I'm new to this region and am trying to help a friend who does not have a computer. Does anyone recognize this family? Could anyone give me suggestions as to how to continue research in Isle of Man?
John COOKSON Family Group
John COOKSON: b. August 19, 1762; m. Mary JEWSBURY Sept 2, 1802,
Measham, Derby, England; d. sometime after 1835. Buried Kirk Bradden Cemetery, Douglas, Isle of Man. (Collector of customs and excises under Queen Victoria for 50 years; had a summer home, Bala Sala, in Isle of Man; had residence on Moore Lane, ?? location). Wrote several letters from Lancaster to "Dear Brother" Thomas JEWSBURY [f/o sister authors Maria Jane/Geraldine] in the 1820s/30s. Letters passed to daughter Mary Ann and then to family of her brother Charles, in the US)
Mary JEWSBURY: d. Sept 10, 1820. Who is she? A sister of Thomas JEWSBURY?
Children of John/Mary (from family bible)
1. Mary Ann COOKSON: b. July 10, 1803, Measham, Derby; m. John Buck LLOYD Aug 17, 1828; d. ?
2. Ann or Jane COOKSON: b. Dec 30, 1804, Measham, Derby; d. Nov 17, 1851. St. Swift's Dublin (as Ann when b.; as Jane in letters and when died)
3. Thomas Jewsbury COOKSON: b. 1806, Carmathen, Wales; d. Sept 16, 1828, America
4. Charles COOKSON: b. March 14, 1808, Yarmouth, England; d. Nov 19, 1879,Chicago, IL; m. Mary LEWIS (b. July 18, 1818, Manchester; d. Dec 24, 1882, Kansas City, MO; d/o Francis LEWIS/Elizabeth HARTLEY, Manchester; of Francis Lewis & Sons, Manufacturers of cotton spinning machinery) (to America bef. 1858 birth of first child. Widow Mary in 1880 US Census, Chicago with sons, mother Elizabeth, sisinlaw Harriett, brother Joseph)
5. Elizabeth COOKSON: b. Jan 11, 1810, Liverpool, Lancaster
6. Harriet COOKSON: b. May 27, 1811, Liverpool; m. unknown KEMP (in 1880 census as Widow, Chicago)
7. George COOKSON: b. 1812, Mt. Vernon, Liverpool; d. March 23, 1867, Sydney Mount, Douglas (a doctor. Dictated Obituary: In Memory of George Cookson, MD, who d. Saturday Mar 23, 1867, age 54 and whose remains will be removed from Sydney Mount, Douglas for Interment at Kirk Bradden Cemetery on Thursday morning at 10 o'clock. (Douglas, Isle of Man. Where John Cookson, father of Charles, is buried.)
8. Helen COOKSON: b. Nov 20, 1813, Allesley, nr. Coventry, Warwickshire
9. Charlotte COOKSON: b. March 27, 1815, Allesley, nr. Coventry, Warwickshire; d. week of Sept 10, 1820 (buried same day as mother)
10. John COOKSON: b. April 25, 1818, Allesley, nr. Coventry, Warwickshire; d. Sept 8, 1851, at sea (details in letter to Mrs.(MaryAnn) Lloyd; think a captain)
11. Henry COOKSON: b. May 2, 1820, Lancaster; d. Feb 15, 1882 (may be in 1880 US census, Chicago, near Charles/Mary)
Marsha Meere Stringer