[From IoM Examiner Annual 1931]
The most destructive floods in the Island in living memory occurred on the night of September 17th-18th , when many thousands of pounds worth of property was damaged and destroyed at Laxey, Glen Auldyn, Rushen Abbey, Ballasalla, and in many other parts of the Island.
Our picture shows the havoc wrought in Glen Road Laxey, where a huge cavity was torn in the high road
This picture shows the portion of Laxey Quay which split off, and afterwards fell into the harbour. which, on that account, had to be closed to shippings.
The bridge leading to Douglas Corporation Housing Estate and the New Electric Power Station, was carried away
Mayor of Douglas, entered public life 23 years ago, when he became a member of the Douglas Board of Guardians. He has been a member ever since, and in 1913 was chairman. Elected to the Town Council in 1919 as a representative of St George's Ward he quickly proved a valuable Councillor, and during the past 11 years has held the respect and confidence of all sections of the Council. He has done especially good work on the Tramways Committee, of which he was chairman for three years, and on the Water Committee. He was deputy mayor in 1928. A prominent Oddfellow, Councillor Corkill has been associated with the Order since 1887. and was Provincial Grand Master in 1907. He was born at Baldwin, in April, 1867, but has lived in Douglas since the time he was two years of age, and for many years carried on a successful business as a farmer. Councillor Corkill is a widower, his wife having died last January and during his term of office the duties of Mayoress are being discharged by his eldest daughter, Miss Margaret Corkill.
was made the recipient of the highest honour Douglas has to bestow in recognition of his conspicuous service to the town during a period of 20 years. For 32 years he held the office of Town Clerk, and in no small rneasure, contributed to the progressive policy which transformed. the town into a front rank Holiday resort. In June, 1920, he was made an Officer of the British Empire. Mr Robertson was appointed a director of the I.o.M. Steam Packet Co. last May, and in October was elected a life member of the Municipal Association of which he was one of the founders. He is a trustee of his old school- King William's College.
The New Principal of King William's College,
who succeeded the Rev. Canon E. C. Owen, M.A., was born at Torquay, and received his early education at College Jean Bart, Dunkirk, before procceding to Fitzwillian Hall. Cambridge, in 1910. At the University, Mr Harris had a distinguished career, being placed in the first-class in both parts of the "Theological Tripos and winning the Cross Scholarship in Divinity, the Junior and Senior Carus Greek Testament Prizes, the Scholefield Prize and the Wordsworth Studentship. He was ordained deacon in the diocese of Exeter in 1914 and a priest in 1915, and was curate of St. Andrew's Parish Church, Plymouth. Mr Harris served in the War as Chaplain to the Forces from 1916-19. and was mentioned in despatches. From 1919 to 1923, he was Vice-Principal of Ridley Hall. Cambridge, and from 1923 to 1926, Rector of Middle with East Claydon. In 1926, Mr Harris was appointed Editorial Secretary to the Church Missionary Society, a position which he held up to the time of his appointment to King William's College. He was joint editor of "The Call for Christian Unity" and a contributor to "The Inner Life." Mr Harris was a Select Preacher before the University of Cambridge in 1919 and 1921, and is examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Bradford, and the Bishop of Sodor and 'Man.
Chairman of the Isle of Man Bank Ltd., entered the service of the Bank in August, 1878, when he was but 14 years of age. On the appointment of Mr Alex Hill, as manager in 1894, Mr Cubbon became secretary. and on the death of Mr. Hill in March, 1915, the two offices combined and Mr. Cubhon became manager and secretary, retaining the joint position up to last month, when he was appointed Chairman of the Board of Directors in succession to Mr J. D. Clucas, J.P., who had resigned owing to ill-health. During Mr Cubbon's regime the Bank has prospered increasingly and last year a dividend of 20 per cent. was declared plus a bonus of 200 per cent, out of the Contingencies account. At the same time £10,000 was given to the funds of the Manx Hospitals. Mr Cubbon was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1910.
Chief Inspector of the Manx Local Government Board is a native of Douglas, but his early life was spent in Liverpool, where, as a young man he entered the engineering department of the Health, Committee of the City Council. He studied at the School of Hygiene. Liverpool University, under Dr. Hope and secured the certificate of that institution in Sanitary Engineering Appliance, Food inspection and Methods of Disinfection. Afterwards he secured, by , examination. the Sanitary Inspector's certificate of the Royal Sanitary Institute and the certificate of Inspector of Meat. and other foods, granted by that Institute. From Liverpool, Mr Quayle obtained an appointment as Sanitary Inspector under the Douglas, Town Council. a position which he held for several years until 1920, when he was selected as assistant inspector to the Local Government Board. Upon the resignation of Mr E. H. Faragher from the Chief Inspectorship, Mr Quayle was appointed to that position which from many points of view is one of the most important and arduous in the service of the Island
belongs to a well known family, the Cannell's, of Ballateare, Jurby. He was educated at Ramsey Grammar School and the Bishop Wilson Theological College and afterwards at St. John's Hall, Durham, where he graduated B.A. in 1919, taking his M.A. degree in 1919. He was ordained deacon in Ripon Cathedral in 1914, and priest in 1915, and was licensed to the curacy of St. Peter's, Hunslet Moor, Leeds. From 1916 to 1922 he was curate of Spafforth, Harrogate, and from 1922 to 1925. curate of Bilton, Harrogate. In 1925 Mr Cannell became Vicar of Hardraw cum Lunds, also in the diocese of Ripon. In June last, he was, appointed by His Majesty the King to the vicariate of Maughold in succession to another Manxman, the Rev. Henry Maddrell, M. A. now Vicar of Castletown.
Manx Scholar. Author and Playwright, on July, 8th, it was stated in the Tynwald Court that Mr J. J. Kneen had presented the Manuscript of two books-"A Manx Grammar", and a book on "The Personal Names of the Isle of Man"-to the Manx people. The gift, which represented many years of patient study and research was gratefully accepted and the sum of was voted to the Manx Muscum Trustees to enable them to publish the works. Mr. Kneen's valuable contributions have won for him an international reputation, In July, 1929, Liverpool University conferred upon. him the honorary degree of Master of Arts. Mr Kneen was married on July 6th last to Miss Catherine Alice Bridson, of Douglas, the service at Kirk Braddan, being conducted entirely in Manx Gaelic. This was the first wedding ceremony in the Manx language in the Isle of Man for a century.
was born at Port Erin in 1886, and was a student at Castletown Grammar School and King William's college. He was trained for the Church at the Bishop Wilson Theological College and took his B.A. degree at Durham University in 1914, becoming M.A. in 1920. Frorm 1911 to 1914, Mr Maddrell was curate of St. George's. Douglas, and from 1914 to 1919 curate of St. Luke's. Harrogate. He served as a temporary Chaplain to the Forces from 1916 to 1919. and had the distinction of being mentioned in despatches. In 1919, Mr Madrrell became curate of Otley, Yorkshire, and in the following year was appointed Vicar of Pool near Leeds, where he remained until 1928 when he returned to the Island to become Vicar of Maughold. After two years successful work there he accepted the living of St. Mary's, Castletown, in the early part of this year
Manx Airman who flew to Australia.
A month after he had obtained his air pilot's certificate this, intrepid 27 years old Manxman set out from Croydon on October 16th, to fly to Australia in a second-hand Gypsy Moth airplane. It seemed impossible that he should ever succeed, but on November 4th. nineteen days after leaving England he landed safe and sound at Wyndham, Western Australia, after a flight of 10,000 miles. He flew on to Sydney and thence to Melbourne. Mr Garden's mother is a Manx lady-and before her marriage, was Miss Rebecca Ward, daughter of Mr William Henry Ward, of The Corony Maughold. At the time of her son's great flight Mrs Garden was staying in Douglas with her brother, Mr Harry Ward, Watermillock, Quarter Bridge Road, Douglas. Mr Oscar Garden. was born in Scotland, and for a time was a student at the Douglas Secondary School. His great feat aroused tremendous interest. especially in the Isle of Man.
Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church, Douglas,
entered the Baptist Ministry in 1900 after a full course at the Manchester Baptist College. He held three pastorates in York-shore-Barnaldswick, Ikley and Todmorden-before accepting a call to Mint Street Church, Lincoln. From thence he went to Sutton-in-Makerfield, where he remained until May last, when he came to Douglas During his ministry, Mr Nightingale has taken an active part in the work of the Baptist denomination and for six years he was secretary of the Nottingham County Baptist Union. He has actively engaged in Christian Endeavour work and both the Isle of Man Christian Endeavour Union ana the Manx Free Church Council recognise in Mr Nightingale a decided acquisition to their ranks.
The Board of Directors in the Centenary Year (reading from left to right) :-The late Mr. W. H. Kitto, J.P., Mr. G. Fred. Clucas, S.H.K., Mr. W. H. Dodd, Mr. C. T. W. Hughes-Games, J.P. (Chairman), Mr. J. B. Waddington, Mr., R. Gordon Thin, Mr. A. H. Teare, J.P., and Mr. W. G. Barwell, General 'Manager. The vacancy on the Board of Directors caused by the Death of Mr. Kitto was filled by the appointment of Mr. Alex. Robertson, O.B.E.
On the 14th August last the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co. Ltd. celebrated its Centenary. Our illustration shows the Company's first vessel, "MONA'S ISLE I," a wooden paddle steamer of 200 tons. She was launched on the Clyde on 30th June, 1830, and arrived at Douglas on August 14th, 1830. The picture is after a painting by Walters, a copy of which is placed in the "Lady of Mann."
The Centenary year vessel, and the largest and most luxurious ship which the Company has ever owned. Launched on March 4th, 1930, at Messrs Vickers-Arrnstrong's shipbuilding yard at Barrow-in-Furness, by Her Grace the Duchess of Atholl, the "Lady of Mann" is a vessel of 3,104 tons with a speed of 23 knots compared witli the 8.5 knots of the Company's first vessel.
Surveyor-General of the Isle of Man,
Is the youngest son of the late Mr. John A. Brown, J.P., and Mrs. Brown, of Laureston Road, Douglas. After serving his articles with the late Mr. F. C. Cottle, then Borough Surveyor of Douglas, Mr. Brown, in 1913, was appointed Assistant Borough Surveyor of Douglas. Three months later he secured the position of Assistant Surveyor to the Wombwell Urban District Council, Yorkshire, which he relinquished in 1916 to become Assistant Surveyor of the Mitcham U.D.C., Surrey. During the war he served as an officer in the Roval Engineers and was seriously wounded in the foot and leg in 1917 at Wyschaete Ridge. After the war be returned to Mitcham and was engaged there until 1923, when he was appointed Southern Div. Surveyor to the I.o.M. Highway Board. In April last, at the age of 36, he was appointed Surveyor-General. Mr. Brown is a member of the Institute of Municipal and County Engineers, a Fellow of the Institute of Sanitary Engineers, and is a member of the Institute of Constructional Engineers, besides holding many other qualifications.
Messrs. C. Cowell (Onchan), G. Peters (Douglas), H. Kelly (Douglas), and E. Kelly (Onchan).
With five first prizes to its credit at Insular music festivals and a striking victory in an open class at Blackpool, the Victoria Quartet has contributed much to Manx musical culture. In taking first place in the Male Voice Quartet (Tenor Lead) open class at the Blackpool Music Festival in October, the local singers earned national fame by winning against eleven entrants including some of the finest quartet parties from the mainland and northern provinces.