[From Ecclesiological Notes, 1848]
Church of S. Patrick, in Peel Castle.
Ground work of the Castle of Rushin. 947 ?
West Porch of Kirk Maughold
West Porch and front of Ballaugh, rebuilt in imitation of the old work.
Fonts at Kirk Braddon and Kirk Malew.
Crossag, or Abbey Bridge of Rushin.
Chancel and nave of Kirk Maughold.
Chapel of S. Michael, Longness.
Ruined chapel at Balla-laugh'?
,, ,, Kiel Vael.
,, ' ,, Ballingan ?
,, ,, Balla-crink ?
Font in Kirk Arbory.
Part of the tower of Kirk Braddon ?
Choir of the Cathedral church of S. Germanus. (1245.)
Nave of the Cathedral church of S. Germanus.
Ruined chapel of S. Trinnion.
,, ,, at Balla-quinney-more?
Part of the ruins of the Abbey of S. Mary, Rushin.
The ruins of the Friary, in Kirk Arbory.
Kirk Bride, chancel and nave.
(Those that have an asterisk are old churches rebuilt: those marked with a dagger have some remains of antiquity)
S. Jude, Ballachurry.
Bishop's Court Chapel.*
Castle Town S. Mary.
,, ,, King William's College.
Kirk Christ Lezayre.*
,, Christ Rushin.*
Douglas S. Barnabas.
,, S. George.
,, S. Matthew.
,, S. Thomas.
S. John's Chapel.*
S. Mark's Chapel.
Ramsay S. Peter.
,, S. Paul.
On the whole we may observe:-
1. That aisles were not used by Manx church architects: the single exception being the proposed south aisle to the cathedral. This may have arisen from the rudeness of the artists, which rendered a pier and an arch formidable. But may it not also have originated in the quarterland chapels being taken as the models of ecclesiastical architecture ? They no doubt had no aisles.
2. That the proportion of the churches seems to have been nearly the same-from 60 to 70 feet in length; from 16 to 20 feet in breadth- very much the proportion of the Welsh and Northumberland churches, and, as Mr. Petrie proves, of the ancient Irish ones.
3. That apses were unknown;-another testimony to the flat end being a principle of the great Irish school of church art.-See the Ecclesiological late Cambridge Camden Society's HandBook, p. 41.
4. That towers, with the one exception of the cathedral, were not in use.