Manx Settlement in Holt County Missouri


This page was put together some years ago and now given me for inclusion on this site by Lois Ralph who added a note that she is not related to any of the families mentioned and merely edited information already available at the Holt County Historical Society and the book "Gone Home". It is hoped that by highlighting the otherwise ignored Manx presence in this corner of the world, some readers may find a lost family connection. Some additional information has been added from additional later research.


In 1836, a two million acre tract of land known as the Platte Purchase was ceded to the State of Missouri. The Platte Purchase which had been an Indian reservation is located in the northwest corner of the state between the Missouri River and the original state boundary. It consists of rolling prairie grasslands bordered or traversed by wooded rivers and streams. In the early days, there was abundant wild game including buffalo, deer and wild turkey as well as wild plums, nuts and berries along the banks of streams.
The territory which is one of the most fertile farming areas in Missouri was obtained from several Indian tribes in exchange for lands in Kansas and Nebraska, as well as 7,500 dollars and certain land improvements and services in the new reservations.
The Platte Purchase which was divided into six counties including Holt County, was released for homesteading by which new settlers who could obtain up to 160 acres by clearing and cultivating a half acre and building a house which they usually constructed of hewn logs mortared with mud.
Settlers from adjoining northern and southern states as well as immigrants from the British Isles and Europe settled there in large numbers before and after the Civil War. Among the settlers to the Platte country were some 64 Manx adults and children according to the 1880 census. The majority of them became residents of Holt County which was organised in 1841.

The 1880 census also shows that 38 Manx, mainly tradesmen and their families resided in St. Louis, Missouri, a rapidly developing city in the 19th century. In addition 51 Manx immigrants were living in 14 other counties scattered throughout the state.
To make an exact count of Manx settlers to Missouri from census data would be difficult because of transcription errors or misidentification of the origin of immigrants from the Isle of Man. There was also a lot of movement by some settlers searching for better opportunities or wanting to remove themselves from tensions caused by clashes between abolitionists and slave owning plantation owners prior to and during the Civil war.

This fertile land of Holt County which was compared by some with the Garden of Eden, provided great promise and opportunity for the new settlers. Nevertheless, the earliest pioneers would have encountered such problems as isolation, periodic floods, droughts, hail and tornados. Associated with droughts were grasshopper plagues and a lack of well water. The earliest settlers would later have to deal with the constant threat of warfare because of the slavery issue. For the earliest Manx immigrants who settled in Holt County, mainly after 1847, they would have only a few years to get established before the beginning of the Kansas-Missouri border wars (between abolitionists and slave owners) of 1854-1861 and the Civil War of 1861-1865.

The following names of Manx immigrants to Holt County were extracted from the 1880 census and a few names added that did not appear on the census but are mentioned in local history books of the county.

Name Year of arrival
to Holt County
Wil1iam Banks 1841 first permanent white settler in Holt County
Thomas Cottier 1847 cousin to the Callows, Stevensons & Kennishes
Thomas Teare 1847 with sons Thomas and William accompanied Thomas Cottier
Catherine (Callow) Cottier 1849 mother of John Cottier aunt to all the Callows below
James Cottier 1849 brother of Thomas Cottier died 1851
Phillip Cottier 1849 brother of Thomas Cottier died 1858
Mary Elizabeth Cottier 1849 sister of Thomas Cottier
Elizabeth Bridson 1849 seamstress to the Cottier family
James Kneale 1849 neighbour of John Cottier in the IOM
John Kelly 1849 moved to St. Louis by 1860
Ann Kelly 1849 wife of John Kelly; daughter Ann age came with parents
John Callow 1858 brother of Catherine (Callow) Kennish
Thomas Callow 1858? brothers Thomas, William and James were first cousins of John Callow
William Callow 1858? (Civil War Veteran)
Thomas Quirk 1848 (moved to Kansas by 1870)
Robert Cain 1865 came to America in 1845 and the Platte Purchase (Buchanan County) in 1848; temporarily in Holt County in 1847
Peter Galbraith 1865 nephew of William Banks
Robert Stevenson 1869 died 1876
Margaret (Callow) Stevenson 1869 sister of Thomas. William & James Callow & Jane (Callow) Garrett
1869 William & Eunice Stevenson came with their parents
James Callow 1870
William Kennish 1870 lay preacher in the IOM & Holt Co.
Catherine (Callow) Kennish 1870 sister of John Callow, first cousin of Thomas, William & James Callow, Jane (Callow) Garrett & Margaret (Callow) Stevenson
12 children of William and Catherine (Callow) Kennish accompanied their parents in 1870: Ann, Catherine, Margaret, Christian Callow, Robert, John, Jane, James, Ellen, Alice, Edward and Thomas Henry.
William Skelly circa 1870 (married Jane Cottier daughter of John Cottier the son of Thomas Cottier above)
James Garrett 1870 came to Illinois in 1856
Jane (Cannell) Garrett 1870
William Kisseck c.1870
Jane ( ? ) Kisseck c.1870
Robert Carmane (Kermeen) 1873
Thomas Garrett 1876 moved to Nebraska by 1897
Jane (Callow) Garrett 1876 sister of Margaret (Callow) Stevenson, Thomas, William & James Callow 5 children of Thomas and Jane (Callow) Garrett came out with their parents in 1876: Ellen, Thomas, William, Edward and Robert
Daniel Cain n/a hotel keeper in Holt County
William McDuff n/a
William Corkill n/a

William Banks

William Banks, the first Manxman to settle in Holt County was born on the Isle of Man, Oct. 21, 1811, according to a biography dictated by him to a reporter. His parents were Thomas and Catherine Banks, both natives of the Isle of Man. He was raised on a farm and received a common school education.

Later research indicates that William was actually the first son and second child of Thomas Kermode and Catherine Bridson who married in Kk German(Peel) on 2nd February 1802 with William baptised at Peel 21 Oct 1811. The name change was presumably to avoid capture and imprisonment for jumping ship and breaking his apprenticeship agreement. His elder sister married Peter Galbreath at Peel on 24 July 1832 though an earlier son had been born in 1830; their second son was Peter baptised at Douglas St Matthew's 10 June 1838 - noted as in Peel in 1851. Thomas Kermode was the second son of Wm Kermode and Mary Quiggin, baptised 23rd Jan 1774 in Peel and noted at Balla Killy ny Hawn (Kk German) in the 1814 'census' - Thomas, wife and their two eldest children (Wm + Catherine) appear to be resident in Peel in Peel in 1814 where Thomas acquired property over a 20 year period (a Thomas Kermode is noted as fisherman in one such deed but there may be two Thomases active). In 1829 (SSS Oct 1829 13b) Thomas + wife Catherine als Bridson sold their estate in Kk German known as Cronk-e-killy for £300 to a Lancashire businessman noting that the farm was tenented by Henry Sale - they look to have come into the farm by death of Thomas's elder brother William (will dated 8 Oct 1821;Cronk-e-killey;sibs Thos Kermode, Margt Cannell (widow)+ Mary Corkill (w/o Thos Corkill)jt exexs;sis's dau Anne Cannell;bro's dau Cath Kermode;sis's son Wm Corkill;sis's dau Mary Corkill;maidserv Cath Caine). Both Thomas + Catherine signed their names indicating they both had some education - it is likely that William was well educated - possibly spending time helping out on his uncle's or grandfather's farm before it passed to his father. Thomas died in 1836 and his widow would appear to have moved to Douglas by 1841.

About the age of 17, he went to Liverpool, England to work as a three year apprentice for 7 pounds a year, on a steamship freighter. His first voyage of seven months was to Mobile, Alabama, St. Andrews, Florida, the West Indies including Jamaica with return to Liverpool. He jumped ship and went aboard a vessel sailing to Baltimore and thence to New Orleans. In New Orleans in 1830, he hired on as a deckhand on a Mississippi steamboat, stern wheeler, and was in St. Louis late in the year of 1831.

After two years working on the Mississippi boats, he signed on as a deckhand for $15 a month, on the "Yellowstone", a small (144 ton) side wheeler Missouri river freighter, which was part of a fleet belonging to the American Fur Company. This company had a monopoly on the fur trade in the American part of the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains. In 1832, the "Yellowstone" loaded with trade goods, ascended the Missouri river from St. Louis, bound for Fort Union. This commercial trading post was located near the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone Rivers which is in North Dakota, (but close to the Montana border). Making this 3800 mile round trip by steam from St. Louis was considered a major achievement in transportation. News of the boat's success was carried in newspapers of America and Europe.

Deck crew on steamboats would be required to fire the boiler, man the pumps, handle the cargo, push the vessel off sandbars, snags or newly formed ice, and supply wood for fuel. The steamers would have to make a number of stops along the river, so that wood could be collected.

At a point three and a half miles below the present site of Forest City, Holt County, Mo., the "Yellowstone" made one such stop so that Banks could cut wood for the boiler. It was in the springtime and Banks observed a cold water spring with strong pressure gushing from the base of a limestone cliff. Of all the scenic spots along the Missouri River, William Banks was particularly attracted to it. Nine years later he would make this place his home and name it "Iowa Point". He also realized that at this location, there was plenty of wood and fresh water to support a permanent landing and supply station for the steamers.

Not knowing about Lewis and Clark, the explorers, who passed through in 1804, William Banks and the rest of the crew thought that he was the first white man to set foot in the area. They also did not know that the Lewis and Clark expedition had reported shelters of fur traders in the vicinity. William Banks was however, the first permanent white settler and the first Manxman to set foot in what was to become Holt County.

For three years he remained with American Fur Company and made the annual spring time trip to Fort Union and return to St. Louis. On the third such trip in 1834, the "Yellowstone" reached Fort Union in 75 days and returned in two weeks to St. Louis with a load of 8,000 buffalo robes and 6,200 wolf and fox hides. Throughout 1832 and 1833 the "Yellowstone" made numerous trips up the Missouri to other less distant destinations. During the winter months (November to March) the American Fur Company used this steamboat on the lower Mississippi river, making trips between New Orleans and the Yazoo River, a tributary of the Mississippi River.

After leaving the "Yellowstone," William Banks advanced to mate of the steamboat "Howard." With this advancement came a salary of $100 a month. He continued to travel the river system from New Orleans to Fort Union. He finally attained the rank of captain and likely doubled his previous wages as a mate. For his time, he was as familiar as any one, with the Missouri River.

Steamboat travel involved many perils. Snags caused by log debris, and sand bars often grounded or sank boats. If a steamboat traveled too early or too late in the season, it could be crippled by ice. Many boats were lost. Cholera was a constant concern, In July, 1833, only two of a crew of 10 survived a cholera outbreak on the "Yellowstone". Residents on shore threatened to burn the ship. William Banks must have been one of the two survivors. During the total of 10 years on the steamboats, he had two narrow escapes as a result of boiler explosions. In one incident when an explosion took place, some forty people died from the effect of steam.

He settled in Holt County when it was first organized in 1841. In the summer of 1841, he in partnership with John McIntosh, then clerk of the steamer "Thames," a regular Missouri river packet,.2 chartered that steamboat which was loaded with cypress shingles and other building materials, as well as $7000 of merchandise. On the 9th of August, 1841 they landed at the place of his dreams only to find to his dismay that a mulatto, a freed slave by the name of Jeffrey Dorway was occupying the 20 acres where the landing and spring were located and therefore had preempted it having squatter's rights. For $600, one half in cash with the rest in trade, Captain Banks was able to buy Dorway's claim. Furthermore, Banks persuaded Dorway to work for him as he well recognised Dorway's experience and building talents.

The place where Banks settled was called Jeffrey's Point, which later he renamed Iowa Point, in honour of the Iowa tribe.

Jeffrey Dorway was a pioneer in his own right. He proved to be an educated man with a lot of experience in many fields. He spoke English and French fluently and was used by the Indian agency as an interpreter because he spoke 5 Indian languages. He was well liked by the Indians and had been an observer at the signing of the Platte Purchase.

A store house of hewn logs, thirty-six by twenty feet was built at Iowa Point and stocked with goods that had been transported on the steamer. This mercantile business was the second one to be established in Holt County. Even though a great deal of trade was conducted with the natives who had a steady source of income in the form of "annuities" or treaty money, the business failed and William Banks suffered considerable financial loss.

In 1844, Dorway built a flat boat for Banks who started a ferry business across the river at Iowa Point. The first use of the ferry was Sept. 1844 when a group of US cavalry troops returned from an expedition visiting Pawnee villages. With the $50 earned on that day, Banks entered for his first 40 acres of land. He ferried many people, teams and stock across the river as it was a popular emigrant crossing during the "Gold Rush" and very profitable. On a good day, he cleared as much as $144. Other income was generated from a wood lot that supplied steamboats with fuel as well as water from the spring.

Many of the people, who used the ferry, were making their way across the plains to California or the Oregon Coast. Some of the several thousand Indians who lived on either side of river also used Bank's ferry.

During this time of initial prosperity, he built a house near the spring. In 1848, according to one account, Captain Banks and Dorway built three limestone buildings from the nearby limestone cliffs; a two story house, a horse stable with a loft and a granary. The limestone dwelling was known locally as the "Rock House". The walls of the house were two feet thick and the joists consisted of hewn walnut logs.

By learning some of the Indian languages and becoming acquainted with their chiefs, Banks cultivated a great friendship with these people. He also frequently met Indian women, one of whom, he took for a wife. Her name was Wah-Rush-Ka-Me of the Iowa tribe. A marriage was performed by Indian custom but on the Missouri state side of the river. From this union, Joseph Banks was born circa 1848. Wah-Rush-Ka-Me must have died soon after giving birth and the baby was looked after outside of the Banks home since Joseph does not appear on the 1850 US census with his father.

Less than a year after Joseph Banks was born, William Banks took another Indian wife, Jane Newasha, a teacher and member of Sac-Fox tribe. A son of the second union was named William Banks jr., who was born August 24th, 1849. Jane died of blood poisoning (before the 1850 census), and at her request was buried in the burial grounds of her people on the Sac-Fox Indian Reservation near White Cloud, Kansas. Prior to 1860, Banks senior, by an act of the Missouri state legislature, had his son William's birth legitimised. William Banks never "remarried".

He raised the two boys at the "Rock Farm" by the spring. A black slave woman (aged 45 on the 1850 census) helped with the housekeeping and looking after his sons.

On the 1860 US census, William Banks is recorded with his two sons Joseph and William, both listed as age 11. The 1860 slave schedule shows that he was the owner of three slaves, one of whom was the woman who had looked after his sons when they were babies.

In 1865, his niece, Catherine Galbraith whom he had requested to come from the Isle of Man to be his housekeeper, and his nephew Robert Galbraith born on the Isle of Man were staying with him.

After selling the ferry in 1856, William Banks became engaged in farming, stock raising, the timber business and occasionally loaning money. With these ventures, he became financially very successful. He owned some 1280 acres in 1855.

Both his sons married white women and had children. Joseph Banks married Elizabeth Ellen Fitzsimmons 7th April, 1872 in Missouri. To them were born four children, Oscar, Willie, Ada, and Bessie (Ettie). William Banks jr. married Sarah Helen Wake March 25th, 1872 in Holt County. To this marriage, nine children were born: Lewis A., Annie, Walter, Leona, Theresa, William Henry, Matthew, Alice, and Sidney A.

William and Helen Banks were given a 477 acre Banks farm north of Forest City as a wedding gift. A tract of land from this farm, was donated to establish the Banks school which was later moved and renamed Monticello. On the 1880 census, Joseph and William Banks jr. were listed as farmers on separate parcels of land in Holt County. Whether Joseph Banks received a similar gift of land has not been determined.

In August 1868, nearly the entire original tract of land including Iowa Point, was flooded by waters of the Missouri River which changed its course two and a half miles west. Iowa Point was therefore, left high and dry. A new landing was developed by other owners on the Kansas side of the river and the name Iowa Point was transferred with William Bank's permission, to the new location.

The house which was not destroyed by the flood, was still inhabited in the early part of the 20th century. All that remains today of the original Iowa Point site, is the ruins of William Bank's "Old Rock House" which has been designated an historic landmark. In the 1940's, the big spring stopped flowing as a result of heavy blasting in a quarry on the other side of the limestone cliff.

William Banks senior lived in what was considered a modest dwelling (resembles a Manx cottage but had a wood shingle roof); the ruins of which are located just south of the town of Oregon.

His life was simple as was his surroundings. He was daring in his youth, thrifty, enterprising and readily made friends. He was described as having a jovial disposition and hospitable in manners. His letters to the Isle of Man influenced a few families to migrate to Holt County prior to the Civil War. They were the Cottiers, Teares, Kneales, Kellys, and Callows. They in turn wrote to others on the Island about their experiences which resulted in a second wave in the 1870's, of Manx migrants whose surnames included Galbraith, Stevenson, Kennish, Skelly, Garrett, Kisseck, Kermeen, and Corkill.

William Banks senior died at his home on the evening of March 2nd 1895 at the age of 84 years.

His estate was estimated to be worth $35,000.. By the terms of his will, the home farm of 160 acres which included the "Rock House" and "Big Spring" together with all livestock viz. four mules, three ponies, twenty six head of sheep, and forty or fifty shoats (recently weaned pigs), as well as 160 acres of bottom land,.3 went to his niece Catherine Galbraith who had been his housekeeper for 30 years.
According to her funeral card, Catherine Galbraith, who was born May 5th, 1833 in Kent, England died May 31, 1917 at the residence of her brother Peter Galbraith. She made bequests to a number of relatives and friends including her brother, his children, her sister Jane Christian (wife of James Christian) and her nephew John Peter Christian, both living in the Isle of Man.

In his will William Banks also gave a life estate to his remaining 320 acres of his land to his son William and the residue to William's children, after the last born reached the age of 21. A trust fund consisting of $3000 of bank stock and the sale of 160 acres was created to pay for all taxes, repairs and improvements on the devised land during the life of William Banks jr. and the residue divided equally amongst his children.
William Banks did not mention either his son Joseph, who had predeceased him or Joseph's heirs.

Joseph's children contested the will in a very determined suit which was carried to the state supreme court of Missouri but they lost the case and received nothing from the estate.
The grounds on which the judge based his ruling were that the marriage consummated in Missouri, under Indian custom, was not a valid marriage under Missouri State law. If William Banks had been married on the Indian reservation in Kansas, under Indian custom, and then brought his bride across the river to Missouri, the marriage would have been recognized, and Joseph's heirs could have inherited a portion of his estate.

Joseph's children who were quarter-bloods with Indian status, had each been granted 80 acres of good land on the Iowa Reservation and received two annuities a year from the government.4 Their names are included on an 1892 list of landowners of that reservation which is located in north-east Kansas.
In another twist, William Banks jr. who was a half-blood, died at his home in Preston, Nebraska Feb. 24th 1899 of typhoid fever. At the time of his death, he was occupying his allotment under Indian laws on the Sac-Fox reservation which borders the Iowa Reservation. His remains were brought to Holt County to be buried. He had removed to the reservation in Richardson County Nebraska March 26, 1896, in order to claim his Indian status benefits which also included 80 acres of land. He was survived by his wife and seven of his children. His eldest son Lewis took over management of the Holt County farm in 1901

2 a boat that is used for conveying mail, cargo and passengers on a regular schedule
3 bottom land low lying land adjacent to a river
4."The Dawes Act of 1887 provided that individual Indians could own their own plot of land. Hailed as a liberal reform when introduced, the real purpose and effect of the law was to break the communal tribal ownership of land. Tribes were rarely, if ever willing to sell land, but individuals could be persuaded to sell for cash, guns or liquor. Millions of acres were transferred from Indian to white ownership, as a result."

The Cardle Veg Callows and related families

As has already been noted, there were connections through marriage between the Cottiers, Stevensons and Garretts with the Callows who were members of the Cardle Veg farm family of Maughold. They were in total, nine first cousins and nineteen of their children who had come from the Isle of Man to settle in Holt County either before or after the Civil War.

Another Manx settler, who also encouraged relatives and neighbours on the Isle of Man to immigrate to Missouri, was Thomas Cottier. He came out in 1847 as a single man accompanied by Thomas Teare and his two sons, Thomas and William. Mention of Thomas Cottier in two local histories and two short local newspaper articles provide a good history of his life in Holt County.

Thomas Cottier

"Thomas Cottier, farmer and stock raiser, was among the early pioneers of Northwestern Missouri. His parents John and Catherine (Callow) Cottier, were both natives of the Isle of Man. Thomas was born on that Island on the 3rd of February, 1829. He remained at his birth place until 18 years of age, spending his boyhood days on the farm and receiving fair educational advantages. He crossed the ocean (from Liverpool) in February, 1847. After a voyage of nine weeks he landed at New Orleans, from where he went by steamboat to St. Louis and thence to Western Missouri. The final stage of the journey was by team to Holt County. He first engaged in teaming (driving horse drawn wagons) in (the town of) Oregon, (Missouri.) and soon after for the government on the plains during the Mexican War. (During the Mexican War of 1846-1848, he must have been one of hundreds of civilian teamsters hired by the US Quartermaster Corps to drive supply wagons. They would travel the Santa Fe Trail, which runs 780 miles (1260 kms.) across the Great Plains from Missouri to the Rocky Mountains.

He planned to go to California because of the "Gold Rush" but upon hearing of his father's death in 1849 in the Isle of Man, he returned there in order to bring his mother, brothers Phillip and James and sister Mary Elizabeth to Missouri. A farm was bought for his mother, Catherine (Callow) Cottier. It was located across the road from his own farm which is about 3 miles north of Oregon, Missouri.

Catherine (Callow) Cottier remained active and in possession of all her faculties until the time of her death in 1887 age 85. On the reverse side of her grave stone is inscribed the name of Miss Betsy Brideson who came from the Isle of Man with the Cottier family to America, as seamstress and maid, living with them until her death in 1880.)
Her sons James Cottier died in 1851 and Philip Cottier died at the age of 31 in 1857.

On the 7th of February, 1850 Mr. Cottier married Miss Minerva Beeler, a daughter of one of the early settlers of this county. She was a native of Indiana and came to Missouri with her mother's family in 1844. They settled in the bottom (flood plain of the Missouri) but the high water in the spring of 1844, compelled them to leave. They put their household goods on a raft and while wading, pushed the raft before them to the bluffs, some two miles distant.
Mr. Cottier and his wife subsequently located on the farm where he resided. He preempted * it in the fall of 1847 and since then gave his attention to farming. At that time, he owned a yoke of oxen and one horse. The cattle were used to break the ground and the horse to tread the corn (maize).

During the Civil War he served in the (58th) Enrolled Missouri Militia. (19 days) assisting in defending the property of the citizens. He filled the district offices several times but was no office seeker. He was a loyal Republican (the anti-slavery party), president of the Forest City Bank and president of the Forest City and Elevator Company.
Mr. C owned upwards of 1000 acres of fine land in Holt County and some 200 in Nebraska. The home farm contained 270 acres, was well improved. It had a good residence and an excellent orchard, twelve acres in extent of 600 bearing trees, (apples), two peach orchards and a large amount of small fruit. His farm was one of the finest in the country. He also had an excellent stock farm in Liberty Township.
He and his wife were active members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). They had eight children, seven of whom reached maturity. He gave to each of his children when they married, 50 acres of land in the Minnesota Valley north of Mound City (in Holt County).
Thomas Cottier died 19th Dec. 1899 and was buried with his wife at Oregon Cemetery, Holt County Missouri.

The People's Advocate May 5th, 1888 "Mr. Thomas Cottier who passes through our neighborhood almost daily, in passing to and from his numerous estates, is doing more to improve and develop resources of this country than any man we know of. A short time ago, he purchased 800 acres of land above Forest city, known as the 'Pocket', formerly considered to be worthless, except to raise frogs. He has improved it until it is growing for him a fine orchard of several hundred choice fruit trees, as well as grazing 279 head of cattle, the result of his enterprise"

* When a settler was physically on a property before the General Land Office could officially sell or even survey the land, the occupant was given a preemptive right to acquire the land by United States federal law.

Holt County Publication 1899

"How pleasant it is for children to get along nicely and harmoniously as they journey along through this vale of tears. Uncle Thomas Cottier who died recently, left a number of children, all of whom married, and as Uncle Thomas said to us at one time 'he had not lived in vain'. He had lived to see all his children grow up and all within the Church's fold.
The children held a meeting one day last week and in a very short time, without argument, agreed upon the division of 2150 acres owned by their father at the time of his death. Mrs. Elliot and Mrs. Keider will own the old homestead; Robert and John will take the land in the bottom;* James is given the land near John Callow's; and Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Hall are given the land in the lower bottom south of Forest City".

Their seven surviving children were all buried in various cemeteries in Holt County, Missouri. Further details concerning this family can be found In "Gone Home, a catalogue of burials in the cemeteries of Holt County and items of interest pertaining to people and places of the county 1837-1981." Also some researchers of this family have placed their studies on the Internet.

The Holt County Cardle Veg Callows

The many descendants of the Cardle Veg Callows, may find the Missouri Callow family connections of interest. William Callow (1823-1892), the fifth generation Callow owner of Cardle Veg farm and his wife Catherine (Kerruish) Callow (1804-1859) had nine children, three of whom immigrated to North America. They were John Callow (1837-1922), his sister Catherine (Callow) Kennish (1826-1897) who both settled in Holt County, Missouri and Thomas Edward Callow (1838-1904) who settled in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Catherine (Callow) Cottier (1802-1899) who has been previously mentioned, settled with her family at the age of 47 in Holt County. She was a sister of William Callow, the fifth generation owner of Cardle Veg.
Daniel Callow (1805- ?), a younger brother of the William Callow, mentioned above and Catherine (Cottier) Callow had nine children. Five of Daniel's children settled in Holt County Mo. They were Thomas (1837-1870) and James (1843-1912) who remained bachelors, William (1838-?) who was a Civil War veteran and may have returned to the Isle of Man, Jane (Callow) Garrett (1842- ?) and Margaret (Callow) (Stevenson) Wampler (1835-1915).
Details and experiences of the early settlers among members of the extended Cardle Veg Callow in Holt County have been preserved through obituaries, wills and local newspaper articles much of which have been collected by the Holt County Historical Society. A sampling of this information documents some of the experiences of these people.

"John Callow Obituary"

"John Callow, son of William Callow and Catherine (Kerruish Callow, was born at the farm, Cardle Veg, near Ramsey, Isle of Man April 18, 1837 and died at his home near Oregon, Missouri, March 16, 1922 aged 84 years, 10 months, and 28 days.
He grew to manhood in his native land, coming to America in 1858. The trip across the Atlantic was made in a sailing vessel and required six weeks from Liverpool to New York. In one storm they were driven back 500 miles. He made his way to St. Joseph and up the Missouri River to Forest City and to * Bottom alluvial plain of the Missouri River the home of another Manxman and relative Thomas Cottier. (On the 1860 US census, he and his cousin William Callow are recorded as staying with the Cottiers.) Here he made his home for a number of years during times of unemployment. In this same home was Ananias Tahl, and there grew a friendship in these homesick days, which lasted through life.
He worked for the different farmers of the neighborhood, and in pay for his services he was compelled to accept any stock or other things of value offered. By one man he was paid with a yoke of oxen, by another a pony, and from another traded a work horse for the pony, the difference representing pay for his work. In his own words "there was no money to be had'.
The first fall he spent here, he was attacked by chills, and the only reason for not returning to his native land was a lack of the necessary capital. (There were very heavy rains that year.)
He married Feb. 4th, 1864, to Elizabeth, daughter of Judge (also a farmer) John Gibson and wife, who was born and raised in Holt County. By this time he had accumulated the necessary stock and implements to start farming for himself. He rented a farm in the Shiloh district, now known as the Weightman place, and began work. Here he met with another reverse. The barn, in which his livestock were kept, caught fire from some unknown cause and he lost all his feed and some mules. It was at this time that he met the Good Samaritan of his life, in the person of Andrew Meyer, who furnished him teams and feed. The country was new and fertile and a fine crop was produced. That corn crop was dropped by hand, covered with a hoe, and tended with a single shovel. This procedure required three trips across the field to cultivate each row.
The next year1865, he farmed what is known as the Hitz Orchards Co.'s farm in the Lincoln district (of Holt County). In the fall of the same year, he bought the farm (eventually expanded to 400 acres) where he spent the remainder of his life. At that time there was no herd law, and all crop land had to be fenced. After improving this farm, it could have been sold for $50 an acre while land in the northern part of the county, could be bought for $10 an acre.
Mr. Callow visited his native land in 1891. The voyage was made on the White Star Lines steamship, Majestic. This time the trip was made in five days and eighteen hours, a record for that time.
(This trip probably was to visit his eldest brother William 1823-1892, who may have been in ill health. There was an item in Sentinel Feb. 19, 1892 concerning his death. "John Callow of near Oregon, Mo., has received the sad intelligence announcing the death of his brother Wm. Callow of Cardle Veg, Maughold, Isle of Man, which occurred Jan. 18, 1892. He was in his 69th year. The memorial card sent from across the water is elegant and unique and shows that the art presentation in the old world keeps pace with the new.)"
His wife, Catherine (Gibson) Callow died February 7, 1896. She was the mother of seven children; of these two died in infancy. One son Lee Callow died in May, 1908 at the age of 30 years. The four surviving children Sarah (Callow) Shafer of Edison Nebraska; William E. of Drummond, Idaho; John Robert, of Grand junction, Colorado, and Thomas Arthur of Oregon (Mo). All were present at the funeral, except William.

In 1897, he was married to Naomi Meek, who survives him and who cared for him so faithfully in his declining years. Into their home came a little orphan, who was cared for until she grew to womanhood. She is now Mrs. Clayton Tucker, of Marceline Mo. On account of sickness in her family, she was unable to attend.
John Callow was christened in the Methodist Church in childhood. On coming to America he united with the Christian (Disciples of Christ) Church. He was the seventh child in a family of eight, and his passing marks the last of the family. One brother, Thomas, lived in Winnipeg (died 1904); one sister, Mrs. William Kennish, lived in northern Holt County, and the others spent their lives in the land of their birth. Of his cousins who came to America, only one, Mrs. James Curtis, (was the daughter of Thomas Cottier) survives.
He was a rugged man and outlived most of his active day associates. Some of those remain are: John Keaster of Mound City; M.V.B. Cass, N. P. (Patsy) Everson Thomas Miller of Forest City, and James Curtis of Oregon, (Mo).
His home was a haven to the unfortunate. No one was ever turned away hungry. He was kind to his family, a neighborly friend, and no man had more charity for his fellowman than John Callow.
Funeral services were conducted from the Christian Church in Oregon on Sunday afternoon, March 19, by Albert Martin of Forest City, and a large crowd was in attendance. Internment was in Maple Grove Cemetery.
Those (people) from a distance attending the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. Charles Shafer, Edison, Nebr.; J. R. Callow, Grand Junction, Colorado; Clayton Tucker, Marceline; Mr. and Mrs. William Tyson, Mr. and Mrs. James Gibson, Mrs. Jane Gibson, James Kennish, W. S. Erwin. William Bissett, Fred Cottier, Mound City; George Cottier, Lincoln, Nebraska; E. D. Gould, Drummond, Idaho "
There are descendants of John Callow still bearing the Callow surname, in Holt County. One grandson, John Arthur Callow who was elected in 1964, as a Missouri state representative for Holt County, still operates a real estate firm, an advertisement for which can be found on the Internet.

The Kennishes

Catherine (Callow) Kennish, sister of John Callow (1837-1922) described above, came with her husband William Kennish and their 12 surviving children to Holt County from the Isle of Man in 1870. William Kennish was a farmer of 118 acres at Cornay, Maughold and operated a water driven corn (grain) mill on his property. He was also a Primitive Methodist lay preacher at Cornaa church, Maughold. A picture of the second Cornaa Church which was built in 1866 and in where he would have preached for a few years before he left the Island, can be found on the Manx Notebook. The brief account of William Kennish which begins in "A History of Kk Maughold", page 297 can now be completed with his obituary and will.

Sentinel Nov. 5, 1897 (with additions)
"Death of William Kennish"
"Rev. Wm. Kennish (who) was born in the Isle of Man, July 16, 1826, died at his home in Liberty Township, Holt County, Missouri, October 30, 1897 aged 71 years, 3 months and 14 days. On August 23rd, 1848 he was married to Miss Catherine Callow, who preceded him to the grave only one month earlier. To them were born 13 children, 12 of them still living, (7 daughters and 6 sons.) One son died at an early age in the old country. All the surviving children were present at the funeral service except Mrs. David Kelly of Greeley, Colorado, who was physically unable to make the trip.
In the month of June, 1870, Mr. Kennish accompanied by his wife and family of 12 children, the youngest being 6 months old, came to America and Holt County where they had many relatives and friends. In 1872, land was purchased in the Liberty neighborhood and they moved to their new home as soon as it was built. From there, they participated in the development of homes, churches and schools. Church services were conducted for a time from the Kennish home.
At the age of 18, Mr. Kennish began preaching the Gospel in the Primitive Methodist Church in the Isle of Man. When he first came to America, he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church where he retained his membership; until death. He continued to preach and served as a local minister for 25 years. His first license to preach as an elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church was dated Feb. 1877 and was signed by Rev. J.H. Hopkins. He was ordained a deacon in the church by Bishop C.D. Foss in St. Joseph, Mo. March 9th, 1884.
The funeral was largely attended by his neighbors and friends from miles around. His body was quietly laid to rest by the side of his wife in the New Liberty cemetery."
William Kennish bequeathed his 240 acre farm and farm house to his two youngest unmarried daughters and youngest son. He left nothing to the rest of his children whom he named in his will and requested that should any of his children not named as legatees become needy, the children who were beneficiaries should help their siblings to the best of their ability

Will of William Kennish 1897 Holt County, Mo.

In the name of God Amen.
I William Kennish of Holt County, Missouri, aged seventy-on years, and being of sound mind do make this last will and testament as follows:
I give and devise to my daughters Jane Kennish and Alice Kennish and son Thomas H. Kennish the farm on which I now live described as follows to wit: The south east quarter and the south half of the north east quarter of section two (2) in Township sixty two (62) Range thirty-nine (39) in Holt County, Missouri to have and to hold in fee simple absolute, share and share alike, above devise being made in lieu of any and all claims said legalities may have against my estate.
I bequeath to my daughters Jane Kennish and Alice Kennish all of my personal property of whatsoever kind or description.
It is my will and desire that my children, Anne Cairns, Catherine Bissett, Christian Kelly, Margaret Allen, Robert Kennish, John Kennish, Ellen Tyson, James Kennish and Edward Kennish, take nothing under this my last will and testament.
I request that my daughters Jane Kennish and Alice Kennish and son Thomas H Kennish have the privilege of a home where I now reside as along as they or either of them desire it. I further request that should any of my children not named as legatees herein become needy and require help, that my daughters Jane Kennish and Alice Kennish and my son Thomas H. Kennish will enable them to do so.
I appoint my son Thomas H. Kennish executor of this my last will by me made.
In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name this October 2nd 1897.
(Signed) William Kennish
The foregoing instrument was at the date thereof signed and declared by the said William Kennish to be his last will and testament in the presence of us who at his request and in his presence and the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto.
David W. Porter Mound City Mo.
James Cannon

One of William Kennish's sons, John Kennish was a lawyer who became a senator in the Missouri State Legislature and later a judge of the Supreme Court of Missouri. An obituary can be found in the Manx Quarterly .

Five Children of Daniel Callow of Cardle Veg

The five adult children of Daniel Callow of Cardle Veg and his wife Elinor Kewley who settled in Holt County were Margaret (1832- 1915), Thomas (1837-1870), William (1838-?), Jane (1842-?) and James (1843-1912). All were christened at Kk Maughold and the three siblings whose death dates are known, were buried in Holt County.

Of the remaining children in the family, Catherine (christened 1840 Maughold) was in London, England at the time of the death of her brother Thomas in 1870. The three youngest members of the family (John christened.1845, Ann christened 1848 and Edward christened 1850, are presumed to have remained on the Island. Thomas Callow, who died in 1870 in Holt County shortly after the writing of his will, named his mother, all his siblings and appointed his cousin John Callow, executor of his will. Unfortunately, with the exception of his sister Elizabeth, there is no conclusive record of where the youngest members of the family were living at the time of probate of Thomas Callow's will.

Will of Thomas Callow

Benton (Township) this Oct. 25th. I Thomas Callow having fear of God and the shortness of life before my eyes and being of sound mind and in full possession of my mental faculties do hereby leave and bequeath to my Dear Mother Ellen Callow the sum of eight hundred dollars ($800.)
I do hereby leave and bequeath to my dear Sister Margaret Stevenson the sum of eight hundred dollars ($800.)
I do hereby leave and bequeath to my dear brother William Callow the sum of fifty dollars ($50.)
I do hereby leave and bequeath to my dear Brother James Callow my silver watch.
I do hereby and bequeath to my dear sister Margaret Stevenson all my house hold furniture.
I do hereby leave and bequeath to my dear Cousin John Callow my two ploughs one spade and one pair of bob sleighs also my share of corn planter.
It is my will that all my corn wheat and hogs be sold and the proceeds be applied to my debts.
It is my will that after my debts and last expenses are paid tthe balance of my property be equally divided between my Dear Brothers James Callow, John Callow and Edward Callow and my dear Sisters Jane Garrett and Anne Callow.
In witness whereof I have set my hand this the twenty fifth day of Oct. eighteen hundred and seventy his
Thomas X Callow
Witness John Callow
William H Chase jr
Codicil I do hereby appoint my cousin John Callow to be my Sole Administrator
Thomas X Callow
Witness John Callow
William H Chase jr.

Thomas Callow died before the 9th of November when the will was presented to the court. His farm of 138 acres had to be sold to pay the bequests of $1700 since only $134.05 was left after all debts were paid. The last entry on his grocery bill was Oct. 26, 1870, so his death was apparently sudden.
An inventory of his chattels were:
7 hogs $51.00
18 bushels of wheat $9.00
1 hand saw $1.50
1 man's saddle $5.00
one half of about 45 acres of corn $168.05 due from John Callow, Henry Mayfield and Robert Stevenson
138 acres

Apparently the sale of the farm did not cover the bequests as Catherine Callow who was living in London, England acknowledged the receipt of only $50 from Thomas Callow's estate.
Further information on the ancestors of the Cardle Veg Callows and the related Kennish family can be found on Constance Radcliffe's descendency charts, copies of which are held by the IoMFamHistSoc and Manx Museum. These charts are invaluable because they include a record of all the wills used in their preparation. Gedcoms of these families are also available on the Internet but generally don't reveal sources.

Civil War Militia Records

Although Holt County was removed from most of the fighting which occurred further south in the state of Missouri during the Civil War of 1861-1865, there were occasional skirmishes and intrusions by wandering bands of Confederate irregular troops.
In July 1862, a militia was formed of part-time citizen soldiers who would only be called up in times of emergency and only paid during those specific times of call-up. This part-time military force was named the "Enrolled Missouri Militia". On average, most men in the EMM served only a few days or a few weeks over the duration of the war which lasted another two and a half years. These regiments conducted local patrols and garrisoned towns within a specific area. The role of 58th Enrolled Missouri Militia Regiment for example was to defend Holt County and the area immediately north of it, Atchison County.
Veterans of the EMM were not eligible for Federal Government pensions after the war concluded.

The following Manx settlers were members of the 58th Enrolled Missouri Militia.
Corporal James Cottier served 32 days in 1862 Company G
Private Thomas Cottier served 19 days in 1862 Company A
Private John Callow served 5 days in 1862 Company G
Private Thomas Callow served 32 days in 1862 Company G
The relatively low activity of the 58th EMM seems to be a reflection of a limited number of raids by Confederate partisans in Holt and Atkinson counties. For comparison sake, a John Cottier who was enrolled in 1862 into the 38th EMM, a regiment which was located at Hannibal in the north east part of Missouri, served a total of 303 days before being relieved of duty two years later. It was the role of the 38th EMM to defend a railroad line and bridges from frequent attacks by Confederate partisans.

William Callow, (brother of Thomas and James), served 6 months as a private in the "Six months Missouri State Militia" in 1861-62. This unit was a precursor to the Enrolled Missouri Militia. He was mustered out April 2, 1862 and 8 days later, joined the 4th Regiment Missouri State Militia Cavalry Volunteers as a wagoner (equivalent rank of corporal). This regiment experienced considerable action against Confederate forces in central and southern Missouri. He was discharged for a disability encountered at Sedalia, Mo., March 1863 and is listed as a civil war veteran in the National Parks index of Civil War Veterans. Members of the EMM are not included on this index. William has not been found on later US censuses and his whereabouts after the war has not been determined.

Reenactments of the Civil War are now a popular past time in America. Holt County commemorates one of its' own, the battle of Blair Hill in 1861. During this skirmish, Confederate and Union soldiers exchanged a lot of bullets. The Confederates ran out of ammunition and escaped on their horses. The only casualty reported was one horse.
James Callow (1843-1912) arrived in America in 1870 according to the 1900 US census, and went directly to Holt County, since he appears on the 1870 US census and is listed as a farmer. He never married and lived the rest of his life in Holt County.

On the 1870 census, his sister Margaret (Callow) Stevenson was housekeeping for him. With Margaret was her husband Robert Stevenson who is recorded as a farm labourer and with them was their son William Stevenson, age 7. Meanwhile their daughter Eunice Stevenson age 10, was living on another farm with Elizabeth (Cottier) Curtis, the daughter of John Cottier, and her husband James Curtis and their young daughter.

Robert Stevenson died in 1876 and by the 1880 census, Margaret (Callow) Stevenson had remarried and was now the wife of Isaac Wampler, a widower. Margaret's son William Stevenson was living with his mother and stepfather. On the 1880 census, Eunice Stevenson was now housekeeping for James Callow, her bachelor uncle. Eunice's surname is unrecognizable ("Steoerison") on the 1880 IGI transcription since several of the letters making up her surname on the original census form, are badly formed.
Margaret (Callow) Wampler was widowed a second time when Isaac Wampler died in 1882.
Isaac Wampler willed to her the family farm and house and she continued to look after two of Isaac Wampler's underage children as well as her own son William Stevenson. On the 1900 and 1910 census she was living with her son and his family consisting of 4 children.
Her daughter, Eunice Stevenson married Jasper Radley and became the mother of seven children. As Eunice Radley, she was the informant on both the death certificates of her uncle James Callow who died in 1912 and her mother Margaret Wampler in 1915. It should be noted that Missouri death certificates from 1910 up to 1950 are either available on the Internet or can be ordered for a very low fee. They provide much more genealogical information when properly completed, than can be found on similar death certificates of the British Isles.
The will of James Callow who died 1912 in Holt County, seems to be missing. William Stevenson, his nephew was the executor. The assets consisted of a number of promissory notes due to James Callow amounting to $1833.70. Whatever cash that was recovered, was distributed to William Stevenson and three of James Callow's friends. On the 1900 and 1910 census, James Callow is identified as being born in England. There seems to have been a tendency on later US census not to consider the Isle of Man as a separate country of origin.
Jane (Callow) Garrett, her husband Thomas Garrett and their 5 children: Ellen, Thomas, William, Edward and Robert, left the Isle of Man in 1876 and settled on a farm in Holt County. They are recorded on the 1880 census in Holt County but moved to Nebraska by 1897. On the 1900 census, Thomas senior, now a widower and three of his sons Thomas, William and Edward are living in Carrico Township, Hayes County, Nebraska. Although all the Garretts were all listed by the enumerator as being born in the Isle of Man, someone has crossed out this entry and written "England". Therefore these Garretts are recorded on the IGI and on the 1900 and 1910 census as being born in England. (Here is yet another good reason to look at the original census documents whenever possible. For those with access to which is available now at large public libraries, original census forms can be viewed on home computers at no extra cost beyond regular library membership fees where required. Of course most LDS libraries have had available for some time.)

James Garrett

James Garrett (1834-1920) is not related as far as is known, either to the Callows or Garretts described above. His biography is included however, to make the point that even a poorly educated Manx immigrant could still make a fair success of himself and provide opportunities for his children that would not have been anticipated, if had he stayed on the Island.

"James Garrett Obituary"

"James Garrett, the son of Robert and Jane (Cannal) Garrett, was born on the Isle of Man, December 23, 1834. His parents were natives of the same community, (Onchan), where they married and passed their lives in modest farming operations. Although honest and industrious people, they never gained more than a small property. One of seven children, James Garrett was early forced to take his place among the world's workers, His education was of a decidedly limited character in his youth, although in later years was broadened by experience, observation and reading. He was twenty one years of age when he left the parental home and embarked on a career of his own. Locating in Illinois in 1856, he accepted work as a day labourer on a farm. After some years, he was able to rent a property, although he continued to accept such odd work as came his way and saved his earnings carefully in order that he might accumulate enough to be the proprietor of land of his own. In 1870, Mr. Garrett came to Missouri where he secured 160 acres of land for $9.00 an acre in Hickory Township, Holt County and took up residence there.
When Mr. Garrett came to Holt County, he found a wild, raw prairie, without a tree or shrub. The soil was virgin and not an improvement of any kind had been made. He took up his residence in his little pioneer home and put his land under cultivation. For many years he was numbered among the progressive and enterprising agriculturists of the community. Adding to his holdings from time to time, he was eventually the owner of 560 acres of productive property.
In his political views, Mr. Garrett was a Democrat. He was a member of the Episcopal Church.
Mr. Garrett was married in Illinois, at the age of twenty six years, to Miss Jane Skillicorn, daughter of Phillip Skillicorn. They were the parents of seven children: James Edwin, John Thomas, Joseph Philip, Robert Peel, Jane Lenora, Stella Margaret, and Sanka Arthur, who died at the age of fifteen months. Mrs. Garrett passed away March 25, 1908. Mr. Garrett passed away at his country residence on November 3, 1920 at the age of 85 years."

Sentinel Nov. 11, 1917 "Back to the Old Home

Robert Garrett of St. Louis was here Monday looking at the county court, and about the bridges to be let over the Nodaway drainage canal. Robert and John are Holt County boys, sons of Mr. and Mrs. James Garrett who came here from Illinois in 1870 and located in the Shiloh district, but now in the Crozen (district). The boys, Robert and John, graduated from the civil engineering department of the State University. John is president of the Missouri Bridge and Iron Company, of St. Louis, one of the largest structural iron firms of our state, while Robert is vice president and treasurer of the firm with business that extends over many states. Uncle Jimmie (age 83 at the time this article was written) came to town Monday, and made Robert go home with him, to visit a while. Father Garrett has a third son, James, an 1866 civil engineering graduate also of the State University. He was connected with the Santa Fe Railroad, and later in the mining fields of Mexico, but of late we have lost track of him. (At the time of the 1920 census, he was managing the laying of telephone lines in Florida). His fourth boy is Joseph, still staying by his 240 acres in Squaw Creek. A fine set of boys, has Uncle Jimmie Garrett." (All four sons were born in the Isle of Man).

Final Remarks

References to Manx settlers can be found, sometimes unexpectedly, in the files of various US historical societies scattered throughout the country. This account of the Holt County Manxmen, has included the first Manx settler, families related to the Cardle Veg Callows, and an unrelated Garrett who despite limited education and finances gained fair success for himself and his children. Other Manx settlers for which biographies are available but not included in this paper are; James Kneale, Robert Cain, and Peter Galbraith. In the neighbouring county of Atkinson there are also references to Charles Monier, William Cowley and Thomas Kelly.

The Manx in Holt County, by not all concentrating in one area as was the case in some of the north east states, were able to assimilate easily. They contributed well to their community and their surnames can still be found in telephone and business directories of the county and state. An indication that the early Manx settlers were well regarded can be seen by the comment in a 1911 Holt County newspaper article. "No Holt County manksman has sought refuge in the county infirmary, learned a trade at the expense of the state or took up free boarding and lodging with a sheriff. So let's take off our hats to our manksmen".

 [Genealogy Index]


Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© Lois Ralph + F.Coakley , 2019