[from Cubbon - Bibliography, Vol 1, 1933]

F 73 CASTLETOWN.

Account of Castle Rushin. In Lady's Mag. c. 1790. View of Castle Rushen. [3742]

Castletown in 1798. In Feltham's Tour, Mx Soc. vi, 235-43.

NIELD (James). On Castle Rushen as a Prison. In Gent's Mag. Dec. 1810, pp. 514-7. [5053]

Commission of appointment by John Duke of Atholl of John Kelly to be a Special Constable. Given at Castle Mona, 17th Dec., 1821. Phoenix Press. 210x330. [6337, H 398]
The paper used is Manx-made, with the watermark WW, the three-leg design, and date 1821.

Plan of Castletown, made by John Wood, Surveyor, of Edinburgh. 1833.

Instructions for the Turnkeys of Castle Rushen Gaol. Douglas: P. Curphey. 1850. pp. 4. 225x140. [4869]

Castletown Isle of Man Steam Navigation Company. Account of a public meeting held in Castletown, at which this company was decided to be formed. 1853. p. 1. 180x116. [4725]
In 1860 the company was in difficulties, and a call was made upon the shareholders of 10/- a share.

Hymn Sheet: St. Mary's Chapel, Castletown, Sunday. 16th July, 1854, in aid of the funds of the National Schools. Castletown : Backwell. 334x209. [6470, F 73]

St. Mary's, Castletown.: list of the Chaplains. In Mx Soc. vol. xxix, pp. 130-1. 1879.

Castletown and district. In Thwaite's History, 1863, pp. 217-252. In Brown's Directory, 1882, 1894. pp. 549- 572.

WAUGH (Edwin). Guide to Castletown, Port Erin and adjacent parts of the Isle of Man. Manchester. 1869.

Castletown Harbour: Report of a Committee of Tynwald on a plan for its improvement. B. & S. 1870. pp. 12. 240x154.

Castletown Poor Relief Fund : report, etc., for 1875. M. J. Backwell. pp. 4. 280x200. [6313, B 92]

The Form of Service to be used at the Consecration of the Chapel of King William's College, 1879. Douglas. 12mo. pp. 12.

Castle Rushen : its history and legends. B. & S. N.D. [c. 1880] pp. 22. Woodcut of tower entrance. 162x100. [3373]
Photo of the Elizabethan clock.

FLAXNEY (Stowell). The Bells of St. Mary's: a poem; presented to the subscribers to the Castletown Temperance Society. M. J. Backwell. N.D. [c. 1880] p. 1. 203x130.

Form of Service (according to the Church of England) used in Castle Rushen Prison. N.D. [c. 1880] pp. 4. 210x170.

Extension of the Boundaries of Castletown : Report of Committee of Tynwald, dated 12th July, 1882. B. & S. pp. 4. 250x155. [6123, D 152]

Industrial and Loan Exhibition, Castletown, 1883. S.K.B. pp. 50. 150x120. 3d. [6294, F 73]

Prospectus of the Industrial and Loan Exhibition, Castletown, 1883. B. & S. Broadside. 430x340. [6294, F73]

TALBOT (Rev. Theophilus). Castletown : an alleged Station of the Romans in the First Century. In Manx Sun. 31st May, 1883. [4142]

DODD (Kate). Descriptive Guide to St. Michael's Island, Derbyhaven, &c. Castletown : M. J. Backwell. N.D. [c. 1888] pp. 23. 180x118. [5043, vol. ii]

Castletown Water-works: Report of Committee of Tynwald on, with minutes of evidence; dated 17th May, 1888. B. & S. pp. 8. 330x210. [F 73]

Castle Rushen Prison: Chief Warder Goddard's 'Locking-up' Reports from 20th to 31st December, 1889. pp. 12. 210x165.

St. Mary's, Castletown : Extracts from the Vestry Minute Book. In Mx Church Mag. Sept. to Dec. 1891.

BROWN (Rev. T. E., M.A.). Castletown (a leaflet). B. & S. N.D. [1894] pp. 4. View of the bay. 200x140.- [4103]

JEFFCOTT (J. M.). Castle Rushen. Manchester Guardian Printing Office. N.D. [c. 1893] pp. 16. Litho. plan by F. L. Heslop. 176x122.

Memorandum by the Governor on the application of Castletown Town Commissioners to borrow £1,000 to widen the Back Green, etc. 12th March, 1894. B. & S. pp. 2. 330x210. [6124, D 152]

Report of Committee of Tynwald to consider petitions from the Castletown Town Commissioners. 10th April, 1894. B. & S. pp. 5. 330x210. [6124, D 152]

A proposal to make a new public road through the Bowling Green estate.

Castletown Town Commissioners : statement of accounts for year to 31st March, 1895. M. J. Backwell. pp. 3. 296x230. [5973]

Castle Rushen, its history and legends. Birmingham Munns & Allen. N.D. [c. 1895] pp. 21. 160x100. [4820]

Metropolitan Regatta in Castletown Bay, 7th Sept., 1899. Programme. Backwell. pp. 4. 255x190.

Mem. by Government Office on application of Castletown Commissioners for leave to borrow 350. 13th May, 1901. B. & 8. pp. 2. 330x210. [6126, D 152]

618 CASTLETOWN. F 73

STOWELL [Flaxney]. Castletown a Hundred Years Ago: introduction by Rev. Canon Kewley, M.A. Douglas Cubbon &Lightfoot. 1902. pp. 76: 190x124. [911]

Portrait of the author and three sketches by F. Stowell, junr.

The Royal Castle of Rushen, its history and legends, with a note on the discoveries made by Governor Raglan. Douglas: Cubbon & Lightfoot. N.D. [C. 1905] pp. 18. 180x120. ld.

Views of Castle Rushen. N.D. [1910] pp. 9. 115x175. [1482]

Castletown : Report of L.G.B. on application of Castle- town Town Commissioners for leave to borrow 3,000 on new Sewerage works. May 1911. B. & S. pp. 2. 330x210. [6131, D 152]

View of Lorn House, Castletown. 1920. pp. 7. 136x225. [1788]

Castletown in 1511. In Man. Roll. pp. 12-17. 1924.

DOUGLAS (Joseph Edward). Castle Rushen : illus. from drawings by E. C. Quayle. B. & S. 1925. pp. 27. 180x123. 4d.
This is the first guide book made at the instance of the Government. It has a reproduction of Fane's plan of the Castle made in 1745.

RALFE [Pilcher George]. Parish Church of St. Mary, Castletown. M. J. Backwell. 1926. pp. 53. Illus. 217x140. [5376]

KNEEN (J. J., M.A.). Place-names in Castletown and district. In P. N. pp. 89 et seq. 1926.

RIGBY (Armitage, F.R.I.B.A.). Castle Rushen : a historical and descriptive account. Douglas : Victoria Press. 1927. pp. 79. 255x202. [5692]
16 full page plates ; initial and tail pieces by A. Knox. The standard work on Castle Rushen : the author co operated with Governor Raglan for several years in the restoration of the Castle.

RALFE (Pilcher George). Old Castletown : a paper read before the Isle of Man Nat. Hist. and Ant. Soc. 30th June, 1927. In Examiner. [5686]

Some Notes on Old Castletown, by Pilcher George Ralfe. In Proc. iii, 208-217. 1927. [A 363]

Discovery of a Deposit of Bones in the Raised Beach at Castletown, by Rev. E. H. Stenning, M.A. In Proc. iii, 234-8. 1927. [A 363]

Report . . . on the application of the Commissioners of the Village District of Port Erin for leave to purchase land for constructing a Promenade. (To Tynwald.) In Debates xlvi. 1928. pp. 4. 240x180. [5945]

There is in MS. in the Library a Return of the Names and Addresses of the Inhabitants of Castletown in the 18th Century.


  Back index next  

Any comments, errors or omissions gratefully received The Editor
HTML Transcription © F.Coakley , 2011