[From 1908 Examiner Annual]
IN the long history of the See of Sodor and Man there have been but five Manx bishops, one of these being the Right Rev. Thomas Wortley Drury, D.D. , the present diocesan. His Lordship is a son of the late Rev. William Drury, the famous and respected Vicar of Braddan and he received his early education at King Williams College, proceeding subsequently to Christs College, Cambridge, where he graduated in 1870. coming out twenty-fifth Wrangler. In 1871 he was ordained, and became Curate of Braddan.
In 1873-76 he was a mathematical master at King Williams College, and from 1876 to 1882 he was Rector of Holy Trinity, Chesterfield. Afterwards he became Principal of the Church Missionary Society College, Islington, and in 1899 he was appointed Principal of Ridley Hall, Cambridge. In the summer of 1907 he had the Bishopric of Sodor and Man conferred upon him, being consecrated in York Cathedral, November 30th. Dr. Drury is sixty years old.
MR. Hart is the junior minister of the Castletown Wesleyan Circuit, and resides at Port St. Mary. He was born at Attleborough, Norfolk ; and having a distinct Methodist lineage, his leanings were in the direction of the ministry, for which he offered and was accepted in 1901. Following a period of theological training, Mr Hart was appointed to the pastorate of a new church at Harrow, London. He took up the work in the southern Manx circuit in the autumn of 1906, where his pulpit and other ministrations are received with high appreciation.
Is the respected Pastor of Broadway Baptist Church, Douglas, to which he was appointed in 1906. Mr Cooper was born in Poland, of Jewish parents. He served his apprenticeship as a lithographer, and when 19 years of age came to England. At Birmingham he embraced Christianity, and soon afterwards entered Dr Guinnesss Training College, where he stayed three years. His first work was as missionary in the Mildmay Mission to the Jews. After four years there, feeling the need of mental equipment for the Christian ministry, he was admitted to the Baptist College, Manchester. From thence he came to Douglas to take up the work at Broadway. Mr Cooper has contributed several papers to the Douglas Progressive Debating Society, at which he is a frequent attender. At Broadway Church he conducts a remarkably successful Mens Class every Sunday afternoon.
MR William Cubbon, who was on April 18th elected to the highest office in Insular Rechabitism, is a native of the parish of Rushen. stating his connection with the Order from the early age of two years, he has held many positions of trust, for a number of years past acting as treasurer of the Rushen Rechabite Tent. Indeed so active are his sympathies with the Order, that he was elected as a representative two years ago to the High Moveable Conference at Aberdeen In the teaching profession Mr Cubbon has achieved a unique position. As headmaster of Rushen Parochial Boys School, he looks back to the day when as a scholar he joined the school, and traces his subsequent progress as pupil teacher up to his present post. Mr Cubbon is a past president of the Isle of Man Teachers Union, and clerk to the Rushen Parish Commissioners. [2
THE popular and able honorary secretary of the Douglas Choral Union is Mr. W. A. Craine, than whom there is no more enthusiastic musician in the Isle of Man. Perhaps the greatest service which Mr Craine has rendered the town of his birth. is in connection with the organisation and conduct of the operatic performances which for twelve years or so past have been the brightest feature of Christmas in the isle of Man. Mr. Craine was one of the originators of these performances, and for some years he sustained the leading tenor role in the productions. He is choir master of St. Peters Church, Onchan ; conductor of the Onchan Choral Society ; assistant hon. sec. to the Manx Music Festival ; and hon. sec. to the Douglas Choral Society (winners of the Morecambe and Blackpool Challenge Shields), of which his half-brother, Mr. J..D Looney, is conductor. His long business connection with Messrs. James Little & Co, managers of the Midland Railway Steamers, has been of incalculable advantage in the arrangements for the transport of the Isle of Man Choir on their many journeys.
FOR ten years the position of Deputy Town Clerk of Douglas has been filled with conspicuous ability by Mr Alexander Buchan Cuthbertson. His father, Mr D P. Cuthbertson, came to the Isle of Man from Edinburgh in 1872. The subject of our sketch served five years with Mr John Taylor, the present librarian, who was then headmaster of the Thomas-street Wesleyan Day School. He spent four years with the I.O.M. Steam Packet Co., and sixteen years in the Manx Bank, now the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank. The experience gained has been highly beneficial to him in connection with the intricate keeping of accounts of a borough such as Douglas. Mr Cuthbertson has been associated all his life with St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, and at present holds the offices of Session Clerk and Treasurer. He was Financial secretary of the successful Christian Endeavour Conference held in Douglas in 1907, and is Lay secretary to the Douglas Branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society. He was elected President of the Manx Free Church Council in November for the ensuing year. Mr Cuthbertsons wife is the eldest daughter of Mr W. Proctor, J.P.
THE GENERAL COMMITTEE
Top Row - (Gentlemen)Mr .J Collister, Mr J. Garrett, Mr A. Ball, Mr. T. Quirk, Mr T. Lowey, Mr A. Wooton, Mr J. E. Denny. Mr W.. Tooms, Mr .J. J. McFee.
2nd Row Mr W. Hughes, Mr W. Hudson.
3rd Row (Ladies)Miss F. Kelly Miss Batemen, Miss Lace, Miss Sayle, Miss Barker, Miss Cretney.
4th RowMr J. Moore. Miss Kelly. Miss Kelly. Mrs E. Rowland, Mrs Hutchson, Mrs Lewis, Miss Hollyer.
5th RowMiss Broughton. Mr W. Stubbs, Mr T. K. Garrett, Miss Bannister. Mrs Hollyer, Miss Clilff, Miss E. M Lewis, Miss Caren, Mr T. P. Fargher. .
6th RowMr W.J. Corlett., Rev W. Gillis, Rev J. Davidson, Mr E. Rowland (general secretary). Rev D. Inglis (president) Mr A. B. Cuthbertson~ Rev J. E. Buckley. Rev F. TB.Westlake, Rev H. Cooper, Mr P. Christian, Rev R.J. Clegg.
THIS the most up-to-date institution of its class in the world, was opened with appropriate ceremony on July 23rd, 1907. The provision for patients consists of two wards, each containing four beds and two cots, and two single bed wards, also a surgery, rooms for the staff, etc The cost. of erection and furnishing about £6,000 was borne by the Henry Bloom Noble Trust ; while an endowment fund of some £1,500 was subscribed £1,000 by the Baume Trust and the balance from generous private parties. High Bailiff Cruickshank rendered good service in the promotion of the scheme, as did also Mr Thomas Cowley, hon. secretary to the committee. The Hospital is in charge of Miss Jackson matron.
MR. Joseph D. Looney, the famous conductor whose recent achievements have brought the Isle of Man prominently to the front in the world of song, is a native of Foxdale, but he has spent the best years of his life in Douglas, where he practices as a teacher of music Mr. Looneys choir won the challenge shield at Morecambe in the spring of this year, and in October secured still greater honour by winning the challenge shield at the great music festival held in Blackpoolthe blue ribbon, a it were, of choral music. Mr Looneys methods of training and conducting have earned for him high commendations from the greatest living authorities on music.
ONE of the best-known and most popular of Liverpool Manxmen is Mr. J. J. Kermode, consulting engineer. Mr Kermode is a. native of Peel, and he is very proud of the fact, while Peel people have good reason for pride that Mr. Kermode is one of them. He is an engineer of celebrity, and as an authority on marine and other machinery and naval architecture he is in the front rank. His inventions are many and of great value, notably those in regard to the application of liquid fuel in connection with marine and other boilers and industrial process furnaces. Mr. Kermode wields a ready pen, and is a frequent contributor to the technical journals and to the daily newspaper press. The following may be mentioned as some of the features of Mr Kermodes distinguished career : For many years lecturer on Engineering at the Liverpool School of Science. For nearly twenty years one of the principal members of the Engineering staff at bairds Birkenhead Ironworks. For many years identified with the courses of Free Lectures under the Liverpool Corporation Library, Museum, and Arts Committee. In 1902, commissioned by the British Admiralty to draft warship boilers for the use of oil fuel. Effected many improvements in Tea Drying Machinery for India and Ceylon ; in Glass Machinery and in various other industries. Effected improvements in Fire Brigade Equipment, notably in connection with Steam Motor Fire Engines fired with petroleum. Twelve years study and experimenting has enabled him to utilise for fuel the hitherto waste by-products of blast furnaces, of many chemical processes of gas works and other distilleries, as well as that of petroleum oil wells. Mr Kermode is a vice-president of the Liverpool Manx Society.
MR. Davidson is a native of Perthshire, and received his elementary education at the parish school of Auchtergaven. From it he passed to Carlton Place Academy. Glasgow, and studied for four years at Glasgow University. He afterwards took a three years theological course at the United Presbyterian College, Edinburgh. In 1882 he was licensed by the Presbytery of Liverpool, and a few months later was ordained and inducted to Beaumont Church, Northumberland. For some years he acted as Clerk of Berwick Presbytery. In 1895 he accepted a call to St. Andrews, Douglas. Since his advent to Douglas, Mr Davidson has identified himself with many social and philanthropic movements, and is especially interested in the Societies for Prevention of Cruelty to Children and Animals, and the Nursing of the Poor schemes promoted by Nobles Trustees.
PROBABLY the foremost astronomer in the ranks of the Christian ministry is the Rev Robert Killip, whose surname proclaims his Manx blood. In the days of his boyhood Mr Killip resided in the Island, and he frequently attended Victoria-street Churchthen known as Thomas-street Chapelwith his grandmother, who was in business in Strand-street, Douglas. Mr Killip is one of the ablest of Wesleyan ministers, while among scientists he enjoys a great reputation. He is a very fine lecturer, and particularly is he fascinating when he discourses upon his favoriteand sublime hobbyastronomy. Wherever stationed, Mr Killip fits up an observatory wherein he erects his 5-inch equatorial. clock-driven, refracting telescope. Mr Killip was one of the party of British astronomers which went to Spain nearly three years ago for the observation of the Solar eclipse.The use of portrait block kindly allowed by the Sunday Circle.
REV. W. Gillis is a Tynesider, having been born in Gateshead-on-Tyne. Bethesda Chapel, of that town, famed as the last pastoral charge of " General " Booth as a Methodist New Connexion minister, was his religious home. He opened his ministry at Oldham, in 1873. Since then his circuits have been :Manchester South, Longton (twice), Boston, Sheffield West, Dewsbury, Durham, Sunderland, Broomhed (Ireland) and Dudley. He came to Douglas in 1906, as pastor of Derby Road Church, and Superintendent of the Isle of Man Home Mission Soon after he had settled, he was called to take an active part on the Local Executive Committee in preparing for the National C.E. Convention, held last Whitsuntide, being pulpit supply secretary and chairman of the halls committee. At present he is president of the Manx C.E. Union and one of the hon. secretaries of the Manx Free Church Council. In September, 1907, he had the honour of representing the Isle of Man at a great historic conference in Wesleys Chapel, City Road, London, on the occasion of the union of the Methodist New Connexion, the United Methodist Free Church, and the Bible Christians. This happy union was consummated with absolute unanimity and the utmost enthusiasm by the three denominations. The United Methodist; Church (which is the name of this new body) has nearly 200,000 members, 330,000 Sunday-school scholars, circuits in all parts of England, and growing missions in China, Jamaica, and West Africa. Besides Douglas, the denomination has a vigorous church and Sunday School in Ramsey.
MR. Ambrose Qualtrough is a native of Port Erin, where he carries on business as a butcher, and during the season caters for the refreshment of visitors. For many years he has taken an interest in Manx politics and in local affairs. As a member of Port Erin Commissioners Mr. Qualtrough has gained a reputation for fearlessness and independence, one result of such fame being that he was elected to the House of Keys in May, 1907, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. William Quine, of Silverdale. The portrait block appears by permission of the publishers of the Manx Patriot.
(The Douglas Ladies Prize Choir and Mr. Looneys Male Voice Choir.)
The Isle of Man Choir which triumphed so finely at Morecambe and Blackpool, gave a grand concert in Liverpool on October 16th, under the auspices of the Manx Association of that city. During the visit, the choir, ranged on the steps of St. Georges Hall, was successfully photographed by Mr. G .H. Evans, of Prospect Hill, Douglas On the opposite page appears a half-tone process reproduction of the photo.
THE above illustration shows Mrs. Pankhurst, the leader of what is termed the "Suffragette " movement, which aims at obtaining all social and political rights for women, speaking at Hull during a recent election meeting. The Daily Mirror, which kindly lends us the picture, says she "makes scores of converts." Mrs. Pankhurst is the eldest daughter of a well-known Manx lady, and her husband, who has been dead some years, was Dr. Pankhurst, a noted barrister and jurist, of Manchester Mrs Pankhurst is one of the most eloquent speakers in the country, and two of her daughters have also distinguished themselves in the cause.