hidden-metaphor

Manx Genealogy Archive 1

Re: Websites - Which is best?
In Response To: Websites - Which is best? ()

I don't know what info or dates you seek - if IoM census then you can buy CD roms of any IoM census for about 15 each, their quality is actually better than those on microfilm at manx museum, the 1881 is both free on line and I think still available on a CD ROM set for a very reasonable price, the 1901 is effectively pay/view with a free index.
Brian's index to burials will give you an excellent guide to those needing further check at the Manx museum (you could always buy copies of burials/MI's etc for a few pounds if it is one parish that dominates).
The IGI for all I criticise it, will give a good indication of which parish regs need looking at (and as far as I know these are not available other than on mormon microfilm or at Museum/general registry).
The will index by Brian will again pinpoint those needing further study - transcriptions or summaries of many (my guess about 7.5% - 10%) are available on either Brian's site or Manxnotebook.
Property records again are only available at Manx Museum/Gen Reg or on microfilm (tho some transcriptions are available on manxnotebook + possibly elsewhere).
As it would seem you are based on the Island a focussed afternoon in Manx museum (eg Sat) could suely provide you with enough data for a week of further investigations.