WANTED: Information on THOMAS MILLS
Born about 1796 in Ireland (listed as age 55 in 1851 census of Ramsey, Isle of Man-occupation: Tinsmith; also listed at death in 1860 as age 65)
Married (1) about 1815, in Ireland to Alice McDonald or Alica McDonnell
Children born 1816, 1818 - Ireland
Married (2) about 1821, of County Down, Ireland to Jane Gill
Children born 1822-23 in Ireland; 1824-1826 in Carlisle, Cumberland, England; in 1828-1831 in Castleton, Isle of Man; in 1839 in Egremont, Cumberland, England; in 1842 in Ireland; and in 1844-1846 in Ramsey, Isle of Man
DIED 3 June 1860 in Castleton, Isle of Man; his grandson said he visited his grandfather’s grave in Castleton, Isle of Man, and tombstone transcription found -listing him and his death and age 65, with reference to two of his sons who were buried in other countries-William Gill Mills of Salt Lake City, and Anthony Mills of Timaru New Zealand (referenced on the tombstone of their father, Thomas Mills-obviously added later by some relative since the tombstone includes the death dates of the sons).
His widow Jane Mills, widow of Thomas Mills Tinsmith, is living in 1871 census with her youngest daughter Elizabeth and son-in-law Bernard Fitzsimmons in Whitehaven, Cumberland, England.
His widow died 24 Dec 1872 in Whitehaven, Cumberland, England, described as Jane Mills, widow of Thomas Mills tinsmith, and her death was reported by son-in-law Bernard Fitzsimmons (husband of her youngest daughter Elizabeth; he is in some records as Stephen B Fitzsimmons); Her age is given as 73 years, which does not quite match her age in other records but is fairly close [born 1799; other records lists her as born about 1802].
Thomas Mills’ children by his first marriage to Alice McDonald or Alica McDonnell:
(1) John Mills b 14 Jan 1816 in Belfast, Ireland md abt 1836 in Isle of Man to Elizabeth Hall, and died in California USA in 1857 – joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) about 1840 in Isle of Man and emigrated to USA in 1841 on the ship “Rochester” and lived in Nauvoo, Illinois in 1840s where he worked on the Nauvoo Temple using his skills as a tinsmith; was in Iowa USA census in 1850, migrated to Utah and went to California where he had consumption (before he went there or after?); he died of consumption with complications from a mining explosion per letter from Sacramento, CA in 1857- wanted his brother to know he “died in the faith”; and
(2) Margaret who was christened in Dromore, Down, Ireland in Feb 1818.
Thomas Mills’children by his second marriage to Jane Gill:
(3) William Gill MILLS born 1822 in Ardglass, Down, Ireland, married 1853 in Ireland to Louisa Sleater, and died 1895 in Salt Lake City, Utah; joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) in 1840s in Isle of Man – said to have been baptized by his half-brother, John Mills and active there until he migrated to USA in 1855 on the ship”Chimborazo”, and on to Utah in the Andrus company of 1855. He was excommunicated while back in England in 1863 and returned to the USA where he lived in Carthage, Illinois; Salt Lake City, Utah; Arizona; California; and again in Salt Lake City, but never again was associated with the Church.
(4) Thomas Mills born abt 1823 md 1844 in Bradden, Isle of Man, died 1878;
(5) Jane Mills chr 7 Nov 1824 at Carlisle, Cumberland, England; md 1852 at Bradden Isle of Man to Thomas Bailey Bourne (Thomas B Bourne also joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [Mormons] in 1840s in Isle of Man but never left England and appears not to have remained active; they were living in 1861 census of Penkhull, Staffordshire, England, and her youngest sister Elizabeth was living with them there; but Jane Bourne wrote in 1895 from Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England.
(6) Sarah Mills chr 24 Dec 1826 at Carlisle, Cumberland, England md 1847 in Maughold, Isle of Man to William Owen;
(7) Anthony Mills chr 4 Oct 1828 Castletown, Isle of Man—died young;
(8) Henry Mills chr 18 Feb 1831 Castletown, Isle of Man;
(9) Mary Mills chr 15 Mar 1833 Castletown, Isle of Man, md Mr. Wycherley, died 6 Sept 1915 in Belfast, Ireland and bur in Dundonald cemetery there (letter from her daughter, Sarah Young in 1915 living in Belfast, Ireland);
(10) Catherine Mills b 1835 in Castletown, Isle of Man;
(11) George Mills born 1837 in Castletown, Isle of Man;
(12) Anthony Mills [2nd by that name] born 3 Sept 1839 in Egremont, Cumberland, England, md Jane Corkill 2 Nov 1862 in Malew, Isle of Man, died 8 Dec 1903 in Timaru, New Zealand (death found in cemetery database from there,plus family sources);
(13) James Mills born 1842 in Ireland;
(14) Joseph Mills born 1844 in Ramsey, Isle of Man,
(15) Elizabeth Mills born abt 1846 in Ramsey, Isle of Man, md 10 Feb 1867 in Maughold, Isle of Man, Bernard FITZSIMMONS (sometimes listed as Stephen B), born Ireland; lived mostly in England (her mother Jane Mills, widow of Thomas Mills tinsmith, is living with them in the 1871 census in Whitehaven, Cumberland, England). [Ancestor of Richard Anthony Mills BICKERTON]
Letters from cousins indicate that Thomas Mills had a brother named George Mills born about 1807 in Ireland and married Martha, and had 10 children born in Whitehaven, Cumberland, England. In the 1851 census in England, this George Mills has living with him his widowed father, Joseph Mills, born Ireland.
This would indicate that Thomas Mills is the son of Joseph Mills of Ireland.
Richard Anthony Mills BICKERTON is a descendant of the youngest daughter, Elizabeth Mills Fitzsimmons, and is seeking further information on this MILLS family; Sept 2006. Will share information.
Prepared by: Elizabeth Nichols at firstname.lastname@example.org, 8 Hillside Ave #105, Salt Lake City UT 84103 USA