[From 1910 Examiner Annual]
HEAVY catches of herring were landed at Port St. Mary during the summer, and Mr Nicol's staff - chiefly Irish lassies - had.a busy time coping with the heaps of fish landed. Visitors looked on with great interest from day to day. Mr V. L. Swales took several photographs, two of which are here reproduced.
Noble's Trustees advanced £150 as a guarantee to Mr. Nicol. During the summer thirty boats were engaged in the fishing, and approximately the gross earnings were £5,700. From sixty to eighty persons were engaged in the cleaning and curing
THE REV. ROBERT D. KERMODE, M.A., Vicar of St. Georges, Douglas, is by birth and breeding a Douglas man. He was educated first at Victoria College, Douglas, and subsequently at Caius College, Cambridge, where be graduated B.A. in 1891. In 1893 he was ordained deacon, and in the following year took priest's orders at the hands of the Bishop of London. From 1893 to 1806 he was curate of St. Georges-in-the-East, London; from 1896 to 1898 he was curate of St. George's, Douglas ; from 1898 to 1908 he was vicar of Maughold, and in the last-named year he was presented with the living of St. George's, Douglas.
MR. EDWARD CORTEEN, late Surveyor-General of Highways, recently retired after 50 years' service. He is a thorough Manxman, hailing from Ballasholague, Maughold. He has carried out many important works, particularly the Snaefell Mountain Road to Ramsey. He is a keen musician, and assisted the late Dr. Clague and Mr. William H. Gill in compiling the Manx National Song Book. On his retirement Mr. Corteen was made a suitable presentation by the staff of the Highway Board.
.MR. JOHN HERBERT EVANS is a native of Worcestershire. He holds splendid credentials, having had upwards of 20 years' experience in road and bridge construction and maintenance. Prior to his appointment in the Island, he was District Surveyor under the Herts County Council for seven years. Mr. Evans is a member of the Council of the Institution of Municipal Engineers.
MR. R.H. CUBBIN was appointed Secretary of the Highway Board in 1906. He has displayed conspicuous ability in the insular arrangements for the holding of the motor races, and has been the recipient of special votes of thanks from the Royal Automobile Club. Mr. Cubbin is by birth and training a Douglas man. In his earlier days he was a Rugby football enthusiast. He is Secretary of the Douglas Bay Regatta, and was the medium of obtaining the Dunlop and Royal Automobile Club Rowing Challenge Cups. Mr. Cubbin is a prominent Oddfellow, and is a candidate for the highest office in the district.
THE New Hospital is to be erected on a site 3½ acres in extent, on the Hills estate, with a frontage of 351 feet to Westmorland-road. Fifty-five beds will be provided. Towards the cost of building Noble's Trustees are giving £20,000, and 220,000 for its endowment. Architects. Messrs Henman & Cooper, Birmingham. Contractor, Mr Geo. Preston. Clerk of Works, Mr J. E. Douglas.
MR. EDWARD COLLISTER. Ballavitchal, Marown, was elected Chief Ruler of the Isle of Man District of the Independent Order of Rechabities in April 1909. He is intimately connected with the Crosby and Greeba Good Samaritan Tent, and exercises considerable interest in the work of the Order, more especially amongst juveniles. At District Meetings his rulings combine ability with tact. Mr. Collister is a successful agriculturist, and is a member of the I.O.M. Farmers' Club. He also occupies a seat on the Marown School Board, and for many years has been a superintendent of the Crosby Wesleyan Sunday-school.
On October 26th, 1761, it was decided to build a church in Douglas, and although building operations were at once commenced, it was not until 1780 that the work was completed. The parish church of St. George was consecrated on September 29th, 1781. It has now been found necessary to re-model the church to meet modern requirements, and to provide funds for this purpose a bazaar, held in 1897 realised; a sum which was invested and now amounts to £2,200. In the autumn of the past year another bazaar was held, and as the result of it, that amount has been increased by something like £1,200. The church is now in the hands of the builder. The Parish of St. George is a large and populous one and it could not be satisfactorily worked without the temporary iron church, All Saints, which accommodates 400, and the Mission Halls at Allan Street and Barrack Street. The Rev. R. D. Kermode M.A., whose portrait appears in this Annual, was appointed vicar in October 1908. His curates are the Revs. M. W. Harrison M.A. and Thomas Arthur.
is one of the representatives in the House of Keys for Glenfaba J Sheading. Had he followed his own inclination, it is unlikely that he would have entered into public life, but Mr Quirk was prevailed on to stand for election to the representative house in 1908, and he was well supported at the poll. His thorough knowledge of agriculture and his generally progressive views on Manx political questions make him a useful member of the Legislature. and one in every way fitted to represent the premier sheading. Mr Quirk is the only son of the late Mr R. S. Quirk. He farms the well known estate of Raby, Patrick, which has been in the Quirk family for several generations. He has made the study of veterinary surgery his hobby, and his services, which are much in demand, are willingly put at the disposal of farmers and crofters in the neighbourhood when their livestock requires skilled medical treatment. Not wanting in public spirit, Mr Quirk has served on the Parish Commissioners and the Patrick Poor Law Guardians. Mr Quirk is a Rechabite of long standing, being a member of the Rising Star Tent. He was appointed Captain of the Parish of Patrick in 1909.
President of the Liverpool Manx Society, is a son of the late Mr. Thomas Kneen, of Lime Street, Port St Mary, where he was born 35 years ago. When quite a youth he proceeded to Liverpool, where he entered into the baking business. and for many years past he has conducted a flourishing and prosperous establishment in Tiverton, Liverpool. He is well known in the Wesleyan and other Nonconformist pulpits, being a local preacher of exceptional ability. He has frequently occupied the pulpits in the Isle of Man, and is known both north and south. He is a class leader in the Great Homer Street Circuit (Anfield Chapel), taking a special interest in the Sunday School, of which he has been for some years superintendent. He has been a supporter of the Liverpool Manx Society for the past ten years, and by the unanimous wish of the committee and members he was elected at the last annual meeting as president, the highest position his fellow countrymen in Liverpool have to bestow.
EARLY in February, Canon Thomas A. Taggart,vicar of St. Matthew's, Douglas, resigned the living, he having accepted the vicarage of St. Maurice, Horkstow, near Barton-on-Humber, Lincolnshire. Canon Taggart was appointed to St. Matthew's about thirty years ago, and his self-sacrificing labours in the parish secured him the respect and affection of his parishioners and of all with whom he came in contact. On his shoulders mainly fell the responsibility connected with the erection of the fine new church of St. Matthew on the North Quay. It is proposed to erect a Mission Room and Sunday School adjoining the church, and Canon Taggart did not feel equal to the heavy work which such an undertaking must necessarily entail. The Canon's son, Rev Hugh Selwyn Taggart, has accepted the living rendered vacant by his father's resignation, and was inducted April 27th, 1909.
WILLIAM GELL is a scion of one of the old and distinguished Manx families, being second cousin to the late Sir James Gell. Four or five centuries ago, in common with many other old Manx names, the name was prefixed with "Mac"; for some reason, probably that of convenience, the prefix has been dropped. Though starting late as a writer (some half-dozen years ago), he has written a large number of poems-some of considerable length. Although he has never advertised his works, he has been remarkably successful in circulating them; his largest work, "Mannin Veg Veen," published from the "Examiner Office, being entirely sold out. This speaks well for the sympathy and appreciation of his countrymen. He has, at the time of writing, an epic in the press on the life of that greatest of Manxmen, the Rev. T. E. Brown, which is awaited with considerable interest. Mr. Gell is a licensed lay reader in connection with St. Matthew's Parish Church, Douglas.
THE foundation stones of this building were laid on the 25th August last. It is intended to seat 350 worshippers. The total cost will be about £2,550. Mr. Jos. Qualtrough, H.K., is defraying the cost of the spire with a donation of £200 in memory of his late father. The church will supply a want long felt by the numerous Wesleyan Methodist families visiting Port Erin in the season.
TOP ROW- Mr. Wm. Kneen (Croit-e Caley). Mr. Jos. McArd Rev. Thos. Pickard Rev.
S. R. Wilkin Master Willie Waugh Rev. Thomas Waugh Mr. Thos. F. Moore Mr. T.
A. Sale O
CENTRE ROW- Miss Gladys McArd Mrs J. Keig, Miss Susan McArd Mrs. T. E. Moore,Miss Fernhead, Miss Waugh
BOTTOM ROW- Mrs. W. Kneen, jnr. Mrs. Frank Collister Rev. T. Alex. Binne Mrs. Moseley Rev. W. H. Moseley Mrs. Ellis Rev. J. R. Ellis
This group was photographed in connection with the foundation stone laying at Port Erin
MR. WILLIAM JOHN CORLETT is a Douglas man by birth, breeding, education, and business standing, his father having been a resident in the town, while his mother was a daughter of the late Mr Peter Clarke, of Lezayre. Mr Corlett was born some forty-nine years ago, and after leaving school he was apprenticed to the.late Mr William Chnstiati, ironmonger, of Nelson-street, Douglas. Subsequently he becams assi,taut to Mr Christian, and ultimately he took over the business which for many years past he has carried on with conspicuous success. He always took a great interest in public affairs, and four years ago he was elected to the Douglas Town Council as one of the representatives of Derby Ward. In 1909, the appointment of Mr John T. Cowell as Receiver- General created a vacancy in the representation of North Douglas in the House of Keys, and Mr Corlett became a candidate. For opponent he had Mr Mark Carine, and a still fight resulted in the return of Mr Corlett. A Presbyterian by up-bringing and ;conviction, Mr Corlett takes a prominent part in the management of St. Andrew's Church, Douglas, and is an ardent supporter of the Sunday School. He is on the committee of the Industrial Home, and that of the Isle of Man Fine Arts and Industrial Guild.
where erosion of the coast goes on.