. To be let certain parcels of land belonging to Lhergydhoo. By order of John Moore of Lhergydhoo. Apply to John Moore, proprietor." (The minor was the late Mr John Cottier, who for over thirty years held the Peel Castle ferries. At the time of this advertisement his mother was the wife of Mr Quaye, Mr Cottier, senior, having died some years previously.
1824 "To be let or sold the estate of Northop with about 35 acres. Apply to Wm. Sinclair, Creig Beig, Crosby; or Robert Grant, innkeeper, Peel; or James M'Crone, agent to the Duke of Athol." (Mr John Bennett, the late owner of Northop died there early in 1824. Mr William Sinclair of Creg Beg was a native of Wigtonshire, and died at Creg Beg in 1827. In 1825 the place was again advertised.)
1825 "To be sold, the villa of Northop. The mansion house, offices and garden were built by the late proprietor, Mr Bennett, only three years ago. Apply to Mrs Bennett, Peel." (The property was not sold then, as it remained in the family many years afterwards. It now belongs to Mr E. T. Christian).
"Banff Place, parish of German, near Peel Road to be let with 46 acres. Apply to the proprietor, Alexander Bonneyman of Port-e-chree. Mr Bonnyman was a native of Banffshire, and died in 1826. Banff Place, is like other properties about Greeba, still in the hands of the Bonneyman family).
1826 "To be sold by John Quirk, coroner of Glenfaba, all those estates adjoining each other with a mansion, &c, stiled Rockmount, formerly the Drinah and the Kew, the property of James Ray. Thery contain 178 acres. A plan of the estate may be seen at Mr Quirk's advocate, South Quay, Douglas.