B95 Waterworks



 The first company was authorised by Act of Tynwald in 1833 to provide a public water supply in Douglas, its first reservoir was at Summer Hill, and shortly later a second at Ballacain, Onchan. The growth of the town presently led the company to construct the Clypse reservoir, and as an auxiliary pumping station was established at Groudle. This company was purchased in 1890 by Douglas Borough Coporation - it was the Coporation undertaking which decided that a much larger reservoir at West Baldwin, some 7 miles from Douglas, was necessary - this was built from 1899 and opened in 1905.

Subsequent water companies were formed to provide water for Castletown, Peel and Ramsey.


Online Pages:


Offline References:

 [Return to Manx Note Book] 

[subject catalogue]  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  K  L 

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
© F.Coakley , 2001