[From Leech's Guide, 1861]
"The grey mist leaves the mountain side,
The torrent shows its glistening pride
Invisible in flecked sky
The lark sends down her revelry
The blackbird and the spreckled thrush
Good-morrow give from brake and bush;
In answer coos the cushiat dove
Her notes of peace, and rest, and love."
THE most interesting pedestrian ramble that can be taken out of Ramsey is in the direction of
situate half a mile from the town, on the Laxey road. Of all the lovely spots on the Island, which invite the attention of lovers of the picturesque, this glen is unequalled for its tranquil beauty and sweet seclusion. Springing from the fastnesses of North Baroole, and winding its way through a deep ravine, between overhanging woods, the silvery streamlet glides from crag to crag, pervading the atmosphere with its dewy freshness, and filling the ear with its harmonious murmurs. Standing on the bridge, across which runs the high road to Laxey, and looking down into the ravine, the eye roams delighted amid the pictorial combination of verdure, and crystal water, mossy rocks, and hoary tree-stems, decked with the graceful and clinging ivy-plant. A foot path leads through this lonely dell to the sea shore. On the opposite side of the road a stile leads to a steep winding path upwards among the trees, where the pedestrian at length emerges on a fine natural platform stretching northwards; when a splendid panorama bursts upon his vision. Here he can look over the five northern parishes of the isle, and the grand open bay towards Scotland; when the Mull of Galloway and Burrow Head appear like the opposing banks of some river, while Luce bay runs inland some fifteen miles between them. The blue mountains of KirkcudbrightShire and Dumfriesshire, as also those of Cumberland loom distinctly to the view. And about six miles off may be seen the solitary Light Ship, warning the passing mariner from the dangers of the Bahama Bank, which although never uncovered, is rendered thus the more dangerous to navigation. This ship was placed in her position soon after the Royal visit, the result of her Majestys inquiries while anchored in the bay.
Close to the edge of the terrace, and immediately overlooking the town, stands
so named and erected in honour of the visit of the Prince Consort, on the 20th September, 1847, to this very spot, when his Royal Highness expressed enthusiastic admiration of the scenery, yet remembered with a very natural pride by the loyal inhabitants of Ramsey. Meanwhile Her Majesty the Queen surveyed the town and the green uplands from the deck of the Royal Yacht, and graciously received a deputation composed of some of the most respectable townspeople. Shortly after wards the foundation stone of the Albert Tower was laid amidst great public rejoicing by the Lady of the Right Hon. Lord Auckland, then Bishop of the Island. The anniversary of the day on which the Royal per sonages first visited Mona is still kept in remembrance by those who had the pleasure of witnessing this most interesting event. The Albert Tower is a neat substantial square structure, built of granite, with machicolated battlements, to which visitors are admitted on payment of a small gratuity. From its great elevation it forms a striking landmark. Descending from the hill by another winding and rocky path, the pedestrian passes through the beautiful estate of Claughbane, and near to its quaint secluded residence, in the garden of which are some trees of very ancient and conventual aspect; and continuing his ramble in the direction of Ramsey, soon emerges on the well kept high road which leads to the town.