[King William's College Register]
KING WILLIAMS COLLEGE traces back its origin to the munificence of Bishop Isaac Barrow, the uncle of the famous Mathematician and Divine of that name. Bishop Barrow was appointed to the See of Sodor and Man in 1663. In 1668 he executed a deed by which he placed the Farm of Ballagilley, then worth no more than £20 per annum, in the hands of Trustees, the rents to be applied towards the maintenance of two Scholars at the University of Dublin to be trained for service in the Manx Church, and, after the supply of Clergy for the Island was sufficient, " then to what other public work or charity as shall by my Trustees be thought most profitable to the Island." Bishop Barrow was translated to the See of St. Asaph in 1671. In his will, dated 1679, he made some alterations in the Trust Deed, but only in matters of detail.
The income of the Trust was at first applied towards the maintenance of scholars at the University of Dublin, and, afterwards, was used for paying the master of the Castletown Grammar School and others, for preparing students (commonly called Academic Scholars) for holy orders in the Diocese. Within 200 years from the foundation of the Trust, the value of the real estate increased more than thirty fold. Therefore, after providing for the necessities of the Church at the time, the Trustees had funds available for some " other public work or charity." They accordingly made grants towards the stipends of various diocesan clergymen and officials. All these provisions having been made and the income showing a surplus, the Trustees, in 1830, considered that Bishop Barrows charitable designs, both as to providing for the supply of clergy, and as to promoting an important public work, could best be carried out "by the establishment of a College in this Island for General Education, in which the various branches of Literature and Science are to be made the subjects of instruction, and the minds of youth imbued with a knowledge of religious truths and moral duties." " This design was highly approved of by the people of the Island, and an appeal made by the Trustees for subscriptions to the Building Fund was liberally responded to. The foundation stone of the College was laid by His Excellency Lieutenant Governor Smelt, and that of the College Chapel by the Right Rev. William Ward, D.D., Lord Bishop, on the 23rd April, 1830, in presence of an immense concourse of people, assembled from all parts of the Island."
The following account of the laying of the foundation stone of the College and the chapel is taken from a number of the " Manx Advertiser " published in April, 1830:
LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION STONES OF THE MANKS COLLEGE AND CHAPEL. CASTLETOWN, 24TH APRIL, 1830.
The 23d of April, 1830, will long be recollected by the rising generation, and form a distinguishing epoch in the future history of the Isle of Man. The selection of that day, for the performance of the ceremonies attendant on this most interesting work, evidently. shows the feelings of loyalty which animate the Manx breast : and the only circumstance which cast a gloom on the joyous enthusiasm of the day, was the painful reflection that our good and venerable Sovereign might, perhaps, at that moment, still be suffering under bodily afflictionFor his speedy return to health, and to the smiles of his loving people, we fervently pray!
All the proceedings of this memorable day were gratifying in the extreme, and the preparatory arrangements such as to reflect credit On those who had the ordering and management of this brilliant display.
At an early hour the Castletown clubs, three in number, with their bands and colours, each member holding a gilt-headed stave in his hand, marched into the square. The societies belonging to Kk. Arbery, Kk. Santon, and Kk. Malew, with their respective bands and h~nners, successively joined their comrades, the whole forming an extensive circle, composed mostly of mechanics and labourers, all decently attired : and what speaks more highly for them all, not one, during the whole ceremony, exhibited the slightest mark of inebriety, and yet there were nearly 900 congregated togethermost of them having marched 3 and 4 miles.
Long ere the clock had struck the 12th hour of the day, our little garrison, under the command of Captain Barton, had turned out in high order, and formed in front of St. Marys chapel, facing the square, where they were inspected by our worthy Lieutenant Governor, who had on the Windsor Uniform, dress sword, and cocked hat. His appearance was noble and commanding, and highly becoming the representative of Majesty.
Hundreds of persons had been pouring into the town, and the parade and surrounding buildings exhibited at last such a multitude as never was witnessed here before. His Lordship, the Bishop of Sodor and Man, arrived, drove into the square, alighted, and there met his Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor.At noon, precisely, the military fired a feu de joie, in honor of his Majestys birth-day, the Lieutenant-Governor taking off his hat, and giving, in his own person, the cheering signal of the accustomed 3 huzzas, which, with the acclamations of the assembled people, was perfectly astounding in its effects.At half-past I 2 the processional order was formed, and the march to Hango Bill estate took place. This spot is about half a mile from the town, lying between the Castletown and Derby-haven roads, and has been most judiciously and wisely selected by the trustees of good Bishop Barrow for the erection of the Manx Seminary. The procession moved in nearly the following order:
The Boys and Girls of the National and Sunday Schools of CastletownTwo and Two.
The Old Friendly Society, of Castletown, with Band and Colours, in Fours.
The Castletown Artificers Friendly Society, with Band and ColoursIn Fours.
The Kirk Arbory Friendly Society, with their ColoursIn Fours.
The Castletown Philanthropic Friendly Society, with Band and ColoursIn Fours.
The Kirk Santon Friendly SocietyIn Fours.
The Kirk Malew Friendly SocietyIn Fours.
Each School and Society bearing their own appropriate banners, Devices, and Emblems.
His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor in his Carriage.
The Lord Bishop and Family, in their Carriage, followed by Deemster Christian, the Clerk of the Rolls, and many others, in their respective Vehicles.
The field appropriated to the intended Buildings, had flags fixed at its angles, and from the summit of the old ruin on Hango Hill another drapeau was seen loosely waving and crowning this once ill-fated and blood-stained spot.
Whilst the right of the procession was nearing the central part of the procession, where the foundation stones were to be laid, the children moved round the site of the intended structure, and the various societies formed an extensive outer circle. On the arrival of his Excellency the Lieutenant Governor, he was received by the congregated mass, (5000 persons are supposed to have been present) with three warm and hearty cheers, and the bands struck up, See the Conquering Hero comes.Prayers having been said, by the Lord Bishop, assisted by the Rev. George Parsons, Government Chaplain, who both were attired in their Canonical Robes.His Excellency made a most suitable address, and then proceeded, with mallet and trowel, to lay down the foundation stone of the College. Various coins were deposited in a stone cut for the purpose, under the directions of Thomas Brine, Esq., and to this gentleman much praise and many thanks are due for the capital arrangements he made on this occasion.
The Lord Bishop, accompanied by a number of gentlemen, pro-ceeded to the spot where the Chapel, attached to the College, is to be raised, and offered up a suitable prayer, which was accompanied by his benediction. The stone was then lowered, the bands struck up, and the procession returned to town nearly in the same order as that in which it had left Castletown. On its arrival on the parade, the different societies and schools formed into two large circles, their bands in the centre, playing at intervals a number of enlivening airs. The High Bailiff then addressed the multitude, called for three cheers to his Majesty, wishing him a speedy and full return to health, as well as many returns of the daythe bands striking up with the national anthem of God save the King. The High Bailiff gave, Our much-respected Lieutenant Governor, and long life to him. Three stout and hearty cheers followed, the bands playing Monas Delight. The High Bailiff then gave, The Right Rev. the Lord Bishop, with three cheers, and thanks to him for his kind assistance this day. The band playing Molly Caraine.This was followed by three cheers severally givenIst, To the Success of the Institution that had been this day established. 2ndly, Prosperity to the several Friendly Societies that had voluntarily joined the procession.And, 3rdly, Success to the National and Sunday Schools of Castletown. After the successive cheers, each band played an appropriate air. In the evening, his Excellency the Lieutenant Governor entertained a large party to dinner.
We observed with much pleasure that our beloved Lieutenant Governor, although now arrived at the very advanced age of 83, looked uncommonly well, and bore the fatigues of the day, which
were neither few nor small, without appearing in the slightest degree to suffer from his great exertionsThe weather during the whole of the morning had been thick and hazy, yet very mild ; but at the moment the foundation stone of the College was being lowered, the heavy and long over hanging mist suddenly passed away, and the sun burst forth in all its splendour, casting its brilliant rays on all around, seeming to encourage by its cheering and enlightening presence the performance of that deed, which is ultimately to lead, it is to be hoped, to great beneficial results, to the advancement of our moral and religious instruction, and prove a blessing to the present and coming generations.
The Place of Worship, attached to the Manx College, is to be called St. Thomass Church, thus named, yesterday, by the Lord Bishop.
About 46 persons sat down to a dinner at the George Inn, mostly members of the different societies, however a great many gentlemen joined them. The dinner was good, the wines excellent, and the conviviality kept up for some hours, during which many appropriate toasts were given.
Cakes and refreshments were distributed amongst the children of the different schools, by the Lord Bishops desire ; and barrels of ale, without number, flowed all around, pleasantly cooling the parched and dusty throats of the assembled throng.
Thus ended the pleasing moving scenes of the day ; and ere the midnight hour had struck, our little town had sunk into its usual quiet and peaceful state."
The College was opened on August ist, 1833, and the Chapel on September 1st, 1835.
Among donors to the Library, which was started at the same time, were Lord de Grey, Captain Wilks, of Castletown, Robert Quayle, Esq., of çastletown, the British and Foreign Bible Society, and Bishop Short, the last of whom presented valuable books, including many which formed part of the Library of the late Dr. Ireland, Dean of Westminster, his uncle.
On January 14, 1844, with the exception of the Vice-Principals house, the buildings, including the library and its contents, were destroyed by fire.
The following description from the " Pictorial Times " of January, 1844, is sufficiently interesting to quote:
DESTRUCTION BY FIRE OF KING WILLIAM'S COLLEGE, ISLE OF MAN.
" King Williams College, Isle of Man, was built in 1830. It is situated on the southern coast of the island, about half a mile north-east of Castletown, and about three hundred yards from the shore of Castletown Bay. It was one of the finest public buildings in the island, and presented a very respectable front to the sea. It was a very substantial building, in the early English style of architecture. The material of which it is built is grey limestone. The stones were squared, and, as the building was not plastered, they gave an appear-ance of regularity and neatness to the external part of the edifice. The main part of the building, facing the sea, ran east and west, and in the centre was a square embattled tower, one hundred and fifteen feet high. From this tower the chapel stretches north and south, at right angles with the rest of the building. The length of the College from one wing to the other, that is, the length of the front, is two hundred and ten feet. The cost of the building was about £ 6000, of which more than £2000 was raised by subscription: about £2000 was supplied from a fund established by Bishop Barrow in 1668 for educational purposes ; and about £2000 was raised by mortgaging the above-mentioned funds. The College was opened in 1833. It contained, besides the chapel and tower, dwelling-houses for the Principal and Vice-Principal, and accommodation for about from eighty to one hundred boys. There were four spacious class-rooms and a large library. At present there are from forty to fifty boys who are boarded in the College, and about one hundred and fifteen in all.
On Sunday morning, the 14th instant, the College was almost destroyed by fire. How the fire originated has not yet been ascertamed. It broke out somewhere in the west wing of the College, and was discovere4 between two and three oclock a.m. by some of the boys, who immediately gave the alarm, and roused the masters and the rest of the students, who were all safely out of the building in a short time. The fire spread with astonishing rapidity. In a very short time after the fire was first discovered, the information was communicated to the inhabitants of Castletown, many of whom immediately hastened to render assistance in arresting its progress. Part of the detachment of military stationed in Castletown wète immediately called out, and hastened to the College, headed by their officers. The authorities of the town were all at the spot in a short time, and every effort which circumstances permitted was made to save the edifice. There being no fire-engine nearer than Douglas, a distance of ten miles, several hours elapsed before one could be procured ; besides, at first, there was some lack of water, consequently very little could be done to check the burning. However, that little was done by pouring buckets of water on the flames from the roof, and cutting off the connection between the burning parts and the rest of the building. In the meantime the greater part of the furniture was removed from the Principals and Vice-Principals houses ; and the Principals library, which is a valuable one, was saved. But much of the furniture, such as beds, etc., which could not be quickly removed, was consumed, and a good deal of the rest was damaged considerably in removal. In about three-quarters of an hour after the fire was first discovered, the whole of the west wing of the College was in one blaze, and the fire was spreading rapidly in the direction. of the chapel and east wing. Great exertions were made to save the chapel and tower, but all to no purpose. The wind got up a good dea1, and increased the conflagration. In a very few minutes after the fire first seized upon the tower, the flames were seen running up to the very top, burning away the stairs and flooring. The fire continued making progress till between seven and eight oclock, when the engines arrived, and began to play upon the east wing of the College, every other part being completely destroyed, excepting the walls, before they came. The fire was then checked a good deal, and by ten oclock was nearly out. The valuable library belonging to the College is completely destroyed. It contained an old library which belonged to the Castletown Academy, a great part of which consisted of books presented by the Venerable Bishop Wilson. There was a large quantity of old and scarce, and for that not the less valuable, volumes, chiefly theological, such as " The Fathers," etc. The library had also been much enriched by a large collection of very valuable books, presented by the present Bishop of Man, and a case of Bibles in a great many different languages. The fire had so soon attacked that part of the building in which the library was, that under the circumstances, without an engine, it unfortunately could not be saved. This College is now not quite in ruins, that is, the walls are all standing, though in some places much injured ; but it is entirely gutted, with the exception of the Vice-Principals house.
The College was insured for £2000 in the Sun Office ; the damage is computed to be about £4000. No loss of life or limb, nor any accident has occurred. The people who collected together to see the fire rendered great assistance, at least some of them, and also the military. The burning of the College will be a considerable loss to the island for some time ; but measures are to be taken for its restoration."
Accordingly a circular couched in the following terms was issued, and met with a handsome response :
FIRE IN THE ISLE OF MAN.
King Williams College was established on an old foundation of Bishop Barrows (1671 ), who collected and contributed certain sums, which were after-wards laid out in lands, with the view of providing for the education of the Manx Clergy. The income arising from these estates now amounts to about J~oo per annum. It was built in 1830, during the episcopate of Bishop Ward, and the object of those who took a share in the erection was that, as the majority of the theological students could not hope to obtain the advantage of an English University, the Trustees, by establishing a place of general education in the Island, to which strangers might be admitted, would furnish a more liberal education than was likely to be obtained in an institution where the members consisted of only a small number of young men, who were preparing themselves for the Manx Church. These objects have, to a certain degree, been accomplished ; for at this moment nearly one hundred strangers (about twenty of whom are sons of missionaries, placed there by the Church Mtssionary Society at a reduced rate) are receiving an education, for which they pay, and thus help to support the character of the Institution ; and from among the Islanders, who take advantage of the seminary thus provided, about twelve, chiefly the sons of clergymen, are instructed gratuitously. Several of the students, who have proceeded to English and Irish Universities, have, by the honours which they have there obtained, proved the soundness of the instruction provided at the College. In carrying out this view, ~n itself sound, the trust has been exposed to pecuniary difficulties. The building cost no less a sum than £6572 18s., of which £2692 Is. was raised by voluntary contributions. £207I 10s. was provided by savings previously made, and £2000 was raised by mortgaging the estate. The trust, therefore, is already involved to the amount of £130 per annum, in order to pay the interest on the mortgage, and gradually to pay off the principal ; and the inability of the Trustees to .assist the sons of those who have the greatest claim to enjoy the charity, has, unfortunately, arlsen from this cause.
The building, which suffered by fire on January 14th, 1844, may be described generally as consisting of five distinct portions :1 , The house of the Principal 2, the house of the Vice-Principal ; 3, the schools and dormitories ; 4, the tower; 5, the chapel. Of these, all but the Vice-Principals house are destroyed. The walls, indeed, are left standing, and not materially injured ; but the whole of the interior is consumed, including the library. It was insured for £2000, a sum which would have been adequate to the repair of any two, perhaps of three, of these portions ; but, as it has pleased God that four out of five have been consumed at once, it cannot meet the expense of reconstructing them. The estimate of the necessary repair, now before the Trustees, amounts to £3100 ; but they would be unwise if they reckoned on an expenditure of much less than £4000, thus leaving a deficiency of £2000. They are unwilling, in their present distress, to mistrust the goodness of Providence, or to abandon an Institution which, as far as human eyes can see, seems well calculated to benefit the Island generally, by affording the means of a liberal education to a larger number of its inhabitants than could other*ise obtain it, and for providing for the future clergy the means of instruction suited to their professional duties. The loss is a most severe one to the whole Island, and, coming at a moment when many of the inhabitants are labouring under great pecuniaiy difficulties, it is less likely to be supplied by the liberality of those who would derive the more immediate advantage from the Institution. But the Trustees hardly doubt that a general feeling of the injury, which may arise to future generations of Manxmen, will induce those who possess the means to lessen the effects of a calamity to which all such institutions must be liable. " Among the losses, that of the library is much to be deplored. It consisted of a certain number of volumes, collected by Bishop Wilson and his successors, for the use of the students in theology and the clergy generally ; and of other works con-tributed, from time to time, by the Earls of Derby and others, to a collection destined, it was hoped, to become a public benefit to the Island ; but " man purposeth and God disposeth." If any friends can, out of their abundance, con-tribute a few volumes to this part of the Institution, or collect them from those who may be willing to assist in this good work, in order that some supply of books may be ready when the room to contain them shall be rebuilt, they will be doing a kindness to a foundation which, at the present hour, needs all the assistance that can be afforded it ; and if they will communicate the result of their exertions to the Bishop of Sodor and Man, he will inform them of the best means of transmitting them to the Island. Any sums collected in England for the benefit of the College may be paid into the account of the Bishop of Sodor and Man, at Messrs. Childs, Fleet Street ; or be transmitted to that of the Trustees, at Messrs. Holmes, Douglas, Isle of Man, through any London banker."
The rebuilding and refitting of the College after the fire was undertaken voluntarily by Mr. Timperley, civil engineer, then residing in Castletown.
The business of the school was carried on in the meantime at different houses in the neighbourhood, and sufficient progress was made in the renovation of the building to allow the prize distribution to take place in the large schoolroom on June 4th.
On August 1st the building was reopened for school purposes, and the College chapel on May 29th, 1845, on which occasion the sermon was preached by the Venerable Archdeacon Moore.
At this point it may be convenient to give a list of the further endowments which have since accrued to the College through the generosity of its various friends
1844. The QUILLIAM Endowment consisting of the Estate of Orrisdale, producing a rent of £ 174 a year, in the Parish of Malew, and the sum of £300 devised and bequeathed by the will of Mrs. Margaret Christian Quilliam (formerly Stevenson) of Ballakeighan, dated 19th of Nov., 1831, and proved Oct. 26th,
1844. She also presented the Communion Plate in use in the College Chapel, and also Silver Candlesticks.
1854. The KERMODE Fund. This consists of a sum of £100, remitted to the Trustees from Tasmania in 1854 by the executors of William Kermode, Esq., as a legacy bequeathed by his will.
1860. The KELLY Endowment, being a gift of £1160 by Mrs. Mary Kelly, to found at the College an University Exhibition, and to establish a prize for Manx at the College.
1861. The WILKS Endowment, being a sum of £1200 given by Laura, Lady Buchan, in memory of her father, General Mark Wilks, the Trusts being declared in a Deed dated 8th June, 186i.
1873. The CLUCAS Endowment, being three-tenths of the income of the Estate of Ballaglonney, in the Parish of Malew, to found an University Exhibition and a College Scholarship, left under the wills of Margaret Anne Clucas and Esther Jane Clucas, spinsters, of Ballavale, Santon.
1886. The CAINE Endowment, being a sum of £1000 to found two Scholarships for the benefit of the sons of native Manxmen, clerical or lay.
1895. The CHRISTIAN Endowment, being a sum of £250 left under the will of William Watson Christian, Esq., to found a Scholarship to be called the William Watson Christian Scholar-ship.
1883. The DRINKWATER Scholarship Fund, consisting of 40 Perpetual Preference Shares of £5 each in the Isle of Man Railway Company, given by Peter Bourne Drinkwater, Esq., to found a Scholarship.
1884. The LOCH Scholarship Fund consists of a sum of £167 17s. 8d., contributed by various persons to found a Scholarship in commemoration of the services of Sir Henry Brougham Loch (afterwards Lord Loch), G.C.M.G., K.C.B., to the College.
1901. The BAUME Trust. The sum of £2250 given by the Residuary Legatees of the Estate of P. J. Baume, Esq., to found Scholarships.
1901. The KEMPSON Endowment, consisting of the income of £100 in consols given by the Rev. E. A. Kempson to found a Theological Prize.
1903. The NOBLE Endowment, being a sum of £750 bequeathed by the will of Henry Bloom Noble, Esq., to found two Scholarships at the College to be called the " Henry Bloom Noble " and the " Rebecca Noble " Scholarships.
1905. The FOWLER Endowment, being a sum of £1000 bequeathed by the will of the Rev. T. Fowler, D.D., President of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, to be employed for such purposes as might best commend themselves to the Trustees.
The subsequent history of the College, including an account of the numerous gifts and benefactions, important events, and alterations and additions to the buildings, is perhaps best exhibited in the form of a chronological outline.
The following, among others, presented books to the Library after the fire : The Rev. W. P. Ward, son of the late Bishop Ward; the Parker Society, the British and Foreign Bible Society, and Mrs. Shirley, widow of Bishop Shirley.
1854. The first ordination was held in the College Chapel.
1863. New dining hall, hospital, and dormitories, servants apart-ments, and kitchens opened.
1866. Gas introduced throughout the College.
1868. Chapel transferred to first floor of original building. New
organ provided. Four new classrooms and four new studies constructed
on ground floor.
A scheme passed for awarding scholarships at the College to boys from the Insular Grammar Schools.
1869. Laboratory for practical instruction in chemistry fitted up.
1870. Water supplied to the College from the Castletown Water Works.
1872 . Gymnasium completed and opened.
1876. Grammar School Scholarship scheme modified.
1877. May 20. New chapel foundation stone laid by Mrs. (afterwards Lady) Loch, wife of the Lieutenant-Governor.
1878. Service books for the new chapel presented by Bishop Rowley Hill.
1879. New chapel consecrated January 28th by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese. Stone pulpit presented by J. M. Wilson, Esq. ( afterwards Archdeacon of Manchester), in memory of his father, the first Principal of the College. Reredos, sidewings, and oak panelling for the chancel, presented by P. B. Drinkwater, Esq. The oak stalls and tiling of the chancel and aisle, provided by subscriptions raised by the Principal from masters, pupils, and friends. Total cost, £3300.
A main entrance hall constructed out of the room used formerly as a library.
Two additional classrooms, laboratory, and three new dormitories constructed out of the old chapel, which had not been consecrated.
1880. The remaining part of the old chapel fitted up as a library and museum, in which were placed the geological collections made by the Rev. J. G. Cumming, a former Vice-Principal, and John E. Forbes, Esq., F.G.S.
In consequence of the continuous growth of the school, it was found necessary to have a Secretary and Librarian. Mr. H. S. Christopher was appointed Secretary to the Trustees.
The playing fields were increased to 9 acres.
1882. The sanatorium erected at a cost of about £1800,
1883. The jubilee celebrated on August 1st. A service was held in the chapel, the sermon preached by the Rev. Dr. Dixon, a former Principal. A luncheon was given by the Trustees to old boys ; a garden party given by the Principal and Mrs. Hughes-Games followed. There was also a dinner in the College dining hail in the evening.
1884. A new boarding-house to accommodate 30 boys built by Mr. V. Pleignier. The house was afterwards bought by the Trustees.
1885. A window to the memory of the founder, Bishop Isaac Barrow, placed in the chapel.
1886. Entrance hall completed, and the names of distinguished old boys painted on the panels of the walls.
A carpenters workshop, constructed at the east end of the gymnasium for the accommodation of about 30 boys, opened in October.
A new organ erected in the chapel.
1887. A steam laundry and three covered fives courts erected.
1888. The east wing completed and opened in April as a boarding house for the Principal. Cost, £2500.
The swimming bath was finished and opened in May, the water being pumped from the sea and heated by steam from the laundry boiler. Cost, £1800.
1889. Three stained-glass windows were placed in the chapel. (1) The Rose window at the north end to the memory of Mrs. Quilliam; (2) a side window presented by the officers of the17th Bengal Cavalry in memory of Lieutenant M. Z. Darrah, a brother officer, who died of wounds in Burmah in 1886 ; (3) a side window in memory of J. C. Taylor, who died at the College in 1888.
The room above the swimming bath fitted as a chemical laboratory and lecture room.
Stables and coach-house erected, also new studies for 16 boys.
1890. The chancel end of the wall of the chapel was decorated.
The College drains were connected with the town drainage system. A workshop for metal-work erected.
1891. Two temporary classrooms erected on the north side of the library wing, one fitted as a physical lecture room.
1892. The roof of the College was raised, giving five excellent dormitories. Cost, £1000.
1894. The addition to the Principals boarding house was completed, giving accommodation for 40 boys. Cost, £1500.
1896. A side window, presented by friends, was placed in the chapel in memory of J. G. Cossins, M.B., late assistant medical officer, Royal National Hospital, Ventnor, Isle of Wight, and his younger brother, W. H. Cossins, Indian Civil Service, one of the victims of the Manipur massacre.
1897. A new organ with 32 stops was placed in the chapel. Cost, £600.
1898. Two side windows were put in the chapel in memory of the late Rev. T. E. Brown, a former Vice-Principal, and also one in memory of H. H. Spencer, presented by his old school-fellows.
The Lieutenant-Governor (Lord Henniker), and the Bishop (Dr. Straton), presented two chalices for use in the chapel.
A mission chapel was built at Derbyhaven, the funds being provided by a fancy fair held at the College, and also by private subscriptions.
The metal workshop was enlarged.
1899. The whole of the playing fields were levelled at a cost of £900. A side window was placed in the chapel to the memory of F. C. Francillon.
The lavatories and bathrooms re-fitted,
1901. The side walls of the chancel were covered with frescoes in memory of the late Principal (the Rev. Frank B. Walters), and a brass tablet was erected.
1902. Mr. T. G. Mylchreest of Thorner, near Leeds, presented a valuable clock for the College Tower with three faces and three bells.
In the same year a new Bible for the lectern was presented by Deemster Kneen.
Science schools erected, consisting of chemical and physical laboratories and lecture rooms, two preparation rooms, balance room, photographic and optical dark rooms, and two ordinary classrooms. These buildings were erected at a cost of £4200, mainly with money provided by the devisees of the late Mr. Baume to found scholarships.
New cricket pavilion built, the cost being borne by masters, parents, and old boys.
1903. A miniature rifle range opened.
1904. The old gymnasium was pulled down, and in its place a building 103 ft. x 36 ft. was erected at a cost of about £4000, the ground floor containing carpenters shop, metal shop, engineering laboratory, and drawing school, and dark room, and the upper floor a combined gymnasium and Big school, access to the latter being obtained by a handsome stone staircase and entrance hall.
A new entrance-scholarship scheme came into force, whereby pupils of the Manx secondary and elementary schools obtain board and education at the College absolutely free of cost,. and valuable open scholarships were also offered.
A memorial window was placed in the chapel by the parents of Paul Reid, who died at the College in 1899.