[From 1914 Examiner Annual]
LORD AND LADY RAGLAN and the EARL AND COUNTESS OF BESSBOROUGH proceeding to the opening of Villa Marina Kursaal, July 19th, 1913.
Opened Saturday, July 19th, 1913, by the Lieutenant-Governor (Lord Raglan) and Lady Raglan.
The Rev. W. A. Rushworth was inducted to the vicariate of Braddan at the beginning of the past year (1913) in succession to Rev. Canon Moore, who died on the 4th October, 1912. Prior to entering the Church of England ministry, Mr. Rushworth was engaged in commercial life in Liverpool. He took his B.A. and MA. degrees at Trinity College, Dublin. At Ridley Hall, Cambridge, he was brought into contact with the Rev. P. W. Drury (afterwards Bishop). Mr. Rushworth has been acquainted with Manxland from his youth, and has a sister residing on the Island, viz., Mrs. T. Vondy, of Ramsey.
The page illustration opposite represents the new Church Room of the Parish of Braddan. It stands on a site adjoining the Parish Church, and serves many useful public purposes. Erected by public subscriptions, to the designs of Mr. F. L. Pearson, of London, the Church Room was opened on July 10th, 1912. The cost of the building was £1,200.
Elected Senior Member of the House of Keys for North Douglas, November, 1913.
Mr. Mark Carine has been long resident in Douglas. A joiner and builder by calling, he first went into business at Glenvine, Crosby. Eventually he removed to Douglas, and for several years past he has successfully engaged in building operations on a large scale. He has put up some of the finest residential property in the town, and has carried out several important contractsnotably that of the erection of Nobles Isle of Man Hospital. He served a term on the old Board of Town Commissioners. He is Chairman of the Douglas School Board. Especially has he taken a great interest in the Eastern District Secondary School, of which he is a Manager, and is a firm supporter of the new Secondary School scheme. Mr. Carine has also served on the Board of Guardians. At the General Election he had the honour of being returned at the head of the poll for North Douglas.
Elected Member of the House of Keys for North Douglas, November, 1913.
Mr. Joseph Garside, who is a native of Mossley, Laucashire, came to the Island in 1899, and after working at comparatively humble pursuits, he has risen step by step to have one of the largest Boarding Houses on the Central Promenade. He has been a prominent member of the Douglas Progressive Debating Society ; and was Chairman of the Douglas Guardians of the Poor in 1911-12. Mr. Garside also holds the position of Chairman of the Douglas Boarding House Association. He takes a great interest in promoting the advertising of the attractions of the Isle of Man in general, and Douglas in particular, and last year was largely instrumental in publishing a special booklet for Douglas. Mr. Garside is a ready speaker and debater, and will certainly be often heard in the House of Keys.
Like many other men who have become prominent in the public life of Douglas, Alderman James Craine is not by birth a Douglas Man, he having first seen the light of day in the Cooil district of the parish of Braddan. Ere attaining to the prime of life, he set up as a builder in Douglas, and has erected a large number of houses in the upper portion of the town. Well on twenty years ago he was elected to the Douglas Town Council as one of the representatives of Murrays Ward. and has since constantly retained his membership of the Council. He was chosen as an Alderman of Douglas some years ago, and he has served a term as Deputy-Mayor. Alderman Craine finds relaxation in angling, he being an enthusiastic devotee of the gentle art.
Mr. William Cubbon, the Douglas Borough Librarian. is a son of the late Mr. James Cubbon (master mariner), of Port St. Mary, one of the ancient family of Cubbon, of the parish of Arbory. He served his apprenticeship in the Office of " The Isle of Man Examiner," and subsequently rose to be overseer, and afterwards entered business on his own account. He was in 1912, out of some one hundred and twenty applicants, appointed Librarian of the Douglas Library, and since his appointment, has brought about some useful reforms, notably the " open access " method of the choosing of books. He is an ardent Manx patriot, and was one of the founders, with the late Speaker Moore, of the Manx Language Society. He is a member of the Antiquarian Society, and also Hon. Treasurer of the World Manx Association. He has one of the most complete collections of Manx books. He recently edited an Anthology of Manx Poetry, and is co-editor with Miss Morrison of " Mannin," the Manx Society magazine.
Opened, Easter, 1913, by Bishop Denton Thompson. Erected at a cost of over £10,000 from funds supplied by the Nobles Trustees, om the plans of Mr. W. . D. Carde, of London. The Church is perhaps the most substantially built of any building in the Isle of Man. Messrs. H. Costain and Sons, Blundellsands, were the contractors.
(The President of the Liverpool Manx Society),
is a son of Mr. Daniel Kinnish, retired baker and flour dealer, of Liverpool, and. formerly of St. Marks, Isle of Man. The President is well known in the Island, being the Liverpool and Manx representative of the United Yeast Company, Limited, Manchester.
Trafalgar Day (October 21st, 1913) was celebrated in Kirk Arbory by the laying of wreaths upon the grave of Capt. John Quilliam, R.N., a Kirk Arbory man, who steered the " Victory " into action on the day which witnessed the shattering of the fleets of France and Spain. Capt. Quilliam was at the time a lieutenant on the immortal Nelsons flagship, and it fell to his lot to devise temporary steering gear, the wheel being carried away by a shot from one of the French Ships as the British Fleet, in double column. bore down on the enemys line. Not caring to trust the handling of his device to another, Quilliam himself took charge, and this accounts for an officer assuming the quartermasters duty of steering a battleship into action. In connection with the Arbory celebration, an illustrated post card, of which the above is a copy, was issued. (Block kindly lent by the Vicar of Arbory).
The Rev. Henry Cubbon is the third son of the late Mr. Thomas Cubbon (formerly of The Priory. Douglas), a foremost temperance and social worker, and Mrs. Cubbon, of Ballasalla. He was educated at Douglas Grammar School, under Mr Fulton; and at King Williams College. He afterwards proceeded to St. Johns College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A., subsequently taking his M.A. degree. He then went to Mansfield College, Oxford, for a three years course in Theology. Entering the ministry of the Congregational Church, his first charge was at Banbury, where he stayed seven years. Afterwards he held a pastorates at Leicester. for four years. He next went to Mansfield House University Settlement, and remained there for eleven years, for six of which he was Warden of the Settlement. His experience in this connection gave him an intimate insight into the lives of the poorer classes in the East end of London. For four years he was a member of the West-ham Borough Council, and in this capacity he accomplished useful municipal work. Mr. Cubbon is a Christian Socialist of the Fabian order, and since he took up his residence in Douglashis native townin October, 1912, he has taken a deep interest in social matters, and is in great request at meetings of Brotherhoods, while he constantly champions the cause of the weak and distressed among his compatriots.
The Palace new Opera House, a spacious building with a beautiful elevation, Was opened July 21st, 1913, by Miss Vesta Tilley. Mr. George Kay is the architect, Mr. Alex. Gill supervising the erection. It will seat 3,300, and cost £11,000 including electric lighting and furnishing. See view on opposite page.
(Chairman of the Douglas Board of Guardians).
Mr. William James Corkill, a valued and valuable citizen of Douglas, was born in Baldwin. He was educated in Douglas, and after leaving school he served his apprenticeship as a farrier with Mr. W.B. Davis, M.R.C.V.S. While still a young man he entered into business on his own account, and has ever since held a high reputation for workmanship and straightforward dealings. His interest in agriculture, and particularly in agricultural live stock, has always been keen, and he has for many years held important official positions in connection with the exhibitions promoted by the Isle of Man Agricultural Society. An Oddfellow of long standing, he is a P.P.G.M. of the Isle of Man District (M.U.). For some years past he has been an indefatigable member of the Board of Guardians of the Poor of Douglas, and is chairman of the board for the current year. In other directions he has borne a prominent part in public affairsat the recent House of Keys election he acted as chairman of the committee which worked so energetically and successfully to promote the return of Capt. Moughtin and Mr. Robert Clucas as representatives of South Douglas.
Mr. Christopher R. Shimmin is the eldest son of the late Mr. Robert Shimmin, of Peel. He is the author of the two Manx Plays" The Charm " and " Illiam Kodheres Will "which were performed with such great success in Peel, Douglas and Liverpool in 1912-13. Mr. Shimmin himself took the leading part of " Dan Quilliam " in the latter Play, a representation of which is given above.
Miss Preston, of Peel, is perhaps the best interpreter of old Manx character and speech, and her acting in " The Charm " and " Ilimm Kodheres Will " has delighted everyone,
Mr. Meyrick is a son of Mr. Thomas L. Meyrick, of Peel. His recitations of the poems of T. B. Brown, " Cushag," etc., have given great pleasure to Manx and English audiences.
which was opened on February 20th, 1913, is an instance of what can be accomplished by voluntary effort. Mr. E. H. Corkhill (whose portrait is given) has collected upwards of £976, and Methodism throughout the Island has been stimulated to improve its places of Worship. Mr. J. E. Teare was the architect and the building cost £1,700.