[From King William's College: Centenary Notes & Pictures, 1933]

A DISTINGUISHED EARLY GROUP

The College Register for the first fifteen years(1833-48) contains the names of a group of O.K.W.'s distinguished for their work in Church and State.

F.W. Farrar
THE VEN. F. W. FARRAR, D.D.

F. W. Farrar (1839 47) was Head of the School and had a distinguished career at Trinity College, Cambridge He was Scholar and Fellow of Trinity; Chancellor's medallist; he won the Hulsean and Le Bas Essay prizes and was placed fourth in the first class, Classical Tripos, in 1854. He was first an assistant master at Marlborough and later at Harrow. He was Headmaster of Marlborough 1871-76; Canon and Archdeacon of Westminster and Rector of St. Margaret's 1876-95;Chaplain to the House of Commons; the Chaplain and Deputy-Clerk to the Closet to H.M. King Edward VII; Fellow of the Royal Society; and became Dean of Canterbury in 1895, where he died in 1903. His many writings included Eternal Hope and The Life of Christ;but he is perhaps best known at College - and elsewhere - as the author of one of the first books on the Public Schools - Eric or Little by Little;

The Rev. John Ellerton (1842-44) was not only a great hymn writer but a great hymnologist. He had an exhaustive knowledge, not only of Greek and Latin hymns, but of those in most European languages. He contributed the article on hymns in Smith's Dictionary of Antiquities. His own compositions included " Saviour again to Thy dear Name we raise "; " The day Thou gavest, Lord, is ended "; " This is the day of light ";and " Now the labourer's task is o'er."

T. E. Brown (1846-49), the poet, whose centenary was celebrated in 1930, is one of the greatest of our Manx old boys. He gained an exhibition to Christ Church, Oxford, and took a first class in Classics and a first in Law and History. He became a Fellow of Oriel, and returned to K.W.C. as Vice-Principal in 1855. In 1861 he became Headmaster of the Crypt Grammar School, Gloucester, and joined his friend J. M. Wilson, also an O.K.W., and then Headmaster of Clifton, as second master at Clifton in 1863. He died while on a visit to Clifton, after his retirement, in 1897. His place among the greater British poets is now secure. It is his Manx poems which are most characteristic of the man, and which enshrine the genius and natural philosophy of the Manx people. He is commemorated by two side windows in the Chapel erected in 1898, and also by a bronze tablet on the wall.

THE REV. T. F. BROWN.
THE REV. T. F. BROWN.

FIELD-MARSHAL SIR GEORGE WHITE, V.C.
FIELD-MARSHAL SIR GEORGE WHITE, V.C.

Sir George Stewart White, V.C. (1847-50) is best known as the defender of Ladysmith, during the South African War, from and November, 1899, to 1st March,1900. He saw wide service in the army in many parts of the world. He was decorated with the V.C.in recognition of his conspicuous bravery at Charasiab in1879. He held the orders C.B., K.C.B., G.C.I.E., G.C.B.,G.C.S.I., G.C.M.G., and O.M. He was Hon. LL.D. of Cambridge; D.C.L. Oxford; and LL.D. Dublin. He was promoted Field-marshal in 1903. The service jacket with its probably unique collection of medal ribbons,which he wore during the siege of Ladysmith, was presented to the College in 1932, and is in the Walker Library.

The Rev. Thomas Fowler, D.D. Oxon, Hon. LL.D.(Edin.) (1848-49), was Postmaster of Morton College,Oxford; he was a " double first " in Classics and Mathematics; Fellow of Lincoln; Denyer TheologicalScholar. He served the University as Proctor, Professorof Logic, and Select Preacher. He became President of Corpus Christi in 1881 and was Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford 1899-1900. Dr. Fowler was born in Castletown and attended the College as a day boy. He died at Oxford in 1904 and bequeathed to the Trustees an endowment of £1000 for the College.

THE REV. T. FOWLER, D.D., LL.D.
THE REV. T. FOWLER, D.D., LL.D.

Canon James Maurice Wilson, D.D. Camb. (184553), was a son of the first principal of the College, theRev. Edward Wilson. He was Head of the School andplayed for the XI. He became a scholar of St. John's College, Cambridge, in 1855, and was Bell (University)Scholar, Senior Wrangler and Fellow of his College.Becoming an assistant master at Rugby School in 1859,he was one of the first to develop scientific teaching in Public Schools. In 1879 he was appointed Headmasterof Clifton College, and was there until 1890. Subsequently he was Vicar of Rochdale, Archdeacon of Manchester, and Canon of Worcester and Vice-Dean ofthe Cathedral. He wrote a number of books ontheological and scientific subjects, and was one of theforemost interpreters of the scientific spirit in his age.He presented the pulpit in the College Chapel in memory of his father. He died at the age of ninety-six in 1932.

THE REV. CANON J. M. WILSON
THE REV. CANON J. M. WILSON, D.D

THE REV. JOSHUA HUGHES-GAMES,D.C.L. Oxon, was Principal from 1866 to1886. Dr. Hughes-Games had a distinguished career as a member of Lincoln College, Oxford. He gained a first class in Mathematics;was Johnson (University) Mathematical Scholar and Senior Mathematical Scholar. Before coming to King William's College he was Vice-Principal of the York Training College; and Headmaster of the Liverpool Institute. Dr. Hughes-Games became Archdeacon of Man and Rector of Andreas in 1886. His principalship was marked by a large increase in academic honours won by the College and also by considerable extension of thebuildings, including a laboratory for practical chemistry(1869); the gymnasium (1872); the new Chapel (1879);the Sanatorium (1882); Mr. Pleignier's House (1884),later acquired by the Trustees for the Junior House;and the completion of the Entrance Hall (1886)

THE REV. J. HUGHES-GAMES, D.C.L.
THE REV. J. HUGHES-GAMES, D.C.L.

PRAEPOSITORS, 1880

PRAEPOSITORS, 1880.

Bishop J. O. NASH Canon T. F. MADDRELL Rev. S. A. P. KERMODE N. B. SKOTTOWE Archdeacon J. R. H. BECHER

Rev. H. F. FREEMAN Bishop C. H. GILL. T. A. LACE Canon J. M. WALKER L. PLEIGNIER Archdeacon J. KEWLEY Rev. S. H. W. HUGHES-GAMES


 

Back index next

 

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2000