[From King William's College: Centenary Notes & Pictures, 1933]
The Right Rev. George Hills, D.D. (Dur.), joined the School in its first year-1833. After being Senior Curate and Lecturer of Leeds Parish Church and Vicar of Great Yarmouth and Hon. Canon of Norwich, he was consecrated first Bishop of British Columbia and occupied the See for thirty-three years, latterly being also Metropolitan of Canada. He later retired to the living of Parham, Suffolk, where he died in 1895.
The Right Rev. T. W. Drury, D.D., Scholar of Christ's College, Cambridge, was the son of the Rev. W. Drury of Braddan, one of the best known of Manx clergy during the last century. He was Head of the School in 1866, in which year he went up to Cambridge, where he became a Wrangler, took the Classical Tripos, and obtained a first class in Theology, winning the Scholefield and Evans University prizes. He was ordained Curate of Kirk Braddan in 1871 and became Mathematical Master at the College in 1874. He was subsequently Principal of the C.M.S. College, Islington, and Principal of Ridley Hall, Cambridge. In 1907 Dr. Drury was appointed Bishop of Sodor and Man-the first O.K.W. to occupy the Island diocese-and became a trustee of the College. In 1912 he was translated to Ripon, where he remained until 1920, when he returned to Cambridge as Master of St. Catharine's College, where he died in 1926. Dr. Drury was select preacher before the University in 1900-01. He was a member of the Fulham Conference in 1901-02 and wrote a number of works on Liturgiology.
The Right Rev. Archibald Ean Campbell, M.A., Foundation Scholar of Clare College, Cambridge, entered the School in August, 1869, with his brother, the Rev. A. hi. Campbell. He was a Praepositor and had his XI and XV colours. He was elected Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway in 1904 and died at Glasgow in 1921.
The Right Rev. James Okey Nash, D.D., Scholar of Hertford College, Oxford, was Head of the School in 1886 and won his ist XI colours. He was ordained in 1886. After holding a curacy in Bethnal Green he spent three years at Pusey House and became a member of the Community of the Resurrection in 1892. He was Vicar of Radley 1895-98 and became Headmaster of St. John's College, Johannesburg, in 1906. He was Hon. Canon of Pretoria 1912-17 and was consecrated co-adjutor Bishop of Cape Town. He retired in 1930.
The Right Rev. Charles Hope Gill, D.D., Foundation Scholar of Queens' College, Cambridge, joined the School in 1877 with his brother, H. S. H. Gill. He was a 1st XV colour 1879-80. After serving a curacy in North Shields he went to India under the C.M.S. in 1886 and was consecrated Bishop of Travancore and Cochin in 1905, retiring in 1924.
THE Rev. E. H. KEMPSON, D.D.
THE REV. E. H. KEMPSON, D.D., became Principal in 1900 and held office until he was appointed residentiary Canon of Newcastle in 1912. Dr. Kempson took a first class in Mathematics at Christ Church, Oxford, in 1885, and was successively assistant master at Clifton and Harrow.
He was Bishop of Warrington from 1920 to 1927. Dr. Kempson was one of our greatest builders. This period is notable for the addition of the science laboratories ; the new engineering school ; the metal and wood shops, and above these, the new gymnasium. The new cricket pavilion was also built by the subscriptions of masters, parents and old boys. 15
CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY O.K.W. XV, 1910.
First Row-G. H. CHARLETON C. W. BOOTE H. M. M'CROSSAN
Second Row-G. R. MILNER J. KIRTLAND R. C. CAIN H. D. GAWNE G. H. HUDSON
Sitting-G. H. WILLIAMSON R. A. CHANDLER H. W. P. MCMEEKIN J. G. SMITH V. S. THORNTON G. STOREY J. M. ALLEN
"Mother Schofield's Cottage" demolished in 1911