I am researching a Catherine Eleanor/or/Ellen Stephen and I’m running into snags.
This is what I know:
* Catherine Eleanor Stephen (spinster) married Richard Pass (butcher) Sept 19, 1852 at Kirk Braddan. Her residence is ?? Street, Douglas. His residence is Larch Road, Douglas. Her father is William Stephen – farmer. His father is William Pass – butcher.
* 1861 census for Bride shows
- Pass, Richard; head; married; age 34; occupation: Parochial schoolmaster & post master; born England, Sheffield.
- Pass, Ellen; wife; married; age 41; occupation: schoolmistress; born Isle of Man, Andreas.
* Thwaite's Directory – 1863 - Kirk Bride Parish (from Manx Notebook) shows Richard Pass is the postmaster and schoolmaster at Bride Parochial School.
* Burial Index shows Catherine Ellen Pass buried at Andreas, 19 July 1870 – age 57
(the age doesn’t correspond with her age in 1861)
Additional clues under consideration:
* Pigot & Slater's Directory – 1843 – Andreas (from Manx Notebook) shows
SCHOOLS PAROCHIAL: Andreas-Miss Stephen, mistress
* Slater's Directory – 1846 – Andreas (from Manx Notebook) shows
PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, Andreas-Miss Stephen, mistress
The only Catherine or Ellen or Eleanor Stephen of the approximate age & living in Andreas during the census years is:
* 1851 census Andreas; district 4; page 7; entry 26
- Stephen, Isabella; head; married; age 57; school mistress; born Liverpool
- Stephen, Catherine; dau; unmarried; age 29; dressmaker; born Ballaugh, IoM
(Isabella’s husband must be elsewhere)
* 1841 census Andreas district 5 page 44;
- Stephen, Isabella; age 47; seamstress?; born England
- Stephen, Catherine; age 20; (no occupation); born Isle of Man
- Stephen, Margaret; age 18; (no occupation); born Isle of Man
The IGI doesn’t have Catherine Eleanor Stephen. I found a few “Catherine Stephen” names with a father named William, but …. not a mother named Isabella.
I can’t find a marriage for a William Stephen & Isabella. This makes me think that the ‘clues’ might be for a completely different family
Would someone with access to the Andreas cemetery transcriptions please check to see if there is a Catherine Pass or Isabella Stephen (with husband), or William Stephen (with a wife) listed? Maybe there would be a clue there. I feel that if Catherine was buried in Andreas, perhaps she had family already buried there.
At this point, I’m not sure who Catherine’s mother was and that’s what I’d like to know. I don’t know where to go from here, so I’d be grateful for other ideas.